• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

BBI has some good, dense exploration. I'm constantly thinking "ooh, I wonder if I can get over there..." and then, I can! And then, I get gold and treasure! Or a weird statue! Some of it is frustrating, like the part where apparently you have to ride a harpy, or this locked door I can't figure out on the way to Midnight Helix and the first gorecyclops.

It's also great to have the game fuck with you in BBI.
after getting through the room with 2 gorecyclopes, 3 garm, and evil pawns healing them, and then that second group of evil pawn warriors right after that kept one-shotting me, I noticed a hole in a grate on the other side of a ledge! I was thinking yeah! I am smart and great! I can totally air dash over there! And now I get treasure! Noooope. On the other side of the grate was a pit that I fell down, landed in the sewers, with my pawns unable to follow, and then Death immediately spawned on top of me.

demonkaze

Just added myself to the googledoc for X360, my pawn is a 55 Sorc with some everfall gear, invite her if you can. Will also add everyone else.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does anyone have a pro-tip for taking down Ogres? I'm in the Ancient Quarry and they are most troublesome. I can somewhat manage to take take down half its health [takes forever though], but once it goes into bezerk mode they become unstoppable.

How come? Isn't NG+ in this game completely pointless? No increased difficulty or anything, just keep your same stats/shit but start again. If anything I'd farm all that stuff just to make the NG+ run even quicker. Or am I missin sumtin o_O

Achievement/Trophy is the only reason. I want my platinum ^^;

atomsk

Party Pooper
BBI has some good, dense exploration. I'm constantly thinking "ooh, I wonder if I can get over there..." and then, I can! And then, I get gold and treasure! Or a weird statue! Some of it is frustrating, like the part where apparently you have to ride a harpy, or this locked door I can't figure out on the way to Midnight Helix and the first gorecyclops.

I think I know what locked door you are talking about, bottom of that tower with 2 chests you can see? I spent 20 minutes looking and gave up.

They certainly crammed a lot of stuff into what is there, though I'm still a little bummed with the copy/paste in a few environments.

Bitterblack isle is intimidating even though I haven't met anything but super easy enemies yet (only been there for 20 mins)

I found 4 bitterblack novelty lv.1 s , purified 3, got some augment scroll (same one 3 times) is that normal?

Sanctuary

Does anyone have a pro-tip for taking down Ogres? I'm in the Ancient Quarry and they are most troublesome. I can somewhat manage to take take down half its health [takes forever though], but once it goes into bezerk mode they become unstoppable.

Bring a Sorcerer with regular Bolide, or a Ranger with Oil Arrows, then change to Blast on top of having fire spell support (Comestion and especially boon/affinity to enchant your weapons). Levin also helps to stun, but it's not so hot for damage. It's also really random, but you can use the explosive barrels that are usually always around if there's an Ogre to do significant damage to them. Jump on their back if you're not a caster, and jump off when they are about to do their back flop.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

What class are you? As a ranger, my party (sorc, war, fighter) destroyed them pretty easily at like level..23? 24? on normal mode. They have a fuck ton of health but light'em up with fire and it's pretty easy to avoid them. The first one you can kite around using the tunnels, the second and third you can use the elevated areas to your advantage.

Sanctuary

So I was wondering what is generally accepted as the best augments to use as an Assassin?

Clout
Vehemence
Bloodlust (still useful even after the giant nerf)

Followed up with any mix of:

Exhiliration (works great with Tenacity)
Tenacity (when you find it)
Arm Strength
Preemption (especially if you use Invis or bow snipe before you engage)
Proficiency
Grit

Caveat: Sinew is pretty stellar too, but it's mostly a convenience skill for the smaller, lightweight builds. It allows you to carry more before your weight affects your stamina use too much. Even if you use your other pawns as packmules, eventually you're going to end up wanting to carry around a bunch of curatives (especially mushrooms). You really don't want to weigh down your group too much if you can help it, especially your Fighter, who is probably already going to be carrying most of your junk anyway.

I think I know what locked door you are talking about, bottom of that tower with 2 chests you can see? I spent 20 minutes looking and gave up.

They certainly crammed a lot of stuff into what is there, though I'm still a little bummed with the copy/paste in a few environments.

Umm, maybe. So the area I'm thinking of is right after the broken riftstone next to two locked jail cells that can be opened with skeleton keys (the first time this room comes up on the way to Midnight Helix and the first gorecyclops). After going past the jail cells is a room with narrow walkways around the edges of a room filled with water. One of the doorways leading off from that water room is to a door "locked by some device" or something. It shows up as an exclamation mark on the map. I can't get that door open. If you keep going through that level, near the end you can loop back around to what looks like the other end of the locked room, but there's a ledge that's too high to double jump or air dash to.

Anteater

hire some mages/sorcerer with levin, lassitude, and comestion, lassitude should slow them down, levin/comestion should do quite a bit of damage and stunning them, then all you need to do is slash it in the face, or legs to make it lose balance so you could stab it in the face some more =D

Kyoufu

I really need to start feeding Bran's pawn some RC. I feel bad for not playing lately.

K2zH8fQ.jpg

Speaking of the Sorc/Dragon... how do you get to the top area of that room? There's what appears to be a slab up there and I have no idea how to get to it.

sublimit

Banned
I think ever since DA came out pawns from the vanilla game have stopped appearing on the servers.
My pawn was frequently being rented but ever since DA came out she hasn't been rented not even once...

Oh well i guess long time fans are no longer important to Capcom unless they upgrade. :/

Speaking of the Sorc/Dragon... how do you get to the top area of that room? There's what appears to be a slab up there and I have no idea how to get to it.

You can jump up on the ledge behind where you came in, then there's a crumbled pillar at one point that will let you get to the next level and a door. There's some more once you find that too.

Dresden

My last playthrough (pre-DA) was mostly soloing with an assassin/warrior, so playing as a sorceror is . . . really new.

I will never get tired of launching bolide or maelstrom from around the corner. Are there any other cast-time reducers other than Articulacy and the Wyrmking's Ring?

current setup:

• high comestion
  • high levin
  • high exequy
  • holy affinity
  • high bolide
  • high maelstrom

emag

As noted many pages ago, I just couldn't handle BBI when I was level 60ish with non-farmed gear. Having played through most of the main game on Hard mode and getting to level 80 in the process, now most of BBI isn't too bad. I still can't defeat the condemned cyclops, but my team actually does good damage to the the other bosses. Said bosses still kill my main character in two hits, though (rarely one). I'm up to the necromancer/dragon combo now, but can't seem to do much damage to the necromancer. My main character (Sorcerer/MA/MK) and pawn (Mage/Sorcerer) both have primary attack stats of around 1100 (total, including base stats and gear) and defenses around 450-600 (again, total). I'm thinking I might take a break from BBI and revisiting Everfall and e Ur-Dragon to get some better gear (the best I have is dragonforged versions of Tainted Mountain or BBI merchant gear). Thoughts? Advice?

Also, does Hard mode actually affect BBI at all?

Umm, maybe. So the area I'm thinking of is right after the broken riftstone next to two locked jail cells that can be opened with skeleton keys (the first time this room comes up on the way to Midnight Helix and the first gorecyclops). After going past the jail cells is a room with narrow walkways around the edges of a room filled with water. One of the doorways leading off from that water room is to a door "locked by some device" or something. It shows up as an exclamation mark on the map. I can't get that door open. If you keep going through that level, near the end you can loop back around to what looks like the other end of the locked room, but there's a ledge that's too high to double jump or air dash to.

I made the jump with a Sorcerer (although any staff-using class would work -- just jump and float from one of the small alcoves on the sides of the room). Couldn't make it with a double jump as a MA.

SJRB

Gold Member
What class are you? As a ranger, my party (sorc, war, fighter) destroyed them pretty easily at like level..23? 24? on normal mode. They have a fuck ton of health but light'em up with fire and it's pretty easy to avoid them. The first one you can kite around using the tunnels, the second and third you can use the elevated areas to your advantage.

Bring a Sorcerer with regular Bolide, or a Ranger with Oil Arrows, then change to Blast on top of having fire spell support (Comestion and especially boon/affinity to enchant your weapons). Levin also helps to stun, but it's not so hot for damage. It's also really random, but you can use the explosive barrels that are usually always around if there's an Ogre to do significant damage to them. Jump on their back if you're not a caster, and jump off when they are about to do their back flop.

Thanks gents, it took a couple of tries but I finally did it.

Hardest part of the game thus far.

I think ever since DA came out pawns from the vanilla game have stopped appearing on the servers.
My pawn was frequently being rented but ever since DA came out she hasn't been rented not even once...

Oh well i guess long time fans are no longer important to Capcom unless they upgrade. :/

There is nothing but vanilla pawns in the search list when playing DA... to the point where I can't find DA pawns.

If you aren't being hired it's because there's just too many people inactive (big pool to choose from with few choosers)

I got some cursed gear items, I can just purify them or? I read something about them being vocation dependant earier?

Also wow the gorecyclops is terrifying... BBI is so different from vanilla, very dark souls feeling (but with way more fun combat and less tedious 'hold shield up 24/7 to avoid cheap traps)

Skilletor

There is nothing but vanilla pawns in the search list when playing DA... to the point where I can't find DA pawns.

If you aren't being hired it's because there's just too many people inactive (big pool to choose from with few choosers)

This.

I see no DA specific pawns. I wish that "dark arisen pawns" was a search filter option.

I'm lvl 62 now. Things in Everfall are really easy. Took out an ice dragon with no problems.

Still having fun. Went into a room with an ogre, two cyclops, and a golem. COMPLETELY different experience fighting these things as a melee class. Love it.

sublimit

Banned

Strange...

But just before the release of DA my pawn was returning every two days from being rented (sometimes from more than one player) and this stopped completely after DA.And DA has been released for quite some time now...

Anyway it doesn't matter much i guess.I'm level 133 and i have done everything in the game (multiple times) except giving the final blow to online Ur Dragon.So i think i should stop with the game until i get DA. :)

the area after the sorc/dragon is cray

So first you got those annoying red gas cloud enemies...then you got giant lizard sage dudes...oh yeah an an Eliminator. Run too far and an Elder orge will spawn...like why?

what is even?

Why the fuck are the climbing camera and controls so godawfully shit, resulting in my guy climbing in the opposite direction to where I'm pointing the analogue stick half the time, and me not being able to see what the fuck's going on due to said camera?

Why do your pawns do sweet fuck all when you get grabbed by a cyclops, or executioner, or pretty much anything that will insta-kill you with that fucking awful left analogue stick wiggly QTE, where the time always runs out when the bar's filled by a certain amount?

WHY GODDAMIT WHY?

Had to vent, because the second Gorecyclops in The Forgotten Hall on BBI is fucking pissing me off. Try climbing it, my guy spends 99% of the time flailing around like a fuckhead. To do any notable damage, you need to attack the head, or the eye. At which point the bastard grabs me, does the aforementioned bullshit QTE, while my pawns stand around like a bunch of fucktards, takes a chomp and throws me down, taking away my life bar. But hey, at least I came across a glitch where, if you run away far enough to be able to save, when you inevitably end up retrying, you can go back to him, and he'll be chained up again with his health bar wherever you left it.

Dammit, so curious to see the BBI stuff.

Heading there tonight!

Do it man, I did all the rooms in everfall once, did a few like the hydra and the drake/wyrm a few times, got some loot, made sure to dragonforge some of it, but BBI is wayyy awesome so far.
(everfall dissapointed me, it was good fun the first time through but I got bored of it fast since it's such a pain to get the rooms to respawn and to get to the right rooms)

Only been there for about 2 hours but it brings the challenge back into the game (only genuinly hard everfall room is the one with the wright, demon hounds , gorechimera and chimera, and then only if you are a caster or a melee with no physical dmg bow and if you don't have the right spells with you)

The environments and atmosphere are very different, I love the open world adventure of vanilla but variation like this is really nice.
I hope the sequel has a good mix of vanilla DD and BBI style stuff.

BBi is also full of secrets, hidden areas and traps, pretty awesome.
Met death once and he scared she shit out of me, I didn't manage to make a visible dent in his hp bar before he vanished:(

Everfall gear will certainly be of use in BBI for a little while it seems btw, so far all I've found is post game vendor quality gear, not evefall quality stuff.
You do get some REALLY nice rings there, found one with 37 str and 60 blind resistance.
Seems I might return to everfall now and then anyhow to get some gold or wake stones.

Also : if you can't get your pawns hired, BBI enemies drop a decent amount of RC, got about 15k of it in 2 hours. (though you need RC to purify items and to further enhance gear past dragonforged)

YoungOne

How do you dragonforge stuff?

My gear is uber shitty, I think. I don't have anything unique :( or forged.
You get a chance of any of your gear to be dragon forged by killing a dragon or a drake. The higher the upgrade rating you have on your gear the higher chance it will be dragonforged when you kill a dragon, so try to upgrade the gear you want dragonforged to 3 star. You can also get you gear dragonforged guaranteed with the grigori fight.

Skilletor

You get a chance of any of your gear to be dragon forged by killing a dragon or a drake. The hight the upgrade rating you have on your gear the higher chance it will be dragonforged when you kill a dragon. You can also get you gear dragonforged guarenteed with the grigori fight.

Yeah, I got some stuff dragon forged after I beat it.

Coo. I'll have to upgrade my gear. I haven't done that AT ALL during the game, lol. I haven't thrown away or sold anything either, so I might be able to pimp my gear.

You enchant it by at least one star, then you equip it on your main char (not your pawn) and kill a drake, dragon or wyrm.
When it dies there is a chance for each individual item to be dragonforged, which is basically a lvl 4 enchant.

Keep clearing rooms in everfall the chests have a good chance of dropping very strong items, and there are 2 npc shops in there that also sell some of the best everfall gear (weapons and some armor bits), though they cost a LOT of gold.
You should get loads of gold by selling wake stones (don't sell shards, combine them first) that drop there.

Each chest has 2-3 very good drops (2-5 percent chance per item), since there are many chests and many items you should get some stuff fast.
I got 4 weapons and 6 pieces of varying armor in about 10 hours in everfall. (didn't abuse the suicide-> reload to reset chests)

Sanctuary

You have to simply kill any of the dragon type enemies (wyrm, drake, dragon etc). On most of them, your equipment has to be at least at a one star rating before it can be dragonforged. The more stars, the higher the chance (3 star is like 18% chance). It can sometimes forge two items at once too. It only applies to the player character, and you must be wearing the equipment. Some of these types have a 100% chance to forge at least one piece of gear that you have on...

Spoiler if you haven't reached post-game yet.

Also, there's a pretty easy way to "farm" dragonforging. You can do it before post-game with the drake at Devilfire, but during post-game another one appears near the entrance of the quarry close to Gran Soren.

Get one of the drakes low (the Devilfire one is rather glitchy and tends to run away all of the time now and never come back), to the point where you only have to hit it's heart to finish it off. Run away until the game lets you save (usually this will be around the time you have one pawn left fighting it, and then that pawn dies). Turn around and run back towards it, saving again every few meters until you cannot save any longer.

Finish it. If you don't get something forged, use the godsbane on yourself and try again. Grigori has a 100% chance to forge something, and I believe Ur does as well, but he's not worth it for forging. Cursed dragons in BBI seem to do this as well

Drakes respawn after seven days too. Just sleep at the Devilfire Grove rest area (it's the cheapest and fastest place to rest if you dropped a portcrystal there) seven times.

Why the fuck are the climbing camera and controls so godawfully shit, resulting in my guy climbing in the opposite direction to where I'm pointing the analogue stick half the time, and me not being able to see what the fuck's going on due to said camera?

Why do your pawns do sweet fuck all when you get grabbed by a cyclops, or executioner, or pretty much anything that will insta-kill you with that fucking awful left analogue stick wiggly QTE, where the time always runs out when the bar's filled by a certain amount?

WHY GODDAMIT WHY?

Had to vent, because the second Gorecyclops in The Forgotten Hall on BBI is fucking pissing me off. Try climbing it, my guy spends 99% of the time flailing around like a fuckhead. To do any notable damage, you need to attack the head, or the eye. At which point the bastard grabs me, does the aforementioned bullshit QTE, while my pawns stand around like a bunch of fucktards, takes a chomp and throws me down, taking away my life bar. But hey, at least I came across a glitch where, if you run away far enough to be able to save, when you inevitably end up retrying, you can go back to him, and he'll be chained up again with his health bar wherever you left it.

Gorecyclops has a obvious weakpoint , his head or his eye BUT those are risky because
-His head move like crazy and it's hard to hit unless his is not in rage ( he is in rage 90% of the time )
-You can be grabbed if you climb him

So first learn that you can do decent damage when you're on his back in his vertebral "things" just don't climb all the way . But you need augments to stay on his back because he moves a lot .

If you don't have those augments , then you can stay on the ground if you're a warrior, fighter , or assasin.
The trick is to pay attention to his left foot .. and to attack his right foot in a pattern of 1, 2 ,3 ( and then run ) or skill + 1 ,2 ( and then run )
You can kill him in 10 minutes that way ( did it last night )If the right foot make you lose your balance, then don't attack afterward but run to avoid the next hit.. ( to reach a place behind him) , then wait for the foot to reach teh ground and attack.Repeat untill he is down then go all out .
I do that with a tank pawn whose main purpose is to provoque him , while i attack and my main pawn ( sorcerer ) is readying ICE spells.
Work like a charm.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Up to the pawn guild quest on my hard mode run, almost where I was on my first char.. I dunno..now I'm missing my normal mode Ranger. I love hard mode for the stamina management, but I hate it for how much time I spend in the menus lol. Also one hit kills, while challenging as a fighter, I'm sure would suck as any ranged class. Though I read eventually the one hit deaths stop? My ultimate goal was to do a Mystic Knight build, but now I'm not sure. Fuck man. I have like 30 hours in this game and I've still never done the wyrm hunt. My rpg job system ocd is murdering me.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The trick is to pay attention to his left foot .. and to attack his right foot in a pattern of 1, 2 ,3 ( and then run ) or skill + 1 ,2 ( and then run )
You can kill him in 10 minutes that way ( did it last night )If the right foot make you lose your balance, then don't attack afterward but run to avoid the next hit.. ( to reach a place behind him) , then wait for the foot to reach teh ground and attack.Repeat untill he is down then go all out .
I do that with a tank pawn whose main purpose is to provoque him , while i attack and my main pawn ( sorcerer ) is readying ICE spells.
Work like a charm.

Huh I should have done that, instead I just hid where he couldnt' reach me and went MK cannon spam, I would take off about 3/4 of a health bar with 2 holy enchanted cannons up.

Takes a little longer than a full on approach since you don't have much control over where you're hitting him, took me just over 10min.

DC1

Omg... omg... I just deleted my game save by accident.

I'm going to cry, sonofabitch!

I meant to clear the save on the USB so I could upload my perfect run save, and then mess around with a new character for a bit. But I accidentally deleted the PS3 save.

Wow... that hurt like a punch in the face.

No PSPlus backup? :(

DC1

It's also great to have the game fuck with you in BBI.
after getting through the room with 2 gorecyclopes, 3 garm, and evil pawns healing them, and then that second group of evil pawn warriors right after that kept one-shotting me, I noticed a hole in a grate on the other side of a ledge! I was thinking yeah! I am smart and great! I can totally air dash over there! And now I get treasure! Noooope. On the other side of the grate was a pit that I fell down, landed in the sewers, with my pawns unable to follow, and then Death immediately spawned on top of me.

..and this my friends is only one example of why this game is an avalanche of RPG goodness!

Eusis

Thanks, man. I'm hope one day I'll be able to return the favor.
Honestly probably the best way by the time you'd get to the same level is to just throw equipment down to other players too, the one person that outfitted my Pawn near the start of my game is level infinity now and I probably couldn't offer anything to anyway.

And the fight those weapons drops from can be stupidly easily farmed for whatever it's worth, I ended up selling a Heaven's Key, giving another away, and STILL have another I could give out or sell.

Skilletor

Is the mystic knight's damage strength or magic based?

Thanks everybody for the answers. I love this thread. :)

So much happiness in here.

I'm an expert

It depends on the specific abilities, but even his main one is 40% str/60% mag, so there's chances to build a knight without going too crazy building one stat. You can do fighter->warrior->mk and do fine or you can do mage->sorc->mk and be fine or you can do fighter->sorc/mage->war to mk and still be fine lol. If you pick up the augments that boost str or magic you can make up for the lacking.

I'm personally doing fighter->sorc->mk for a nice balance but mainly magic and focus on perfect block.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Based on some really rough testing I did using the strength boost and magick boost items I believe all of the MK's attacks except for the purely physical ones (like burst strike and full moon slash) are boosted by both strength and magick.

Basically Magick Cannon can be a nuclear bomb if you stack str and mgk boosts before enchanting yourself and then plopping down a pair of cannons.

Bought Dark Arisen yesterday. Only played the demo for DD - I enjoyed it, but was still progressing through Witcher 2 and some other games... and never got around to picking it up.

Only level 10 or so at the moment - my current quest is to deliver a hydras head somewhere. I have been doing some sidequests in the meantime. Went to go and see a witch in the woods... that was interesting. I love the darkness/visibility element of the game, adds so much atmosphere that is missing in most of these types of game.

Before that however - I got a quest to go and explore some well... WTF.

That was hard. The rats/spiders/bats were laughable... but then I jumped down some pit into poisonous water and started fighting crocodile warrior things. I died pretty horribly the first time. Went back the second time and kept my distance and tried to pick them off one by one by leading them away. I was only a level 6-7 Strider at that point, I had Rook with me, and my pawn is a mage who could enchant my weapons with fire, and heal, and cast a fireball herself.

Took me a long time but they went down (I'd love to know how many arrows I fired).

Glad I picked it up - I'll keep updating in this thread.

I'm an expert

Bought Dark Arisen yesterday. Only played the demo for DD - I enjoyed it, but was still progressing through Witcher 2 and some other games... and never got around to picking it up.

Only level 10 or so at the moment - my current quest is to deliver a hydras head somewhere. I have been doing some sidequests in the meantime. Went to go and see a witch in the woods... that was interesting. I love the darkness/visibility element of the game, adds so much atmosphere that is missing in most of these types of game.

Before that however - I got a quest to go and explore some well... WTF.

That was hard. The rats/spiders/bats were laughable... but then I jumped down some pit into poisonous water and started fighting crocodile warrior things. I died pretty horribly the first time. Went back the second time and kept my distance and tried to pick them off one by one by leading them away. I was only a level 6-7 Strider at that point, I had Rook with me, and my pawn is a mage who could enchant my weapons with fire, and heal, and cast a fireball herself.

Took me a long time but they went down (I'd love to know how many arrows I fired).

Glad I picked it up - I'll keep updating in this thread.

You've been initiated. This game doesn't hold your hand, even in the beginning. It'll give you quests in a little while that'll make you go nuh uh, no way, not at this level. It's somewhat crazy but somewhat refreshing. You can recruit up to one more pawn (for a total of 4 including you) using a rift stone. I'd drop Rook and pick up two others. If you add people from the gaf googledoc you can invite their pawns too.

You've been initiated. This game doesn't hold your hand, even in the beginning. It'll give you quests in a little while that'll make you go nuh uh, no way, not at this level. It's somewhat crazy but somewhat refreshing. You can recruit up to one more pawn (for a total of 4 including you) using a rift stone. I'd drop Rook and pick up two others. If you add people from the gaf googledoc you can invite their pawns too.

Yeah it didn't take long to work that Rook is crap (and his model is hilarious).

I have since taken a fighter and another mage. I'm thinking I'll take two fighters for a little while and then swap out to two mages (depending on what I have access too at the time) when my Strider is a little less.... one-shotty.

Top Bottom