• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Did you not meet Mason after the mini battle against the Salvation members in the next area?

I'm not that far in the quest. I talked to the guy in the inn who said I should talk to Mason, and now Mason is nowhere to be found. I know I can move ahead without him, but I wanted the medallion so I could talk to the Salvation members.

I'm playing it risky, roaming around BBI at like level 54 solo on my Assassin lol. It's been good fun thus far, got to
the room with the giant Beholder knockoff (well, the second Beholder knockoff as they already had one in vanilla DD).

Had a bit of an "experience" when I was wandering around and suddenly the screen goes all fucked up and this giant dog thing that tries to OHKO me pops out. I survived with 1 HP thanks to that secret augment Tenacity, only to die to from the fall height because he knocks you like a million feet high. :p

Had a Wakestone, jumped back up and dude tried to jump me again. This time I was ready for his ass, popped Masterful Kill and knocked out a decent chunk of his health for all my other attacks not even scratching him. While he was down, I took the hell off and escaped.

Got some ugly ass Assault Boots that give you a massive Strength bonus, but you know what? I just can't do it. They look too damn stupid. XD

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Got some ugly ass Assault Boots that give you a massive Strength bonus, but you know what? I just can't do it. They look too damn stupid. XD

I used to go nuts for gear with +str or +mgk on it till I realized 7 strength is never going to matter at all so now I go for gear with hilarious amounts of resists. Nothing is more hilarious than being immune to petrification and sleep, it makes cockatrices so easy since you don't have to dodge anything and you can actually toe to toe against death.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Whoever said to play the beginning game without the pawns; thank you. It really is like playing a different game. The difficulty spiked and the wins felt much more satisfying. I imagine I'll be playing this way more often than not.

Can someone tell me when I can use the Assassin class? Strider is badass (those dagger combos are so nice). Still, I want that Assassins class asap as it definitely suits my style of play much better.

Whoever said to play the beginning game without the pawns; thank you. It really is like playing a different game. The difficulty spiked and the wins felt much more satisfying. I imagine I'll be playing this way more often than not.

Can someone tell me when I can use the Assassin class? Strider is badass (those dagger combos are so nice). Still, I want that Assassins class asap as it definitely suits my style of play much better.

You can get Assassin
at level 10+ by going to the Union Inn in Gran Soren.

maomaoIYP

I used to go nuts for gear with +str or +mgk on it till I realized 7 strength is never going to matter at all so now I go for gear with hilarious amounts of resists. Nothing is more hilarious than being immune to petrification and sleep, it makes cockatrices so easy since you don't have to dodge anything and you can actually toe to toe against death.

Yeah there really is no point going for gear that gives you any + str or mgk stats, the value is too small to make any difference especially since weapons can give atk values up to 2000.

You can switch instantly when you first get to gran soren and are at least lvl 10. Once you get the assassin's augments the game goes quickly back to gamebreakingly easy though. I had previously completed a pawnless playthrough from scratch. It was hard and rewarding but still a little too easy in the end. A tip you might be interested in; healing is primarily done with food items, and the ones that are god-tier are all the moldy or sour versions, so try to collect your food early and keep them till them turn moldy/sour.

Running or quick moving enemies? Run at them and short hop the Light Attack. Worries about no dodge? Yes there is, Exodus Slash i-frames. General mob killing? Corona Slash and Light Attack while the whole crowd lay on their asses.

Wars are great, just not broke like Mystic Knight and dagger Assassin.

exodus slash is nice, but it didn't help me much with grabs and the area attack living armors do. that was the main issue for me in BBI.

Anyone want Ascalon (powerful enchanted sword) and plays on PS3? I have a spare to give out, else I'll sell it.

And this game reminds me of how much I HATE vanishing drops in games that aren't very arcadey, especially as unlike Monster hunter you can't walk through dead monsters.

the large monsters don't vanish right away because they give you a chance to break off parts after a monster is dead. you can still slash away and get new items you didn't break during a fight that way.

Kyoufu

I'm not that far in the quest. I talked to the guy in the inn who said I should talk to Mason, and now Mason is nowhere to be found. I know I can move ahead without him, but I wanted the medallion so I could talk to the Salvation members.

I think he wanders around so maybe he'll show up at the slums if you rest til morning. Very strange though. Probably glitched. :/

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Added some more people in the doc. If you're early in the game feel free to add and I will use your pawn. Will add higher level people as I level up.

Nyx

Noticed I was still running with lvl 5-6 pawns while I was lvl 14.
So I ditched them and got two new ones around my lvl, so far so good.

Then I go out on a quest and fight mobs to notice that the sorc pawn isn't healing at all.
There was an option to set their skills, right?

Also accepted a quest in Gran Soren for which I have to travel southwest to a place I have not been before, my pawns told me it would be good if I hire a guide, but where?

Tried to go to the quest spot myself but ended up getting lost and killed lol.

GorillaJu

Noticed I was still running with lvl 5-6 pawns while I was lvl 14.
So I ditched them and got two new ones around my lvl, so far so good.

Then I go out on a quest and fight mobs to notice that the sorc pawn isn't healing at all.
There was an option to set their skills, right?

Also accepted a quest in Gran Soren for which I have to travel southwest to a place I have not been before, my pawns told me it would be good if I hire a guide, but where?

Tried to go to the quest spot myself but ended up getting lost and killed lol.

You can set your pawn's skills but be aware that Sorcerer's cannot heal. They can enchant weapons, however, and cast Voidspell.

BqONkw9.jpg

5lerZT7.jpg

i didn't know they threw rocks. had them piled up beside them. you can see the other reaching for another.

3nb7vLW.jpg

what is he up to?

n4bDneM.jpg

i really like this helmet.

BYvP9LL.jpg

I need some post game everfall advice as assassin/magic archer/sorcerer.

-how long before the chests respawn in the chambers of x?

-what kind of items (name of set or something, enhancing gets expensive and buying stuff from the 2 vendors is super expensive too, and it's kind of hard to see which items are worth the time) should I be trying to get as assassin? Which as MA, which as sorc? (any of those would be really helpful), where can I farm them, what's a good way to farm them?
(basically lessons learned by people who have farmed them)

-what else is there to do post game? I've already did the 'a challenge' quest and have been to soulflayer canyon

-my pawn is max rank fighter and warrior, I feel like I want to change his vocation but idk to what, warrior pawn seems crappy anyhow.

-when should I do BBI? (lvl 58 atm and done all the everfall rooms once)

-I keep picking sorc and mage as hired pawns, I'd like to try something else if that is viable but I won't be playing sorc or mage myself, I guess I could make my main pawn mage?

The pawn system is the one akward thing about the game, they should have just let you set their behavior instead of it changing automatically.

maomaoIYP

Finally collected a full carrion set! YESSSSS

edit: A full gold forged carrion set + gold forged sovereign's mantle/hellfire cloak + orge's bone gives 100% stagger and knockdown resistance, I'm never getting another spell cast interrupted again!
Also 100% resist to poison, blindness, sleep, possession, silence, cursed, magick lowered, defenses lowered and magick defenses lowered. Holy shit.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Took me like 5 tries to get down my first Cyclops in hard mode.. but I think I've already gotten the basics of this mode. The difficulty actually isn't much different, if anything it's stamina/consumable management that really comes into play. The money drops though..geezus..cha ching.

Had a good play tonight. Some beginner questions if I may:

* My pawn is currently a mage. Should I leave her like that or change to sorcerer?
* I've switched to assassin at level 15 from a fighter. Any reason not to do so?
* Typically I've been selling off everything I get except for the port crystal I just found at the bottom of a level
when the worms start popping up from the floor.
Is this ok to do or should I be hanging onto gear? I haven't found a great use for it yet.
* Speaking of that section above, whilst doing the descent I fought against some big troll like thing that was excited by girls. I couldn't kill it, was I really supposed to do so?
* How crucial are the "kill 50" type side quests? Can I pretty safely ignore them and get through the game? Would I be missing much? (don't want to ocd this).
* After getting a few levels, I've been swapping out my hired goons for higher levelled ones. Is this about right?

Thanks.

I'm an expert

Had a good play tonight. Some questions if I may:

* My pawn is currently a mage. Should I leave her like that or change to sorcerer?
* I've switched to assassin at level 15 from a fighter. Any reason not to do so?
* Typically I've been selling off everything I get except for the port crystal I just found at the bottom of a level
Is this ok to do or should I be hanging onto gear? I haven't found a great use for it yet.
* Speaking of that section above, whilst doing the descent I fought against some big troll like thing that was excited by girls. I couldn't kill it, was I really supposed to do so?
* How crucial are the "kill 50" type side quests? Can I pretty safely ignore them and get through the game? Would I be missing much? (don't want to ocd this).
* After getting a few levels, I've been swapping out my hired goons for higher levelled ones. Is this about right?

Thanks.

1. Do you like healing/buffs with a bit of offense or do you want full offense with no healing? Sorc is worth leveling for the stats and augments if you plan on keeping your pawn a mage, but if your pawn was your main healer you'd want to enlist another mage pawn. Or if your plan was to go mage->sorc for them to be a nuker, you're on the right path.

2. Unless you're going for very specific min/max builds, there's no reason not to change classes and try stuff out.

3. I don't sell shit in these kinds of games cause "ya never know" and your item storage is infinite anyway. Whatever your preference is.

4. Ogres can be killed, yes. That particular one I don't know if you have to to be able to proceed, but I did when I encountered it. It was a long fight.

5. The notice board quests are there to supplement your exp/questing. You'll get them just from adventuring. If you don't really care about trophies, not much reason to do them..but not much reason to not. They're basically free exp and rewards for doing what you would have done anyway (don't actually go out and hunt that shit down, just let it be natural)

6. Yes, you should swap your 2 pawns out every time you go up a few levels. Try using gafers pawns from the lists (if you're on ps3 you can add me too!).

Trigger

Had a good play tonight. Some questions if I may:

Thanks.

1) Sorcerer's don't have healing spells. If you're depending on her for support then that may be worth consideration.

2) Nope.

3) There's really no need to hang on to gear. You can store the hard to get equipment (rare stuff for example) at the inn if you're concerned about losing something.

4) That Ogre is just a high level opponent. You could have killed him if you're crafty enough, but it's not necessary. Good thing to note about ogre's is that they tend to target women first. I suppose that's not so good if your Arisen is a girl though, lol.

5) They're not crucial unless you're hurting for more cash. A chunk of them can be done while doing more significant quests.

6) That's what most people do. Hired pawns don't level with you.

Thanks for that.

1. Do you like healing/buffs with a bit of offense or do you want full offense with no healing? Sorc is worth leveling for the stats and augments if you plan on keeping your pawn a mage, but if your pawn was your main healer you'd want to enlist another mage pawn. Or if your plan was to go mage->sorc for them to be a nuker, you're on the right path.

I've read a bit more based on this and I think I've got it. I'll level her to get the sorcerer augments and a few stats, then switch back to mage for the healing/buffs.

4) That Ogre is just a high level opponent. You could have killed him if you're crafty enough, but it's not necessary. Good thing to note about ogre's is that they tend to target women first. I suppose that's not so good if your Arisen is a girl though, lol.

Yeah my whole party was female, so couldn't do a lot there. I'd get it down to a quarter or so health and then get destroyed by something. I'm sure I'll be seeing them again to get revenge.

Cool little game overall. Needs some tweaks here and there but I'm enjoying it now.

I never quite figured this out but is there a penalty of some kind for using higher level pawns? Should I be sticking to within a certain range for maximum xp or something?

-what kind of items (name of set or something, enhancing gets expensive and buying stuff from the 2 vendors is super expensive too, and it's kind of hard to see which items are worth the time) should I be trying to get as assassin? Which as MA, which as sorc? (any of those would be really helpful), where can I farm them, what's a good way to farm them?

-what else is there to do post game? I've already did the 'a challenge' quest and have been to soulflayer canyon

-my pawn is max rank fighter and warrior, I feel like I want to change his vocation but idk to what, warrior pawn seems crappy anyhow.

-when should I do BBI? (lvl 58 atm and done all the everfall rooms once)

-I keep picking sorc and mage as hired pawns, I'd like to try something else if that is viable but I won't be playing sorc or mage myself, I guess I could make my main pawn mage?

The pawn system is the one akward thing about the game, they should have just let you set their behavior instead of it changing automatically.

-post game , you should revisit :
-water god altar , soulflyer canyon, the challenge quest and the ennemy dragon in the forest has been changed
-You can start BBI when you reach lV 50 ..so you could start .. it will be a little hard , but you'll get some awesome gear.

Fell free to change your pawn vocation. there are no problems.However i'd advise against starting directly BBI or everfall with a new vocation.
You should feel directly how your pawn behave and change skills accordingly.

Maledict

As someone who bought the original a year ago but didn't play it, would you recommend getting the expansion before playing or just using the original and then importing over?

Dave1988

I never quite figured this out but is there a penalty of some kind for using higher level pawns? Should I be sticking to within a certain range for maximum xp or something?

It's been mentioned here a few pages back that the higher level the pawn is, the less XP you get. It tops out at 50% less XP if the pawn you higher is 20 or more levels above you.

Trigger

There's an exp penalty. I think that applies to hiring any pawn higher than you in level. It's not a huge deal in the long run though.

As someone who bought the original a year ago but didn't play it, would you recommend getting the expansion before playing or just using the original and then importing over?

If you still have that original copy it couldn't hurt to play a little and then do the import to get a few of the extras. They are pretty nice.

I'm an expert

Other than the exp hit they straight up trivialize the game. I could hire a level 60 pawn right now..but WHY.

Mylene

progression from DD to Dark Arisen, lvl 70 to 180

2va6KUQ.jpg

ivcGdYN.jpg

cliffs above BBI
8fy55I3.jpg

KyqwTUS.jpg

GxwzoRN.jpg

going back to Warrior after farming with MA
LDnhRAa.jpg

YA4XzEF.jpg

really hope they update the game with a higher quality screenshot option.

maomaoIYP

- Rest about 3 - 4 days at the inn
- The best items typically have 2% drop rate from specific chests in the everfall. You can save, open the chest, godsbane yourself until you get the item you want. Assassin armor in the EF are things like dark lorica and the twilight arms and legs pieces. The best sorc armor from EF is the berserkin (women only), and holy cuisses. For arms I like the gleaming bangles, but iirc you don't need the EF for that.
- If you're worried about the cost of upgrading just go ahead and start BBI, very early on is a recurring enemy that has a pretty good chance of dragonforging equipment that hasn't been upgraded yet.

progression from DD to Dark Arisen, lvl 70 to 180

i like the face of your main guy. he wants to attack aggressively.

shit i need to get that body armor you have on your pawn

i think it's called trophy jacket.

Carrion is the best set for sorcs/mages. Oblivion is for striders/randers. Hellfire is for fighters/warriors.

i only have two hellfire cloaks. never seen anything else of those, lol. but i'm just progressing naturally. no farming.

I don't get magic archer, I really don't.

The 6 fold arrow or whatever does no dmg , I was shooting a wight with it and the hp bar moves about as much as it does with one normal shot.

Been hitting a gorechimera with spells (high levin, frazil , high ingle) for 10 mins and his hp bar does not move, I call my pawns back to see what dmg it does and it does 0.

I can pull out my daggers, climb on its face and take away all 5 hp bars in under 30 seconds, but the MA bow skills and spells do literally 0 dmg.
I also let my sorc pawn die to see how my warrior pawn does and he is indeed as I thought completely useless, he has a really good sword and 1100 str but he just runs after the thing unable to get a hit off, when he climbs it he does some dmg but he spends most of the time trying to cling on...
I wondered why it took so long to kill shit after i swapped my pawn to warrior and myself to MA

(and yes I am shooting/casting at the heads, which is finnicky in its own with the target lock on thing)

Also now that I'm trying to use ranged, are you expected to swap arrows in the inventory constantly? What a huge pain in the ass

Do magic archer's bow abilities do magic dmg ? is there an element? It seems to be ineffective against almost anything except the critters like wolves and harpies.

GorillaJu

I don't get magic archer, I really don't.

The 6 fold arrow or whatever does no dmg , I was shooting a wight with it and the hp bar moves about as much as it does with one normal shot.

Been hitting a gorechimera with spells (high levin, frazil , high ingle) for 10 mins and his hp bar does not move, I call my pawns back to see what dmg it does and it does 0.

I can pull out my daggers, climb on its face and take away all 5 hp bars in under 30 seconds, but the MA bow skills and spells do literally 0 dmg.
I also let my sorc pawn die to see how my warrior pawn does and he is indeed as I thought completely useless, he has a really good sword and 1100 str but he just runs after the thing unable to get a hit off, when he climbs it he does some dmg but he spends most of the time trying to cling on...
I wondered why it took so long to kill shit after i swapped my pawn to warrior and myself to MA

(and yes I am shooting/casting at the heads, which is finnicky in its own with the target lock on thing)

Also now that I'm trying to use ranged, are you expected to swap arrows in the inventory constantly? What a huge pain in the ass

Sounds like you need a new bow. Once your mag atk is up to a good amount, it'll be much easier.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
How in the world did this game get low scores??????????? This walks all over Skyrim and any rpg that has been released in years!!!! The dungeons are soo original and using player generated characters that grants the owners cashable points and items is one of the freshest idea in years!!

Going out in the wild at night feels like a true adventure, and the difficulty in some spots is just as enerving as Dark Souls...I'm pissed now I've missed out for so long on this gem!!

Only thing I feel is gear loot seems to be sparse, seems I get most of my loot via the shop, but otherwise amazing work Capcom!

Capcom redeemed!

My sorc goes a completely different route. I stay far away from status spells because I find them mostly useless. The whole point of my sorc is to cast big ass spells.
Holy Boon The single best spell in the game. Combined with focused bolt this is the single best tool for 90% of all situations, and is by far, the fastest Ur-dragon destroying tool. It is homing, piercing, hits multiple times, and fires through walls.
Levin Because the other two lightning spells involve putting my sorc in harm's way, so they are pointless. Great for gore orges, living armor, sirens, gargoyles etc.
Voidspell Cures all statuses the Mage's Halidom does not. Perfect for BBI where all sorts of rare status effects in vanilla become common.
Bolide Covers large areas, destroys mobs, looks awesome. The actual impact has a physical damage component as well, and works against golems. It also destroys living armor, and most importantly, death.
Gicel Can be aimed and has a deceptively long range. It's amazing when using this to shoot down a swooping griffon using free aim. It also has a physical damage component. Can instant kill gorechimeras.
Maelstrom or Seism Maelstrom works best in the large open spaces in vanilla, enemies who have been caught in a high maelstrom cannot recover fast enough to escape a second maelstrom. Seism is mostly situational. Even though it is holy it's not useful against the Ur-dragon, but works great against Daimon.

To abuse the spell synchrony I always pick a 2nd sorc with similar spells. And I also have a mage to cover with anodyne and halidom.

You're really missing out when you ignore Miasma. It's one of the best spells in the sorcerer's arsenal. It deals pretty heavy damage in addition to applying poison status.

I'm an expert

How in the world did this game get low scores??????????? This walks all over Skyrim and any rpg that has been released in years!!!! The dungeons are soo original and using player generated characters that grants the owners cashable points and items is one of the freshest idea in years!!

Going out in the wild at night feels like a true adventure, and the difficulty in some spots is just as enerving as Dark Souls...I'm pissed now I've missed out for so long on this gem!!

Only thing I feel is gear loot seems to be sparse, seems I get most of my loot via the shop, but otherwise amazing work Capcom!

Capcom redeemed!

I hope someone has to balls eventually to make a thread praising this game and shitting on games like Dragon Age and Skyrim. It sure as fuck ain't me, but I'd actually love to see the discussion. It really is odd how these kind of games get overlooked..actually it's not, but the reasons why are super depressing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Omg... omg... I just deleted my game save by accident.

I'm going to cry, sonofabitch!

I meant to clear the save on the USB so I could upload my perfect run save, and then mess around with a new character for a bit. But I accidentally deleted the PS3 save.

Wow... that hurt like a punch in the face.

Sanctuary

Alright, sent. Threw in an upgrade too.

Already sent, and you can't make equipment forgeries.

Yes you can. And easily. Well, not "forgeries" if you're thinking Black Cat, but duplicates instead.

Regardless, I didn't know Ascalon was transferrable still, since I thought none of the Everfall gear could be sent anymore.

Sorry but I disagree. I can fire focused bolt about as fast as I can cast high ingle, all while dodging attacks, not using stamina and doing way more damage than any other attack available. Put it into perspective, I remove about 40% of a single bar from daimon's 1st form with a single holy focused bolt. I can instant kill gorechimeras with 1 focused bolt because it tracks enemies that are out of visual range and thus deals the extra damage from hitting an enemy that hasn't noticed you yet. .

You keep talking about enemies that have multiple parts to hit at once. I'm talking about hitting multiple enemies at once...

I'm an expert

I meant to clear the save on the USB so I could upload my perfect run save, and then mess around with a new character for a bit. But I accidentally deleted the PS3 save.

No copies of the save in the cloud?

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

Sucks dude, sorry!! I've had this happen to me in Dark Souls... really sucked!

I hope someone has to balls eventually to make a thread praising this game and shitting on games like Dragon Age and Skyrim. It sure as fuck ain't me, but I'd actually love to see the discussion. It really is odd how these kind of games get overlooked..actually it's not, but the reasons why are super depressing.

We had this exact thread a week or so ago...resulted in a lot of Skyrim bashing which, IMO, was unwarranted. I don't compare DD to Skyrim the same way I don't compare DD to Dark Souls. Does both games a disservice to assume they're so formulaic. At the end of the day you can praise one game without shitting on another. GAF tends to have a tough time with that concept.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

Yeah man, Skyrim and Dragon age bored me to death! This game has me hooked with all the multiplayer innovation and amazing dungeons! And that combat, wow this game really gives you the power of a god when using a sorcerer!

This game is right up there with Dark Souls in terms of innovation! Love it!

Is it perfect... hell no! But its leagues ahead of any other trad rpg made in years!!

Top Bottom