• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Pawns can be really amazing sometimes. I had a ranger pawn I just picked up take off 1 1/2 bars off Death by her self in 2 shots! Not sure what the attack was, but strong light magic arrows to the face fuck him right up.

Sometimes the pawns are morons, get stuck in a corner or follow me around doing nothing, but once in a while everyone works together and even the toughest opponents get murdered in short order.

The attack is Deathly Arrow.

Pyrrhus

Man, what's up with all the wolves carrying bags of 10,000 gold pieces? It's happening constantly. If they've got this much money why don't they stop eating people and go into real estate or something?

Kyoufu

Man, what's up with all the wolves carrying bags of 10,000 gold pieces? It's happening constantly. If they've got this much money why don't they stop eating people and go into real estate or something?

10000 is pennies endgame. They're still broke by high level standards.

GorillaJu

I sniped the sorcerers from the balcony then booked it past the big guys without fighting them.

Yeah, I just switched to Mystic Knight, sat on the balcony and fired Great Cannon at them, cleared the room eventually including the two cyclopses. Took maybe 10-15 minutes-ish. Great Cannon is a great spell and you can stack 3 of them at a time.

The two pawns I hired are outlevelling me, but I love them passionately so I'm paying RC to hire them. First time I've ever done this.

Oh well, with 5 million RC, spending 7k to hire them is nothing

Beat Daimon the second time. I think the biggest part about it was not really knowing how to fight him that well the first time, and that led to me using a ton of Wakestones in the first 1/4 of the fight. The boss is still a bit too ridiculous at times though.

RangerBAD

Beat Daimon the second time. I think the biggest part about it was not really knowing how to fight him that well the first time, and that led to me using a ton of Wakestones in the first 1/4 of the fight. The boss is still a bit too ridiculous at times though.

What's a good strategy?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Was wondering if any one had tested this -

Does the Bloodlust aug for assassin's simply apply ALL the time in BBI? Or never? There is no day/night cycle that I can tell and i'm worried I may be wasting a slot...

xCobalt

Just finish my first run through BBI. Managed to get a good longbow and daggers for my ranger. Not sure what's more effective though...pure attack weapons or weaker weapons with an enchantment. Might carry both sets around depending on the encounter. After purifying all of my bitterblack stuff, I only have 3000 RC left. :(

Grisby

After a day or two of stilted progress I made some good headroom today. It was my equipment that was mostly slowing me down. After getting a new staff that boosted my magic by 300 something points I was having better luck against the monsters of the deep. Only took me 3 or 4 tries to bring down the Sorcerer and the Dragon.

Oh, and I learned Maelstrom. Which wrecks shit.

Card Boy

Banned
I failed Lost and Found aswell :(

Barnaby from the Pawn Guild made me go on some quest underneath the city. I thought it was an optional quest and i can't revert to a earlier save game....

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Found this piece of Capcoms DA site

http://www.capcom.co.jp/DD-DA/new.html

And it sounds like to use the new skills you have to find a piece of BBI jewelry that has the enhanced level of the skill on it. Then you just use the appropriate skill and - there you have it - enhanced back kick or whatever...

Kind of disappointing if thats the extent of it. And i really really really hope it's just for 2 skills per class.

Naked Lunch

First time playing Dogma - I waited for Dark Arisen to jump in because its a great deal getting the original game and the expansion.

This game is like Dungeons and Dragons come to life in videogame form - where others have failed over the years. Its hard to describe but the sense of discovery and adventure is just pulled off magnificently here. There's this sense of wonder and charm around every corner. Its got the vibe of the older Capcom arcade D&D games - and im also picking up some Magic Sword stuff with the pawn system. Even the way the quests are tied together seems like more effort was spent than most similar games (the Hydra fight - and the following mission of the wagon carrying the hydra head to the city as one example). It doesn't hurt having a great combat system that's actually fun to play - unlike many other open world RPGs.

Such a great game - im taking my time and having a blast.

xCobalt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74g27_Y7ACQ

Interesting video concerning cursed items. Here's a quick rundown if you don't want to watch. The cursed items you purify seem to be based on your class. If you save before purifying an item and switch vocations of you and your pawn you'll get a different result. It seems that if you and your pawn are, for example, the fighter/warrior class, you're more likely to get equipment for that class. You can't keep switching vocations for different items though. You'll get the same item for that particular vocation every time.

His difficulty is more about learning his moves and how to avoid them. I've fought first form 3 times and each time it gets easier. I didn't use any wake stones on him the last time.

emag

Um Lost & Found quest failed? I was gonna get to it later. I hate when games do that.

I think Lost & Found is the only quest of that nature (time/other-quest-sensitive). That said, there are some points in the game where outstanding quests will fail, but for those you'll have ample warning.

What's a good strategy?

I just strafed around and shot arrows as a Magick Archer, barely used any of my skills, except for certain attacks where he's charging. The most important thing as a ranged character is to always keep moving.

His difficulty is more about learning his moves and how to avoid them. I've fought first form 3 times and each time it gets easier. I didn't use any wake stones on him the last time.

Yeah, definitely. The first time around, I lost like, at least four Wakestones before I even got rid of two of his health bars. That fight is definitely built around avoiding damage at all costs, since he does so much damage if you get hit. I think next time I might try as a Ranger. I felt like I was doing such little damage with Magick Archer since it was hard to really aim for his head with the sort of lock-on that the vocation has. But who knows, maybe I'm just bad, lol.

Can't wait to go through Bitterblack Isle again, though. Some of the gear I got from Daimon was incredibly great.

Sanctuary

I know right! It almost makes up for not having that original theme.

No way. Nothing can possibly make up for the new main theme replacing the DD equivalent (but much better) of SF4's Invincible. It's bad enough that DD has the longest running time EVER from the time you load the game until the time you actually get to control your character thanks to the multiple DLC and server checks, but having to hear the new song the entire time is just adding on top of the insult.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I think Lost & Found is the only quest of that nature (time/other-quest-sensitive). That said, there are some points in the game where outstanding quests will fail, but for those you'll have ample warning.

That's good I guess. Still annoying, because I tried to do it at like level 6 or something, but the bandits were insane damage sponges I just said fuck it, I'll come back later.

Should I be buying gear for my pawn? I don't think I've looted a single piece of gear.

Bernbaum

A few impressions from importing my DD: Vanilla into DA after about 5 hours:

-Texture pack is noticeable. Not mindblowing, but tidier overall. Dithering in shadow-filled forests still sucks, as do some unlit night-time areas. Just a grey mess as before.
-Far less screen tearing. Will notice it occasionally, but nowhere near as glaring.
-Quicker, snappier menus. My favourite improvement. Pause the game, and bam I can flick to the Quests, Map or Inventory submenus much quicker.
-Less stupid dialog. Wolves still hunt in packs though.
-The old menu song was goofy as hell but now I miss it!

Haven't touched much of the new content, and I never picked up any of the DLC but from a performance perspective, this a much smoother, more enjoyable experience for a game that was already great.

Sanctuary

That's good I guess. Still annoying, because I tried to do it at like level 6 or something, but the bandits were insane damage sponges I just said fuck it, I'll come back later.

Should I be buying gear for my pawn? I don't think I've looted a single piece of gear.

You just have to complete Lost and Found before your first trip through the Pawn guild to
the Everfall
And yeah, buy whatever you can that's an upgrade. Typically by the time the armorer upgrades their stock, you will have found a few items for your pawn to actually wear.

Card Boy

Banned

I came across lots of good gear in the Quarry and the Southwestern caves. I found a Caladbolg for my pawn, It does like 315 physical and 315 magic damage.

My Pawn is decked out in found armor.

I Yeah, definitely. The first time around, I lost like, at least four Wakestones before I even got rid of two of his health bars. That fight is definitely built around avoiding damage at all costs, since he does so much damage if you get hit. I think next time I might try as a Ranger. I felt like I was doing such little damage with Magick Archer since it was hard to really aim for his head with the sort of lock-on that the vocation has. But who knows, maybe I'm just bad, lol.

Can't wait to go through Bitterblack Isle again, though. Some of the gear I got from Daimon was incredibly great.
Ranger is a good class for him, tenfold shot with light arrows do decent damage.

Maybe you already saw in the thread, but the bad news is the second time you beat him,
he transforms into a much more powerful version with just as much health and way more defense and totally different attacks. I still haven't tried to fight him again, he just wrecked me.

Sera O

Banned
Whew. Just reached the credits with pawns Sway and Alissa in tow.

That whole last part was crazytown. Awesome final battle, and also nuts due to (ending spoilers)
the weird relationship stuff. I gave my bond ring to that skeevy backstabbing blond guy for shits and giggles, but it seems my intended fled the country before he could be properly imperiled. Is it just virtually random depending on whose quest lines get done? Grigori kidnapped the child-bride duchess who I only continued to save because the duke was sketchy as heck.

This game has a lot of rough edges and the world is sort of sketched rather than painted, but I've enjoyed it immensely and really hope they are able to make another one. It is the most fun I've ever had with battling in this genre and it feels like it's coming from a really fresh perspective.

Ranger is a good class for him, tenfold shot with light arrows do decent damage.

Maybe you already saw in the thread, but the bad news is the second time you beat him,
he transforms into a much more powerful version with just as much health and way more defense and totally different attacks. I still haven't tried to fight him again, he just wrecked me.

Yeah, I saw that from the DD Wiki, and I'm not gonna rush on fighting him again, at least not anytime soon, lol. Do the rest of the bosses have any changes on the second time through or no?

Yeah, I saw that from the DD Wiki, and I'm not gonna rush on fighting him again, at least not anytime soon, lol. Do the rest of the bosses have any changes on the second time through or no?
The two unique boss battles like Gazer and Dark Bishop (I forget his actual name, the sorcerer with the cursed dragon) are the same. However almost everything else in BBI...the types of monsters, their locations and how many you're forced to fight at once, most of that changes. An example would be instead of fighting one Eliminator, now there might be two or three. Instead of a cockatrice there might be a powered up Drake instead.

GorillaJu

So the last two fights were pretty straightforward and didnt cause me any trouble. Despite my frustrations earlier on I'm happy with this xpack.

Mystic Knight made both the living armor and Daimon simple affairs but the Daimon fight was still really long. Watched as my character sat stunned on the ground from a lightning bolt, my pawn has 10 arrows queued in her bow, I popped a Pilgrim's Charm and bam, 157k x2 exp.

The two unique boss battles like Gazer and Dark Bishop (I forget his actual name, the sorcerer with the cursed dragon) are the same. However almost everything else in BBI...the types of monsters, their locations and how many you're forced to fight at once, most of that changes. An example would be instead of fighting one Eliminator, now there might be two or three. Instead of a cockatrice there might be a powered up Drake instead.

Well... I think I might take a break from Bitterblack Isle for a while...

It just occurred to me, at Duskmoon Tower that I should have used the Moonstones i found to open the doors, look inside the chests and then kill myself. Rinse and repeat until I found the equipment I wanted.

Now I'm stuck with a bunch of shit I can't use.

Eusis

Dabbling in BBI now that I-'m level 50 (well, I re-entered at 49.)

I think DD may be one of the better 3D platformers this gen.

GorillaJu

On your second run through do you get more level 3 drops or do you need to kill Daimon again to get more?

Might just be better to make a sub account, hire your main accounts pawn, level up to 50ish and then gift your gear back to your main.

xCobalt

It just occurred to me, at Duskmoon Tower that I should have used the Moonstones i found to open the doors, look inside the chests and then kill myself. Rinse and repeat until I found the equipment I wanted.

Now I'm stuck with a bunch of shit I can't use.

The equipment in those chests don't change.

The equipment in those chests don't change.
I know, that's what I'm saying. You open a door, find out what is inside, and if you don't want it just Godsbane yourself. Then respawn and try another door.

Edit: wait, I think it might save right after you use a stone on a door. Nevermind

burgerdog

Spring Water at any Healing Spring in Gransys. The closest one is north-west of Gran Soren. Past the bridge but before Hillfigure Knoll.

You will need to buy Empty Flasks which are from the item shop vendor beside Caxton in Gran Soren. She also sells Large Mushrooms.

There's a healing spring in one of the safe houses in BBI, too.

xCobalt

I know, that's what I'm saying. You open a door, find out what is inside, and if you don't want it just Godsbane yourself. Then respawn and try another door.

Edit: wait, I think it might save right after you use a stone on a door. Nevermind

Ah ok. I found this post on gamefaqs so hopefully this will help.
First level - South chests
-- Left-most: Adept's Robe (not sure if that was the loot)
-- Center chest: Dragon's Glaze (ice longbow)
-- Right chest: : Trophy Jacket

First level - East chests
-- Upper/left one: Dragon's Ire (fire shortbow)
-- Lower/right one: A ring that makes you gain DPS faster I think

Second level (this chest is only reachable by doing some jumpy jumps and levitates I think; it's located under an arch tunnel, on the north-west side of the map)
- An accessory ring that will make you immune to "drenched". For those who reached the bottom levels of BBI, they know that it's a very useful ring.

Third level (there's a chest north-west in a cove IIRC)
-- Adept's Mantle (cape)

burgerdog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74g27_Y7ACQ

Interesting video concerning cursed items. Here's a quick rundown if you don't want to watch. The cursed items you purify seem to be based on your class. If you save before purifying an item and switch vocations of you and your pawn you'll get a different result. It seems that if you and your pawn are, for example, the fighter/warrior class, you're more likely to get equipment for that class. You can't keep switching vocations for different items though. You'll get the same item for that particular vocation every time.

I knew it, excuse me...

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

No wonder I have 15 staves.

Ah ok. I found this post on gamefaqs so hopefully this will help.
Awesome, thanks! I did a few Google searches this morning and couldn't find anything.
Quick question: as a Strider can I earn Discipline points, switch to Fighter, then use those DP to buy the Vehemence augment?
yes. DP points can be used on any class you want. You might need to level up the vocation of the fighter to get access to the augment you want, however

DP points can be used on any class you want. You might need to level up the vocation of the fighter to get access to the augment you want, however

Rats. I don't want to level up as a fighter, but I heard there's a way to rank up fast without gaining much EXP. It involves killing undead that a Lich spawns near the Great Wall.

Sanctuary

Not even in post-game yet (took a side-trip to Bitterblack at 46) and I ended up with a pair of Chilling Razors. That's cool, although I'm kind of annoyed that my dagger's magick attack is 987 and my bow's is still only 699.

Magick Archer is amazing!!!! <3

So many options for destruction when in dungeons with lots of narrow passages; Richochet Hunter especially. Rivet and Immolation are pretty great too. Rivet kind of reminds me of Corpse Explosion, since that's pretty much what it does to a big group of enemies.

Rats. I don't want to level up as a fighter, but I heard there's a way to rank up fast without gaining much EXP. It involves killing undead that a Lich spawns near the Great Wall.

You don't have to level up your character as a Fighter. Just stay with the Fighter while you gain DCP for it's vocation. Then when your character is about to level, switch back to Strider, kill something until you level, then switch back to Fighter. Or just wait until you're in your 40's before switching to Fighter to quickly level up it's vocation fast, without it actually taking your character to the next level.

I really love this game, BBI made me fall in love all over again.

I look forward to beating Daimon 2.0 tomorrow, I think I got that motherfucker figured out. I'll let you know how I do, GAF

Top Bottom