• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Navid

8 out of 10 races this shit is happening, custom lobby this year maybe Evo?
If you are referring to the crash near the start of the video then to be honest that was as much your fault as those who were next to you, every corner isn't a passing opportunity and 3 abreast going into a tight right left is never going to work... Great recovery drive though. :)

Though I find that's a major issue with most online races in driving games and not something unique to Driveclub, people in too much of a rush to make up as many places as possible straight of the start. I fully agree though, a custom/private lobby system can't come soon enough.

Edit: This isn't a comment on the video but it seems not many people understand the idea of teams in Driveclub races unfortunately, the amount of times I've seen 2-3 people from the same team squabbling for positions and slowing/taking each other down/out is pretty surprising.

If you are referring to the crash near the start of the video then to be honest that was as much your fault as those who were next to you, every corner isn't a passing opportunity and 3 abreast going into a tight right left is never going to work... Great recovery drive though. :)

Though I find that's a major issue with most online races in driving games and not something unique to Driveclub, people in too much of a rush to make up as many places as possible straight of the start. I fully agree though, a custom/private lobby system can't come soon enough.

Edit: This isn't a comment on the video but it seems not many people understand the idea of teams in Driveclub races unfortunately, the amount of times I've seen 2-3 people from the same team squabbling for positions and slowing/taking each other down/out is pretty surprising.

I agree on the vid, I've seen far more deliberate blocking / ramming used online than the crash in the vid.

Regarding the team event thing, people don't play the game like CoD or BF, they aren't thinking about the team win just their own finishing position - maybe if Evo put in more of incentive for the winning team then people would drive in a more considered way around their team mates but I doubt it. I think the only way it'll really work is if actual clubs make up the two teams, people are probably less keen to piss off a club mate than a random stranger.

I agree . So fari haven't played a single team race online where the team were playing like a team. this is highly disapointing maybe with lobbies were you can do a club vs club team race , this will be better ( private matches ) so we can set -up events we like .

This is my next requested feature

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Sadly, that's how a lot of racing games are online, unless you are racing with friends. It's a race, not a fucking demo derby.

Cat and Mouse would be a nice mode added to team racing though.

Sadly, that's how a lot of racing games are online, unless you are racing with friends. It's a race, not a fucking demo derby.

Cat and Mouse would be a nice mode added to team racing though.

Surprisingly I have had a few races where the majority of the players didn't try and take people out and they could actually drive. I was impressed and I came third and second. Otherwise every other race is the typical fare and easy to win by almost ten seconds every time.

I'm catching up on Top Gear on Netflix and it's feels like Driveclub cars are straight out of there.
Pretty sure I saw that X-bow in one episode not long ago. Really like this!

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
I can't wait till private lobbies. Unless it's a team race, the max capacity of players should be 6 per lobby. In a team race then yes, 12 is ideal. 6 players allows enough separation while keeping the start lead (1st to last) close enough.

Despite still being able to beat the AI (LEGENDARY) with 12 racers on the track by 3sec or more on average, I feel like when I set the max capacity to 6 racers the disadvantage is greatly reduced. Less bump and grind, and less distance to cover for first.

It feels perfect when I get put into multiplayer lobbies with 6 players.

Denur

Tell me your secret :) This is my last star, too :)
A few tips: Brake early enough to hit the apexes. Just before you hit the brake, steer towards into the corner to induce a little bit of over steer. Avoid wheel spin and tire screech as much as possible, as these are indications that you are losing speed. Try to stay on the tarmac with at least two wheels, in order to maintain grip. But again, most importantly, hit those apexes.

On previous page I already posted this video, maybe it helps. http://youtu.be/Lk3Hv14s1HE

I can't wait till private lobbies. Unless it's a team race, the max capacity of players should be 6 per lobby. In a team race then yes, 12 is ideal. 6 players allows enough separation while keeping the start lead (1st to last) close enough.

Despite still being able to beat the AI (LEGENDARY) with 12 racers on the track by 3sec or more on average, I feel like when I set the max capacity to 6 racers the disadvantage is greatly reduced. Less bump and grind, and less distance to cover for first.

It feels perfect when I get put into multiplayer lobbies with 6 players.

Yeah I don't feel there's much benefit from having 12 cars on the grid - if you start at the back then you need a fair bit of luck to get through the pack unscathed to have a crack at the lead - if the guy at the front gets a clean getaway and knows what he's doing it's unlikely that you're going to get past all the cars in between without losing too much time to reel him in. It's very rare that a full 12 cars finish a race too, or even stay on the server that long, most 12 player races are down to 7-8 guys at the end as so many rage quit if it isn't going their way.

hallohering

Neo Member
A few tips: Brake early enough to hit the apexes. Just before you hit the brake, steer towards into the corner to induce a little bit of over steer. Avoid wheel spin and tire screech as much as possible, as these are indications that you are losing speed. Try to stay on the tarmac with at least two wheels, in order to maintain grip. But again, most importantly, hit those apexes.

On previous page I already posted this video, maybe it helps. http://youtu.be/Lk3Hv14s1HE

Wow, just wow. Thanks for the description and video.

Hadn't tried much multiplayer since the patch, been pre-occupied with Photo Mode but just had a fair few races and whilst it is still possible to be spun-out it happens hardly ever now and it is so much nicer to be able to take half-chances knowing if it doesn't work out you're going to spin the other guy out and on the flip side being bale to drive ultra defensively knowing you won't get spun out yourself.

Tommi84

discover that challenges still not work, right?
Challenges are STILL not working. MIA. Gone forever, etc.

I wouldn't say that servers works flawlessly either. After 3 races I'm always presented with 'loading icon' and I have to disconnect from multi. In addition to that, i had 4 disconnections of players during the exact beginning of the race.Don't think it's a coincidence.

Challenges are STILL not working. MIA. Gone forever, etc.

I wouldn't say that servers works flawlessly either. After 3 races I'm always presented with 'loading icon' and I have to disconnect from multi. In addition to that, i had 4 disconnections of players during the exact beginning of the race.Don't think it's a coincidence.

They are working far from flawlessly for me. I get disconnected a lot during MP. I actually wrote an article on the current state of the game where I go over some of the existing online issues.

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
Ive never gotten so many games without disconnection until today. Literally 15/15 no disconnect. And that was during Euro busy hours. I'll try again later tonight during Merica busy hours. They have been doing a lot of internal server updates. It's effecting players differently, probably for me, my connection to the servers are finally 100%.

As they keep upgrading the servers, more players will be able to connect. As for challenges, it won't be up and running until you start seeing everyone in here talking about how they hardly ever disconnect. And when Evo runs diagnosis and see that 100% of the people are connecting properly.

As stated by Evo, THE PS+ version and private lobbies will come shortly after all the connection issues are resolved.

I'm in America, which I'm starting to think makes a difference in regards to the connection. I'll try it later today to see if it's any better though.

Servers works moderately well for me, about the same as the last couple of weeks. I connect to most races on first try but get disconnected after a few races. I'm super happy about them fixing the physics to make cars spin out way less; pretty much only happens to me when I hit a wall at an unfortunate angle.

The more I play the less I enjoy the penalties though, and while I undertand why they're implemented, at this point it feels so arbritrary and frustrating this that it definitely dampens my enjoyment of it to a certain extent. Especially trying to take corners properly and suddenly the car in front slams the brakes and you get stuck with not being able to accelerate for 3-5 seconds. And that fucking patch of grass on Nilgiri Hills :(

I'm not ashamed to say that i didn't get even one disconnect since the last patch.
There is just that slight moment where my online profile is not loaded on startup but that's it.

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
I'm not ashamed to say that i didn't get even one disconnect since the last patch.
There is just that slight moment where my online profile is not loaded on startup but that's it.

See... I think the server updates are working differently base on players connection. Probably it just got to me and it's working fine now. Just yesterday I was getting 9/15 races working. This morning 15/15 and now 6pm EST I haven't gotten disconnected at all.

Just like everyone by now should be able to load up their profile immediately from the start of the game (unless the servers are updating at the moment), the multiplayer matchmaking is working consistently today for me.

Shaneus

This "last patch"... how long has it been out for? I know with the last one I received one or two disconnects, but nothing vastly irritating. I think that was 1.07.

GodofWine

I'd like to see corner penalties evaporate into the air as well, and have the track dictate the penalties through design. Ie, this corner you can cut a bit, but if you go to far into the grass there is a rock/mud/people/etc that impede you.

Lol at the moron above updating us on the fact he isn't buying the game...Forza forever bro!! :/

Number45

I'd like to see corner penalties evaporate into the air as well, and have the track dictate the penalties through design. Ie, this corner you can cut a bit, but if you go to far into the grass there is a rock/mud/people/etc that impede you.
The corner cuttings penalties are extra annoying when you realise that on some corners it's REALLY hard to do it quicker than bouncing off of the outside railings. I had to turn ghost opacity to 0% for rage reduction.

kyser73

Don't forget guys, patches aren't just applied at the client end. There may be server patches you're unaware of that are helping to improve things.

Can I also take this post to bathe in a healthy shower of schadenfreude about the MCC? Especially since the latest announcement says the matchmaking issue won't be solved 'for weeks' and how they 'didn't experience these problems in internal testing'.

This is 343, on XBOX no less. Not some bunch of monkeys from the UK working on Sony's shitty PSN servers. No.

Yes, yes I can and I will.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Kumubou

Don't forget guys, patches aren't just applied at the client end. There may be server patches you're unaware of that are helping to improve things.

Can I also take this post to bathe in a healthy shower of schadenfreude about the MCC? Especially since the latest announcement says the matchmaking issue won't be solved 'for weeks' and how they 'didn't experience these problems in internal testing'.

This is 343, on XBOX no less. Not some bunch of monkeys from the UK working on Sony's shitty PSN servers. No.

You really shouldn't, though. All it does is show that... large scale real-time networking services are hard?

I think the big issue here is that developers and publishers try to push the advantages of Games as a Service while still trying to keep the "fire and forget" retail model, so they can reap all of the rewards of an engaged (and continuously paying, in a lot of instances) audience while having to commit the minimum possible resources. It's pretty clear that we've gotten to the point where this really isn't feasible.

kyser73

You really shouldn't, though. All it does is show that... large scale real-time networking services are hard?

I think the big issue here is that developers and publishers try to push the advantages of Games as a Service while still trying to keep the "fire and forget" retail model, so they can reap all of the rewards of an engaged (and continuously paying, in a lot of instances) audience while having to commit the minimum possible resources. It's pretty clear that we've gotten to the point where this really isn't feasible.

As someone who repeatedly defended Evo and the issues they experienced, and as someone who deals with similar problems (albeit on a smaller scale as out company network is widely distributed but only has about 300 users) every day, I fully understand both the 'You can't test for everything' statements and the general issues associated with the kinds of network services being attempted.

It was more along the lines of 'Loads of Xboners piled in to trash DC, and loads of people blamed Evo's 'inexperience' and 'lack of testing' for the online issues it has, and now it's happened to the big remaster release of the no 1 Xbox franchise.

Your second paragraph is probably the most sensible thing I've seen written about GaaS on here, and you should probably make a thread out of it.

Shaneus

As much as systemwars etc., I'm somewhat relieved that it's now a problem on both "sides" and no one first-party launch can lay claim to having undercooked online services. Goes to show, I guess.

benzy

As someone who repeatedly defended Evo and the issues they experienced, and as someone who deals with similar problems (albeit on a smaller scale as out company network is widely distributed but only has about 300 users) every day, I fully understand both the 'You can't test for everything' statements and the general issues associated with the kinds of network services being attempted.

It was more along the lines of 'Loads of Xboners piled in to trash DC, and loads of people blamed Evo's 'inexperience' and 'lack of testing' for the online issues it has, and now it's happened to the big remaster release of the no 1 Xbox franchise.

And to think some of those people were calling for Evo to be shut down and people getting fired from their jobs, or how one guy felt so entitled that Evo give out free compensation even though from his post history he never even plans on getting the game. :p What's MS and 343 giving away for the online issues?

kyser73

And to think some of those people were calling for Evo to be shut down and people getting fired from their jobs, or how one guy felt so entitled that Evo give out free compensation even though from his post history he never even plans on getting the game. :p What's MS and 343 giving away for the online issues?

They'll be 'looking after our fans once the issues are resolved.'.

I know its all a bit systemwarsy, and I normally wouldn't make that kind of post, but sometimes you gotta vent in a safe place not many people will see it.

DC OT2 seemed like a good bet ;)

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
I personally think it's the new hardwares. A lot of matchmaking server issues have been plaguing this next gen. COD Advance Wafare, DriveClub, MCC, Farcry 4, Battlefield...

Idk... But karma is so sweet. Kind of taste like honey.

benzy

They'll be 'looking after our fans once the issues are resolved.'.

That's cool. Wonder what it could be.

I know its all a bit systemwarsy, and I normally wouldn't make that kind of post, but sometimes you gotta vent in a safe place not many people will see it.

DC OT2 seemed like a good bet ;)

Yeah, seems a bit dead around here. With GTAV, ACU, Dragon's Age just released I'm not surprised. I still haven't resubscribed to PS Plus so I haven't been online since a few weeks though. I'm guessing the DLC cars should be up in a few hours and it'll liven up the place for a few days.

See... I think the server updates are working differently base on players connection. Probably it just got to me and it's working fine now. Just yesterday I was getting 9/15 races working. This morning 15/15 and now 6pm EST I haven't gotten disconnected at all.

Just like everyone by now should be able to load up their profile immediately from the start of the game (unless the servers are updating at the moment), the multiplayer matchmaking is working consistently today for me.

I was able to get 2 out of 3 and 4 out of 5 working. That's better than it was. Not where I'd like it to be obviously but, it's getting there. I still won't agree that they're working flawlessly though. ;)

After that is fixed, I'd like to see them get rid of the corner penalty and find a way to make lobbies sync faster. Private lobbies too.

Hopefully once the PS+ version is out my friends will check out the game and pick it up so I have some people to race with who are also shitty racers like myself.

Top Bottom