• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

watching my warrior pawn fight a mino head-on was the most amazing shit i've seen in a while. one time he missed his brutal swing and heaved a mage down the pit in the process.

Complete noob here. Should I pick up DD first or just go straight to DA?

Pick up DA - it has the entire original DD game and all of the DLC from DD - the DLC will activate (quests, gear) as you progress through the story and/or visit shops.

DA's content, Bitterblack Isle, can be accessed at any time, at night, at the pier in Casardis, the starting town.

Bernbaum

A tip to whoever owns the mage pawn Liara: in my experience mages tend to do much better with only one affinity spell at a time. Fire will suffice for 90% of the game, really.

Noted. I'm rocking a support mage as my main pawn and have her loaded with three buffing spells. Will swap out the others for offensive spells.

Bernbaum

So, the infinite ferrystone:

Converted my DD: Vanilla save and I had two ferrystones in inventory. Used one to warp to Gran Soren, and there was a ferrystone in front of me at the portgate which I immediately picked up. I assumed that was the 'infinite' part of the ferrystone.

Used a ferrystone a second time, and there wasn't a replacement waiting for me. I now have one ferrystone in my inventory but it isn't labelled uniquely in anyway.

Is that my 'infinite ferrystone' or have I done goofed?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
A tip to whoever owns the mage pawn Liara: in my experience mages tend to do much better with only one affinity spell at a time. Fire will suffice for 90% of the game, really.

She knows which ones to use with which enemies though. She'll cast fire for goblins/wolves and ice for saurians/bandits. She's smart. But short.

Sigurd's sword-arm is on call for anyone who needs a lv.40 warrior.

DragonsDogma_DarkArisenScreenshot_zpsd3efcea9.jpg

Edit: Nevermind, that's Onion_relish's pawn.

Converted my DD: Vanilla save and I had two ferrystones in inventory. Used one to warp to Gran Soren, and there was a ferrystone in front of me at the portgate which I immediately picked up. I assumed that was the 'infinite' part of the ferrystone.

Used a ferrystone a second time, and there wasn't a replacement waiting for me. I now have one ferrystone in my inventory but it isn't labelled uniquely in anyway.

You should have one waiting for you in storage.

It's the same game. DA is just an expansion basically preinstalled. Get DA obviously for all the released content in one package.

Pick up DA - it has the entire original DD game and all of the DLC from DD - the DLC will activate (quests, gear) as you progress through the story and/or visit shops.

DA's content, Bitterblack Isle, can be accessed at any time, at night, at the pier in Casardis, the starting town.

Thanks! I was seeing some concern in the thread about DA's grinding. Didn't know if that was in the original or something that came about only in the add-on.

Sanctuary

The infinite is clearly marked as eternal.

Eternal Ferrystone should be in your warehouse.

Bernbaum

Thanks Deified Data, Sanctuary and we.are.the.armada.

Guess I shoulda dumped all my remaining ferrystones for coin.

I should note that I'm still early game. Only have ports in Gran Soren and Cassardis.

I've only just opened up the palace after handing in my Wyrm hunt license. Do major centers all have a port or do I have to start placing portstones? Can they be purchased?

I think I put 30 hours into this just doing sidequests before completing the Wym hunt. Still not fatigued by the game yet.

broham

Having a support mage with more than one buff can lead to hilarious situations where they give the rest of the party a useful buff and you a useless buff. The first time I went through the everfall my mage pawn was giving everyone fire enchants, except for me. He would give me an ice enchantment, which was useless against the types of enemies we were fighting. He did this for the entire time we were in there. If pawns weren't soulless husks I would've thought he was mad at me or something.

emag

Maybe those who are having trouble should farm Ur-Dragon/Everfall for some decent weapons?

Probably. I'm still using stuff that's not much better than what Caxton sells while at level 70-something; even regular game bandits and goblins take half a dozen arrows or a full dagger combo sequence to kill (on hard, as Magical Archer/Assassin).

I really hate XP/drop farming as a game mechanic, though; I got through the base game (including Everfall) my first time without having to do so. What appealed to me about DD was that you could almost approach the game more like a Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta, where if you played well (and didn't sequence break too badly), you could kill anything (and within a reasonable amount of time, too). BBI is a real wake-up call in that regard.

Having a support mage with more than one buff can lead to hilarious situations where they give the rest of the party a useful buff and you a useless buff. The first time I went through the everfall my mage pawn was giving everyone fire enchants, except for me. He would give me an ice enchantment, which was useless against the types of enemies we were fighting. He did this for the entire time we were in there. If pawns weren't soulless husks I would've thought he was mad at me or something.

The setup I use on my Util/Med support mage pawn is High Healing (whatever), High Antidote (whatever), Holy Affinity and three area buffs/debuffs. That way she takes care of the priorities and spends the rest of her time helping at least a little. Having multiple elemental affinities/boons in the party just screws things up in my experience.

Unfortunately, I'm currently leveling her up as a Sorcerer and the support mage pawns I'm hiring are all screwed up.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

That's weird then cause my pawn only buffs me depending on the enemy. I guess it takes some time after fighting the enemy for the star ranks to go up for knowledge?

Probably. I'm still using stuff that's not much better than what Caxton sells while at level 70-something; even regular game bandits and goblins take half a dozen arrows or a full dagger combo sequence to kill (on hard, as Magical Archer/Assassin).

I really hate XP/drop farming as a game mechanic, though; I got through the base game (including Everfall) my first time without having to do so. What appealed to me about DD was that you could almost approach the game more like a Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta, where if you played well (and didn't sequence break too badly), you could kill anything (and within a reasonable amount of time, too). BBI is a real wake-up call in that regard.

This is what I hate about this so far...I don't mind a challenge but if the only answer is spend more time wasting your time...then fuck it.

This has been my experience, too. So good on the people who are doing well with more than one boon - for me it's always been a recipe for disaster. As worldrevolution said it's probably more to do with experience than anything else.

Thanks Deified Data, Sanctuary and we.are.the.armada.

Guess I shoulda dumped all my remaining ferrystones for coin.

I should note that I'm still early game. Only have ports in Gran Soren and Cassardis.

I've only just opened up the palace after handing in my Wyrm hunt license. Do major centers all have a port or do I have to start placing portstones? Can they be purchased?

I think I put 30 hours into this just doing sidequests before completing the Wym hunt. Still not fatigued by the game yet.

You'll have to place your own Ports except for G.Soren, Cassardis, and Bitterblack Isle. After the Wyrm Hunt quests I think that you'll have 2 portstones to use and I'd recommend placing these at the Blue Moon Tower (later in the game, due to it's location and repeat visits) and the Barta Crag Greatwall Camp (far to the north).

Bernbaum

You'll have to place your own Ports except for G.Soren, Cassardis, and Bitterblack Isle. After the Wyrm Hunt quests I think that you'll have 2 portstones to use and I'd recommend placing these at the Blue Moon Tower (later in the game, due to it's location and repeat visits) and the Barta Crag Greatwall Camp (far to the north).

Excellent - will do.

Is it just the two?

I really don't mind the backtracking in this game. It's actually part of the appeal.

After well over an hour on Daimon, with half a health bar left, I died.

I'm so mad right now, but all I want to do is just back in and hope that I actually beat it this time.

Edit: What would be a good team composition for it? I have a Sorcerer pawn, hired a mage for healing, and am a Magick Archer myself. Any recommendations for a fourth would be much appreciated.

What happened to the one that spawns at Bluemoon Tower? You can get 2 crystals before even meeting the Duke.

Excellent - will do.

Is it just the two?

I really don't mind the backtracking in this game. It's actually part of the appeal.

Yeah, these two are by far the longest, mandatory backtracks in the game. Also, they are great spots for farming/questkills so having the ports there are very convenient.

After well over an hour on Daimon, with half a health bar left, I died.

I'm so mad right now, but all I want to do is just back in and hope that I actually beat it this time.

Damn dude :/

Hey were you using my pawn? She's lv130ish Sorc. Gimme a minute, I'll rest at an inn and re-up her right now for you Smed. Also, kill an Ur-dragon a couple times and get like 50 wakestones.

Damn dude :/

Hey were you using my pawn? She's lv130ish Sorc. Gimme a minute, I'll rest at an inn and re-up her right now for you Smed. Also, kill an Ur-dragon a couple times and get like 50 wakestones.

I was really considering using her, but I didn't want to trivialize the fight potentially. But now that I'm going for my salty runback, I'm really considering it! And I used like... at least 10 Wakestones during that fight, that grab of his is ridiculous. Just need to bring in like 30 Wakestones before I attempt it again, lol.

Edit: Great, got sent right back before that Living Armor boss fight, but at least that's not too bad... still, so much progress lost.

Also, Armada, with your pawn being level 131, I won't lose a bunch of experience from fights, will I?

and no one is using my shitty ass pawn lo (PSN: Roynell317 btw)l...

i have gotten no RC since I got DA.

see this is why no one likes you girl.

My pawns don;t seem to understand this so they tend to get tornado'd to death.

Your pawns will die a lot in BBI.

My pawns kept on getting wiped out by that area of effect Holy Spell with the lasers. The
sorc
can also perma kill your pawns somehow. Luckily I avoided that in the fight I actually beat him in.

Since you're an assassin dire gouge is good on the dragon since it can't hit you except with the grab slam if you are on its arm. After the
sorc
combines with the dragon that's your time to do as much damage as you can as quickly as possible. Beat him there and the
sorc
will be helpless on the ground for quite a while. I used the improved whirlwind sword skill to whittle him down at that point.

Also they should add something like in Persona 4 where as your bond with your mates (pawn in this instance) grows you get benefits like assist attacks and they can take hits for you.

At least then they would have some use outside of getting one shotted endlessly.

Daimons attacks make it difficult to get off big spells, I wouldn't use a sorcerer on him if I didn't have too. My run with 3 rangers and a mage buffing Light magic was my fastest run killing him

Kyoufu

What level should one be before goign to BBI in any form?

It's not about levels. It's about gear/weapons. It's best to get some gear from Ur-Dragon/Everfall before going to BBI unless you're really confident in your ability.

Also guys, carry Spring Water/Large Mushrooms. Makes the bosses much easier. You can even out-heal Maelstrom lol.

It's not about levels. It's about gear/weapons. It's best to get some gear from Ur-Dragon/Everfall before going to BBI unless you're really confident in your ability.

Also guys, carry Spring Water/Large Mushrooms. Makes the bosses much easier. You can even out-heal Maelstrom lol.

Where do you get both of those?

Kyoufu

Where do you get both of those?

Spring Water at any Healing Spring in Gransys. The closest one is north-west of Gran Soren. Past the bridge but before Hillfigure Knoll.

You will need to buy Empty Flasks which are from the item shop vendor beside Caxton in Gran Soren. She also sells Large Mushrooms.

RangerBAD

Yeah. I just never let it cast it. When the Dragon dies the Sorcerer will come down allowing you to wail on it. Hundred Kisses will stagger it so it never gets a spell off lol.

It was worse in the three undead pawns room with the two chained cyclops.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Got the game today, and I know I voiced my opinions about how the controls seemed off when I first tried the demo for the original game...

...but for some reason, the controls don't seem as bad as before? Something still feels a bit off, but I'm not as annoyed with it this time around.

Anyway, made it to the capitol, I think I'm hitting level 10 as a Strider right now.

Kyoufu

Got the game today, and I know I voiced my opinions about how the controls seemed off when I first tried the demo for the original game...

...but for some reason, the controls don't seem as bad as before? Something still feels a bit off, but I'm not as annoyed with it this time around.

Anyway, made it to the capitol, I think I'm hitting level 10 as a Strider right now.

Type E forever.

It was worse in the three undead pawns room with the two chained cyclops.

I imagine that one is rough for melee vocations.

Alucrid

Banned
Just added myself to the pawn list. So few 360 players on there. That said I took a short dive into BBI today. Got to a boss but didn't bother with trying to face him since I was only ~30, got some decent gear though from the cursed items.

Pawns can be really amazing sometimes. I had a ranger pawn I just picked up take off 1 1/2 bars off Death by her self in 2 shots! Not sure what the attack was, but strong light magic arrows to the face fuck him right up.

Sometimes the pawns are morons, get stuck in a corner or follow me around doing nothing, but once in a while everyone works together and even the toughest opponents get murdered in short order.

RangerBAD

I sniped the sorcerers from the balcony then booked it past the big guys without fighting them.

I finally did that, but my pawns would always get owned by Maelstrom and I would go in to revive them and get a mouth full off black whirlwinds. Meteor shot is what ultimately got me through it.

Kyoufu

Pawns can be really amazing sometimes. I had a ranger pawn I just picked up take off 1 1/2 bars off Death by her self in 2 shots! Not sure what the attack was, but strong light magic arrows to the face fuck him right up.

Sometimes the pawns are morons, get stuck in a corner or follow me around doing nothing, but once in a while everyone works together and even the toughest opponents get murdered in short order.

Yeah I actually did some decent damage to Death when I gave the Sorcerer pawn the boot in favour of another Ranger.

<3 Ranger.

Top Bottom