• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Need one more god damn star for the Photo Finish DLC and I just can't seem to get the Average Speed face off in the second race of the Photo Finish Trophy.

Driving me fucking nuts.

Evo said they chose the respective type of precipitation for each of the locales based on what seems to be the most plausible with regards to the individual setting and the time of year they determined for each of them. Since we already saw footage of rainy Canada, I think it's fair to assume there will be not a single snowflake on those tracks. Sorry.

That would be a shame. It snows a lot in the Canadian Rockies, doesn't make sense why it would only rain on those tracks.

viveks86

Just got all the stars for the ignition pack. Man, single player is still some of the best racing I have ever experienced! Just can't get enough of it!

Are people still having trouble with the AI? Throughout the first DLC pack, I didn't have a single issue where I got rammed too hard or spun out by them.

Also face offs have worked flawlessly for me. Ghosts show up every time as well. Haven't bothered with MP yet. Don't plan to touch it till they confirm that everything is resolved.

Pachimari

How's DriveClub so far? Are you guys playing directly against each other on the roads?

It's currently half price here in my country, so I'm thinking about getting it if it runs well and works online. :)

viveks86

Everything *is* resolved.

Really? Will check it MP again later today. I tried it 10 days ago and it was still flaky. Decided to give it a rest until it is completely fixed. GTA has kept me occupied. But now with the new DLC content, I couldn't resist getting back in.

Playing through the new tour modes has brought home what a shame the game had the server issues when it first came out. Having the leader boards there for each event, and ghost cars of your team mates in drift and time trial events just makes the game so much more addictive - I find myself repeatedly playing the events despite getting the 3 stars just to try and beat my club mates or get higher up on the leader boards. I really can't fathom how it got some of those naff reviews.

Isn't the weather system supposed to be fully customisable? So in theory you can put snow in the Chile track if you want.
Unless it has changed, the answer is snow is only in places where it is plausible it would snow.

The person with the quote above - them saying rain turning to snow does not mean you can have snow on every location. It means that for those where it can snow, it may begin as rain.

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
Yeah the game has been working pretty smooth for me for the past week. Everyone should be getting to that level of smoothness as the servers continue to get updated and working for your particular connection, if you're still experiencing disconnects.

The only issue I've been having since the ignition DLC is that I cannot connect to none of the multiplayer event that have any of the new cars. The server will kick me out of that event like if I don't have the cars or I'm not compatible or something. Any other multiplayer event without the new cars I get in 10/10 times

sneaky77

I have to say I still love driving in this game, despite the problems it's had, which is a shame. Also I think this is the racing game that I can remember in recent memory where most of the tracks are really enjoyable to drive in. I can say that there is no tracks that make go, crap not this shit again

Jimrpg

MAN -im so pumped - 225/225 stars... by far the hardest was the last star of the Venom Hot Lap... It wasn't until I started cutting corners, checking my speeds for every corner I was getting nearer to the time.

Will wait for a discount on the season pass, but generally the game is great, what a disappointment all the network problems turned out to be... Its cost Evo's reputation in the end.

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
MAN -im so pumped - 225/225 stars... by far the hardest was the last star of the Venom Hot Lap... It wasn't until I started cutting corners, checking my speeds for every corner I was getting nearer to the time.

Will wait for a discount on the season pass, but generally the game is great, what a disappointment all the network problems turned out to be... Its cost Evo's reputation in the end.

Not that you got 225/225 it's time to do the rest. Download the Free IGNITION DLC and continue enjoying this great game. 90 new Single Events for you to conquer. Good Luck

nampad

So have they fixed this game by now? Would return to it if so and my brother is about to geta PS4 and loves driving games. If it weren't for Morpheus, he would get the Xbox One because he likes Forza.

Famassu

So have they fixed this game by now? Would return to it if so and my brother is about to geta PS4 and loves driving games. If it weren't for Morpheus, he would get the Xbox One because he likes Forza.
Leaderboards work flawlessly (even in the multirace cups), face-offs work flawlessly (it loads them always, at least for me, and gone are the 15,984,439km/h average speed ones), time trials work flawlessly, online multiplayer might give an error now and then but not nearly as often as before and you usually get into a lobby much quicker than before, all the personal & club statistics work etc.

I'd say it's working as well as any online game can, EXCEPT the challenges are still locked, but at this point I don't mind because I can still compete against friends & random people in many ways even without challenges.

The only problem I had was last sunday (or saturday) when I couldn't connect at all, but I'm wondering if that was a lingering issue with the game or if they were just doing something with their servers and they were simply offline for that time. Because other than that, I've played the game almost daily and for long periods and it's been working really well.

lordxar

As I see things there are two problems in the way it currently works.. challenges aside of course. First is that the lobbies take a bit long to connect players. That definitely needs improvement. The other issue is that after you race for a while the event selector goes blank and you have to back out or select a new event. I've also seen glimmers of what looked like ghosts of first, second, and third place for challenges which was pretty cool. So it's not 100% but it's working very, very well.

nasanu

Banned
Everything *is* resolved. The only thing not working now is challenges (and the mobile apps).

Edit: realised I was not quoting the evo member, this is really addressed to evo.

Resolved? Isn't it really just that enough people stopped playing that the load on the servers has reduced?

It is crazy that to this day challenges do not work and ghosts still often take several laps to load. Here is an idea, perhaps someone could get hold of a ps4 and study it's architecture? You might find out it has a HDD where at the very least player ghosts could be stored and loaded from without any need for a server.

And I am not holding my breath for the weather update. Obviously you cant get it running with a stable framerate otherwise we'd have this update by now.

This game is so close to something very special but still needs another year of development and a few common sense decisions.

And speaking of common sense, how about the not adding times to leaderbaords when a player has hit a wall? You are already checking for clean laps, one single if statement added to the code could clear up a lot of cheating open up a new section of the game which would otherwise be spoiled.

viveks86

Whoa whoa whoa! Since when did they start having so many events on the event browser?! o_O

You might find out it has a HDD where at the very least player ghosts could be stored and loaded from without any need for a server.

Player ghosts are stored on the HDD. Sign out of PSN and your ghost will load immediately. The issue has to do with the game checking the servers for 3 ghosts, one of them being your own if you have already posted a time

And I am not holding my breath for the weather update. Obviously you cant get it running with a stable framerate otherwise we'd have this update by now.

Weather update is coming sooner than many think.

And speaking of common sense, how about the not adding times to leaderbaords when a player has hit a wall? You are already checking for clean laps, one single if statement added to the code could clear up a lot of cheating open up a new section of the game which would otherwise be spoiled.

Valid point. But this is feedback to improve the game, not fix it

Kumubou

Player ghosts are stored on the HDD. Sign out of PSN and your ghost will load immediately. The issue has to do with the game checking the servers for 3 ghosts, one of them being your own if you have already posted a time
I think what he's suggesting is that downloaded ghosts should be cached and not have to be re-downloaded for a specific track until either a) you beat the ghost or b) they expire after so much time. Right now, every time you load a time trial or event (even if you're just restarting it), it tries to re-download everything when it really doesn't need to.

I know that leaderboards can still be screwed up (although not nearly as frequently as before) and ghosts for drift events are all messed up. So it's not quite there yet, even before challenges get turned on.

viveks86

I think what he's suggesting is that downloaded ghosts should be cached and not have to be re-downloaded for a specific track until either a) you beat the ghost or b) they expire after so much time. Right now, every time you load a time trial or event (even if you're just restarting it), it tries to re-download everything when it really doesn't need to.

He was talking about not having the need for any server for loading a ghost, so my assumption is that he is referring to the player's own ghost and not from the leaderboard.

Your caching idea is definitely worth exploring though. It will certainly prevent spamming the server for every restart where the player hasn't posted a new time.

Famassu

Resolved? Isn't it really just that enough people stopped playing that the load on the servers has reduced?]
That's probably a part of the reason, but things have improved too much in too short a time-span for that to be the only reason, and most always after updates.

It is crazy that to this day challenges do not work and ghosts still often take several laps to load.
Maybe they have wanted to make the more important basic features work well before (basic multiplayer, leaderboards, face-offs during races), than focusing on a more special feature outside your basic single player & multiplayer stuff?

And my ghosts are loaded right from the start nowadays (whereas it might've taken several laps in the not so distant past, if they ever even loaded). Maybe it's your connection that is screwing things up?

Here is an idea, perhaps someone could get hold of a ps4 and study it's architecture? You might find out it has a HDD where at the very least player ghosts could be stored and loaded from without any need for a server.
I'm sure they have a reason why they don't save ghosts to the PS4's HDD, though I agree at least the player's own ghosts should be saved on the HDD.

They always implied it would arrive in December and have recently repeated that it's still ~on schedule of arriving by the end of the year. So your pessimism has no basis. You don't seem to understand that it's not just about the visuals, they also need to think about the handling of the cars. Rain & snow will obviously make the tracks more slippery, so they REALLY need to nail the handling if they want the racing to still feel fun when it rains. THAT is, I'm guessing, their major worry at the moment. They need to fine hone the handling to such perfection that it is on dry road now and test all the cars so that they are all still fun to drive when it's raining. Otherwise they will have done all the job for nothing, if no one ever uses rain & snow because it maybe makes driving too frustrating. They are probably also balancing the physics of forming puddles etc. as well (how quickly they form & evaporate, how they affect handling etc.). I doubt they are having too much trouble with the framerate, based on the videos that have seemed perfectly smooth.

lordxar

He was talking about not having the need for any server for loading a ghost, so my assumption is that he is referring to the player's own ghost and not from the leaderboard.

Your caching idea is definitely worth exploring though. It will certainly prevent spamming the server for every restart where the player hasn't posted a new time.

I'd imagine ghost times still have to be compared though. Say your 1 second behind someone and it caches that. If someone else comes in between before you play again I'd imagine the game shows the new between time instead? They could forward cache like the three next times and read those first on the next load and recache as needed. Shrug...

viveks86

I'd imagine ghost times still have to be compared though. Say your 1 second behind someone and it caches that. If someone else comes in between before you play again I'd imagine the game shows the new between time instead? They could forward cache like the three next times and read those first on the next load and recache as needed. Shrug...

Yeah. It won't be straightforward logic, but there will need to be some kind of a cache refresh and "look ahead" that happens periodically.

chadskin

Noticed the improvements to face-offs and ghosts in the past few days, too. Works as it should now so if SP is your main interest @nampad, I think you're good to go. I need to try some multiplayer races this weekend again, 3 weeks ago a friend and I tried to get into a race and it took us about 10 to 15 minutes and several tries to get just one going. Hopefully that has improved, too.

Man, if it wasn't for all these issues, this game would've scored much higher and got the recognition it deserves. Controls feel so good, every car feels different, graphics are amazing, the face-offs are a great idea and if you have friends to compete with in the face-offs and on the leaderboards it's so damn fun.

Here's to hoping Sony knows they have a very solid base game on their hands and lets Evo build upon it for - hopefully - Driveclub 2. More cars from the US and Asia, some known tracks (i.e. dedicated race tracks and something like Pikes Peak and the Nordschleife), much more Tour events, a better AA solution plus a working online infrastructure from the beginning and this is a winner.

viveks86

Man, if it wasn't for all these issues, this game would've scored much higher and got the recognition it deserves. Controls feel so good, every car feels different, graphics are amazing, the face-offs are a great idea and if you have friends to compete with in the face-offs and on the leaderboards it's so damn fun.

None of these issues were there when it was being reviewed. As baffling as reviewers' scores were, they wouldn't change. Having said that, the game would have sold a LOT better without these issues.

chadskin

None of these issues were there when it was being reviewed. As baffling as reviewers' scores were, they wouldn't change. Having said that, the game would have sold a LOT better without these issues.

I remember Rushy and the US PS Blog guys did a Twitch stream a couple of days prior to the launch and they couldn't get one MP game going, even though servers were up according to them. They were having the same issues I've had 3 weeks ago so I think at least the MP part was pretty broken then, too. But I admit, I haven't paid too much attention to the reviews itself, just saw the scores and figured these issues were the main culprit. :)

Then I guess Forza Horizon 2 hurt the game more than these issues in terms of reviews. It's open world, it's big, bright and colorful and it just appeals to a much larger crowd that way than the more "serious" DC. It launching a couple of days later when FH2 was still fresh on reviewer's minds maybe wasn't the best idea in retrospect.

viveks86

I remember Rushy and the US PS Blog guys did a Twitch stream a couple of days prior to the launch and they couldn't get one MP game going, even though servers were up according to them. They were having the same issues I've had 3 weeks ago so I think at least the MP part was pretty broken then, too. But I admit, I haven't paid too much attention to the reviews itself, just saw the scores and figured these issues were the main culprit. :)

Then I guess Forza Horizon 2 hurt the game more than these issues in terms of reviews. It's open world, it's big, bright and colorful and it just appeals to a much larger crowd that way than the more "serious" DC. It launching a couple of days later when FH2 was still fresh on reviewer's minds maybe wasn't the best idea in retrospect.

Yeah the MP issues they were having were related to PSN being terrible for 2 weeks before launch. Challenges, notifications, stats, leader boards were all working fine. The issue the game had is with regard to what they seemed to expect out of a racing game (FH2 most likely had an impact). That, the penalty system and the AI were the biggest gripes in most reviews. Most criticisms were levels agains the single player mode.

Jimrpg

Not that you got 225/225 it's time to do the rest. Download the Free IGNITION DLC and continue enjoying this great game. 90 new Single Events for you to conquer. Good Luck

YUP! And the game has not got tedious like other racing games yet even though its just event after event. The weather/and time of day system really mixes things up.

90 stars is 2/5 of extra single player content. Its nice of Evo to give that out.

benzy

Leaderboards show there's about 600,000 players online, so the number of copies sold and shipped to stores could be a bit more. I wonder what the game's budget is.

danowat

Banned
New to the PS4, so bear with me!!!, console will be delivered tomorrow,so would like to get hold of it today.

Whats the cheapest and easiest way to get hold of Driveclub in the UK?, prefer download if possible.

Is there a free version on PS+? and if I like it I can upgrade to a full version?

Do we know how well it sold? I thought I saw leaderboard numbers over 300k, which is a pretty solid number for a kind new racing IP.

New to the PS4, so bear with me!!!, console will be delivered tomorrow,so would like to get hold of it today.

Whats the cheapest and easiest way to get hold of Driveclub in the UK?, prefer download if possible.

Is there a free version on PS+? and if I like it I can upgrade to a full version?

If you have PS+ you can get the full game off the store for £34.99 but you might be able to shop around and find a cheaper disc version somewhere.

Weather update is coming sooner than many think.

Oh really? You seem to have the inside track on Driveclub info (you hinted to us about the last big patch prior to official confirmation) so is there anything more you can tell us about this or where you get your info from?

le-seb

I really love this game, but the way it handles DLC is a disaster. :(

How come latest pack liveries are still locked in the game, although they're 'bought' and installed on the console?
B3mVNknIQAAMXET.jpg:large
B3mZS8UIMAAZbzk.jpg:large
I've bought them from the web store, FWIW.
Also tried rebooting my console, but didn't change shit.

Top Bottom