• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

RPGCrazied

Why o Why isn't there not fast travel in this? I'm still fairly early in the game. And it feels like Demon Souls in difficulty sometimes.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Why o Why isn't there not fast travel in this? I'm still fairly early in the game. And it feels like Demon Souls in difficulty sometimes.

There is a sort of fast travel, but you have to really pick your spots... since in early game, the opportunities are sparse, or quite costly.

Have you reached Gran Soren? If so, there is a ferrystone that spawns (for free) semi regularly. And later in the game the options open up more.

But no you cannot zip all around anywhere on the map like shittyville Skyrim. This is a problem for some, but I think it's one of the game's strengths.

RPGCrazied

There is a sort of fast travel, but you have to really pick your spots... since in early game, the opportunities are sparse, or quite costly.

Have you reached Gran Soren? If so, there is a ferrystone that spawns (for free) semi regularly. And later in the game the options open up more.

But no you cannot zip all around anywhere on the map like shittyville Skyrim. This is a problem for some, but I think it's one of the game's strengths.

Yeah, but doesn't help that at night you can't see shit, and the A.I for the most part are dumb as rocks. Which help command is for attacking? I'm using both left and right on the dpad, and a lot of the times they just stand there. I'm guessing Go is to follow you?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Making fast travel limited is so good. Wandering the wilderness is the whole life of this game. I basically only use it as a hearth to Soren/Cassardis. The rest, I'll walk, thanks.

Yeah, but doesn't help that at night you can't see shit, and the A.I for the most part are dumb as rocks. Which help command is for attacking? I'm using both left and right on the dpad, and a lot of the times they just stand there. I'm guessing Go is to follow you?

(take out your lantern) It's supposed to be dark. It's night. You're adventuring through dangerous lands. Enjoy the care put into the lighting and sound. Up on the d-pad, go, is attack. Down, come, is follow.

Evolved1

Press up to send them to attack, and down to defend you. Left and right are for buffs and heals.

Also... night time, the dark, is the best thing about this game. Imo. I play without any HUD, and it makes night even better. (wish there was an option to only see my own stamina :()

I do not use pawns very much. Don't really like them. My new character in hard mode is a mage, so I have my main pawn and another agro-stump for enemies to focus on, because playing mage can be pain solo.

Anyway... if you use pawns, you need to understand their inclinations. It makes a big difference. Unfortunately, nothing every makes them stop talking. lol.

KorrZ

The only issue I have with the classes is that it kind of feels like a misnomer. The Strider, Assassin and Ranger have virtually the same playstyle and very similar movesets. They do definitely have their differences, but not enough to warrant calling them different classes (they would be the "Shotos" of this game). I also wish the Warrior was actually worthwhile past vanilla, or that he was actually useful beyond just using his basic attacks. You can charge/topple some bigger enemies, but the Warrior still has the hardest time out of every class.

That's definitely true, but I still feel like they've done a great job overall with the classes. They could trim some fat (i.e. realistically I think they could ditch the starter classes and let you pick from any of the advanced classes right away, as they are so similar) but for a first effort it's great. In the sequel I'm sure they'll consolidate some classes and add new more unique ones.

Just don't ditch Ranger, Magick Archer or Mystic Knight in the DD2 or there will be hell Capcom

All Monsters have damage resistance threshold. (Some, more so than others: some magic base others physical)

Your base lvl + magic lvl+ magic-bow damage output is not enough to put a dent in bbi Cyclops.
However (If you're going to give the MA another go) pick up a minimum of four Solomons from the wealthy merchant in Grand (for magic buff) and attack the cyclops again with ric or the six shot homing shot.

By the way ..you will really start to lvl fast and start picking up some great gear while playing through this tough part. Things will get tremendously easier...still a challenge but kick ass fun.
I look forward to finding eliminator s in close quarters.. they use to own me!

Edit! Forgive me ...your talking about the giant eye!
jump on the head from up top..climb directly on the eye ball...pop 4 strength tonics and then hundred kiss his butt! ...bring extra tonics and a cure for blindness... if you fall off rinse and repeat

Thanks for the advice, I brought some of those tonics for next time I meet a big enemy and he is staggered.

And yeah I crapped all over the eye boss when I got tired of shooting and swapped to my daggers , it summoned the eye and the 4 channeling tentacles, I killed those , it fell to the ground and I hundred kisses'ed the eye 's hp bar away like snow in the sun.

I guess the damage treshold is why I'm doing literally 0 dmg? Because I don't have enough dmg to break the 'absorb' on each hit?
Then why do my main story daggers (far inferior to the everfall bow) manage to crap on enemies but the bow doesn't? :\

Do you know what element each of the MA abilities are, because it for sure isn't physical damage (no dmg on wrights or golems)

Anyhow I unliocked the first shortcut and found some board quests (gorecyclops in soulflayer canyon and goblins in witchwood) so I guess i'll go do those first.

Evolved1

Also, travelling at night is a great way to face wolves instead of bandits in some areas... especially on the way to Witchwood in the early game.

Bandits can really wreck your shit.

RPGCrazied

Haha, thanks. No wonder they weren't attacking. And maybe my TV settings is a little bit off. But night time, even with the lantern, is really dark. I can basically see 5 feet ahead of me.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Haha, thanks. No wonder they weren't attacking. And maybe my TV settings is a little bit off. But night time, even with the lantern, is really dark. I can basically see 5 feet ahead of me.

Exactly. It's night.

It's night.

It's dark.

I have my internal game setting at 3 for brightness. Just right so when dawn/dusk hit you can slightly see everything.

You can adjust the brightness in the options ingame, the game asks you to turn it down till you can't see the second dragon icon anymore but all that will accomplish on an LCD is crushed blacks (which means there is no shadow detail, it's just even black, which is retarded)
If you set it to default it's still dark past your lantern but you can actually see during the day and can see properly within lantern range during night, the game has really pretty textures and art it's a shame to miss out on those.

I wish you could bind an equipment set to each class though... such a pain in the butt to switch it all around every time you change vocation.

Or if not bind the equipment, how about let you change equipment while you're in the inn-keep menu? Instead of having to exit out of the entire conversation to make any adjustments?

I love this game but many aspects of it feel like amateur hour.

You CAN swap equipment from the innkeeper, you go to manage inventory -> change equipment
This lets you equip your chars and it shows ALL of your equipment (in storage and on your characters), it's very convenient.

edit: can anyone suggest the best fighter pawn skills to use in BBI?
I have it on blitz strike (with the ring to upgrade it but i haven't noticed what it actually does) steel will (since he takes way more dmg in BBI and was going through curatives fast before I equipped the skill, he hasn't died once since) and hindsight sweep (no idea what to pick as third skill)
+
shield drum (mandatory since I run with mage+ sorc + I'm ranged
shield storm (to break guard, not sure if there is ANY point to this in BBI?)
Sheltered assault

He seems to be useful most of the time but against faster enemies/chimeras/the GIANT wolf boss he seems to not do anything

I'm an expert

You CAN swap equipment from the innkeeper, you go to manage inventory -> change equipment
This lets you equip your chars and it shows ALL of your equipment (in storage and on your characters), it's very convenient.

To add to that, just choose not to remove your gear when you change vocation and you'll just leave it all on and then you can change what you want. But, yeah, the innkeeper is where I do all my equip swapping since it reaches into your inventory and your storage.

Evolved1

Is this a new thing in DA? I was planning to pick up DA in a week or two... but afaik you cannot do this in vanilla.

I'm an expert

Is this a new thing in DA? I was planning to pick up DA in a week or two... but afaik you cannot do this in vanilla.

DA has a ton of tweaks and fixes over vanilla. Why it's also worth it for anyone who didn't play vanilla at all. Apparently vanilla "fast travel" is even more limited than it is now......AWESOME.

Evolved1

DA has a ton of tweaks and fixes over vanilla. Why it's also worth it for anyone who didn't play vanilla at all.

Well, I'm glad they finally realized how dumb that shit was in vanilla (changing gear at the Inn, not fast travel, I like vanilla fast travel just how it is). lol

Well, I'm glad they finally realized how dumb that shit was in vanilla (changing gear at the Inn, not fast travel, I like vanilla fast travel just how it is). lol

The game also shows how many of an item you have in your storage when you are at a store, which is very convenient. (which is also new in DA I believe)

Sanctuary

It's not "very" convenient. It's not even convenient which is why they brought it up in the first place. Every time you change your vocation it auto-unequips all of your gear. What he was suggesting was having gear sets all ready to go so that once you switch vocations, you don't have to laborously go piece by piece to put it all back on. It's extremely annoying that the game does this, especially if you're switching between vocations that can wear the same gear.

No, you can't do what you were thinking. Equipping gear is still a mess when switching vocations. You know, it unequips all your stuff, yet it doesn't send it back to storage? Ooookay. So that means that not only do you have to go through the inventory to put on the gear you can wear, you have to dump all that you had on you back into storage too.

edit: They did change the fact that you don't have to remove each piece from the inventory before equipping it. That is a small improvement, but it's still an obnoxious system.

Anteater

yo what's up with the ogre in bbi, my attacks doesn't do any damage, I know I'm only lvl38 but still, dude has like 8 bars of health.

xuchu

Relatively new player here and I'm loving this game. Went fighter from levels 1-10, then assassin until 41. The dragon battle was epic! Decided to switch to mystic knight and, I got my ass kicked in post game for a while but, now that I've got great cannon and ruinous sigil everything gets destroyed. Abbysal anguish is pretty good too, though I'm not a fan of the cast time.

Loving the mystic knight overall and any tips regarding skills and augments would be appreciated. Thinking about going sorcerer for around 15 levels to raise my magic attack a bit later.

PS: anybody else find that great cannon destroys the framerate? It literally becomes stop motion o_O

Anteater

Well that was scary as fuck, killed it the old fashion way, just like the good old times. I really need better gears. My magic counter is useless since any normal attacks are breaking my guard.

Holy shit i found a snakeskin purse in a chest in BBI, I've never done that quest in all my playthroughs.

Evolved1

Relatively new player here and I'm loving this game. Went fighter from levels 1-10, then assassin until 41. The dragon battle was epic! Decided to switch to mystic knight and, I got my ass kicked in post game for a while but, now that I've got great cannon and ruinous sigil everything gets destroyed. Abbysal anguish is pretty good too, though I'm not a fan of the cast time.

Loving the mystic knight overall and any tips regarding skills and augments would be appreciated. Thinking about going sorcerer for around 15 levels to raise my magic attack a bit later.

PS: anybody else find that great cannon destroys the framerate? It literally becomes stop motion o_O

If you play MK... it's nice to have the augment that makes your enchants last longer... think it's mage that give you that? Maybe sorc? Idk... but it's really great to have as MK (my favorite vocation in the game, and the best one for solo play since it mixes magic/melee/shield)

Which spells are the best for my sorcerer pawn? I find the spells which take a huge amount of time to cast pretty worthless, but I can not seem to find out which spells have a low cast time and whether I should keep one long cast spell for the bigger enemies.

Any help is appreciated.

Anyone?

So I never talked to Aelinore in the garden way back when, so I can't do all her quests.

Seriously, fuck you Capcom. I explred the shit out of the garden and nobody was there. A cutscene then triggers that has nothing to do with her, and I'm supposed to know to randomly recheck the garden again cus some important NPC is going o randomly show up.

Go Suck a dick Capcom. Fix your quest structure bullshit in Deep Down.

Anyway, general inquiery, assassin or mystic knight for BBI. Is death weak to holy? And the wiki states that cycclops' are weak to lighting...i though it was fire?

Anteater

The only time I 'killed' an Elder Ogre was when it jumped off a bridge.

yea, that's what I did, lured him to the ledge and made it fall, lol.

Spent like 15minutes hacking away 2 bars of its health and I died from a mimic, because hey there's a chest in a corner, why not..

DC1

Thanks for the advice, I brought some of those tonics for next time I meet a big enemy and he is staggered.

And yeah I crapped all over the eye boss when I got tired of shooting and swapped to my daggers , it summoned the eye and the 4 channeling tentacles, I killed those , it fell to the ground and I hundred kisses'ed the eye 's hp bar away like snow in the sun.

I guess the damage treshold is why I'm doing literally 0 dmg? Because I don't have enough dmg to break the 'absorb' on each hit?
Then why do my main story daggers (far inferior to the everfall bow) manage to crap on enemies but the bow doesn't? :

Do you know what element each of the MA abilities are, because it for sure isn't physical damage (no dmg on wrights or golems)

Anyhow I unliocked the first shortcut and found some board quests (gorecyclops in soulflayer canyon and goblins in witchwood) so I guess i'll go do those first.

Because some monster have a higher magic threshold than physical.

When you have a chance. Upgrade your bow beyond the dragonforgded through the merchant in bbi (rarifying) couple with magic Solomon buffs will get you through most problems until you find a cursed weapon lvl3 magic bow. Once you get that..and rarity it... the enemy will run from you in terror! ( just kidding.. but, you will kick their collective butts with confidence)

So I go into a room with some 3 story tall monster chained up.

I'm level 63.

It one shotted me.

What the fuck is it?

Yeah, he also one shotted me. Fuck. He takes a lot if damaged when he's oiled up and you use a throwblast on him. Thats why I asked if h is weak to thunder because hes a cyclops type right? I need strats for that fucker.

Evolved1

So I never talked to Aelinore in the garden way ack when, so I can't do all her quests.

Seriously, fuck you Capcom. I explred the shit out of the garden and nobody was there. A cutscene then triggers that has nothing to do with her, and I'm supposed to know to randomly recheck the garden again cus some important NPC is going o randomly show up.

Go uck a dick Capcom. Fix your quest structure bullshit in Deep Down.

Anyway, general inquiery, assassin or mystic knight for BBI. Is death weak to holy? And the wiki states that cycclops' are weak to lighting...i though it was fire?

Dragon's Dogma and Deep Down are not related. Capcom said this back when the trailers were released. Said they wanted the devs to be able to create a new experience free of fan expectation. Clean slate and all that.

Yeah, he also one shotted me. Fuck. He takes a lot if damaged when he's oiled up and you use a throwblast on him. Thats why I asked if h is weak to thunder because hes a cyclops type right? I need strats for that fucker.

I've never used throwblast (NOR special arrows, or any of the other tool items or consumables:p)
Having to pause the game to use items is so incredibly offputting that I avoid it as much as I can.

haikira

Dragon's Dogma and Deep Down are not related. Capcom said this back when the trailers were released. Said they wanted the devs to be able to create a new experience free of fan expectation. Clean slate and all that.

I guess we can still hope for a spiritual successor, even if it's not Dragon's Dogma by name.

So Arisen's Bond is basically pointless. It really doesn't matter who you give it to, the game will just pair you with a random person at the end provided their affinity for you is max. No rhyme or reason.

Evolved1

I guess we can still hope for a spiritual successor, even if it's not Dragon's Dogma by name.

This is just my gut feeling, but I believe Deep Down is Capcom thinking they can do Souls better than FROM.

xuchu

If you play MK... it's nice to have the augment that makes your enchants last longer... think it's mage that give you that? Maybe sorc? Idk... but it's really great to have as MK (my favorite vocation in the game, and the best one for solo play since it mixes magic/melee/shield)

Yeah, the wiki says that it's a mage augment. Have been having troubles with enchants running out, made even worse by that fact that, I only just found out that holding down the enchant button makes it go into its upgraded version despite having the upgraded enchant for quite a while now.

Any quick ways for getting vocation ranks? I know of the gran soren guards method, does that still work in dark arisen or have they patched it out?

Also, does using an always-enchanted weapon affect great cannon? It would be nice to not have to recast the enchant all the time.

burgerdog

It's weak to ice. Break the helmet and then hit the eye. It's not worth fighting if you don't have a lv2 cursed weapon. It will just take too long and be a waste of time. Skip it for now and go back for round 2 once you have better gear.

xuchu

So Arisen's Bond is basically pointless. It really doesn't matter who you give it to, the game will just pair you with a random person at the end provided their affinity for you is max. No rhyme or reason.

Haha, yeah I got symone - fournival's daughter - which made for an incredibly awkward final cutscene.

Sanctuary

This is just my gut feeling, but I believe Deep Down is Capcom thinking they can do Souls better than FROM.

That would be sad, since we don't need two Souls franchises. We need one, and a Dragon's Dogma franchise.

It's weak to ice. Break the helmet and then hit the eye. It's not worth fighting if you don't have a lv2 cursed weapon. It will just take too long and be a waste of time. Skip it for now and go back for round 2 once you have better gear.

Or you're a MA/Sorcerer. These are pathetically easy to kill with Sixfold/Gicel. It takes a while, but they can't hit you.

Evolved1

Yeah, the wiki says that it's a mage augment. Have been having troubles with enchants running out, made even worse by that fact that, I only just found out that holding down the enchant button makes it go into its upgraded version despite having the upgraded enchant for quite a while now.

Any quick ways for getting vocation ranks? I know of the gran soren guards method, does that still work in dark arisen or have they patched it out?

Also, does using an always-enchanted weapon affect great cannon? It would be nice to not have to recast the enchant all the time.

I don't really know how the mechanics work. Might want to check a wiki... I play games, at least try, very organically. And only really think about the math happening under the surface if I hit trouble, or if something about the game is annoying me (I'm a terrible backseat dev like that... lol).

That would be sad, since we don't need two Souls franchises. We need one, and a Dragon's Dogma franchise.

I have no opinion on it. Just the feeling I get from seeing the early stuff.

Evolved1

It better not be a Souls clone. Capcom can make DD something special if they keep at it.

If it is truly their take on Souls, it will not be a clone. That I can say for certain. Capcom does not rip people off wholesale. They might make decisions that drive people nuts, but even when they walk on well trodden ground, they do it in their own way.

I have a feeling it will be Souls + Diablo + some Dragon's Dogma (mostly the pawn system). But that's probably too much speculation at this point.

I do feel quite confident saying it will be more Souls than DD though. At least in the respect that I do not expect a large, open-world game.

edit: And if DD:DA does well enough... they could, you know... make another one. lol

Yeah, I'd keep the long cast time spells off your pawn - they have no idea how and when to use them properly. I'd only recommend having those spells if you're Arisen is also a sorcerer so you can synch up your cast times.

I'd equip Levin, Comestion, Frigor, Voidspell, Miasma, and a Boon of your choice.

Anteater

yea i'm going to quit BBI, took me forever to get the giant eyeball down half of the hp bar, let's see what these cursed items are.

yo what's up with the ogre in bbi, my attacks doesn't do any damage, I know I'm only lvl38 but still, dude has like 8 bars of health.

38 is kinda low. BBI won't be much fun if you don't stack up on damage+ tokens. some bosses have insane HP and res.

i posted my results with the bond in the OT back in january: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46538093&postcount=12631

mrpeabody

I love the Pawn system and the new approach to async multiplayer. Pawns gaining knowledge about quests and enemies is such a cool idea.

This game feels like Capcom looked at Dark Souls and Skyrim, thought hard about it, and came back with something new.

Top Bottom