• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

2San

I'm so tempted to buy this on 360 but I wish there was a PC port of this.

I'm thinking a PC port may happen,or it may never happen. So I think I'll just take "the middle road" on this and wait for it. Wait for a PC port. If it is debunked, I'll just jump on DA :D.
It's so weird, I don't really expect PC ports from other publishers. This is Capcom however one of the Japanese devs that do PC ports justice. :| I'll probably bite after the finals are over.

Went magic archer in the everfall at post game...
I meet a metal golem when I have a warrior, a sorc and a mage pawn...

The golem randomly flailed around in the middle and his the last crystal tolow hp but after 15 mins of trying to jump from his head to hit the fucking thing I just teleported out, fuck that noise.

This seems like the first stupid oversight in the game.

Not impressed with magic archer either, it's no fun to play (first class I'm not enjoying)

edit:
Does anyone on ps3 around lvl 55-60 have a good mage or sorc pawn?
It's really annoying trying to find a medicant mage with the right skills and boons and a sorc with a good variety of elemental spells who isn't guardian or nexus or some crap:(

Skilletor

The golem randomly flailed around in the middle and his the last crystal tolow hp but after 15 mins of trying to jump from his head to hit the fucking thing I just teleported out, fuck that noise.

Not impressed with magic archer either, it's no fun to play (first class I'm not enjoying)

edit:
It's really annoying trying to find a medicant mage with the right skills and boons and a sorc with a good variety of elemental spells who isn't guardian or nexus or some crap:(

I might. Let me see what skills I've got. What are you looking for?

Sanctuary

Miasma is pretty amazing, it's a pity more people don't take advantage of it.

It's one of my favorite spells in the game, but that might just be nostalgia clouding my judgement. Life as a lowbie Sorc sucked for me until I had High Miasma, and then I started feeling powerful. The cast time on it too seems pretty good for what you get. Sometimes I keep it even after I have all of the higher level abilities unlocked, but sometimes it's hard to decide, especially if you're either the only caster, or just impatient when it comes to buffs.

My Sorcerer usually has:
High Comestion
High Levin (I don't like Brontide on a Sorc, and Fulmination was too specific, but I think it will work pretty well in BBI)
Affinity of some type (Usually Fire > Holy, but Ice for drakes and Dark for one fight)
High Exequy or High Voidspell (although eventually it's kind of useless compared to just using panacea and it doesn't remove curses like the description makes you think it would)
High Frigor (I use Gicel on drakes, but not much else)
High Bolide or Maelstrom just depending on what I'm in the mood for and the location.

At that point Miasma just gets used in the more cramped dungeons when enemies are either really clustered, or they don't have a specific weakness to abuse easily. But it's not that often. I have never been able to justify Seism, although some swear by it.

edit:

This is going to sound really stupid (I never thought about it until later), but I *think* you can actually hit the amulets with a staff that's not enchanted. I *think* the unenchanted staff is physical, but I haven't bothered to check and I don't typically carry a staff on my MA anymore. That last amulet was pissing me off too, but fortunately I got lucky and it took me only a few minutes to hit it. Also, do you actually have all of the MA skills unlocked? I would agree that the class is rather "bleh" at the lower vocational levels. Once you have a decent bow though, as well as Explosive Bolt, Ricochet Hunter and Immolation it completely wrecks most anything. It also has a pretty sizeable advantage over drake and wyrm types on top of being able to abuse elemental weaknesses that are quite varied in BBI. It's also arguably one of the best (if not *the* best) at killing Ur when using Hunter's Bolt.

phierce

edit:
My Mage is pretty kick ass. She's Util/Med for inclination. Currently level 69...and probably will be until Monday...it sucks, but busy as hell this weekend.

Edit: PSN phierce_

I might. Let me see what skills I've got. What are you looking for?

Holy affinity, optional ice affinity (or an ice spell), and a good range of elemental spells.
The meteor spell or something is cool , not a huge fan of mealstorm as in the small everfall rooms it completely blinds me.
Many sorc pawns have nothing but high lvl LONG casttime spells equipped so they rarely get to cast since they keep being interrupted.

I'm not sure what a sorc needs to kill a wraith but my current sorc pawn does nothing against it and killing them as magic archer takes forever.

I'm really not sure what makes for a good allround post game sorc pawn tbh, maybe someone else can tell us.

Sanctuary

Holy affinity, optional ice affinity (or an ice spell), and a good range of elemental spells.
The meteor spell or something is cool , not a huge fan of mealstorm as in the small everfall rooms it completely blinds me.
Many sorc pawns have nothing but high lvl LONG casttime spells equipped so they rarely get to cast since they keep being interrupted.

I'm not sure what a sorc needs to kill a wraith but my current sorc pawn does nothing against it and killing them as magic archer takes forever.

I'm really not sure what makes for a good allround post game sorc pawn tbh, maybe someone else can tell us.

The wraith issue was asked earlier. They are weak vs Holy and Elec, and a Magic Archer can take them out using non skill shots (having the bow either with elec element or just have it buffed) OR you can just use a staff and cast Levin on them.

I agree 100% with you though about the pawn problem and people putting the higher versions of the spells on them. If a pawn has that, it will NEVER go for the lower level version. Those kinds of pawns are mostly useless, although they will help speed up the casting time of the player character if they are a Sorcerer as well. Guardian is a really good inclination for this type of Sorcerer combo, but otherwise, not so much. You would think more people would realize the issue with putting high levels on pawns. About the only spells that I can think of that are worth putting the high version of on a pawn would be Ingle and Levin.

I'm also not quite sure why the Medicant inclination is so popular on Mages. They are better off as Utilitarian (first) and for a more aggressive (which I think is actually much more useful due to the way pawn AI will still heal you regardless) either Mitigator or Challenger second. It's also been said that there's a third hidden inclination, although I have no idea how this was proven. On a Sorc pawn, I'd still say Utilitarian/Mitigator or Challenger would be the best too.

I got another question regarding the last story quest.

Is there any point in choosing Magick Archer for the final battle so I can get specific "Dragon's ***" weapons, considering I'm switching vocations once I max one out thus not staying indefinitely with one until all are done and I'm already at max rank magick archer ?
I plan on focusing on MA once all the other vocations are max, but I think it's still way in the future.

Or will I get better weapons soon after in post-game (I guess it's sure there are better ones in BBI but I'm not going in there right now)?

Corsick

Is there any ideal setup for a fighter pawn in terms of skills? Looking to improve mine. I have:

Full moon slash, Fate Skewer, Burst Strike, Shield Drum, Cymbal Onslaught, Sheltered Assault.

Inclination is Scather/Mitigator.

The wraith issue was asked earlier. They are weak vs Holy and Elec, and a Magic Archer can take them out using non skill shots (having the bow either with elec element or just have it buffed) OR you can just use a staff and cast Levin on them.

I agree 100% with you though about the pawn problem and people putting the higher versions of the spells on them. If a pawn has that, it will NEVER go for the lower level version. Those kinds of pawns are mostly useless, although they will help speed up the casting time of the player character if they are a Sorcerer as well. Guardian is a really good inclination for this type of Sorcerer combo, but otherwise, not so much. You would think more people would realize the issue with putting high levels on pawns. About the only spells that I can think of that are worth putting the high version of on a pawn would be Ingle and Levin.

I'm also not quite sure why the Medicant inclination is so popular on Mages. They are better off as Utilitarian (first) and for a more aggressive (which I think is actually much more useful due to the way pawn AI will still heal you regardless) either Mitigator or Challenger second. It's also been said that there's a third hidden inclination, although I have no idea how this was proven. On a Sorc pawn, I'd still say Utilitarian/Mitigator or Challenger would be the best too.

Thanks, is there a list somewhere of the base casttimes of all sorc and mage spells? I checked the wiki and it doesn't mention the casttimes/

Kyoufu

I got another question regarding the last story quest.

Is there any point in choosing Magick Archer for the final battle so I can get specific "Dragon's ***" weapons, considering I'm switching vocations once I max one out thus not staying indefinitely with one until all are done and I'm already at max rank magick archer ?
I plan on focusing on MA once all the other vocations are max, but I think it's still way in the future.

Or will I get better weapons soon after in post-game (I guess it's sure there are better ones in BBI but I'm not going in there right now)?

That's not the last story quest, but the best non-BBI MA Bow is actually bought from a vendor in post-game Everfall so I wouldn't worry about which vocation you use for the "Final Battle".

Sanctuary

Thanks, is there a list somewhere of the base casttimes of all sorc and mage spells? I checked the wiki and it doesn't mention the casttimes/

The only way I know about the cast times is from having played a Sorc myself. The larger spells, especially something like Bolide take long enough just to cast the first version. To finish casting the high version takes something like 10 - 15 seconds, even with the cast reduction augments and the ring.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-_wvgQ1QFc

Can you fast travel in this game?

Yes, but it's limited. You use something called a Ferrystone (you get an unlimited use one in DA if you have a vanilla save) to warp back to specific spots (those that are permanent and those from something called a portcrystal). You find I think up to six portcrystals total in DA, but can buy more if you play NG+. In vanilla, the only permanent spot was in the capital city, in DA there's that one as well as the starter town; both of which are kind of complete opposite sides of the total map. If you are considering buying this game, I HIGHLY recommend renting the original just to get the save. This will grant you the unlimited use Ferrystone.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Fuck it..think I'm gonna restart, hard mode, going for a Mystic Knight build. Now the only thing to decide is mage till 10 or fighter till 10..

Yes. It apparently wasn't as easy in the vanilla game, but in Dark Arisen you get port crystals early and you can buy ferrystones for 2k.

Fuck it..think I'm gonna restart, hard mode, going for a Mystic Knight build. Now the only thing to decide is mage till 10 or fighter till 10..

Yes. It apparently wasn't as easy in the vanilla game, but in Dark Arisen you get port crystals early and you can buy ferrystones for 2k.

Where do they sell those? Gran Soren? Why is this game so confusing to navigate?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Where do they sell those? Gran Soren? Why is this game so confusing to navigate?

There's a merchant called the black cat in the urban quarter. Gigantic icon on your map that says BLACK CAT. Kinda hard to miss. The map system in this game is fine, I love it. Constantly checking it.

Is there any ideal setup for a fighter pawn in terms of skills? Looking to improve mine. I have:

Full moon slash, Fate Skewer, Burst Strike, Shield Drum, Cymbal Onslaught, Sheltered Assault.

Inclination is Scather/Mitigator.

i don't know what's best. but i'm using burst strike and skewer on mine. i think the shield drum is enough for shield skills. i'm afraid my pawn wastes too much stamina if i equip her with too many. inclinations are scather and whatever the item pick up is called.

Dresden

Fighter.

You need fighter levels in the beginning for Hard so you don't get one shot by everything early on (they'll just take 90% of your health instead). Sinew and Egression are good perks too.

A lot of stuff will still one shot you (pouncing direwolves, ogres, etc) but at least you won't get TKO'd by bats or a random bandit.

I'm an expert

Very little guidance mainly, maybe it's because I'm used to the babby RPGs I've been playing.

I realized that if you turn of the tutorial tips you also lose the plot point guidance as well. Not a huge deal, but turning those back on will constantly remind you of major events to do when in an area. But, finding a vendor in town is surely the fun of playing an rpg.

Fighter.

You need fighter levels in the beginning for Hard so you don't get one shot by everything early on (they'll just take 90% of your health instead). Sinew and Egression are good perks too.

A lot of stuff will still one shot you (pouncing direwolves, ogres, etc) but at least you won't get TKO'd by bats or a random bandit.

Nod, I don't even want a magic based MK, more of a melee/tank with magic backup. Thinking of doing fighter until I get the perfect block augment (or just max it for the mini clout), then sorc till rank 9 for faster casting, then finally MK. If I feel like it later, war to rank 9 for clout. I'm not trying to min/max, but I def want to play more of a pally build than a caster build.

So from those of you who have played both versions, confirm for me that the PS3 version of Dark Arisen is better or worse than Vanilla... in terms of framerate.

Is there an easy or reliable way to get to the different rooms in everfall, falling with the low resolution console graphics + lcd blur + trying to identify the platforms is a nightmare.

I'm an expert

If anyone is just starting out and doesn't have me on their friends list..add me!!! My pawn will be pimped the fuck out in preparation for hard mode.

kaiju

A good poster said:

The Eternal Ferrystone is a GODSEND, if you can get one. I'd even rent or buy a used copy of DD just to get it...so worth it.

I bought the strategy guide with the first DD game and it's been a huge help. Can't imagine starting without it at this point. But thankfully there are plenty of wikis and guides on the net.

Corsick

Wow...just got Immortal's Helm. My pawn finally got a new upgrade and it actually looks really cool. Time to figure out the regen rate.

Type-Zero

Honestly I'd actually consider Magick Archer overpowered, so I wouldn't listen to any of those negative things. Every class has their own individual strengths and weaknesses. It's up to the player to decide which shortcomings they want to mitigate with the right set of pawns.

As far as optimizing your character growth to get the most out of your preferred class, just play the game to have fun and try not to worry too much about min/maxing. Equipment, augments, and items are just as important as stats. And playing as a sorc the whole game won't do much for your melee capability in terms of health or defense as Magick Archer--the sorc recommendation is mainly to maximize damage with magick bow skills.

I think most of the horror stories you've heard dealt with Magick Archer stat growth after level 100. It used to be really gross (with only one point in magic attack and some in mdef, nothing in regular def or attack), but Dark Arisen changed it to 10 hp/10 stm/1 atk/1 matk/0 def/2 mdef. Magick Bows are also stronger now.

Melee is awesome in this game. I love warriors. So satisfying...

Thanks for taking the time to reply, almost thought the thread was going so fast that no one cared to see it. With what you said I will be going full Magick Archer, sounds like they took care of the problems it had in the vanilla version.

Eusis

The Eternal Ferrystone is a GODSEND, if you can get one. I'd even rent or buy a used copy of DD just to get it...so worth it.

I bought the strategy guide with the first DD game and it's been a huge help. Can't imagine starting without it at this point. But thankfully there are plenty of wikis and guides on the net.
They really should've made Eternal Ferrystone BOTH a reward for playing the original and a reward for reaching NG+. Terrible that getting the item depends on already having played the original (though I half expect they'll put it out as DLC in a few weeks...)

kaiju

The armor images rolling in from BBI endgame over at the DD wiki look insane. Can't wait to make the jump over to the island.

Darkness-helm.jpg

So I've seen all the 16 everfall rooms, should I just go to blackbitter island now?
I have no desire to play NG+ so I won't finish the everfall quest until I'm done with the game.

I'm an expert

Forgot I'd have to do the tutorial again..and this shit is on hard too..lol..this is how the main game should have been.

edit: stam consumption is SO GOOD..this is gonna be much better

kaiju

i have that helmet, never seen the rest. but i'm not really farming, so.....

That is a sweet helm, congrats. The folks over at the wiki haven't found the whole set yet, the gauntlets, legs and cape are a different set. Would be nice to see someone rocking a full set of darkness armor soon.

Rootbeer

Banned
*whistles* oh, don't mind me just waiting 45 mins for my cell to open :p good time to take a break anyway.

really having fun with this game though

Sanctuary

Wow...just got Immortal's Helm. My pawn finally got a new upgrade and it actually looks really cool. Time to figure out the regen rate.

It's not that high. I flipped out when I ended up with it too, and my pawn is still wearing it (DFd). It's like 1hp every 0.5 - 1s. It's good for healing back the health that cannot be healed by Anodyne though.

That's what I actually kind of hate about this game. Aside from online Ur, there's absolutely no reason to farm all this mega gear, especially the level 3 weapons that appear AFTER you've finished the game. It's not like an MMORPG where you know eventually there will be something tougher for you to fight. You get all of the most powerful things after you actually could have used them. Online Ur seems rather pointless too now for the gear and only there for the sake of killing a hefty boss, unless it was all buffed.

I really hope Deep Down takes care of the difficulty of the game. Normal goes from being relatively easy after level 10, to mind-numbingly easy by level 30. There are some spikes every now and then, but for the most part those are easy as well. People love to talk up the "difficulty" of post-game, but it's not even difficult. It's mostly just a shock when you run into the first Grim Goblins and you actually take some damage for a change. Hard difficulty on the other hand starts out much harder in terms of damage dealt, but then it drops off too eventually. Bitterblack was a really nice boost in terms of challenge, but it has the same problem that vanilla had. It starts out strong, but then the difficulty significantly drops off the map (of course this is coming from a MA, which seem to be flavor of the week, god-mode).

Really love this game, but I wish it was setup so that the gear you get actually helps you progress. Maybe not setup in such a way like what you would see in some hardcore raiding guild or whatever, but I shouldn't be able to take the best bow from vanilla (which is automatic now) and beat all of BBI with relative ease. Once I ended up with an upgrade, I couldn't help but think "neat, but what's the point?". The biggest boost seems to come in the from of the heavy armor users.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure I fucked up big time.

I'm doing the "Troublesome Tome" quest, and let's just say I killed everyone at the designated location. Straight up genocide, the place is cleared out.

But, I just checked the wiki and it turns out I shouldn't have done that and that I actually killed a pretty important character:
Ophis

I had no choice, they attacked me on sight before I even had the chance to speak with them.

Am I screwed?

Card Boy

Banned
I'm so tempted to buy this on 360 but I wish there was a PC port of this.

I'm thinking a PC port may happen,or it may never happen. So I think I'll just take "the middle road" on this and wait for it. Wait for a PC port. If it is debunked, I'll just jump on DA :D.

Just get it on 360 and double dip (If ever) when it comes out on PC.

Top Bottom