• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

AndyD

aka andydumi
I disagree with that.. corner penalty is good and so is the intentionally collision one, although that one is more finicky

I also disagree. There's several spots where you can cut corners enormously, and some where just getting slightly off road incurs the penalty. If anything, they can continue tweaking it, but it needs to stay for some of the locations without question.

I disagree with that.. corner penalty is good and so is the intentionally collision one, although that one is more finicky

By get rid of it, I didn't mean let us cut corners. I meant make it penalize us in a more realistic way. Like if you cut an area it makes the car supremely hard to control and costs you because w/out godly control of the car you spin out. It's kind of the same thing but, less random feeling and keeps the people with the penalty on the sidelines while they get their car straight instead of driving 50mph down the middle of the track in front of cars coming 100mph.

The collision one I could not care less about. The game already is played online like it's a crash derby most of the time so it's not really affecting game play, other than the times where I get a penalty because someone else is driving like a jackass or I lose control and cause someone else to get an unfair one.

lordxar

Can't wait to get home and dig into the DLC. I'm already bored as hell at work so having something to look forward to is making it worse...

AndyD

aka andydumi
By get rid of it, I didn't mean let us cut corners. I meant make it penalize us in a more realistic way. Like if you cut an area it makes the car supremely hard to control and costs you because w/out godly control of the car you spin out. It's kind of the same thing but, less random feeling and keeps the people with the penalty on the sidelines while they get their car straight instead of driving 50mph down the middle of the track in front of cars coming 100mph.

For that kind of change we would need some wider runoff areas and that's just not possible. What we should get is their car turns ghost for that same slowdown time period, so they can't slow block people catching up. That would be a way to do what you describe. Penalize while also not inhibiting the rest of the racers.

drotahorror

Am I stupid or what. I see the Ignition event thing but i can't choose it? Or did they just add a spot for it on that new menu? I thought it came out the 27th.

drotahorror

New Scotland track is very good. One of my favorite tracks. There was another track I liked too I think it was in India. The 3rd track I didn't care much for.

lordxar

Was about to check my sound until I figured out the Renault DeZir was electric. Color me impressed that it felt so good to drive!

Edit: holy crap the Caterham handles better than the Bac Mono!

krioto

Was about to check my sound until I figured out the Renault DeZir was electric. Color me impressed that it felt so good to drive!

Edit: holy crap the Caterham handles better than the Bac Mono!

lucky - wish I did not have to work today! can you add some pics of the new cars?

Shaneus

Is it due out in Euro/AU today as well? It'd better damn well be there by the time I get home tonight!

Did it require an extra patch/update, or did everything just appear?

Famassu

So I boot up the game after almost 3 weeks and what I see, challenges are still not working? Are they serious?
Meh, the challenges are basically just a way of sending someone a "hey, beat this bitch" message to a friend, but them not working doesn't stop you from competing against your friends or other people's times in all the Tour & single events, as the leaderboards & time trials have worked flawlessly anytime I've played the game after the last patch (and decently well even before that).

Apart from not being able to send challenges, the game is working really well at the moment. It might give some error every 3-5 races in multiplayer, but otherwise I don't have much to complain anymore. The most important aspects for competing against other people after you've exhausted the Tour mode (leaderboards & online multiplayer) work without many issues (though, haven't tested cup leaderboards in a while).

In other news, I finally managed to do the Venom Hot Lap's third star. I got a 1:17.008 or something when I last tried it some days ago and failed to even manage to do anything close to that yesterday (mostly 1:18 or 1:19 or even worse), but suddenly one lap just went that much better and now I have, like, a 1:15.986 time in it. :D Damn I would've been furious if I had been 0.015 slower than that. :S

So I boot up the game after almost 3 weeks and what I see, challenges are still not working? Are they serious?
Is it just me or do non working features bother people who aren't actually playing the game more than the guys who are?

In other news the servers were the most stable I've seen yet tonight, I had 1 disconnect in 3 hours of play with 2 mates so it looks like real progress is being made (or player numbers have dropped off).

Can't wait to try the new cars out once they get released here - what class is that Renault in?

MAN, these new cars are crazy. Just wait until you drive the Dezir for the first time. The X-box and Caterham are more lightweight fun. I really love it.

Matush

Is it just me or do non working features bother people who aren't actually playing the game more than the guys who are?

In other news the servers were the most stable I've seen yet tonight, I had 1 disconnect in 3 hours of play with 2 mates so it looks like real progress is being made (or player numbers have dropped off).

Can't wait to try the new cars out once they get released here - what class is that Renault in?
Well, I am level 42, so I don't know about "not playing the game." Even if thr challenges are lame, I would like to try them out. I am still loving the game and having blast playing with my friends.

i_max

Neo Member
I like the Lykan!

bXb5piD.jpg

http://youtu.be/G34kEkw9Ww4

LOL that "Beat Alfie Sanders" challenge. I see what you did there Evolution. xD

It would be awesome to get some new music tracks on future dlc's Evo. Make it happen pls.

andylsun

This game still frustrates me.

I can't get cornering right. There appears to be a large amount of lift-off oversteer in quite a lot of cars. Just tried the electric Renault and it's particularly bad. Don't quite understand what's going on.

I drive manual with a T500RS wheel and while I'm not super quick in GT5/6 I'm pretty clean.

With driveclub some corners are an adventure! Lift off and boom, straight into the inside barriers.

Try the electric Renault on the mountain top chile race. I've just set the fastest global time (best of only two drivers who have tried it) and it snaps into corners like crazy.

Fed up getting rear ended by the AI. I tend to brake early and clean (slower in, faster out) and it never ends well with the AI right behind me.

Bluenova

Neo Member
This game still frustrates me.

I can't get cornering right. There appears to be a large amount of lift-off oversteer in quite a lot of cars. Just tried the electric Renault and it's particularly bad. Don't quite understand what's going on.

I drive manual with a T500RS wheel and while I'm not super quick in GT5/6 I'm pretty clean.

With driveclub some corners are an adventure! Lift off and boom, straight into the inside barriers.

Try the electric Renault on the mountain top chile race. I've just set the fastest global time (best of only two drivers who have tried it) and it snaps into corners like crazy.

Fed up getting rear ended by the AI. I tend to brake early and clean (slower in, faster out) and it never ends well with the AI right behind me.

I know what you are talking about, and i don't know if it is realistic, but yeah I noticed the renault will do that, so i don't lift completely, i like to feed the brake in with some cars ever since driving the Atom. If i may postulate, the electric car does not engine brake like other cars if you let go of the throttle, the drivetrain has little rotating mass, so the weight shift and wheel speed is behaving differently. mayybe .. my opinion of lift of oversteer in DC is that at highspeeds IRL it would be is pretty unsettling combined with road conditions and torque of these beasts. I'm sure something will click about it.

Also I have played a lot of GT6, and I am kinda fast and consistent, but definately driving in GT is easier, I find much of the racing an car handling predictable [and enjoyable] and cars+tuning makes it easier.

To me though I really have enjoyed how I have to adapt my driving style and inputs for each or most cars. I am basically very content with the driving model, exception is i can't really link drifts. I haven't gotten good at drifting lol...

The caterham is slick sucker. I will replay that pacific lightweights one a few times.

Well, I am level 42, so I don't know about "not playing the game." Even if thr challenges are lame, I would like to try them out. I am still loving the game and having blast playing with my friends.
Sorry if I was a bit quick to jump on you there but Driveclub seems to be a favourite system wars target for people to rag on - I want to challenge my mates too but I think Evo have got their priorities right in fixing the online and I can live without the challenges a bit longer if we can get a stable online multiplayer.

I doubt the lack of a working challenge system is affecting the player numbers in any significant way but the multiplayer difficulties certainly were.

How do people feel about the online lobbies getting shuffled every race? Would a ranking system work better, where the highest rated guys got placed in the same race? I should think it'd make it easier for new guys to get into the online without getting frustrated and quitting whilst helping the top guys get cleaner, faster races.

hallohering

Neo Member
I finally did the Venom Hot Lap in 1:15:102!

Amazing, i just love this game :)

On the last straight i kneed before the TV screaming because i was sure now i will beat the 1:16:00 mark. So much joy :)

andylsun

I know what you are talking about, and i don't know if it is realistic, but yeah I noticed the renault will do that, so i don't lift completely, i like to feed the brake in with some cars ever since driving the Atom. If i may postulate, the electric car does not engine brake like other cars if you let go of the throttle, the drivetrain has little rotating mass, so the weight shift and wheel speed is behaving differently. mayybe .. my opinion of lift of oversteer in DC is that at highspeeds IRL it would be is pretty unsettling combined with road conditions and torque of these beasts. I'm sure something will click about it.

Also I have played a lot of GT6, and I am kinda fast and consistent, but definately driving in GT is easier, I find much of the racing an car handling predictable [and enjoyable] and cars+tuning makes it easier.

To me though I really have enjoyed how I have to adapt my driving style and inputs for each or most cars. I am basically very content with the driving model, exception is i can't really link drifts. I haven't gotten good at drifting lol...

The caterham is slick sucker. I will replay that pacific lightweights one a few times.

I've been driving as I would IRL. One foot moving between accelerator and brake. I wonder if that's my problem. If I try some two foot driving and keep a little power on into the corner while braking and see if that makes a difference.

Glad it's not just me. I wonder if for this game it would be better with a controller. Treat it more like a arcade racer.

lordxar

I've been driving as I would IRL. One foot moving between accelerator and brake. I wonder if that's my problem. If I try some two foot driving and keep a little power on into the corner while braking and see if that makes a difference.

Glad it's not just me. I wonder if for this game it would be better with a controller. Treat it more like a arcade racer.

Two foot it and hell no, controller sucks compared to the wheel. There's a few cars you have to brake and gas at the same time. At least that's the only way I can control them.

andylsun

Two foot it and hell no, controller sucks compared to the wheel. There's a few cars you have to brake and gas at the same time. At least that's the only way I can control them.

Cool. Two foot it is. I used to do that in earlier games but switched when my new wheel arrived (upgraded from DF GT to T500RS and wanted to drive 'properly' with clutch).

The graphics in this game are sublime and I love point to point time trials.

Melchiah

Wait, so the unlock for these extra cars isn't out in Europe/Australia yet, just the US? What a load of horse shit.
Is this your first time dealing with PSN updates?

It's even more annoying knowing that Evolution is a British studio, and because the game is most likely more popular in Europe, like racing games in general are. Oh well, I'll try the new events and cars tonight.

i_max

Neo Member
Cool. Two foot it is. I used to do that in earlier games but switched when my new wheel arrived (upgraded from DF GT to T500RS and wanted to drive 'properly' with clutch).

Why didn't you get the T300RS?

JamboGT

Big GT and Sim racer here, Driveclub can't be raced like that, it is an out and out arcade game, you have to abuse the car and go right to the limit and then a little beyond. Is fun though when you do.

Top Bottom