• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Jobbs

Banned
do magic archers benefit from strength other than daggers? kinda wanna try this but I've been raised mainly as assassin so far.

Feeroper

I picked this up on PS3. I really like the game but the crappy-ish FPS really bother me. Are the FPS that much better on the 360? I know the 360 version is supposed to have more screen tearing, but I think I'd rather deal with that than the FPS problem.

Do you folks think its worth switching to the 360 in this case? I'm not sure how much better the FPS are overall.

Thanks

Deep Down looks like the next time and I don't even think it'll play like this game. It'll play more like DS.

I fucking hope not, I can't stand DS. Barf.

For new vocations, I'd like them to do away with the way they work now by making 6 vocation categories, each with a subset of 3 classes; basically, light / medium / heavy. Something like this:

Ranged: Strider, daggers and crossbow / Assassin, shortsword and bow / Ranger, knife and longbow.
Melee/Offence: Fighter, 2 shortswords / Knight, longsword or polearm / Warrior, two-handed greatsword.
Melee/Defence: Guardsman, shortsword and buckler / Defender, longsword and shield / Tower Knight, lance and towershield.
Melee/Magic: Spellsword, shortsword and magic / Mystic Knight, same as now / Warlock, warhammer and magic.
Magic: Wizard, wand / Mage, Scepter / Sorcerer, Staff.
Ranged/Magic: Spellcloak, magic crossbow and shortsword or wand / Arcane Ranger, magic longbow and knife or scepter / Magic Archer, magicbow and daggers or staff.

Kyoufu

The sequel has to have manual stat distribution. That one is a no brainier. Right?

I hope so!

Magick Archer is hard guys.

iHfbgj9M0XHec.gif

benzy

Has anyone else gotten this error when launching the game?

Before the game goes to the main menu, a screen showing "Dragon's Dogma Information" shows up, and it says i got a "downloadable content error" stating "due to unforseen circumstances, the two DLc packs New Character Edit Options Pack and Character Edit Options Preview are currently unavailable for download...

Grisby

Oh my god. I spend 10-15 mins killing an eliminator only to have his corpse call in a troll with 7 or so life bars. 25 something minutes later (felt like an eternity) I kill him and have run out of health potions and he's knocked two of my pawns off a cliff.

Open chest in the area and get swallowed by a worm. All progress lost.

#I'mdoneforthenight. Seriously if you want a challenge for Dark Arisen go in as a Sorcerer. I need to start running away or abusing the save system. I hate running away though.

Eusis

My PSN's the same as my user name. Dunno if I'm running out of space or not though, this gen really should have had them kick down the doors on friends lists.
Quick question before I buy this:

PS3 or 360 version?
Pick your poison: sharper FPS dips but V-sync, or higher FPS overall but no v-sync when FPS drops? For the record neither stay at 30 anyway.

I'd also consider controller preference if you can't decide from what I mentioned.

ironcreed

Banned
Man, god forbid you get to the last guy on Bitterblack Isle and decide to warp back for supplies. As you have to go all the way back through hordes of enemies that can one shot you to get back there and even the final area where the boss is that was enemy free before is now packed.

There is well balanced challenge and there is annoying bullshit. This definitely falls into the latter category. A shame, too. As I love the main game to death and it was even my GOTY last year, but some of the stuff here is just unbelievable. Pawns dying left and right, getting one-shotted when you run back to revive them... god damn.

I'm done for the night. Daimon's Ultimate form is set up for long range classes, my fighter is useless against him.

Going to switch to Ranger and try again tomorrow

Suen

My PSN's the same as my user name. Dunno if I'm running out of space or not though, this gen really should have had them kick down the doors on friends lists.

Pick your poison: sharper FPS dips but V-sync, or higher FPS overall but no v-sync when FPS drops? For the record neither stay at 30 anyway.

I'd also consider controller preference if you can't decide from what I mentioned.
Thanks, should be enough information to make a quick decision!

Aside from any technical considerations, there seems to be more GAF players on PS3, almost 2 to 1 going by the google doc, so you'll have more players to recruit pawns from.
That's a plus. Thinking of getting the PS3 version, thanks again guys.

Kyoufu

Isn't it a Dagger skill so i can use it with any vocation that uses Daggers? I assumed it would work since Augments work across Vocations.

Only the basic ones. There is a vocation icon for the exclusive ones which I think are after rank 3 or 4.

That Super Evil Eye or whatever on Bitterblack Isle nearly bodied me, had to emergency Liftstone so I could get out of there before everythign fell apart...

Maybe it's just me not yet being used to it, but is that thing supposed to be that tough? The area feels way too cramped for everything happening between the eye being right there and there being tons of tentacles constantly spawning.

Arklite

I hope so!

Magick Archer is hard guys.

iHfbgj9M0XHec.gif

Damn, my run hasn't been nearly that clean. Been using Magick Archer for a lot of BBI but I get killed in two hits from most bosses. Ran into a room with
two gorecyclops and three of those giant dogs
as Ranger. Holy shit.

Man, god forbid you get to the last guy on Bitterblack Isle and decide to warp back for supplies. As you have to go all the way back through hordes of enemies that can one shot you to get back there and even the final area where the boss is that was enemy free before is now packed.

There is well balanced challenge and there is annoying bullshit. This definitely falls into the latter category. A shame, too. As I love the main game to death and it was even my GOTY last year, but some of the stuff here is just unbelievable. Pawns dying left and right, getting one-shotted when you run back to revive them... god damn.

As someone who's playing DD for the first time and enjoying the non-scaling setup where you can come back at a later time and lay waste to the enemies and withstand a few blows from bigger enemies, it kinda sounds like I won't enjoy the Bitterblack Isle stuff when I get there. I'm not a fan of scaling, or one shot attacks, or bosses with insane life bars that take 15 minutes just because. Plus the Pawns are dumb against easy enemies so I can only imagine how useless they are against the new content. I'll see when I get there, I guess.

Grisby

Anyone got some hot tips to help along my sorecer. My high powered spells can't make a dent in monsters in DA

Life whats some popular spells to always carry on. Is the earthquake spell worth getting back in the racke.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So for a fighter pawn are either Caldablarg or Eden's Ward (god I don't think these are their proper names) better than tight cinquedea as far as raw damage?

ironcreed

Banned
As someone who's playing DD for the first time and enjoying the non-scaling setup where you can come back at a later time and lay waste to the enemies and withstand a few blows from bigger enemies, it kinda sounds like I won't enjoy the Bitterblack Isle stuff when I get there. I'm not a fan of scaling, or one shot attacks, or bosses with insane life bars that take 15 minutes just because. Plus the Pawns are dumb against easy enemies so I can only imagine how useless they are against the new content. I'll see when I get there, I guess.

That is one of the things I love about the main game. You get your ass handed to you at first and then feel the reward of your character growth later and can come back and ace what used to destroy you. There is just not that sense of progression and balance in the expansion and it makes it more of an exercise in patience than fun having to constantly revive your pawns while getting one-shotted in 40 minute fights. Or having to go all the way back through areas loaded with enemies that can one shot you after warping out to store items, buy supplies, etc. It's ridiculous.

njean777

So how do I fast travel? I know there is some kind of stone, but should I just walk everywhere or is there a way to fast travel? I am only in Grand Soren working on the cypher quest.

xCobalt

lol Only one save file per tag/psn.

Question: Have you guys had success with bait in BBI? I'm setting it down where I've gotten ambushed before and nothing happens.

Are you referring to Rancid Bait Meat? I have some in my storage but I have no idea what the point of it is.

phierce

Still pimping my pawn out if anyone needs a mage/healer! She does great for me...hopefully can help some of you if needed. 25-26'ish.

PSN: phierce_

I'll be taking GAF pawns as levels line up!

(also, if you take her, I'm open to feedback; positive or negative. Still a DD rookie)

I don't even know if my pawn is uploaded or not. The game says I'm in offline mode and I can't figure out what's going on ..

Never mind figures it out
My pawn is a level 20 strider named vespian

burgerdog

Are you referring to Rancid Bait Meat? I have some in my storage but I have no idea what the point of it is.

It's just a item to summon mini-bosses like the cursed-dragon, great for DFing items. In other news, I just found an elite lantern, "...casts light brighter and wider than a normal lantern..." and it also lasts longer.

GorillaJu

I cannot clear the room with 3 sorcerers and 2 gore cyclopses. The scorcs one-shot me with the whirlwind spell and I can't do anything about it. There are three of them and one of them always gets it off even if I manage to kill the other two. Not only do I die, but I have to sit and wait while the spell duration goes.

Top Bottom