• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Strolling through BBI, felling shit like a boss. "Haha, where is the challenge?" I ask as I explore an entire floor and come back on myself to the main garden.

Attracted Giant Hound one shots me and ricochet's my limp body up onto the balcony far above.

I see.

No one has used my pawn for a few days. Shit is sad... I wish current pawns would get highlighted over dead vanilla dd pawns. Without gaf I don't think anyone would ever use my pawn.

Also I hired a top rated pawn, and man she is top rated for a reason. She is amazing at everything... even though she is now 8 levels below me I don't want to lose her

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So .. entire shadow set except the chest piece - including 3 hoods of shadow now. 2 that protect against archers and one that extends my skill usage.

DemonsBane sword last night ...

Also that black demonic face helmet guy. Along with the Warrior legendary weapon (which BEATS ASS) ...

A question: To those of you attempting to rock warrior in BBI.. were you early levels? still looking for decent gear and all that? Cause with this big red longsword i am DESTROYING assholes left and right. Fire drake in under 10 minutes while dealing with Gargoyles and then a spawned Cursed Dragon.

And i'm knocking the shit out of both of them.

The Assassin heavy spec and my ridiculous atck/dmg numbers are finally starting to glow when my gear hits silver/gold rare status. One good cleave combo is knocking Wargs around like puppies and I stun locked a Gorechimera with normal attacks until it was dead. Not looking forward to fighting death or constantly flying assholes... but that's why I keep my 3 lady ranger retinue with me at all time. smash up on D pad = 3 pawns all attemtping at least one bow skill.

So.. another quick question to the other 200+ BBI experts out there... was it ever confirmed that I need to do specific quests to brake a loot threshold and start getting chest pieces? I've completed everything except the kill death thing/13 BBI items and the fucking statues. Please tell me i don't need to kill death AGAIN or random luck into the other 7 or 8 items i need to complete this shit and start getting the highest tier gear....please...

Grisby

Love the Adept Hat. Of course I have a fondness for big floppy magic hats.

(Second crappy cel pic. Also happens to be one of my favorite little places in BBI, Warriors Rest.)
The armor images rolling in from BBI endgame over at the DD wiki look insane. Can't wait to make the jump over to the island.

Darkness-helm.jpg
My fighter pawn is rocking that chest piece.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm pretty sure I fucked up big time.

I'm doing the "Troublesome Tome" quest, and let's just say I killed everyone at the designated location. Straight up genocide, the place is cleared out.

But, I just checked the wiki and it turns out I shouldn't have done that and that I actually killed a pretty important character:
Ophis

I had no choice, they attacked me on sight before I even had the chance to speak with them.

Am I screwed?

I just posted on the same thing a page back. Apparently he can respawn after 7 game days but even if not his quest is trivial for anything but the troph and you can get it in ng+ anyway, which you'd have to do. Pissed me off too though lol.

Is bbi like the main game (open world adventure/exploration) or more like post game everfall? (floors and instanced linear)

I hope it's the former, the game really is way more awesome when that sense of adventure and exploring is there to back up the awesome combat.

What lvl is suggested to start BBI? I noticed the chests didn't respawn (I guess it takes a week?) in everfall, not really in the mood to farm for loot there after I've seen all the floors.
Everfall is way way smaller and way less epic that the early story quest suggested.

The armor images rolling in from BBI endgame over at the DD wiki look insane. Can't wait to make the jump over to the island.

Darkness-helm.jpg

I've seen a couple absolutely awesome pawns wandering around Gran Soren. One had the above helmet, only with glowing red accents running through it and the rest of the armor, so I'm guessing it was a full set. One was a ranger with a mix of Trophy Jacket and arms and something about the 13 cursed or legendary items of BBI for the head and feet, it was like nothing else in the game.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I think I've hit some kind of an NPC glitch in Seeking Salvation. I'm supposed to find Mason but the quest marker just pops up near the gate out of the city in the northwest corner. Mason doesn't show up at Fountain Square or the Cathedral, and he's not in his usual spot in the Slums. I'm wondering if exploring the Catacombs earlier and hearing some of the Salvation Cult speech may have broken the sequence.

Sanctuary

Is bbi like the main game (open world adventure/exploration) or more like post game everfall? (floors and instanced linear)

I hope it's the former, the game really is way more awesome when that sense of adventure and exploring is there to back up the awesome combat.

What lvl is suggested to start BBI? I noticed the chests didn't respawn (I guess it takes a week?) in everfall, not really in the mood to farm for loot there after I've seen all the floors.
Everfall is way way smaller and way less epic that the early story quest suggested.

It's not exactly the same, but it's closer to the way Dark Souls is setup. The areas are all connected, and you can eventually open up shortcuts. I actually prefer the way BBI is setup, although the copy/paste rooms gets kind of annoying after a while. I don't really mind that the rooms can be the same layout, but they should not be identical other than chest placement.

I went there at 40 to mess around, but left before the first real boss because I wanted to finish the main game first. I went back at 55, but this was in Everfall gear. From my experience with the drops in BBI, it seems to drop most, if not all Everfall gear anyway (other than Ur dragon stuff) relatively frequently. And in case you didn't already know this: save your game before having a cursed item purified. If it's not something you can use, Godsbane yourself and change your vocation, or even your vocation with that of your pawn. Cursed items are a set of 3-4 items out of possible fifteen to twenty or so for each type (i.e gear, armor, novelty, weapon). Your vocation will influence which of those 3-4 will appear.

Kyoufu

I think I've hit some kind of an NPC glitch in Seeking Salvation. I'm supposed to find Mason but the quest marker just pops up near the gate out of the city in the northwest corner. Mason doesn't show up at Fountain Square or the Cathedral, and he's not in his usual spot in the Slums. I'm wondering if exploring the Catacombs earlier and hearing some of the Salvation Cult speech may have broken the sequence.

Did you not meet Mason after the mini battle against the Salvation members in the next area?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Since Dark Souls has become unplayable the last two weeks (Fuck you From. Just fuck you) I'm thinking about diving into this thing.

All I want to know before I buy this game is thus: is having an all around type of character actually viable in this game? I mean a character who is like 50% melee, 30% archer, and 20% magic? I really don't like when RPG's like this force/encourage me to be one thing. I like to mix shit up man.

Kyoufu

Since Dark Souls has become unplayable the last two weeks (Fuck you From. Just fuck you) I'm thinking about diving into this thing.

All I want to know before I buy this game is thus: is having an all around type of character actually viable in this game? I mean a character who is like 50% melee, 30% archer, and 20% magic? I really don't like when RPG's like this force/encourage me to be one thing. I like to mix shit up man.

It's a class based Action RPG. The class you play as determines the type of weapon(s) you can equip. You can change classes in town.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

You can change jobs on the fly whenever. So while one job can't do all 3 like that, well maybe magic archer but not those ratios, technically you can play how you want when you feel like.

Card Boy

Banned

The game is class based. But you can change classes whenever you want. The game entourages you to level up multiple classes to get augments (passives skills). There are hybrid classes aswell, but no you cannot do what your thinking of in Dragons Dogma.

Sanctuary

The game is class based. But you can change classes whenever you want. The game entourages you to level up multiple classes to get augments (passives skills). There are hybrid classes aswell, but no you cannot do what your thinking of in Dragons Dogma.

Actually yes, the Magick Archer is essentially what he's describing. While it's focus may be more slanted towards using your bow (which is magick based), you can also use staff skills as well as melee. The amount of melee you end up doing just depends on the player, since the MA is just like the other Strider clones in that regard. You can use the same basic staples that those classes use in melee, on top of having Immolate. It won't be as strong as an Assassin with melee, but it will still be pretty strong in it's own way. The Assassin is the "all rounder" for physical, while the Magick Archer would be that for the jack of all trades type. The Mystic Warrior would be as well, with more of a slant towards melee (or lazy cannon mode).

If he actually was just talking about tailored stats that promote a specific playstyle similarly to the Souls games, then not really.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Well that's a shame. =/

Is the physical character customization at least really good? Or at least better than Dark/Demon souls, which is pretty god damn awful honestly.

I'm an expert

Well that's a shame. =/

Is the physical character customization at least really good? Or at least better than Dark/Demon souls, which is pretty god damn awful honestly.

Character creation and the class system blow Souls away. Combat is equally good but a diff style. Play Dogma lol. It's that fuckin good.

xCobalt

Well that's a shame. =/

You definitely wanna try out Magick Archer despite it being mostly focused on magic/archery. You get some very interesting dagger skills. Here's a pretty good video showing you what they're capable of. Magick Archer can also surround themselves in fire and start climbing enemies so they'll catch on fire too.

Skill_Magick_Archer_Immolation.gif

I think DD has probably one of the best character customization. It's definitely not as detailed as elder scrolls but its not hard to make a good looking character in this game.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm trying to sell my friend on the game, but he's convinced that the game is generic. I tried showing him one of the various Capcom trailers of DA, but he won't budge.

Do you guys know of a video that shows the best of Dragon's Dogma? It could be from a playthrough on YT or anything. I just need something to show him, I know this game is right up his alley.

Sanctuary

I'm trying to sell my friend on the game, but he's convinced that the game is generic. I tried showing him one of the various Capcom trailers of DA, but he won't budge.

Do you guys know of a video that shows the best of Dragon's Dogma? It could be from a playthrough on YT or anything. I just need something to show him, I know this game is right up his alley.

Just find the Maelstrom gif that's all over GAF.

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYToNIOIA3o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I28uyq1Z1c

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well that's a shame. =/

DD does customization quite a bit different than other games... but it's quite powerful. And the options you get for body types is really incredible compared to most games. You can make dwarves, giants, elves, etc. Takes a little fiddling to get everything just right, but it's a good system.

All my characters look awesome. Though most people's stuff looks pretty hideous. Most of the pawns running around look like their creators either suck at creation or just don't care.

No one has used my pawn for a few days. Shit is sad... I wish current pawns would get highlighted over dead vanilla dd pawns. Without gaf I don't think anyone would ever use my pawn.

Also I hired a top rated pawn, and man she is top rated for a reason. She is amazing at everything... even though she is now 8 levels below me I don't want to lose her

lol, I feel the same way. I hate how 95% of pawns are old and their owners probably no longer play. I only use GAF pawns because they're the only ones who are still playing.

DD does customization quite a bit different than other games... but it's quite powerful. And the options you get for body types is really incredible compared to most games. You can make dwarves, giants, elves, etc. Takes a little fiddling to get everything just right, but it's a good system.

All my characters look awesome. Though most people's stuff looks pretty hideous. Most of the pawns running around look like their creators either suck at creation or just don't care.

Yeah, I take great pride in my characters - if they look even slightly off I scrap them and start over again. My perfectionism in this regard can be a blessing and a curse. I agree that the vast majority of pawns look like their creators spent all of a minute customizing them before getting into the game, which I don't understand. You're presented with one of the best character creators of all time...why not take advantage of it?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
All this praise of the character creator system is getting me all wet. I'm one of those people that spends hours fiddling with that shit.

You can imagine my distaste when I started Dark/Demon Souls and was presented with that unholy abomination of a character creator system (particularly Demon's). I love those game by the way, don't get it twisted, but man is that ever a particularly disappointing aspect of that franchise.

I'm an expert

All this praise of the character creator system is getting me all wet. I'm one of those people that spends hours fiddling with that shit.

You can imagine my distaste when I started Dark/Demon Souls and was presented with that unholy abomination of a character creator system (particularly Demon's). I love those game by the way, don't get it twisted, but man is that ever a particularly disappointing aspect of that franchise.

I just remade my char for the third time and still spent 15 mins on it. Can't wait to hit my pawn again.

Evolved1

I take great pride in the fact I managed good looking characters in both Souls games. Took a long time though.

I even made an attractive female in Oblivion! That took hours. And I was never able to replicate it. Of course I caught vampirism and didn't cure it soon enough, and some awful game bug morphed her face into an irreparable abomination. I somehow accomplished the impossible and Bethesda bent me over for it. They were probably jealous. Going by their work in that game, they should've been. Will never forgive them for it.

Sanctuary

I just remade my char for the third time and still spent 15 mins on it. Can't wait to hit my pawn again.

Body weight also affects your stamina use as well as regen, on top of carry weight. Your current carrying weight affects run speed and stamina use as well. Height affects hitboxes and climbing.
Just an FYI in case you didn't know (so you can go edit that too!). If I had to redo my current character, I'd definitely start them out at a higher body weight. Fuck always hitting "average" weight with just gear and curatives without having Sinew.

DragonsDogma_DarkArisenScreenshot_zpsdd6041a2.jpg

Outfitted Sigurd in a full chimeric set. Still using the dragonforged Thousandlimbs that a very kind player gifted me when I first started this playthrough. I realize her gear is probably a little out-dated for lv.57. That's what I get for being a completionist and doing every quest I stumble upon.

Evolved1

Playing this masterpiece for second time and just discovered that Strider has double jump ability. Awesome.

I wonder then if you know about their combat roll? Since it is a little less obvious than the double jump.

I'm an expert

Body weight also affects your stamina use as well as regen, on top of carry weight. Your current carrying weight affects run speed and stamina use as well. Height affects hitboxes and climbing.
Just an FYI in case you didn't know (so you can go edit that too!). If I had to redo my current character, I'd definitely start them out at a higher body weight. Fuck always hitting "average" weight with just gear and curatives without having Sinew.

I did know all that! I still build my men tall and muscular, or basically my self portrait. And my lady pawns slim and petite..like..my imaginary female companions..

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I did know all that! I still build my men tall and muscular, or basically my self portrait. And my lady pawns slim and petite..like..my imaginary female companions..

Beyond status effects like your stamina usage and all that it is worth pointing out that there are secret rooms, shortcuts, hide spots and treasure locations behind very teeny tiny holes and caves spread through out the game that you HAVE to be a smaller character to access. I've never been inside any of them and I have more than 500 hours into this game. It's bananas.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Thanks to everyone on PSN who had been using my Brienne pawn (id: wquinn).. I logged in the other night and received a shit ton of RC! Like, well over 150,000!

I don't suppose Brienne is a small little ranger/strider with gold glasses and gold stilletos for weapons, is she?

URP :X sry bout the double post.

I'm an expert

Beyond status effects like your stamina usage and all that it is worth pointing out that there are secret rooms, shortcuts, hide spots and treasure locations behind very teeny tiny holes and caves spread through out the game that you HAVE to be a smaller character to access. I've never been inside any of them and I have more than 500 hours into this game. It's bananas.

B-a-n-a-n-a-s

Evolved1

It seriously sucks that this game limits you to only one character... I mean, really?

Fucking annoying juggling saves on thumb drives and shit.

I've never been down there, either...those are just in the Shadowfort though, right? Unless I missed any.

maomaoIYP

It's one of my favorite spells in the game, but that might just be nostalgia clouding my judgement. Life as a lowbie Sorc sucked for me until I had High Miasma, and then I started feeling powerful. The cast time on it too seems pretty good for what you get. Sometimes I keep it even after I have all of the higher level abilities unlocked, but sometimes it's hard to decide, especially if you're either the only caster, or just impatient when it comes to buffs.

My Sorcerer usually has:
High Comestion
High Levin (I don't like Brontide on a Sorc, and Fulmination was too specific, but I think it will work pretty well in BBI)
Affinity of some type (Usually Fire > Holy, but Ice for drakes and Dark for one fight)
High Exequy or High Voidspell (although eventually it's kind of useless compared to just using panacea and it doesn't remove curses like the description makes you think it would)
High Frigor (I use Gicel on drakes, but not much else)
High Bolide or Maelstrom just depending on what I'm in the mood for and the location.

At that point Miasma just gets used in the more cramped dungeons when enemies are either really clustered, or they don't have a specific weakness to abuse easily. But it's not that often. I have never been able to justify Seism, although some swear by it.

It's also arguably one of the best (if not *the* best) at killing Ur when using Hunter's Bolt.

My sorc goes a completely different route. I stay far away from status spells because I find them mostly useless. The whole point of my sorc is to cast big ass spells.
Holy Boon The single best spell in the game. Combined with focused bolt this is the single best tool for 90% of all situations, and is by far, the fastest Ur-dragon destroying tool. It is homing, piercing, hits multiple times, and fires through walls.
Levin Because the other two lightning spells involve putting my sorc in harm's way, so they are pointless. Great for gore orges, living armor, sirens, gargoyles etc.
Voidspell Cures all statuses the Mage's Halidom does not. Perfect for BBI where all sorts of rare status effects in vanilla become common.
Bolide Covers large areas, destroys mobs, looks awesome. The actual impact has a physical damage component as well, and works against golems. It also destroys living armor, and most importantly, death.
Gicel Can be aimed and has a deceptively long range. It's amazing when using this to shoot down a swooping griffon using free aim. It also has a physical damage component. Can instant kill gorechimeras.
Maelstrom or Seism Maelstrom works best in the large open spaces in vanilla, enemies who have been caught in a high maelstrom cannot recover fast enough to escape a second maelstrom. Seism is mostly situational. Even though it is holy it's not useful against the Ur-dragon, but works great against Daimon.

To abuse the spell synchrony I always pick a 2nd sorc with similar spells. And I also have a mage to cover with anodyne and halidom.

Sanctuary

Yeah just found. Never used that class before. What is secret augments by the way? Haven't unlocked a single one.

You get them from BBI. They are augments that once you unlock them, you are able to apply them to both your character and your pawn. So far the only one that I've found to be of any use is Tenacity. It puts you at 1 health any time you're hit with an attack that would drop your health below that with a massive hit.

My sorc goes a completely different route. I stay far away from status spells because I find them mostly useless. The whole point of my sorc is to cast big ass spells.
Holy BoonThe single best spell in the game. Combined with focused bolt this is the single best tool for 90% of all situations, and is by far, the fastest Ur-dragon destroying tool. It is homing, piercing, hits multiple times, and fires through walls.
LevinBecause the other two lightning spells involve putting my sorc in harm's way, so they are pointless. Great for gore orges, living armor, sirens, gargoyles etc.
VoidspellCures all statuses the Mage's Halidom does not. Perfect for BBI where all sorts of rare status effects in vanilla become common.
BolideCovers large areas, destroys mobs, looks awesome. The actual impact has a physical damage component as well, and works against golems. It also destroys living armor, and most importantly, death.
GicelCan be aimed and has a deceptively long range. It's amazing when using this to shoot down a swooping griffon using free aim. It also has a physical damage component. Can instant kill gorechimeras.
Maelstrom or SeismMaelstrom works best in the large open spaces in vanilla, enemies who have been caught in a high maelstrom cannot recover fast enough to escape a second maelstrom. Seism is mostly situational. Even though it is holy it's not useful against the Ur-dragon, but works great against Daimon.

To abuse the spell synchrony I always pick a 2nd sorc with similar spells. And I also have a mage to cover with anodyne and halidom.

I know that Sorcs do well against Ur dragon, but have you played a Magick Archer? I don't know if a Sorcerer is "the best" at killing Ur, but they are certainly one of the best.
I also don't see how our Sorcerers "go completely different routes". They aren't that dissimilar (what are these "status spells" that I supposedly take that you don't?). The only thing I don't do is carry around more than a single "giant" spell, because aside from flavor, Maelstrom and Bolide are too similar in outcome.
I haven't played a Sorcerer in BBI yet, but Voidspell did absolutely nothing at all in vanilla for me other than to cure petrification. Did they change it? Because it was supposed to remove all kinds of status effects, especially those that affect stats (curses), but it never seemed to do anything at all other than take up a slot.

The whole Fire > Holy was not in regards to usefulness. It was just that you don't actually get Holy Affinity right away, and Fire is more useful starting out. Holy doesn't really do anything against Ogres and Cyclops either. Once you're near the end of the game, and especially post, it's either Ice or Holy. I don't really spam the charge attack though on most enemies. It takes way too long to charge just to kill one enemy at a time as opposed to simply casting a multi hitting spell that will kill more at once and that has a similar charge time. I can't remember the last time the Holy bolt actually hit more than one enemy at a time.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I've never been down there, either...those are just in the Shadowfort though, right? Unless I missed any.

They are actually all over the place. I know of at least 4 - the quarry - soulflayer canyon - windworn alley ... and since I could never actually go into any I was never like.. hardcore looking for them. So i'm sure there are more.

lol nope - quite the opposite! Big, tall, blonde and wields a great sword! The Maid of Tarth! ;-)

HAH! wow... a GoT reference that flew directly over my head even while i was looking directly at your avatar! Way to go me :p

Freakin awesome idea tho!! :)

RangerBAD

You get them from BBI. They are augments that once you unlock them, you are able to apply them to both your character and your pawn. So far the only one that I've found to be of any use is Tenacity. It puts you at 1 health any time you're hit with an attack that would drop your health below that with a massive hit.

There's one that boosts your strength when you're clinging onto an enemy. It helps a lot with Daimon!

Top Bottom