• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

I like that dresses can give you fake boobs. So I bought the one from Black Cat for my pawn.

i9yahN4.jpg

I noticed that in my absence these last couple of days someone rented my pawn, gave him a way better staff, and gave him another dress, though the stats are worse than the one above so I ditched it.

But, he came back with 62,000~ RC. I think that's a lot, so that's pretty sweet. I don't have a vanilla save so I only had 500~ up to that point.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
There's one that boosts your strength when you're clinging onto an enemy. It helps a lot with Daimon!

Oh hells yeah. It's an art to get Daimon down enough out of a stagger that you know he's gonna do the portal thing and running up to jump on him before he starts so you can gouge his face completely off while he can't do shite about it :)

Assassin living up to the name...

maomaoIYP

You get them from BBI. They are augments that once you unlock them, you are able to apply them to both your character and your pawn. So far the only one that I've found to be of any use is Tenacity. It puts you at 1 health any time you're hit with an attack that would drop your health below that with a massive hit.

I know that Sorcs do well against Ur dragon, but have you played a Magick Archer? I don't know if a Sorcerer is "the best" at killing Ur, but they are certainly one of the best.
I also don't see how our Sorcerers "go completely different routes". They aren't that dissimilar (what are these "status spells" that I supposedly take that you don't?). The only thing I don't do is carry around more than a single "giant" spell, because aside from flavor, Maelstrom and Bolide are too similar in outcome.
I haven't played a Sorcerer in BBI yet, but Voidspell did absolutely nothing at all in vanilla for me other than to cure petrification. Did they change it? Because it was supposed to remove all kinds of status effects, especially those that affect stats (curses), but it never seemed to do anything at all other than take up a slot.

The whole Fire > Holy was not in regards to usefulness. It was just that you don't actually get Holy Affinity right away, and Fire is more useful starting out. Holy doesn't really do anything against Ogres and Cyclops either. Once you're near the end of the game, and especially post, it's either Ice or Holy. I don't really spam the charge attack though on most enemies. It takes way too long to charge just to kill one enemy at a time as opposed to simply casting a multi hitting spell that will kill more at once and that has a similar charge time. I can't remember the last time the Holy bolt actually hit more than one enemy at a time.

Yes I've played every class. And yes sorcs are still the best against the Ur dragon. I can endless stun lock the ur dragon, something that I can't do with any other class. MA are better in certain aspects in BBI though.
I don't bother with Miasma or the rest that give debilitations, that's what I mean with the status spells. Maelstrom and bolide are only similar in the fact that there's some sort of AOE, but maelstrom is dark, which is a useless elemental, and the main damage it causes comes from dropping enemies which can be picked up. That means it's useless against hydras, orges, dragons etc, and it's terrible to use indoors.
I find voidspell essential in BBI, but yeah it's mostly useless in vanilla because very few creatures can cause petrification or str/mag lowering. In BBI, those worms, garm, cursed dragon can all do these. Anything that voidspell can't cover, halidom covers, so they make a perfect status defense.
Fire is better starting out, but nothing beats holy. And holy focused bolts tears cyclopes up, even gorecyclopes. Focused bolt is way faster than casting any spell and because you can 1) move and jump while charging and 2) recover stamina as you charge with it, and 3) you can cancel the recovery animation. That means press and hold X, jump to cancel the single shot animation, release X and instantly hold it again to shoot and charge, and then jump again right after the shot to cancel the recovery. You should try it against a mob some time. And just watch the exp keep ringing it in after just one shot.

GorillaJu

I like that dresses can give you fake boobs. So I bought the one from Black Cat for my pawn.

I noticed that in my absence these last couple of days someone rented my pawn, gave him a way better staff, and gave him another dress, though the stats are worse than the one above so I ditched it.

But, he came back with 62,000~ RC. I think that's a lot, so that's pretty sweet. I don't have a vanilla save so I only had 500~ up to that point.

Hahahaha I gave your pawn the staff an the dress. He didnt have enough boobage so I helped him out.

Thanks to everyone on PSN who had been using my Brienne pawn (id: wquinn).. I logged in the other night and received a shit ton of RC! Like, well over 150,000!

Huh. There must be two Gaf members with pawns named Brienne. I hired one and loaded her up with gear but it was a different PSN handle.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
New main pawn made! Aralyn, the sexy strider. If you're startin out or low level please use her =(

I was fighting my very first Gorechimera, everything was going well as I managed to bring her down to the point one more hit would do it.

And it rolled on the floor...through the stairs...and disappeared without any drops nor XP.
For a moment even my character went through the floor with it.

After that, I found out my love interest turned out to be Reynard >_< I payed no mind on that aspect during the game, I wasn't even aware he would be the one before that moment.

GorillaJu

Speaking of love interests, I actually was able to get Mercedes as my love interest for the first time after several attempts. She does actually show up in your house in the post-dragon game, which I had read was impossible/doesn't happen. I had to completely skip the Duchess quest lines for it to happen though.

Sanctuary

I don't bother with Miasma or the rest that give debilitations, that's what I mean with the status spells. Maelstrom and bolide are only similar in the fact that there's some sort of AOE, but maelstrom is dark, which is a useless elemental, and the main damage it causes comes from dropping enemies which can be picked up. That means it's useless against hydras, orges, dragons etc, and it's terrible to use indoors.

Miasma is the only status type spell that I ever use. The others I find completely useless, but as I said, it's hard to find a spot for Miasma later on even though I still like it.

As far as Maelstrom being useless due to it being dark; that doesn't really matter against most enemy types (vanilla at least), and while Gicel is better at killing drakes for sure, if you end up being caught without it, Maelstrom kills them just fine. I prefer Bolide's damage, but the randomness of it makes it sketchy sometimes. Although it seemed to almost always kill Chimeras and Ogres in a single cast.

I haven't seriously played as a Sorcerer in BBI (played it until 50 on my most recent MA build though as well as main and post in vanilla playthrough), but I still think the focused bolt is highly overrated. It takes over five seconds to charge it up. What does it matter if you can jump around while it's charging? You're still not attacking until the charge is finished. I got the most mileage out of it when I was just running around the map having it charged for the next encounter. Comestion killed way more reliably when there was more than a single target as did simply mashing the light attack against a bunch of weak enemies. The charged Holy bolt gets all kinds of praise, but it's almost always due to what it does to Ur dragon. I tried seeing what the hype was all about, but no matter what, it was just all around slower for me.

I've just destroyed my first Gorecyclops.
This was ...so annoying yet it felt damn good when it was down.
I went back to the starting point and came back to kill him again but he was gone . how long does things take to reset in this labyrinth ?

DC1

So from those of you who have played both versions, confirm for me that the PS3 version of Dark Arisen is better or worse than Vanilla... in terms of framerate.

Universally better.
I'm enjoying the game all over again... (without a trophy to be had). Following the platinum, this game extensions is one of the better ones that I have experienced in gaming.

Miasma is the only status type spell that I ever use. The others I find completely useless, but as I said, it's hard to find a spot for Miasma later on even though I still like it.

As far as Maelstrom being useless due to it being dark; that doesn't really matter against most enemy types (vanilla at least), and while Gicel is better at killing drakes for sure, if you end up being caught without it, Maelstrom kills them just fine. I prefer Bolide's damage, but the randomness of it makes it sketchy sometimes. Although it seemed to almost always kill Chimeras and Ogres in a single cast.

I haven't seriously played as a Sorcerer in BBI (played it until 50 on my most recent MA build though as well as main and post in vanilla playthrough), but I still think the focused bolt is highly overrated. It takes over five seconds to charge it up. What does it matter if you can jump around while it's charging? You're still not attacking until the charge is finished. I got the most mileage out of it when I was just running around the map having it charged for the next encounter. Comestion killed way more reliably when there was more than a single target as did simply mashing the light attack against a bunch of weak enemies. The charged Holy bolt gets all kinds of praise, but it's almost always due to what it does to Ur dragon. I tried seeing what the hype was all about, but no matter what, it was just all around slower for me.
Those were pretty much my feelings across the board as well when playing a Sorcerer in vanilla.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Bout 30 mins into hard mode, did the saurians in the well quest, really got to appreciate how to approach enemies from now on. Took about 4 tries but I got them down while level 6..managed to level to 10 from just that one fight lol. Being a fighter really helped, I'd aggro and corral them and let the pawns do the work. This is going to be way more fun than normal run.

Bout 30 mins into hard mode, did the saurians in the well quest, really got to appreciate how to approach enemies from now on. Took about 4 tries but I got them down while level 6..managed to level to 10 from just that one fight lol. Being a fighter really helped, I'd aggro and corral them and let the pawns do the work. This is going to be way more fun than normal run.

Yeah, stinger works wonders. Gameplay makes sense on challenging games doesn't it? I justvwish capcom and from software weren't the only two big devs who know this.

Is the Cursed Dragon in BBI immune to archery or something? I could fuck him up easily by grabbing onto his heart and bashing it with a Bloody Thistle when using the Warrior Vocation, but when I changed to Assassin, my 200 damage Signs of Valor did fuck all, despite slashing away at the glowing purple weak point. So I tried using the Dragon's Ire Bow, which had a fire enchantment that the Dragon is weak against. Still did no damage at all. So I had to slog through the fight by waiting for my Sorceror pawn to keep firing meteors at him.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

I've had plenty of excellent outcomes with Maelstrom tho .. it may be that the element is dark but the fact that it persists for as long as it does (High Maelstrom) means that... especially for groups of enemies (up to and including things like the cyclops and chimeras) you can stagger them without a lot of trouble if your magic is up high enough.

For me.. the real advantage of Glicel is the fact that it's one of the only high end sorc spells that you can really target with. Lining up under a drake's heart and getting a good cast that hits his head, his heart, the wings and his back legs is a surefire stagger like 80% of the time. It's combining these things that makes the sorc such a power house... throw out a maelstrom to take care of all the human sized assholes in the room... position in the madness... charge glicel... stagger the big bad in the room and then use that time to cast bolide. Rinse repeat.

Doesn't clairvoyance work on everything too? You don't get the unique animation against bigger enemies, but it should still hit and deal damage. I've had the counter attack miss against a few enemies though. When beating bitterblack isle of the first time, I actually ended up using clairvoyance as one of my primary skills against the boss.

It does and it doesn't. Clairvoyance not doing the full animation gimps it's damage on big guys (while Masterful Kill hits full damage because it has a custom attack for big enemies). Plus MK has double the frames for the counter, way more invincibility frames and can counter more attack types than Clairvoyance (Ur's Holy Furor gets completely stuffed by MK, for example).

It's not a bad move like dagger only Sins would have some people think, but MK is leaps above it as a counter.

Also, as someone who soloed the entire game as a Warrior and thought it was complete easy mode to do so, I feel a challenge coming on with all these people insisting they're hard to do BBI with. I find Wars to be extremely good in most situations unless it's a damn Metal Golem or Specter.

Running or quick moving enemies? Run at them and short hop the Light Attack. Worries about no dodge? Yes there is, Exodus Slash i-frames. General mob killing? Corona Slash and Light Attack while the whole crowd lay on their asses.

Wars are great, just not broke like Mystic Knight and dagger Assassin.

Eusis

Anyone want Ascalon (powerful enchanted sword) and plays on PS3? I have a spare to give out, else I'll sell it.

And this game reminds me of how much I HATE vanishing drops in games that aren't very arcadey, especially as unlike Monster hunter you can't walk through dead monsters.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Anyone want Ascalon (powerful enchanted sword) and plays on PS3? I have a spare to give out, else I'll sell it.

And this game reminds me of how much I HATE vanishing drops in games that aren't very arcadey, especially as unlike Monster hunter you can't walk through dead monsters.

Are you able to fabricate that? If so psn id Travaughn. I'll take it if you can or still have that spar

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
HOLY SHIT I JUST WITNESSED THE MOST GLORIOUS SHIT EVER IN BBI

So I'm fighting the dragon after picking up the second void key as a mystic knight, right before this I had lost one pawn so it is just my main pawn (delaney. warrior) and Sway (phierce's pawn, mage). Well as with all dragon battles everything is going smooth till the final health bar.

The dragon rears up to do his huge breath I didn't react in time and the first shock wave sends me and my pawn tumbling into a small room and then the blast brings me down to 86 health, my main pawn to half and kills Sway. Well I say to myself "no problem I'll just set up some cannons and finish this dude off" well as soon as he hit 1 health I remembered that the final blow to a dragon must be on his heart by my sword not my magic cannon.

Naturally his mouth is taking up the whole door so I cannot go out there, nor do I want to risk running out as I am out of curatives, wakestones and Sway is down. Well that's when it happened, the dragon reared up to do another blast AND MY PAWN TOOK OFF LIKE A MAD MAN, MOMENTS LATER HE RETURNS WITH SWAY IN HIS ARMS RIGHT BEFORE THE BLAST GOES OFF. He drops Sway off at my feet, I revive her, she heals me, I drive my sword through the dragon's heart.

Level 81
Level 80
Dragonforged Ascalon

What a thrill.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Ok, been fooling around with the combat for the lat 5 minutes (haven't fought a single enemy yet) and I can already tell I am going to love this games gameplay. And omg I can sheath my weapon!!! Yesssss! ^__^

Can someone tell me how to change the aspect ratio though. These bars are annoying me and I don't know how to fill the screen?

Ok, been fooling around with the combat for the lat 5 minutes (haven't fought a single enemy yet) and I can already tell I am going to love this games gameplay. And omg I can sheath my weapon!!! Yesssss! ^__^

Can someone tell me how to change the aspect ratio though. These bars are annoying me and I don't know how to fill the screen?

You can't

I'm an expert

That is the price you must pay to play this game. You get used to it quick. Add your psn to the googledoc when you can.

maomaoIYP

Sorry but I disagree. I can fire focused bolt about as fast as I can cast high ingle, all while dodging attacks, not using stamina and doing way more damage than any other attack available. Put it into perspective, I remove about 40% of a single bar from daimon's 1st form with a single holy focused bolt. I can instant kill gorechimeras with 1 focused bolt because it tracks enemies that are out of visual range and thus deals the extra damage from hitting an enemy that hasn't noticed you yet. .

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
You can't
Are you shitting me :(

W-why? Why have they done this?

That is the price you must pay to play this game. You get used to it quick. Add your psn to the googledoc when you can.
God I hope I do get used to it, because right now it is damn distracting and I don't like having bars on my Plasma display for long periods of time for obvious reasons...

Where is the doc? In the OP?

itschris

Hahahaha I gave your pawn the staff an the dress. He didnt have enough boobage so I helped him out.

Huh. There must be two Gaf members with pawns named Brienne. I hired one and loaded her up with gear but it was a different PSN handle.

That was me - I guess we both had the same idea. Thanks for the gear! I'm using most of it, except for the ones that made her look ridiculous. :p

I'm an expert

Can black bars be burned in lol? Yes, it's in the op. I'm gonna go on an adding spree tomorrow.

phierce

HOLY SHIT I JUST WITNESSED THE MOST GLORIOUS SHIT EVER IN BBI

So I'm fighting the dragon after picking up the second void key as a mystic knight, right before this I had lost one pawn so it is just my main pawn (delaney. warrior) and Sway (phierce's pawn, mage). Well as with all dragon battles everything is going smooth till the final health bar.

The dragon rears up to do his huge breath I didn't react in time and the first shock wave sends me and my pawn tumbling into a small room and then the blast brings me down to 86 health, my main pawn to half and kills Sway. Well I say to myself "no problem I'll just set up some cannons and finish this dude off" well as soon as he hit 1 health I remembered that the final blow to a dragon must be on his heart by my sword not my magic cannon.

Naturally his mouth is taking up the whole door so I cannot go out there, nor do I want to risk running out as I am out of curatives, wakestones and Sway is down. Well that's when it happened, the dragon reared up to do another blast AND MY PAWN TOOK OFF LIKE A MAD MAN, MOMENTS LATER HE RETURNS WITH SWAY IN HIS ARMS RIGHT BEFORE THE BLAST GOES OFF. He drops Sway off at my feet, I revive her, she heals me, I drive my sword through the dragon's heart.

Level 81
Level 80
Dragonforged Ascalon

What a thrill.
hahaha that's my girl!! Awesome...glad you won!

Doesn't clairvoyance work on everything too? You don't get the unique animation against bigger enemies, but it should still hit and deal damage. I've had the counter attack miss against a few enemies though. When beating bitterblack isle of the first time, I actually ended up using clairvoyance as one of my primary skills against the boss.

It would have been nice, but nope. Clairvoyance is still small time while Masterful Kill is godlike.

Masterful Kill has:

- A (much) bigger window to counter attacks
- Counters almost anything you throw at it (grab attacks, arrows and stomps that make your character wobble are some of the few things it can't stop)
- Does biblical damage
- Works on any enemy type in the game outside of the really small mobs like snakes/rabbits/etc.
- Works on some forms of magic (as stated, Holy Furor gets stuffed)

By contrast, Clairvoyance only works at full strength against human-sized enemies. It'll save you from a hit and give you some damage on other types but you won't get the huge counter damage you do on human-sized guys. Masterful Kill is holy shit overpowered lol.

Yup. Sure can (although the marks aren't black but whitish grey). Happened to me playing RE5 when I didn't know any better. Luckily it just lasted a few weeks and was not permanent.

What year is your plasma? I've been playing lots of this game for extended periods, no burn in on my 2011 Panasonic.

Downloading the Dragon's Dogma demo out of curiosity. We'll see how this goes.

After you go through the dungeon demo, try again solo without getting any pawns! My first time through the demo I didn't really get a good impression because there was so much going on with 4 people on my team and everything was just too chaotic. If you don't hire any pawns (and throw the pawn that you start off with over a cliff) and fight everything on your own you should get a much better idea of how combat works.

So does my lantern burn out eventually or what? I wanna use it.. but I don't want to burn it unnecessarily.

Don't sweat it, the thing takes a good while to run out, and you'll be warned by the game.

Glad you're enjoying it. The black bars do suck (rendered that way for engine performance reasons IIRC) but you'll quickly adjust. The combat is well worth the annoyance.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Holy god damn you guys weren't kidding. This character creator system is fucking ace. RPG makers take notes! I almost want to create a Guts look a like to fit the mood. But I'm sure that's probably played out as fuck in this game already, so I'll just do my own thing as I usually do.

What year is your plasma? I've been playing lots of this game for extended periods, no burn in on my 2011 Panasonic.
Ah! We are Panasonic bro's then, awesome. :)

Got mine in 2011 as well too. I've already gone through the breaking in process clearly. Still.. it's always something in the back of my mind whenever I see bars.

Holy god damn you guys weren't kidding. This character creator system is fucking ace. RPG makers take notes! I almost want to create a Guts look a like to fit the mood. But I'm sure that's probably played out as fuck in this game already, so I'll just do my own thing as I usually do.

Actually, despite the huge Berserk nods I haven't seen a zillion ripoffs, only Mercedes (the Casca ripoff Capcom included by default lol). A huge part of me wants to make a Schierke pawn since you can make younger characters (another rarity in character creators). But since I solo most of the time I haven't got the chance.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I created a really good Big Boss. I wasn't going for it at first, but he started to just look like him a little so then I tried to just go all the way with it.

Eusis

You could always just go for someone with a similar overall look but not really the same, mine could pass off well enough I imagine with full Guts attire, but isn't really a Guts double either, just the character I wanted to make.

Hah, nice. Thanks for the generous tip! Haven't even used RC yet but I'm probably set.

Holy god damn you guys weren't kidding. This character creator system is fucking ace. RPG makers take notes!
I like the approach they took, much better than a hundred different sliders. The results are really nice, and you don't often get these type of body options.

Question..
I've got an half-way save in dragon dogma vanilla...
Using the new dragon's dogma requires a clear save or any save file is ah-ok to get the "boost" in dark arisen?

Eusis

Question..
I've got an half-way save in dragon dogma vanilla...
Using the new dragon's dogma requires a clear save or any save file is ah-ok to get the "boost" in dark arisen?
You can continue from right where you left off, it's what I did. I still put it down until near release to be sure I wanted Dark Arisen just because I wanted to save time with teleporting around, and now that I think about it Dragon's Dogma actually would've been an interesting game to discuss in the fast travel thread as an example of a game that kind of designed itself as if it should've had cheap/free fast travel that's reasonably comprehensive given how 99% of your quests involve running far off from Cassadris or Gran Soren and how many essential functions are tied up there.

Just made it to "Arisen's Rest" in BBI. After spending an HOUR shooting gorecyclopes with arrows (because attacking them head on is way too risky) in order to kill them... because my pawns can't seem to figure out I might want to just leave the fuckers and not deal with them... but nope, as soon as I enter the room it's "GORECYCLOPES! I'LL BREAK IT FREE, MASTER!"

and I'm just like "What the fuck, pawn, why would you want to do that?!"

At least they didn't one-hit kill me like the warrior enemies in the hallway right after that.

BBI sure is tough.

Are there no more shortcuts to the surface? I don't want to have to go through all those rooms again and I really want to go to the surface and purify some stuff and hopefully I'll get lucky for once.

Eusis

Just made it to "Arisen's Rest" in BBI. After spending an HOUR shooting gorecyclopes with arrows in order to kill them... because my pawns can't seem to figure out I might want to just leave the fuckers and not deal with them... but nope, as soon as I enter the room it's "GORECYCLOPES! I'LL BREAK IT FREE, MASTER!"

and I'm just like "What the fuck, pawn, why would you want to do that?!"

At least they didn't one-hit kill me like the warrior enemies in the hallway right after that.

BBI sure is tough.

Are there no more shortcuts to the surface? I don't want to have to go through all those rooms again and I really want to go to the surface and purify some stuff and hopefully I'll get lucky for once.
You'll unlock two shortcuts, if you explore the opening area (where Olra is) you should find them, albeit gated off.

You'll unlock two shortcuts, if you explore the opening area (where Olra is) you should find them, albeit gated off.

Two shortcuts? As in the the ones I already unlocked after defeating the first and second boss?

So those are the only two, then?

I'm further in now. I just get a room with Barroch and a rift stone, but it seems the only way back to the surface is a liftstone. I guess I'll just keep going and see how that goes.

Eusis

Two shortcuts? As in the the ones I already unlocked after defeating the first and second boss?

So those are the only two, then?

I'm further in now. I just get a room with Barroch and a rift stone, but it seems the only way back to the surface is a liftstone. I guess I'll just keep going and see how that goes.
Oh crap, thought you were in earlier on. Well, you can run past that stuff reasonably fast, and if any pawns are stupid enough to die you can just revive them almost immediately after where the gorecyclopses are anyway. Trying to fight everything along the way, even skipping the gore cyclopses, would be murder though.

Top Bottom