• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

In this case it would have been coincidence to see it for the first time and more than once only after the update (garage excl.) . Maybe. Maybe not. *need ... to do... more research*
It could be a regression, I thought it had been sorted previously in garage but it happens still.

I did PM Rushy with a couple of bugs I noticed though, most annoying of which is not remembering your usual camera view.

krioto

So Wester Ross is now my favourite Scotland track - love the high-speed curves and the winding run back up the hill - fantastic.

Also, connectivity and online racing has been so smooth - things are looking up!

Loudninja

So Wester Ross is now my favourite Scotland track - love the high-speed curves and the winding run back up the hill - fantastic.

Also, connectivity and online racing has been so smooth - things are looking up!
Yeah the new tracks are pretty awesome.

Number45

I'm pretty sure the load times have improved with this patch (and they weren't exactly a slouch before). Loving the game, and really starting to get to grips with the wheel. ^_^

GodofWine

It is so disheartening how much fun other humans manage to rip from this game by driving like assholes.

No one can just admit that they are being passed, ever...

It is so disheartening how much fun other humans manage to rip from this game by driving like assholes.

No one can just admit that they are being passed, ever...

I was in a team race this afternoon and some guy is my team was actively preventing us ( his teamates ) from racing properly , we couldn't compete he was pushing us, ramming into usall because he wanted to be in front.

This is baffling the game scoring even discourage that .
I'd rather race as clean as possible to get perfect section bonuses than to race like a prick , get collisions penalities just to get a "position gained" +500 bonus.

Nyx

Online indeed works better, but last night one of two mates never got the ''join event'' message when the sessionleader joined an event.

I got the message everytime and we could race with the 2 of us, but the 3rd friend never could...

Online indeed works better, but last night one of two mates never got the ''join event'' message when the sessionleader joined an event.

I got the message everytime and we could race with the 2 of us, but the 3rd friend never could...

If this happens he can still join the rest of you by manually selecting the right race on the selection screen and joining (a green tick will appear on the track graphic that the rest of the party is in) - I didn't get the invite a few times last night and this method worked fine.

Tried some online on the new tracks yesterday, and it seems like spin outs have been reduced drastically. Honestly, I got spun out at least once probably every other race before, but not once after the new patch. People still tried but I think this will mitigate some of the destructive strategies once everyone figures out that it's not at all as easy to spin someone out. Very pleased with this change.

The new tracks are beautiful, the India and Scotland tracks are very well balanced and a lot of fun. All of them look absolutely gorgeous as well.

GodofWine

. People still tried but I think this will mitigate some of the destructive strategies once everyone figures out that it's not at all as easy to spin someone out. Very pleased with this change.

The new tracks are beautiful, the India and Scotland tracks are very well balanced and a lot of fun. All of them look absolutely gorgeous as well.

Now people just bulldoze you into the wall (if lucky) or a rock/fence post that stops you dead.

Tracks are quite good though.

I was able to get one of those people who just rides your bumper and shoves you out of the way to back off by"brake checking" them and they rammed me and got a collision penalty and I just sped away(which while satisfying can probably be abused)

Just had to pop in and say how much I love the new courses, especially the one in Scotland. All in all, they seem to all be high speed courses with not a ton of sharp turns, especially Scotland's. (Or am I just imagining that?) Keep 'em coming, Evo!

My dream would be the equivalent of long point-to-points that loop. I'd drive that stuff all day.

In fact, it is those looping middle tracks in each environment that I tend to just drive and drive and drive, honing each corner for kicks. The point to points are great, and definitely the star of the show here - but there's less rhythm there in ending and restarting - even with the insanely short loading times. That's a nitpick though. I do love them point to points.

Now people just bulldoze you into the wall (if lucky) or a rock/fence post that stops you dead.

Tracks are quite good though.

I was able to get one of those people who just rides your bumper and shoves you out of the way to back off by"brake checking" them and they rammed me and got a collision penalty and I just sped away(which while satisfying can probably be abused)

Sometimes I ride right on people but, I don't push them out of the way unless they make a mistake in front of me and I have no time to avoid it. During those times I usually don't have the speed to pass yet and don't want to break the draft (to build up the speed) so I drive close. Once I can get past I do though, without hitting anyone preferably. I would rather ride on their ass then swing past them than go side by side and eventually fall back and draft anyways.

I also am very, very average at the game so contact is unavoidable for me sometimes.

herod

I'm starting to really hate this game as I progress through it. The handling is just... crap. It feels faked, the braking zones are far too late, the AI is not driving in the same physics world that you are - racing lines go out of the window when you're up against the AI, they can brake later than you but drive too slowly through the corners. Weight transfer in chicanes in the hyper cars is more like my old Peugeot 406 than a responsive supercar with racing suspension should be.

Graphically, the HDR/dynamic exposure effect is so massively overdone it is almost unplayable on my plasma without whacking the brightness right up (yes, my display is calibrated). Some tracks with bright dusk skies veer from near unrecognisable dark grey on black to super light grey within corners of each other due to the dynamic exposure adjusting for hills and clouds. Also, I feel that there are too many night races, I don't care if it shows off the fancy lighting model, enough is enough. The day/night transition races are cheesy and ultimately too numerous and just end up annoying.

The rubberband AI is depressing. I find I can have a close race where I get pipped on the line without making a significant mistake, and then in another race I can fuck up at the start, end up pointing the wrong way around and still come back to win, a good 10-15 seconds slower overall than my previous clean attempt. I'm a proponent of mild rubberbanding, I think it's an important part of an arcade racer, but this is punishingly shitty. Racing games shouldn't end up being about timing your run to win on the last lap, even MotorStorm was more subtle than this. The best events are the ones with no AI opponents, like the good old days of the WRC games on PS2.

Ultimately, it's just not as fun as previous Evolution games. I think they've been getting progressively worse since WRC4 and this is a new low, and I'm saying this as a guy with no interest in the online side of things either. It saddens me, because it's a hairs breadth away from being the next PGR2; technically it has the right ingredients, but ultimately there are too many poor gameplay decisions holding it back. None of them are beyond fixing, but I can't see it happening.

Still waiting for the first decent next-gen racer.

Auctopus

If this is the quality of the new tracks, I cannot wait for more.

Looking forward to Japan and hoping the second country is USA, maybe somewhere in Southern Europe.

Hugstable

Banned
Ok i've played 2 hours and i haven't seen a bugued face-off
And i hadn't any driveclub "server issue" during those face off either .

And it loaded very fast ...

That's ...very good ..

That sounds great at least, gonna check it out now, got alot of games on my plate to get to invested again, but it's awesome to hear that the game is running much better for the faceoffs for when I do come back to it.

Also EVO or Rushy if you read this OT, please put the season pass on discount for 20-50% for those of us who bought in early and dealt with the issues and I'll buy that shit right up. Definitely don't think I would pay full price for it, but even a small discount to the Season Pass and I would would be down to pick it up.

iFootball

I'm starting to really hate this game as I progress through it. The handling is just... crap. It feels faked,
Graphically, the HDR/dynamic exposure effect is so massively overdone it is almost unplayable
Also, I feel that there are too many night races, I don't care if it shows off the fancy lighting model, enough is enough. The day/night transition races are cheesy and ultimately too numerous and just end up annoying.
The rubberband AI is depressing... even MotorStorm was more subtle than this
Ultimately, it's just not as fun as previous Evolution games

There are so many points I disagree with you that I don't even know where to start...

I'm really surprised by your observations/opinions, and I don't mean to pick on you but... it's just that so many people see it completely the other way... lets agree to disagree I supose

Shaneus

My dream would be the equivalent of long point-to-points that loop. I'd drive that stuff all day.

In fact, it is those looping middle tracks in each environment that I tend to just drive and drive and drive, honing each corner for kicks. The point to points are great, and definitely the star of the show here - but there's less rhythm there in ending and restarting - even with the insanely short loading times. That's a nitpick though. I do love them point to points.
Remember the three or four point-to-point races in FM3 (I think) in Japan that had been linked up to form one ridiculously massive loop? Yeah, that thanks.

Remember the three or four point-to-point races in FM3 (I think) in Japan that had been linked up to form one ridiculously massive loop? Yeah, that thanks.
Funny you should say that, as I got micro Fujimi Kaido vibes when taking those wide downhill hairpins in Yedapalli.

Shaneus

Oh man. When racing for speed and time and whatever I always go for bumper, but when I want to get immersed in the thing I just grab the headphones (connected to a Turtle Beach Dolby Digital Headphone thingy) and jump into in-car mode. Bumper just doesn't work with headphones and in-car doesn't sound as good on home theatre speakers. But man, what an experience.

Driving the 4C around the new Scotland track was just bliss. I was initially bummed about only getting one new location and more tracks at the same locations, but if that's the quality we're getting... bring them the fuck on. Elevation changes in driving/racing games has been sorely missed since the days of PGR (particularly Quebec).

Hugstable

Banned
The new DLC isn't usable yet? Saw a space for it in the main game, but couldn't play them yet.

Also I thought they were supposed to make the corner penalties not as bad or harder to activate, but it's still pretty bad. Just tried a Hyper Car race, and barely touching the side or the dirt sets off a long ass penalty

The new DLC isn't usable yet? Saw a space for it in the main game, but couldn't play them yet.

Also I thought they were supposed to make the corner penalties not as bad or harder to activate, but it's still pretty bad. Just tried a Hyper Car race, and barely touching the side or the dirt sets off a long ass penalty
They didn't actually say how it was changed did they? What track and corner?

I'm starting to really hate this game as I progress through it. The handling is just... crap. It feels faked, the braking zones are far too late, the AI is not driving in the same physics world that you are - racing lines go out of the window when you're up against the AI, they can brake later than you but drive too slowly through the corners. Weight transfer in chicanes in the hyper cars is more like my old Peugeot 406 than a responsive supercar with racing suspension should be.

Graphically, the HDR/dynamic exposure effect is so massively overdone it is almost unplayable on my plasma without whacking the brightness right up (yes, my display is calibrated). Some tracks with bright dusk skies veer from near unrecognisable dark grey on black to super light grey within corners of each other due to the dynamic exposure adjusting for hills and clouds. Also, I feel that there are too many night races, I don't care if it shows off the fancy lighting model, enough is enough. The day/night transition races are cheesy and ultimately too numerous and just end up annoying.

The rubberband AI is depressing. I find I can have a close race where I get pipped on the line without making a significant mistake, and then in another race I can fuck up at the start, end up pointing the wrong way around and still come back to win, a good 10-15 seconds slower overall than my previous clean attempt. I'm a proponent of mild rubberbanding, I think it's an important part of an arcade racer, but this is punishingly shitty. Racing games shouldn't end up being about timing your run to win on the last lap, even MotorStorm was more subtle than this. The best events are the ones with no AI opponents, like the good old days of the WRC games on PS2.

Ultimately, it's just not as fun as previous Evolution games. I think they've been getting progressively worse since WRC4 and this is a new low, and I'm saying this as a guy with no interest in the online side of things either. It saddens me, because it's a hairs breadth away from being the next PGR2; technically it has the right ingredients, but ultimately there are too many poor gameplay decisions holding it back. None of them are beyond fixing, but I can't see it happening.

Your personal opinions aside, there is no rubberbanding that you describe. The only rubberbanding, I don't consider it to be rubberbanding but some do, is that the AI will artificially slow down if you're going slow. But they can't go faster than you can.

Remember slipstreaming/drafting is in play and couple this with even just a couple of extra MPH through a corner can give you big advantages.

Shaneus

That, and the AI is really great and rarely makes mistakes. Watch any kind of race IRL, if someone makes a tiny mistake then often they'll get overtaken by a decent number of cars. Hell, even just looking at time trials of things like WRC... take a corner wrong that makes you lose .200 of a second, you might drop three places by the time you've finished.

There are so many points I disagree with you that I don't even know where to start...

I'm really surprised by your observations/opinions, and I don't mean to pick on you but... it's just that so many people see it completely the other way... lets agree to disagree I supose

The day night transitions are shit tho, compared to say gt5 or project cars, there way too abrubt. I disagree with his other points.

Session creation broken right now? I'm in a party of zero, not even me so I can't join any events.
I just had a weird bug similar to this too - it was saying I wasn't the party leader yet the other guy in my party wasn't even online and I couldn't kick him or leave the session (despite those options being available). Restarting the game had no effect so I'm guessing the problem was server side. I couldn't play anything online, just did time trials instead.

iFootball

The day night transitions are shit tho, compared to say gt5 or project cars, there way too abrubt. I disagree with his other points.
Well, it really depends on how the event is configured right?... if time is set to "45x" or "60x" it will definitely look unrealistic, but the default option looks quite good IMO

Well, it really depends on how the event is configured right?... if time is set to "45x" or "60x" it will definitely look unrealistic, but the default option looks quite good IMO

Nah even at default its jarring it goes from light to dark in like 30 secs max, play gt5 especially to see a better implementation.

dano1

A Sheep

You obviously don't know much about this game..
Day to night is adjustable. And how could you compare a game that isn't out yet. (And early reports project cars needs lots of work!)

Shaneus

Plus, I'm pretty sure at "default" it's 30x time compression. Sunsets rarely last more than a few minutes so a sunset in-game would last maybe 10 seconds?

dano1

A Sheep

Well Mario Kart just got some new tracks...

You obviously don't know much about this game..
Day to night is adjustable. And how could you compare a game that isn't out yet. (And early reports project cars needs lots of work!)

Im in the project cars beta, yes theres still plenty to do, but day/night is not one of them (that needs work- its already awesome)

I like this game a lot, all im saying is the day/night transition is definitely not its crowning achievement

Tho i will add im disappointed i have never been able to get an online match afternoon aus time, not once, ruling out that whole side of the game for me.

GodofWine

I wonder if registration for multiplayer racing allows you to register for full events, causing so many of the"no results found" errors.

Races should have the timer AND a player count showing on the registration screen, the only thing that makes it go to the race is the timer, even if it's a full lobby immediately, you still have to wait, but registration remains open...cause I can't get into anything right now

Top Bottom