• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Same here.

The only thing keeping me from purchasing the season pass is the difficulty/star requirement.

If the free DLC are anything to go buy. I wouldn't have much fun with the season pass. I can do good enough to get the bare minimum to advance. But I struggle with drifting, gold is an afterthought. I only go for silver. I constantly fall a few stars short of unlocking the final event. I can get about 21-24 of the required, 27? but that's about it.

I wouldn't mind a slight tweak in difficulty.

The two new packs, Apex and Sakura require 8 stars to open the second section and 22 I think (might be 24) to unlock the last championship.

MMaRsu

Any update or acknowledgement on the continued [MP] server issues? Or even just a reply to the question of whether or not Evo actually has any user facing help available?

I tried again last night to race online. I attempted to join five events, I got into all five lobbies but was ejected at "connecting to players" each and every time.

Yes please give us more insight and updates as when the MP stuff will be fixed? I usually dont have a lot of problems racing online but updates would be nice.

desu

The two new packs, Apex and Sakura require 8 stars to open the second section and 22 I think (might be 24) to unlock the last championship.

Interesting, maybe they won't lower the stars for existing tours because they would have retroactively hand our trophies and this might cause problems!? Who knows but 8 and 22/24 stars already sounds a lot better.

whiteape

When i get the seasonpass, do i get all the DLCs available right now? Even those mini stuff for 0,75€? Or is the pass just for packs like APEX?

Tommi84

Any good soul that can tell me how much would i need to download for Sakura/Apex DLC? Not at home right now and my PS4 is turned off :(

Auctopus

Rushy, I'm not sure how hard it is to fix but please try and fix the 'win 5 of your own solo challenges trophy.' I've done about 20 and still yet to get my Platinum, I don't really have time to wait for them all to end in sync to make sure it pops.

Any update or acknowledgement on the continued [MP] server issues? Or even just a reply to the question of whether or not Evo actually has any user facing help available?

I tried again last night to race online. I attempted to join five events, I got into all five lobbies but was ejected at "connecting to players" each and every time.

It must suck being the guy who it doesn't work for :-( I'm not sure if they have a host console on this game but I do wonder if there is, could that be the cause of the issue. Your BT infinity connection will be better than the vast majority of the UK player's so it would win the host vote...

The connections do actually appear to be a bit better for those of us who can get on - previously it was pretty rare to get everyone into the race, you'd get a pause before the car selection and 1-2 guys would get booted before the game would proceed. Last night I got into a number of 12 player races, which certainly makes it tougher to get from the back to the front if they're arseholes despite the none sticky barriers now.

airjoca

Rushy, I'm not sure how hard it is to fix but please try and fix the 'win 5 of your own solo challenges trophy.' I've done about 20 and still yet to get my Platinum, I don't really have time to wait for them all to end in sync to make sure it pops.

Send the challenges to another user created by you, with only 1h duration. Log in with the other user and do terrible at the challenges. (make sure it's with cars that a level1 player can use).

Go back to your normal user, and be online when the 1h expires. Money.

Skii

Just done the "Welcome to Japan" and "Icona Vulcano Salute" events and they were very easy. A lot easier than the initial events in the Element tour personally. Hope this isn't the standard for the rest of Sakura and Apex. If so, Evolution, you done fucked it up.

kyser73

Same here.

The only thing keeping me from purchasing the season pass is the difficulty/star requirement.

If the free DLC are anything to go buy. I wouldn't have much fun with the season pass. I can do good enough to get the bare minimum to advance. But I struggle with drifting, gold is an afterthought. I only go for silver. I constantly fall a few stars short of unlocking the final event. I can get about 21-24 of the required, 27? but that's about it.

Just done the "Welcome to Japan" and "Icona Vulcano Salute" events and they were very easy. A lot easier than the initial events in the Element tour personally. Hope this isn't the standard for the rest of Sakura and Apex. If so, Evolution, you done fucked it up.

These two posts encapsulate why I'd never be a dev.

The whole Sakura challenge is easier than Elements, but a lot more flat-out, pedal-to-the-metal fun, rather than srsbzns of epic concentration.

Plus, the main trophy is track cars, so it's BAC goodness all the way!

Skii

These two posts encapsulate why I'd never be a dev.

The whole Sakura challenge is easier than Elements, but a lot more flat-out, pedal-to-the-metal fun, rather than srsbzns of epic concentration.

Plus, the main trophy is track cars, so it's BAC goodness all the way!

If you was a developer, you would see the solution to the problem straight away. Make all events accessible or make it easier to access them but don't compromise the difficulty of the actual events.

kyser73

If you was a developer, you would see the solution to the problem straight away. Make all events accessible or make it easier to access them but don't compromise the difficulty of the actual events.

No compromise on the difficulty everywhere is just going to piss people off eventually. Giving people full access to races they can barely compete in is just as bad - no-one wants to feel like a monkey with a joypad:)

I'm not complaining mind - I've still got loads of stars to get, but I know it's my own skill level that's causing it, not the game IYSWIM?

Skii

No compromise on the difficulty everywhere is just going to piss people off eventually. Giving people full access to races they can barely compete in is just as bad - no-one wants to feel like a monkey with a joypad:)

I'm not complaining mind - I've still got loads of stars to get, but I know it's my own skill level that's causing it, not the game IYSWIM?

It shouldn't piss people off. That's why they implemented a star system so that those who aren't good enough earn the 1-2 stars whilst those who practice enough will get the 3 stars for every event.

Those that complain are ridiculous in my opinion. There hasn't been a single race where it is obscenely difficult. There are some races that are difficult, yes but they are always fair and can always be conquered if you continue to practice the race.

This is all coming from a guy who's pretty bad at racing games. But I've always been bad at them as they've never been captivating enough for me to continue playing and getting better. And even then, the systems governing the game are always in some way unfair.

Driveclub is the first racing game in a long time that has challenge but is completely fair as long as you're willing to put the time in.

kyser73

It shouldn't piss people off. That's why they implemented a star system so that those who aren't good enough earn the 1-2 stars whilst those who practice enough will get the 3 stars for every event.

Those that complain are ridiculous in my opinion. There hasn't been a single race where it is obscenely difficult. There are some races that are difficult, yes but they are always fair and can always be conquered if you continue to practice the race.

This is all coming from a guy who's pretty bad at racing games. But I've always been bad at them as they've never been captivating enough for me to continue playing and getting better. And even then, the systems governing the game are always in some way unfair.

Driveclub is the first racing game in a long time that has challenge but is completely fair as long as you're willing to put the time in.

Apart from the slightly harsh 'ridiculous' comment I'm with you all the way on this one.

Venom 2 is pretty damn hard tho :)

Those that complain are ridiculous in my opinion.
Have you 3 starred all the events in cockpit view? Elements difficulty was great across the board.. except where night+heavy precipitation made cockpit play excruciatingly difficult. The focus became almost entirely on visibility (lack of), not your actual driving ability. Watch how much speed a player has to shed when in cockpit view if they lose sight of the AI. It's difficult for all the wrong reasons.

The difference in visibility between cockpit cam and the rest is huge in certain conditions. It needs to be taken into account when balancing. Personally, I would like to keep the difficulty higher but either avoid night+heavy weather totally in the tour or avoid severe difficulty spikes in those conditions.

I honestly cannot think of an event in a driving game as hard as Venom 2 in cockpit view. Last time I looked, my video was the only cockpit Venom 2 on YouTube!

nib95

Banned
One week later. Still 3 stars left. Savage is still the worst care ever made by a man. Drifting still sucks.

Have you read over the drifting guide? I don't have a link to it off hand, but someone posted one earlier in the thread. Once it clicks and you get the mechanics down, drifting is actually quite easy.

Same here.

They lowered the required stars for the events in the new DLC. I'm glad they did actually. I paid for the season pass mostly for the cars but, I had a little bit of fear that I was going to pay for content that I would never be able to access as far as the tours go....based on the last packs anyways. Mind you, I'm a married dude in my 30s with kids and a full time job so I cannot play the game as much as others.

It's nice that they alleviated that concern, while maintaining overall difficulty (I'm guessing it's still going to be just as difficult to get all of the stars anyways).

DJ Gunner

Have you 3 starred all the events in cockpit view? Elements difficulty was great across the board.. except where night+heavy precipitation made cockpit play excruciatingly difficult. The focus became almost entirely on visibility (lack of), not your actual driving ability. Watch how much speed a player has to shed when in cockpit view if they lose sight of the AI. It's difficult for all the wrong reasons.

The difference in visibility between cockpit cam and the rest is huge in certain conditions. It needs to be taken into account when balancing. Personally, I would like to keep the difficulty higher but either avoid night+heavy weather totally in the tour or avoid severe difficulty spikes in those conditions.

I honestly cannot think of an event in a driving game as hard as Venom 2 in cockpit view. Last time I looked, my video was the only cockpit Venom 2 on YouTube!

So don't play in cockpit view?

I mean, I get that it is the preferred view for some, and adds to the immersion, but choosing that view knowing it increases the difficulty is on the player, as it is totally optional.

IMO the minimum star requirement to get to play events should be reduced or dropped. Let folks try their hand at whatever they want. But dialing back the difficulty overall just makes 3-starring events feel more hollow and less satisfying for players like myself. Sakura was a total breeze, and that was the first tour I played that left me wanting alot more in terms of challenge.

I feel like hot hatches are the hardest class for me. Every other class feels like I can compete in the tour, multiplayer and Challenges, but with hot hatches I get destroyed. And they are supposed to be the easy class?!

Like the Sakura tour Small in Japan. I feel like I either break or lift gas and the ghost will take a lead I can never catch, or I go flat out and end up ging too wide or spin.

Feels like I have improved in everything else but these damn shopping carts lol!

IKizzLE

DLC Car Review:

Caterham Superlight: Pretty quick and very fun to drive. A top contender in the performance car class.

Icona Vulcano: It's fast but still not beating the upper echelon of super cars in terms of performance such as the GTA Spano. Handling is simple even though it handles like a bus. Overall, pretty boring to drive.

Mclaren 650s: See MP4-12C.

Corvette ZR1: Sounds absolutely incredible and is a blast to drive. One of the faster cars in the super class but will still get beaten by some of the top supers.

Ferrari Enzo: Best cornering Hyper in the game. Has serious oversteer in lower gears however. Also the slowest accelerating hyper there and just cant stay competitive with the rest in the class.

Jaguar CX75: Pretty easy drive; pretty much a Mclaren P1-lite. Average at best in the hyper class.

Overall: Evo needs to stop adding concept cars and add more production cars lol.

Skii

Apart from the slightly harsh 'ridiculous' comment I'm with you all the way on this one.

Venom 2 is pretty damn hard tho :)

It is pretty hard, it took me like an hour to complete it but it was so satisfying when I got the 3 stars!

That's a legitimate concern. I personally prefer the chase cam as I get to see the whole of my car in relation to the track and the opponents but they should tone down the rain/snow in cockpit view as it is a disadvantage at the moment to play in that view.

Question for everyone...whats your overall best looking track in the game? Not the best to drive on but the most consistent, aesthetically pleasing and beautiful course in the game.

For me, at the mo...I think it's Cayoosh Point in Canada. The lighting, scale, trees and overall friggin sexyness of this course just takes the cake for me.

The new Japan tracks are beautiful too but there seems to be some awkward lighting over the trees only in sunny daylight conditions and a lot of them appear 2D...especially in the track preview for Nakasendo. Maybe just needs polishing.

I think some of the Indian tracks look truly amazing imho

The EU Store update is still in progress (it can take the Store team a few hours to complete all the content), which currently means that the cars for APEX have yet to be added.

So you can download APEX but you won't have access to the cars until the store update is complete.

The Store update for Sakura Tour, Icona Vulcano and the 2 liveries packs are complete and readily available though.

Thanks for the update. But I seriously am starting to wonder why we need to pay to play online. It's been half a work day now and still nothing has changed.

MMaRsu

Thanks for the update. But I seriously am starting to wonder why we need to pay to play online. It's been half a work day now and still nothing has changed.

Agreed, the EU store is run terrible.

If they put the apex and sakura expansions up, why not the cars?

Terrible service is terrible.

Still having fun with the sakura pack but you know.. we do pay for this service

Auctopus

Question for everyone...whats your overall best looking track in the game? Not the best to drive on but the most consistent, aesthetically pleasing and beautiful course in the game.

For me, at the mo...I think it's Cayoosh Point in Canada. The lighting, scale, trees and overall friggin sexyness of this course just takes the cake for me.

The new Japan tracks are beautiful too but there seems to be some awkward lighting over the trees only in sunny daylight conditions and a lot of them appear 2D...especially in the track preview for Nakasendo. Maybe just needs polishing.

I think some of the Indian tracks look truly amazing imho

Sinclair's Pass, Glenmorgan, Hurrungane, Putre & Chilean racetrack at dawn.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Agreed, the EU store is run terrible.

If they put the apex and sakura expansions up, why not the cars?

Terrible service is terrible.

Maybe the expansions were in the update and what is on the store are just unlock keys?

danowat

Banned
Sinclair pass with dynamic weather is probably the most jaw dropping display of graphical fidelity in any game so far IMO of course.

MMaRsu

SCEE STORE TEAM AT WORK

monkeys-computer.jpg

Still no cars.

Cudder

When you kick someone from your club, do you lose all of the experience points that person has acquired for your club…hence losing club levels?

Drac

Is the VENOM tour event that hard ? I still have one whole tour (PRO I think ?) before unlocking the LEGEND one. You guys make me kinda wary, but I never had any problem 3 staring previous events except for some races because I always fuck up for some mystical reason at the end and get passed by a whole horde (fuck that ruberbanding AI by the way, seriously stop that shit in racing game) but even then just 2-3 retry did the trick. I guess I'll see what the fuss is about soon :)

It's always problems with this damn game. Can't access the cars. I don't care why I can't, when I was able to download everything else. Evolution might be the most incompetent developer in the world when it comes online functions.

Is the VENOM tour event that hard ? I still have one whole tour (PRO I think ?) before unlocking the LEGEND one. You guys make me kinda wary, but I never had any problem 3 staring previous events except for some races because I always fuck up for some mystical reason at the end and get passed by a whole horde (fuck that ruberbanding AI by the way, seriously stop that shit in racing game) but even then just 2-3 retry did the trick. I guess I'll see what the fuss is about soon :)

It's the hardest race in the base game by far imo, but it still only took me 5-6 tries to beat it.

Venom Hot Lap 2 took me around 10-15.

Try it yourself on time trial - it's Tamil Nadu 2 (I think - the longest one) in daytime and your looking for a 1:16. And there is no rubber banding.

I've 3 starred every event with ease up to the Venom Hot Lap. I even won the PRO tour trophy on my first try, it wasn't hard.

The Venom Hot Lap is a goddamn nightmare.

With that said - I absolutely know I can do it, as individually I've taken corners properly, the difficulty comes in stringing together a perfect run. There's 0 margin for error and taking even 1 corner or chicane imperfectly will likely cost you the 1:16 mark.

It's always problems with this damn game. Can't access the cars. I don't care why I can't, when I was able to download everything else. Evolution might be the most incompetent developer in the world when it comes online functions.

The irony of your comment is that it has nothing to do with Evo, they're waiting for Sony to update the store. So maybe you should start caring why.

The EU Store update is still in progress (it can take the Store team a few hours to complete all the content), which currently means that the cars for APEX have yet to be added.

So you can download APEX but you won't have access to the cars until the store update is complete.

The Store update for Sakura Tour, Icona Vulcano and the 2 liveries packs are complete and readily available though.

Auctopus

lol, do you wanna take a walk, mate? It's PS' problem at the moment. Developers don't upload their content independently like Youtube or something.

MMaRsu

Its not Evo its Sony. Evolution has already submitted all the content.

The irony of your comment is that it has nothing to do with Evo, they're waiting for Sony to update the store. So maybe you should start caring why.

Oh. I take my words back. I guess Sony's system is flawed then. It just feels frustrating to download a dlc pack only to find out you can't have the content just yet. It shouldn't be available until it's available.

I'm just so frustrated with my time with Driveclub. It has to be one of the most annoying games I have ever played because of all the problems I've had with it. But it is also one of the best games ever made!

Drac

Try it yourself on time trial - it's Tamil Nadu 2 (I think - the longest one) in daytime and your looking for a 1:16. And there is no rubber banding.

I love the game, but when you perform poorly and the other cars strangely wait for you on the next corner, or when you do really well but can't seem to shake off the second driver (that you passed really easily), that's rubber banding. Let's not even talk about a car being a lot slower than you at the exit of a corner that magically pass you later in a straight while going full throttle (same car) and that's no drafting.

The only racing game I played with no rubber banding was Ferrari Challenge, if you fucked up once, you had lost all chance of victory. Race was often designed so you would pass first just at the end, it was perfect.

I prefer time trial and drifting anyway so it's not big deal but if there's no rubber banding in Driveclub then it's peace on Earth and equality for everyone.

Top Bottom