• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DrDisrespect permanently banned from Twitch [Now Streaming on YouTube]

triplejjj

Neo Member
Yeah sure.

The post I was responded to claimed there's no way Twitch hasn't told him though.

Obviously it's possible he "knows" (or at least strongly suspects.) But the question here is whether he's lying about Twitch not telling him.

Word, I'd bet he knows, but it's more of a hype getter to make twitch out to be the bad guy, and it's likely something Twitch doesn't want leaking so they are being silent on it.

Good move by doc for leveraging it for hype.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Word, I'd bet he knows, but it's more of a hype getter to make twitch out to be the bad guy, and it's likely something Twitch doesn't want leaking so they are being silent on it.

Oh I'm pretty sure he "knows" too. And yeah he seems confident in his comeback, spent some time and effort on that trailer, etc.

So maybe it's nothing serious.. the early rumor was "it will kill his career" but rumors are rumors.

Even if it is a legal issue (which could explain Twitch's silence), it might not be career ending either way.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
need doc back, wanna know what he thinks about hyper scape and halo 3

he should go to youtube, work with them to expand the territory

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

If Doc is lying to the press, thereby making Twitch look bad, they will sue to protect their brand. This would be an easy case of defamation if true.

I mean it's potentially not a lie, you and I won't know the difference, but - if you happen to do something (like steal from a company) then they fire you for cause (but without citing a reason) you can literally say 'they have not told me the reason' and it would be ethically and legally true.

Doc is not a direct employee of Twitch. The contract between the 2 parties would determine whether or not Twitch can fire without cause. The likelihood of his agency allowing for such a clause in his contract is minute unless he was working with incompetent people. I highly doubt CAA is this incompetent. Twitch would most likely incur substantial loss by serving without cause.

Serving an agreement with cause usually predicates advance notice defined by the parties. If Twitch notified him and he lied to the press about it, it would be a very bad situation for him. The likelihood of his legal counsel telling him to lie to the press is non-existent.

Here's a lawyer reviewing the interviews on the Youtube going over why it is unlikely that Doc was informed, also portions on the likely contractual language around ceasing/breaching:

Relevant bits end at 15:14.

Last edited:

OutRun88

^Her deleted tweet seems to be entirely bullshit. No follow-up yet either makes me think her sources didn't know anything either.

Also, it is strange that Twitch won't go on the record at all outside of their generic "TOS violation" comment.

Charlatans everywhere. Social media is equivalent to a never ending 13th grade where grown ass adults still want to be the popular kid.

ManaByte

Gold Member

maxresdefault.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
At this point, I suspect Twitch likely regretted the contract value once Mixer collapsed and found some bullshit TOS violation to end the agreement. Doc will sue and the 2 parties will settle out of court. Doc will recoup a small portion of the loss and the lawyers will be the real winners.

Barakov

^Her deleted tweet seems to be entirely bullshit. No follow-up yet either makes me think her sources didn't know anything either.

Also, it is strange that Twitch won't go on the record at all outside of their generic "TOS violation" comment.

These twats would do the same thing if they thought it would give them coverage. They're so predictable at this point. Them even talking about it is giving it coverage so their concern trolling is just helping DrDisrespect.

IntentionalPun

She's a former Twitch employee, so she probably does have good sources (current Twitch employees.)

Just because Doc is probably streaming again soon doesn't mean what she said is BS.

If it's actually something incredibly serious, particularly involving law enforcement, it could be a while before anyone knows, and Doc could start streaming somewhere without a YouTube or Facebook Gaming knowing.

triplejjj

Neo Member
If Doc is lying to the press, thereby making Twitch look bad, they will sue to protect their brand. This would be an easy case of defamation if true.

This happens far too much on gaming boards/subreddits - people throw around these concepts like they have any idea how real life works.

No. That's not how defamation works. That's not how the US legal system works. That's not how a law suit works.

In order for a defamation case to be tried or even settled you need to discern what damages or loss was done by the statement(s). He literally has said nothing to defame twitch, and twitch themselves cancelled their business with Doc.

There's no case there, so please just watch like a 10 minute legal eagle video on defamation before you go around spouting crap.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This happens far too much on gaming boards/subreddits - people throw around these concepts like they have any idea how real life works.

No. That's not how defamation works. That's not how the US legal system works. That's not how a law suit works.

In order for a defamation case to be tried or even settled you need to discern what damages or loss was done by the statement(s). He literally has said nothing to defame twitch, and twitch themselves cancelled their business with Doc.

There's no case there, so please just watch like a 10 minute legal eagle video on defamation before you go around spouting crap.

A forum is a different beast than the press. Defamation may be a stretch, but what possible positive outcome would there be for Doc, his PR agency, and his lawyers by allowing him to state this? There is none. It makes zero sense for him & his counsel to manufacture a false narrative that they have no idea why the contract was breached.

Grinchy

Banned
She's a former Twitch employee, so she probably does have good sources (current Twitch employees.)

Just because Doc is probably streaming again soon doesn't mean what she said is BS.

If it's actually something incredibly serious, particularly involving law enforcement, it could be a while before anyone knows, and Doc could start streaming somewhere without a YouTube or Facebook Gaming knowing.

I really don't know - why would it be a while before anyone knows if it involved law enforcement? Aren't arrests public information?

IntentionalPun

I really don't know - why would it be a while before anyone knows if it involved law enforcement? Aren't arrests public information?
Yes; but having a crime reported isn't.

If Twitch became privy to something major, they would likely contact LE and keep quiet. Cops then don't necessarily act immediately unless there's someone in danger or evidence in danger of being destroyed.

You can be reported for a crime and not actually get contacted by police for months.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I don’t see why people think it’s impossible that Twitch didn’t tell him the exact reason.

These companies are giant platforms that can do whatever they want. They could easily give him a bullshit “reason” which doesn’t point to anything specifically.

Just weird to see people jump to defending Twitch and immediately disbelieve him. Like I really don’t see a reason to take Twitch’s side

Truth is when these companies deplatform you they don’t really need a reason

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Interesting tidbit: DSP was also banned from Twitch seemingly without reason, but he actually got into contact with them and they told him it was over a DMCA claim (false one, of course people are trolling him with false DMCAs now). They wouldn't tell him on what exactly but 7 hours later he got his channel back.

Seems Twitch are talking about bans. I find the idea that Doc doesn't know to be really hard to believe.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Probably got culled for his bathroom part. Wouldn't be shocked if heads of amazon got notice of it after all this time and ripped him off the platform.

Caffeine

Was mixer a big competitor? I thought they always had shit numbers outside the big names that were there because of being moneyhatted. I don't know what numbers had this guy, but I assume that if very big he'll move to Youtube or Facebook gaming if has issues with Twitch.
ye its def legal stuff behind the scenes. "big competitor" was due to them making acquisition moves I wouldnt look much into it there isnt that many streaming platforms. mixer was in the ballpark of facebooks numbers based on last years stats. but they both shy in comparison to youtube gaming. honestly doc would be fine going anywhere something legal is preventing him. who knows.

"overall market share (9.3 billion streaming hours watched), eclipsing competitors such as Mixer (353 million hours watched), Facebook Gaming (356 million) and YouTube Gaming (2.7 billion). "

Pantz

For you superfans. If you always dreamed to see DrDisrespect up close, you can see him a couple times in this VR video from EA Play 2019, if you have VR headset. He's pretty tall.

pqueue

Please do not play lawyer on the Internet.

This is not defamation, in any way.

From an ACTUAL lawyer.

teezzy

Banned
I have no idea what's going in this thread and know next to nothing about Doctor Disrespect

HOWEVER, I just gotta ask, was Patrick Klepek always this such a weenie? I remember him being kinda cool during his GB tenure. Maybe rose tinted glasses. Good riddance though

UnNamed

Banned
This situation is absurd. It's obvious Dr Disrespect knows why he was banned.
He had a multimillion contract with them, he can sue them for other fantasymillion dollars if really Twitch has cut the contract with no reason.
Instead he claim it's a bad situation but he hope he can go on. Bullshit.

yurinka

ye its def legal stuff behind the scenes. "big competitor" was due to them making acquisition moves I wouldnt look much into it there isnt that many streaming platforms. mixer was in the ballpark of facebooks numbers based on last years stats. but they both shy in comparison to youtube gaming. honestly doc would be fine going anywhere something legal is preventing him. who knows.

"overall market share (9.3 billion streaming hours watched), eclipsing competitors such as Mixer (353 million hours watched), Facebook Gaming (356 million) and YouTube Gaming (2.7 billion). "

I don't know how big MrDisrespect and his friends are, but I assume that it may be a good idea if some of the biggest streamers and youtubers, who have a ton of money, would create their own video platform with a more streamer/youtuber friendly business model.

Consider also that there are things like Spotify paying $100M to Joe Rogan to move his podcast there (including the current video version he posts on YouTube). So maybe Spotify is also hiring popular gaming video streamers

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Twitch throws millions at Logic... who has no guaranteed Twitch following.

People still believing the "Well Mixer, who had a whopping 1% market share closed, so Twitch has no reason for exclusive contracts" theory?

Banned

Twitch throws millions at Logic... who has no guaranteed Twitch following.

People still believing the "Well Mixer, who had a whopping 1% market share closed, so Twitch has no reason for exclusive contracts" theory?

I think the more likely scenario is that they wanted to get rid of him because he can be controversial, so they searched through his past stream VODs to find something they can ban him for.

and he is now most likely trying to get his money from them by suing them.

that's why his lawyers and Twitch's lawyer tell their respective party to stay silent

IntentionalPun

I think the more likely scenario is that they wanted to get rid of him because he can be controversial, so they searched through his past stream VODs to find something they can ban him for.

and he is now most likely trying to get his money from them by suing them.

that's why his lawyers and Twitch's lawyer tell their respective party to stay silent
Possible.

There is no lawsuit though, at least not yet.. or we'd know about it. I don't know why people were claiming in his interview he said he was planning on suing IGN, I can't find where he said that at all.

And what makes you think he'd win and get money in the first place?

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned

The comments about this video showing him rising like the titanic or some nonsense are really confusing, this is simply a video he made hosted on his own channel, how does this show a victory for him? He was never kicked off of youtube... or was he?

People are wondering why neither party is talking, the thing is, this is all great publicity for both parties, the whole "no such thing as bad press" both brands are getting a ridiculous amount of air time right now.

IntentionalPun

bet if thiis thread hits 50 pages he will be back and on fire on YT gaming
I think he's gonna come back somewhere soon.. but I also don't think we've heard the end of whatever caused the Twitch ban.

I don't buy this idea that they dumped a cash cow for some minor offense just to get rid of him.. that makes no sense, he's far more lucrative than he is controversial... I mean he's sponsored by tons of big brands and none of them dropped him for any of his conspiracy theory nonsense, why would Twitch? It's something major that we'll find out about some day, whether it effects his ability to work elsewhere is the question, but that question isn't answered by him returning in the meantime.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
I think he's gonna come back somewhere soon.. but I also don't think we've heard the end of whatever caused the Twitch ban.

I don't buy this idea that they dumped a cash cow for some minor offense just to get rid of him.. that makes no sense, he's far more lucrative than he is controversial... I mean he's sponsored by tons of big brands and none of them dropped him for any of his conspiracy theory nonsense, why would Twitch? It's something major that we'll find out about some day, whether it effects his ability to work elsewhere is the question, but that question isn't answered by him returning in the meantime.

How about they think there’s a major metoo bomb coming, try to get out ahead of it, but it turned out to be false and they shot their wad early?

Top Bottom