• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

QaaQer

I'm starting to really hate this game as I progress through it. The handling is just... crap. It feels faked, the braking zones are far too late, the AI is not driving in the same physics world that you are - racing lines go out of the window when you're up against the AI, they can brake later than you but drive too slowly through the corners. Weight transfer in chicanes in the hyper cars is more like my old Peugeot 406 than a responsive supercar with racing suspension should be.

Graphically, the HDR/dynamic exposure effect is so massively overdone it is almost unplayable on my plasma without whacking the brightness right up (yes, my display is calibrated). Some tracks with bright dusk skies veer from near unrecognisable dark grey on black to super light grey within corners of each other due to the dynamic exposure adjusting for hills and clouds. Also, I feel that there are too many night races, I don't care if it shows off the fancy lighting model, enough is enough. The day/night transition races are cheesy and ultimately too numerous and just end up annoying.

The rubberband AI is depressing. I find I can have a close race where I get pipped on the line without making a significant mistake, and then in another race I can fuck up at the start, end up pointing the wrong way around and still come back to win, a good 10-15 seconds slower overall than my previous clean attempt. I'm a proponent of mild rubberbanding, I think it's an important part of an arcade racer, but this is punishingly shitty. Racing games shouldn't end up being about timing your run to win on the last lap, even MotorStorm was more subtle than this. The best events are the ones with no AI opponents, like the good old days of the WRC games on PS2.

Ultimately, it's just not as fun as previous Evolution games. I think they've been getting progressively worse since WRC4 and this is a new low, and I'm saying this as a guy with no interest in the online side of things either. It saddens me, because it's a hairs breadth away from being the next PGR2; technically it has the right ingredients, but ultimately there are too many poor gameplay decisions holding it back. None of them are beyond fixing, but I can't see it happening.

Still waiting for the first decent next-gen racer.

A little harsh, but some valid complaints. The artificiality is sometimes visible because of inconsistency, and that ruins things by turning challenge into frustration.

But it also happens on hot laps, just later in the game. The penultimate is the Venom hotlap. A car that has massive understeer instantly snaps into massive oversteer, corners that have different grip for no reason, different penalty zones, etc. The physics aren't consistent, and it is only done to make it artificially hard. In short, too frustrating to be fun and it leaves a bad taste because it is last part of the game I played.

The lighting complaint is also valid. There were a few times it was hard to make out things and I had to mess with my tv settings.

Still a very good game, and aside from Borderlands2, my most played game this year but I'm done.

Edit: & when you say "waiting for the first decent next gen racer", I take it you've played the two Forza games? How do they compare?

Your personal opinions aside, there is no rubberbanding that you describe. The only rubberbanding, I don't consider it to be rubberbanding but some do, is that the AI will artificially slow down if you're going slow. But they can't go faster than you can.

They can. Usually there is one or two cars that speed up un-naturally so that the last lap is intense. It is just hidden rubberbanding and it is cool until it is seen, then frustrating. The best bet is just to drive clean and be in first until the last lap, then drive that lap aggro.

But it also happens on hot laps, just later in the game. The penultimate is the Venom hotlap. A car that has massive understeer instantly snaps into massive oversteer, corners that have different grip for no reason, different penalty zones, etc. The physics aren't consistent, and it is only done to make it artificially hard. In short, too frustrating to be fun and it leaves a bad taste because it is last part of the game I played.

The car is a beast (quickest in the game) and getting all three stars is a real challenge but I don't feel that it is unfair - many people on here have achieved it after putting the laps in. Real life race circuits have differing levels of grip too, it's all part of learning the circuit. I very much doubt the physics aren't consistent to make things artificially hard, that wasn't my experience of completing the challenge.

I think the worst you can accuse Evo of is an uneven difficulty curve but this is the penultimate event and the final time trial. Whether you find it fun or not probably depends on how much you like driving the same track repeatedly to shave that little bit more time off - personally I like that and try to do the same with the online leaderboards on several tracks.

Learning to get around the track with the venom improves you as a driver on this track for certain, I always look forward to racing it online when it comes up.

Vaga

Hyperbole at its finest, didn't want to waste my time to respond but for your information there is no rubberbanding in the game (as acknowledged by the devs). Just like in GT games the slipstreaming gives a pretty big advantage, imo it should be toned down a little.

To me all this sounds as "I'm so frustrated that I can't get good". How many laps did you complete? What is your best time? You do realize a lot of people completed the event in a few tries? And can score 1:14-1:15 easily?
You complain about a car that is twitchy and unpredictable but fail to realize it's the fastest and one of the hardest cars in the game to drive at full potential. You can't expect to just master it after half an hour of crashing it.

Driveclub just shared a video about the upcoming Ignition Expansion Pack on Facebook!

Here's a preview of some of the new cars coming to ‪#‎DRIVECLUB‬ in the Ignition expansion pack, which will be available from PlayStation®Store as a free download next week.
Thanks again for your support while we continue to improve server performance and get all of the online features running smoothly.
Please keep sharing your feedback about the game and updates with us and we'll keep you up to speed with new developments.

Driveclub - Ignition Expansion Pack

EDIT: Beaten

AndyD

aka andydumi
I see they've shared some screenshots from the photo mode thread on their FB page.

And most are from NeoGAF.

Man, the photomode thread will blow up once weather is released.

And cars look good. Real variety, but I hope we will get some more cars that are requested by fans, rather than the lesser known ones included there.

GodofWine

What a F* are those cars? LOL Thank god they are free

Two are in the BAC Mono and Ariel Atom car type, ones the most rare super car in the world, and ones an M4.

I'm not sure why you are loling :/

A race series with the atom, mono, caterham and KTM would be awesome

Jimrpg

I just did the pagani drift and got the third star. I'd say I still haven't mastered it properly, and on occasion hit the walls. Is it meant to be this hard? I feel like it's not worth the risk in a real race. Do you even go faster?

18 stars to go, finally getting there!

I just did the pagani drift and got the third star. I'd say I still haven't mastered it properly, and on occasion hit the walls. Is it meant to be this hard? I feel like it's not worth the risk in a real race. Do you even go faster?

Yep i'm taking it slow and progressing through the original campaign at a slow but steady pace , trying some course , improving my times and then i do something else. i do plan to get all stars , but given the nature of the game i figured it was stupid to try to get everything too fast

Two are in the BAC Mono and Ariel Atom car type, ones the most rare super car in the world, and ones an M4.

Aren't the 5 cars to add 1 to each class? I think the KTM might be a bit slower than the mono & atom so would be in the performance class instead.

Hugstable

Banned

I got like 20 more to go myself, basically working down the few stars in events I already did, still haven't gotten that third and final Venom Hot Lap Star :(

Aren't the 5 cars to add 1 to each class? I think the KTM might be a bit slower than the mono & atom so would be in the performance class instead.
Well, you can work it out from the cars they are racing against. I have DLC info, but it is dated. They match up except the Twin'Run, my info says Sports but it going up against Super!

Going by competing cars in the video...
W Motors Lykan -> Hyper
Caterham SP/300.R -> Super
KTM X-Bow R -> Super
BMW M4 -> Performance
Renault Twin'Run -> Super

Vaga

Did anyone else noticed they reset the leaderboards? Had over 50 no.1 times and they're all gone save for a few I set post-patch.

Are they fucking serious?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Did anyone else noticed they reset the leaderboards? Had over 50 no.1 times and they're all gone save for a few I set post-patch.

I am not surprised considering they tweaked the handling and whatnot. Plus there were so many glitched times set up there. Many tracks had records 30-60 seconds ahead of where they should be. Some were even sub 10 seconds for a 2 minute track.

It's really the only way to ensure that challenges are correct and competitive. How can you beat a glitched 89098790 mph record?

Not played tonight, but I played last night and my times were still there, including some top 10 times.

Vaga

I am not surprised considering they tweaked the handling and whatnot. Plus there were so many glitched times set up there. Many tracks had records 30-60 seconds ahead of where they should be. Some were even sub 10 seconds for a 2 minute track.

It's really the only way to ensure that challenges are correct and competitive. How can you beat a glitched 89098790 mph record?

Those times were showing up in the wrong track&car category, one day they would show up the next day they would dissapear and so on. Oh and that penalty system correction they added in the patch? Guess what? It's more lenient now, you can cut corners even further allowing for even faster times. How stupid can they get? I swear it won't be long till they'll adjust the penalties and reset the whole leaderboards again.

Well fuck Evo for this. Seriously. There goes wasted hours. They could at least warn us before, they didn't even announce this. Fuckin pricks.

Not played tonight, but I played last night and my times were still there, including some top 10 times.

It happened a few hours ago.

It happened a few hours ago.
Yeah just booted it up out of curiousity, only 32 times with the P1 on the Norway road circuit with the glacier - that was my highest position before.

Might just be a data issue... hopefully they can confirm. I wouldn't expect a reset even if they did change handling.

gl0w

Seriously?

That Caterham will fit my desire for a Radical in this title nicely. That and the KTM are awesome additions!

I guess I was expecting some very well know cars, and better variety. I barely know those cars :/ just that..

Just put this on and it feels different.

Have they turned the handling down to a more arcade feel?

Have they also adjusted/reduced the impact of damage/spin out too?

ps. Anyone know how I save a ghost car and then replay it to try and be it. Perhaps then post it to a mate?

I think we will eventually get a GTR, Corvette, maybe some thing in the "muscle"category as well (challenger hell cat PLEASE)
Muscle is coming.

Just put this on and it feels different.

Have they turned the handling down to a more arcade feel?

Have they also adjusted/reduced the impact of damage/spin out too?

ps. Anyone know how I save a ghost car and then replay it to try and be it. Perhaps then post it to a mate?
Impact tuned yes to stop spin outs online. Not sure I noticed any changes other than that.

Your ghost saves every time you improve, when doing time trials your ghost will always be present (online and offline). Alongside your own ghost in time trials you also get the fastest time and the time ahead of you on the leaderboard. At the moment you cant send the time to a friend as this is the challenge system which is currently disabled.

Your ghost saves every time you improve, when doing time trials your ghost will always be present (online and offline). Alongside your own ghost in time trials you also get the fastest time and the time ahead of you on the leaderboard. At the moment you cant send the time to a friend as this is the challenge system which is currently disabled.

I've done a few time trials at the same time as a mate (while both in the same chat party) and often each other's ghosts would appear in the other persons game - I'm not sure if this is team or friends list related or simply that we were that close on the leaderboards but I think there is something more to it. You need to be using the same car for it to work tho.

Love how the sun reflects off the back lights.

DZRTGni.gif

Whb29

I really think Evo have been so unlucky with this, if it wasn't for the netcode this game would be revolutionary. Last night it clicked with me. I was doing time trials and the challenges were working, and they actually helped me improve my times. The racing line challenges helped me to perfect my lines, the average speed challenges helped me to work out how to get the fastest time on those sections. And at the same time I was constantly racing the next fastest ghost. When it works, it's fantastic. I have never been interested in the social aspect but now it works I think it's a great idea. And nothing like this has been done before. Add to that:

The matchmaking system, when working is faster than any other online game.
The damage system is incredible - the detail!
Fantastic sound
Beautifully designed tracks, so fun to race
The foilage is the best I've ever seen.
That lighting system is beautiful.

My only real bugbear (other than the servers) was the spinning out which they seem to have fixed. I was trying to think what I'd want in the next patch, and weather is the only thing I can think of!

Auctopus

I really wish there was a way to race at a frozen twilight lighting. Just as the sun rises or sets behind the mountains in India or Chile, that blue lighting is beautiful.

I really wish there was a way to race at a frozen twilight lighting. Just as the sun rises or sets behind the mountains in India or Chile, that blue lighting is beautiful.
Can you not do this by setting the time and the time multiplier (can't remember what this is called exactly but it's often x 15 or x 30) - setting it to x1 should work in single player events.

I really think Evo have been so unlucky with this, if it wasn't for the netcode this game would be revolutionary. Last night it clicked with me. I was doing time trials and the challenges were working, and they actually helped me improve my times. The racing line challenges helped me to perfect my lines, the average speed challenges helped me to work out how to get the fastest time on those sections. And at the same time I was constantly racing the next fastest ghost. When it works, it's fantastic. I have never been interested in the social aspect but now it works I think it's a great idea. And nothing like this has been done before. Add to that:

Fantastic sound
i3IhJezEb4Cla.gif

Hackbert

looking forward to race the caterham. if it handles still like in Grid Motorsport, i am happy. Is the twingo not one car out of the first class, with the hatchbacks?
i also like the look of the twingo. looks fun

looking forward to race the caterham. if it handles still like in Grid Motorsport, i am happy. Is the twingo not one car out of the first class, with the hatchbacks?
i also like the look of the twingo. looks fun
As I say earlier, with the DLC info I have which is from some time ago it was classified as Sports but in the DLC trailer it is going against Super cars. So it definitely isn't in the Hot Hatch category despite being a hatchback - neither is the A45 or M135i of course.

Going by it's specs, kind of surprised to see it going against the Super cars. Sports is probably the right home for it.

GodofWine

Game needs a "quick join" button, just put me in any race it can sync me into, the select an event screen is nice to look at but it would be better if it just dropped you into a vehicle selection/race over view screen.

Or just put you in lobbies where you vote for the next track our something.

I should be in a race 60 seconds after I hit the finish line, not spending equal time in and out of racing...and this will probably be the case once it's fixed but it just drives me to quit the game now.

Navid

The sooner they patch in a traditional lobby system with private rooms and hosts and such the better... I really enjoy the handling and gameplay but the current multiplayer setup is doing nothing for me in terms of making me want to spend time playing it.

First you have to wait for a few minutes to get into a event, and assuming you don't get a error you have to wait another min to sync with the other players before you get to actually select your car and get on track... then it seems a matter of luck whether it rolls you into the next race or spits you back out to the event selection screen.

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
I really don't understand those that say this game has rubber banding. Let's be honest, you're use to EASY racing games that put you in first place and keep you there from the first lap to the last. And to those that THINK this game has rubber banding I DARE you to put the difficulty to Legend in a single race event (10 laps). Oh and one more thing about that... Beat the AI by more than 5sec.

If you can't do it then chances are your not playing beyond that level. If you do then you'll realize there's no rubber banding

And the AI is perfect, people complain about the AI, but that's just a simulation of what you'll experience online. IMO The AI does a great job making the race feel REAL and not just againt dumb bots.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Fantastic sound

My only real bugbear (other than the servers) was the spinning out which they seem to have fixed. I was trying to think what I'd want in the next patch, and weather is the only thing I can think of!

It's one of my favorite games this year.

Shame about the netcode because everything else with the game is fantastic.

Denur

I went back to the Venom hot lap and was able shave off 1.2 seconds in just a few laps, while there is still plenty of room for improvement. Did the game get easier since the last update?

http://youtu.be/Lk3Hv14s1HE

By the way, this is my first PS4 YT upload and my first video posted here.

Error1355

I haven't played since the release week. After the servers were crap that entire time I figured I'd give it some time as I really loved how it looked. I just didn't want to put time into it while it was half-broken.

What has been overall done in the last month or so to clean it up? I see a 'photomode' topic here so I imagine that was added. Has it been more stable?

Top Bottom