• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

phierce

Just a heads up for anyone starting out fresh...I found a pretty bad ass level 5 pawn that I meant to post earlier. She's decked out in full dragon forged gear and will be great for several levels. Hell, I think I used her for at least 10 levels.

You have to search by online ID; S-akura-ha_1024 (PSN)

Kyoufu

Leveling system in this game is confusing me.. I played a Mage to level 10 and have been Mystic Knight since then (lvl 22 currently). I've been reading some tips online and apparently I shouldn't even be playing as Mystic Knight until level 100? I have to play as Sorcerer/Ranger for a bunch of levels each first?

Am I really screwing myself by just wanting to play the class I want to play right from the get go? I haven't had much difficulty yet aside from being underprepared/underleveled for certain fights.

Nope. Min/Maxing is unnecessary. You don't have to do it. Armour/Weapons/Augments/Skills will determine how much damage you deal and take in the end.

Trigger

Leveling system in this game is confusing me.. I played a Mage to level 10 and have been Mystic Knight since then (lvl 22 currently). I've been reading some tips online and apparently I shouldn't even be playing as Mystic Knight until level 100? I have to play as Sorcerer/Ranger for a bunch of levels each first?

Am I really screwing myself by just wanting to play the class I want to play right from the get go? I haven't had much difficulty yet aside from being underprepared/underleveled for certain fights.

No, it's more of a min/max thing. If you go fight as a mage for a few levels you'll be a stronger magic knight at the end game. It's not a big deal unless you're very into optimization.

KorrZ

Nope. Min/Maxing is unnecessary. You don't have to do it. Armour/Weapons/Augments/Skills will determine how much damage you deal and take in the end.

No, it's more of a min/max thing. If you go fight as a mage for a few levels you'll be a stronger magic knight at the end game. It's not a big deal unless you're very into optimization.

Thanks guys. I'm having tons of fun as Mystic Knight, didn't really want to switch but didn't want to end up with a worthless character either.

Jobbs

Banned
I agree but ...

img486xiuu1.jpg

Really? There has to be something wrong with my HD install?

Playing it on PS3 and mine looks nothing like that. A bit confused. Does the entire game look like that?

Sanctuary

The Mystic Knight has a balanced stat growth, which many think is the better approach than focusing on all physical or all magic anyway (up until level 100 at least). The main reason to level in the other vocations is for their augments (which transfer between vocations). Even if you don't really feel any desire to do that, grabbing at least Bloodlust (Assassin) will boost your power significantly. Vocation level and character level are seperate too.

In your opinion what is the optimal path for someone who wants to use a sword and shield based warrior at higher levels?

Just switch to assassin as soon as possible and use sword and shield. Maybe spend some time as a warrior to pick up the health bonuses and augments.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't really see the difference between those two pics!

In your opinion what is the optimal path for someone who wants to use a sword and shield based warrior at higher levels?

Probably fighter to level 10, then warrior/assassin for a bit, then back to fighter or stay as assassin.

Ainaurdur

On a related note, last night I took Deified data's Sigurd and Celethalion's Asuna out for a spin while running through some chamberlain quests. I released them a couple of times each with random gifts and equipment, so hopefully you guys got something from me.

My Asuna got quite a bit, thank you! 14k RC, about 4 pieces of gear, and I had a good laugh with the Red Wine! ;)

Hopefully I start getting some more things good enough to send off with the Pawns I pick up. Only level 18 right now. But the things you gifted me also helped me send some gifts along with VindictiveGnome's Gnomito.

RoKKeR

I was watching a review of this the other day, and was so disappointed when I figured out the characters following the player around were AI, not other players.

This game would rock with co-op functionality.

Kyoufu

No... no it's really not.

Yes it is.

I played Demon's and Dark a lot but when it comes to combat, DD has both beat. Different style but at the end of the day, I have much more fun with DD.

Dark Souls is more about crawling dungeons and not dying rather than the actual combat portion.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
No... no it's really not.

Hmmm, honestly when I first began DD I readily agree with you but as I've been playing it, it's becoming harder to whole heartedly believe that. I think there are things both do better from the other amd they could serve to learn or take a thing or two or ten from the other but I'll say that they are both great games that shouldn't be missed.

Moodmon

Neo Member
BBI is just too much for me. Echoing what some have said earlier, the enemies (certainly some of the larger ones) are just damage sponges. I can take the damage they deal, I can even take the mix of enemies in some rooms. I do not have the patience to whittle down a boss for half an hour though.

I liked BBI at first, it is certainly a sizeable chunk of extra content. Had a look at some of the bosses as well, certainly the last one is interesting and different enough. Maybe I am just not in the mood for the relentless barrage BBI provides.

Kyoufu

BBI is just too much for me. Echoing what some have said earlier, the enemies (certainly some of the larger ones) are just damage sponges. I can take the damage they deal, I can even take the mix of enemies in some rooms. I do not have the patience to whittle down a boss for half an hour though.

I liked BBI at first, it is certainly a sizeable chunk of extra content. Had a look at some of the bosses as well, certainly the last one is interesting and different enough. Maybe I am just not in the mood for the relentless barrage BBI provides.

I think you're just using the wrong element or your Pawn group isn't very efficient.

Only boss that takes longer than 5 minutes should be the final one.

V_Arnold

Just went into the Catacombs beneath the Pawn Guildhouse or whatever it is called.

Well,
I spent hours trying to deal with the hydra and then realizing that I should just run - being only lv13 with similar level pawns
, I have not felt this excited about exploring/getting out of a dungeon since Might and Magic VI, damn.

This game delivers!

My Asuna got quite a bit, thank you! 14k RC, about 4 pieces of gear, and I had a good laugh with the Red Wine! ;)

Hopefully I start getting some more things good enough to send off with the Pawns I pick up. Only level 18 right now. But the things you gifted me also helped me send some gifts along with VindictiveGnome's Gnomito.

You can add me if you need a good strider pawn. She's good all around with good Armor stats and skills :)

Eusis

Not true.

Not everyone plays hyper optimized characters.
I think it actually depends more on if you're messing around a lot or not. I just did the quest for the
Wyrmking ring and killed the guy with regular attacks stupid fast, on a warrior-type that was a sorcerer for only a handful of levels. My pawns likely were a key factor though, but I was level 49.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
All these impressions had me almost worried about waking up a GoreCyclops...

Then I wrecked him in about 7 minutes. Without my assassin augs on as well.

Gonna have to mix up my pawns or spec straight for my assassin when I go beat dat boss tho.. he is a crazy bastard.

Sera O

Banned

Good to hear! My retinue always got the wine going. We're a party in more ways than one.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So does anyone have a mage/sorcerer pawn over level 30 with High anodyne, fire affinity, holy affinity, and ice affinity?

It would be ultra awesome if you did and I would rent him/her forever.

That bishop/wight/lich/whatever and the cursed dragon was one of the toughest fights I've ever done, that shit just got too chaotic at times with how many spells were being cast.

Getting through it gave me one of the best feelings ever, though.

phierce

So does anyone have a mage/sorcerer pawn over level 30 with High anodyne, fire affinity, holy affinity, and ice affinity?

It would be ultra awesome if you did and I would rent him/her forever.
My Mage, who is Util/Med inclination, will be 30+ (almost 29 now) today. She will have all of those spells, as well.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I'm new to this game. Just got to Gran Soren, but is there anything crucial to know before I continue? I've picked up so much shit that I'm up to "heavy" carrying. Is all this stuff ever useful?

Eusis

Some thoughts on the Pawn PSN/XBL list:

1. Some XBL people seem to be putting their information over on the PS3 side. Either they need to notice the pawn spaces given on the left, or there needs to be a little column separating the two lists.

2. We CAN search and add via PSN/XBL, so an idea as an alternative to friending would be to search for everyone's pawn, favorite them, then leave it at that.
Dogma's combat would blow Souls out of the water if it had Soul's variety of weapons and fighting styles, IMO.
I do feel it's a case of it being more about two different flavors and which you prefer, but they both murder Skyrim's combat.

Then again I think Link to the Past murdered Skyrim's combat, so it really isn't that hard to do for anyone.

Maybe those who are having trouble should farm Ur-Dragon/Everfall for some decent weapons?

I think this is what I need to do. I am having a lot of trouble taking out anything with multiple lifebars in a decent amount of time. I played the full main game as one character class (fighter) would it also be beneficial to switch now at high lvl 50's?

xCobalt

I'm new to this game. Just got to Gran Soren, but is there anything crucial to know before I continue? I've picked up so much shit that I'm up to "heavy" carrying. Is all this stuff ever useful?

Once you get to Gran Soren, you can switch to a new class at the innkeeper. In regards to items, if the description says something like "used in the crafting of armor and weapons" or "a combinable material" just store it for future use. When you upgrade weapons and armor or making curatives, those items will be useful to have stocked up.

Eusis

I think this is what I need to do. I am having a lot of trouble taking out anything with multiple lifebars in a decent amount of time. I played the full main game as one character class (fighter) would it also be beneficial to switch now at high lvl 50's?
You should've been juggling the whole time just to see what you'd like. But I think most of the equipment carries over to Mystic Knight if you want to try that now.

Trigger

Go to the inn. You can store most of it. A chunk of the stuff you pick up won't be terribly useful unless you love crafting.

Top Bottom