• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Try hood-cam. You get to see the visuals with a lot more clarity, and at the same time you still get the sense of speed that cock-pit mode offers from being closer to the ground.

I'll definitely give it a try. That's probably closer to how I see things in real-life, anyway. It feels like the guy is sitting way too far back in the cockpit view.

bombshell

I'll definitely give it a try. That's probably closer to how I see things in real-life, anyway. It feels like the guy is sitting way too far back in the cockpit view.

There's also the dashboard cam where you can still feel immersed by looking through the windshield.

Flunkie

Banned
That's probably why you're struggling with it. BAC Mono is one of the grippiest and most controllable vehicles in the game. Immense traction and very short braking distances. Going from a focus on that, to a Hyper car is going to be tricky. Have you experimented with the McLaren P1 yet? I guess that's the closest thing as far as Hyper cars go.

Nope, I'll have to try it. Haven't started the game since I bought the season pass two days ago. :)

Also, I wonder which cars are Hyper in Apex? If not all of them.

Holmastad reverse with a hyper car (middle part of the vanilla tour final) was intense. My butt left the sofa during the last part with the tunnels but did manage to get 1st place. Such sense of speed!

Ebolarama

Banned
3 hours?! That's it? Pffttt… Come back when you have done 8

I'm talking one sitting. I would estimate I've done close to 8 on that one event. This past weekend the only game I played was Drive Club (and admittedly about ten minutes of Shadow Warrior because it was $6), and the only race I played was VHL2.

viveks86

I'm talking one sitting. I would estimate I've done close to 8 on that one event. This past weekend the only game I played was Drive Club (and admittedly about ten minutes of Shadow Warrior because it was $6), and the only race I played was VHL2.

Haha. Don't lose hope. I haven't played any other game in months (except for 20 minutes of shadow of mordor)! Every time I think I should get back to my backlog, they release a new tour pack and I can't peel myself away for weeks :/

Whb29

Seeing the nice environment shots, is there any chance we will ever get this kind of control in photo mode? Or will it forever remain a debug option?

I'd second this - at the very least I'd like to be able to move the camera a little further/higher from the car. I realise they've probably locked it that close to stop all the people on here winging because a small rock 3 miles from the track is the wrong grey - but I think we'd be able to get even more amazing shots with a little more distance to play with..

Please Rushy? :)

Duallusion

Love the new cars. Enzo's grip, 650s' and Corvette's sound, the acceleration of that beautiful Jag ... hnnngg!

EDIT: And Caterham, holy shit is it a joy to drive and listen to!

Ebolarama

Banned
Haha. Don't lose hope. I haven't played any other game in months (except for 20 minutes of shadow of mordor)! Every time I think I should get back to my backlog, they release a new tour pack and I can't peel myself away for weeks :/

I'm looking forward so much more to playing the new tours when I get home than I am to Dying Light, which I bought this morning.

Ranger X

This game gets so much support it almost feels like its an "ungoing development" type of release like Minecraft. lol

Anyhow, thanks Rushy but I am a little bit behind with the DLC, gotta play some more of what I already bought. :p

TEH-CJ

Banned
Great. I have just purchased the apex expansion and it still wont allow me to use the cars?? it says I have to purchase the expansion but I have already done that!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I spent hours, literally hours trying to beat 1:20 on the Venom Hot Lap 2. Today I give it another shot and managed 1:19.8XX on my third lap.

I'm finally in the 405/405 club just in time for the new content.

sogood.gif

Duallusion

Aaaand ... done. 495/495 starz. It's good to be first in the world in the last Apex championship. The only one on the leaderboard though, but, y'know, still. :)

le-seb

Ultimately though you are right, uPnP or port forwarding the correct TCP/UDP ports should in most case be more than adequate to play online but several of us are still having issues so using the DMZ at least minimises any possibility of port related issues at the users end.
What if I tell you that my router/firewall has UPnP port forwarding disabled and no effective port forwarding rules in place?
As long as the console can freely get through your firewall to reach the outside world, everything should be working as intended.

Because I'm a cool guy, I've taken a trace of connections from my PS4 during a MP game in DC:
Code:
Proto NATed Address     Destination Address        State
tcp   [MyPS4]:61422            [Akamai]:80         TIME_WAIT
tcp   [MyPS4]:60434            [Akamai]:80         TIME_WAIT
tcp   [MyPS4]:55739            [Akamai]:443        CLOSE
tcp   [MyPS4]:50839            [Akamai]:443        CLOSE
tcp   [MyPS4]:60425            [Akamai]:443        CLOSE
tcp   [MyPS4]:51596            [Akamai]:443        CLOSE
tcp   [MyPS4]:55161        [Amazon-EC2]:443        CLOSE
tcp   [MyPS4]:52842        [Amazon-EC2]:443        TIME_WAIT
tcp   [MyPS4]:54397        [Amazon-EC2]:443        TIME_WAIT
tcp   [MyPS4]:53080              [SCEA]:443        TIME_WAIT
tcp   [MyPS4]:52834              [SCEA]:443        TIME_WAIT
tcp   [MyPS4]:60214              [SCEA]:443        TIME_WAIT
tcp   [MyPS4]:62057              [SCEA]:443        TIME_WAIT
tcp   [MyPS4]:63779              [SCEA]:443        TIME_WAIT
tcp   [MyPS4]:60371              [SCEA]:443        TIME_WAIT
tcp   [MyPS4]:57079              [SCEA]:443        TIME_WAIT
tcp   [MyPS4]:57461              [SCEA]:443        TIME_WAIT
tcp   [MyPS4]:50770              [SCEA]:443        ESTABLISHED
tcp   [MyPS4]:61104            [Akamai]:443        ESTABLISHED
tcp   [MyPS4]:57792        [Amazon-EC2]:443        ESTABLISHED
tcp   [MyPS4]:63661              [SCEE]:10086      ESTABLISHED
udp   [MyPS4]:9306             [Virgin]:9306       ASSURED
udp   [MyPS4]:9306             [Orange]:9306       ASSURED
udp   [MyPS4]:9306                [Sky]:9306       ASSURED
udp   [MyPS4]:9306         [Romtelecom]:9306       ASSURED
udp   [MyPS4]:9306           [Vodafone]:9306       ASSURED
udp   [MyPS4]:9306              [NCNET]:9306       ASSURED
udp   [MyPS4]:9306               [Free]:9306       ASSURED
udp   [MyPS4]:9306             [Orange]:9306       ASSURED
udp   [MyPS4]:9306               [Free]:9306       ASSURED
udp   [MyPS4]:9306               [Opal]:9306       ASSURED
I've replaced the real network addresses by the name of the networks they belong to, for obvious security reasons, and reordered by destination port and connection state, for ease of reading.

So, what we can see here is that your typical console will try to reach various Sony servers through ports tcp/80 (HTTP) and tcp/443 (HTTPS).
A connection will be issued to some other game server on port tcp/10086 (unassigned by IANA).
Communication with other players' consoles will be done through port udp/9306 (reserved by IANA).

If anything, you can clearly see that there's absolutely no need to forward any of the ports you've mentioned, because no machine is connecting to your console through them.
If you keep your PS4 on a DMZ, you'll have to make sure port udp/9306 is properly forwarded, though, because that's how it'll keep in touch with other players' consoles.

But once again, with any reasonably configured stateful firewall, you shouldn't have to do anything: your PS4 will establish the sessions to all the shit it has to connect to, and your firewall will hopefully let these other systems reply to your console through the same pipes.

benzy

Aaaand ... done. 495/495 starz. It's good to be first in the world in the last Apex championship. The only one on the leaderboard though, but, y'know, still. :)

whitney_receipts.gif

:p I dunno how you did so fast. Didn't it just come out a couple of hours ago? I think I spend too much time in photomode.

Duallusion

:p I dunno how you did so fast. Didn't it just come out a couple of hours ago? I think I spend too much time in photomode.

EDIT: and viveks

I probably checked the PSN store just when the Sakura DLC went live, played through that, came back for Apex, couldn't stop playing through that either. Can't get enough of this game, basically. :)

viveks86

Is this the "next update" that'll fix the gamma issues people have mentioned? Any idea if there are any other minor tweaks that will make it in?

Not in this update. This is a store update, which is essentially an unlock with nothing to download. The next game update will have that fix. I haven't found out when that's happening. Should be in the next 2 weeks I guess.

desu

Is this the "next update" that'll fix the gamma issues people have mentioned? Any idea if there are any other minor tweaks that will make it in?

I would guess not, new DLC stuff as well as fixes were in the patch from last week already. DLC is just put on the store as unlock now and that's it until we get 1.11 next month.

Ted

Because I'm a cool guy...

[cut for brevity]

But once again, with any reasonably configured stateful firewall, you shouldn't have to do anything: your PS4 will establish the sessions to all the shit it has to connect to, and your firewall will hopefully let these other systems reply to your console through the same pipes.

I'm absolutely sure you are a cool guy seb* and yes, I totally get all of that. That's normally what happens for me.

Right now though, for Driveclub, it just doesn't.

PS4 not in DMZ, PS4 in DMZ, default router settings, tweaked router settings, wired, wireless, this router, that router... none of it works to the extent I can click on a lobby and expect to get in.

I don't even give a crap if it takes forever, as long as it gets there in the end. All I'm trying to do is remove as many possible obstacles, no matter how small the chance, to me consistently getting into and then staying in a lobby.

I dread that "communicating with servers" dialogue once you're in the lobby ready to go... when I actually see the car selection screen I cheer a little inside!

I was the lucky one who had their connection work exactly as you describe in virtually every lobby in GT5/GT6 whilst my friends complained endlessly about getting into and staying in lobbies. They were restarting routers before club races, getting their wives and kids to turn off wi-fi on their phones, blah blah and I'm just like, hey, it just works here.

This time, the shoe is on the other foot.

It sucks but it's true.

Anyway, cheers mate, your reply is much appreciated. Have a great evening/day/morning.

I bet you wear sun-glasses indoors and everyfing... :p

i often sneak on DC using remote play when the missus is watching her soaps but often have to fend off party invites etc when people see me in the game - I've tried racing online using remote play or even doing challenges but it's a frustrating experience compared to playing locally. Here's a vid of a test I did to compare the two.

http://youtu.be/zw0gQ0wi3KQ

I don't think there's anything wrong with the implementation of remote play in Driveclub, it's simply that the game requires lots of quick inputs to go quickly and retain control. The two or three frames delay before you get the info and the time taken to return your response means that you never have the level of control you need to drive to your ability. I guess in other games you can play them differently and go at a slower pace but DC is totally about control so sadly just doesn't suit remote play.

sneaky77

Not a big fan of the jaguar in the apex predator.. and for now I'll enjoy my top 5 in the time challenge in the rain in chile with the mclaren

Great. I have just purchased the apex expansion and it still wont allow me to use the cars?? it says I have to purchase the expansion but I have already done that!
Same problem here. Got both new tours and a free car, but can't access cars from Apex pack.
I guess it's because I'm in EU and this stuff is not officially in store yet?
Restoring licenses does nothing.

Stoked the Sakura pack is up, but it's basically unplayable for me till they fix the gamma issues in the cockpit. God I just wanna play those Japan events

Rushy how bout just a quick 10mb update? :b

Dhuie

Neo Member
I made a bit of a dent in my pile of shame so i grabbed Driveclub off the PSN store here in Australia for $36,95 ishh (it's the PS plus edt).

Anyway i'm loving it ! Joined a club a old friend the he had setup, completed a few club challenges spotted a few from Cheese Gaf posting some good times and i might even buy some dlc once i've taken a big bite into the game.

The only one thing i can fault is the drifting...... like why is it even in this game I'm not a fan of it plus i suck at it in the game. If you want drifting bring back Colin Mcrae Rally
may he RIP but live forever in video games.

I made a bit of a dent in my pile of shame so i grabbed Driveclub off the PSN store here in Australia for $36,95 ishh (it's the PS plus edt).

Anyway i'm loving it ! Joined a club a old friend the he had setup, completed a few club challenges spotted a few from Cheese Gaf posting some good times and i might even buy some dlc once i've taken a big bite into the game.

The only one thing i can fault is the drifting...... like why is it even in this game I'm not a fan of it plus i suck at it in the game. If you want drifting bring back Colin Mcrae Rally
may he RIP but live forever in video games.

The drifting isn't the games strength but it does get better once you get used to it. It feels more like controlled powerslides than actual drifts though. The good news is that you don't really need to use it too often, you can avoid drift challenges and there's only a few tour events that require it.

Dhuie

Neo Member
2 xpost edit,

@ bananafactory,

Thanks for the tip, so i should stop trying to opposite lock into the corner and get a good "slide" going ?

Loving the game just need to get better.

2 xpost edit,

@ bananafactory,

Thanks for the tip, so i should stop trying to opposite lock into the corner and get a good "slide" going ?

Loving the game just need to get better.

I'm decent at drifting in this game, but probably not the best person to give advice since I actually know nothing about the mechanics of drifiting, or cars in general for that matter (I can change my tire and that's my vehicle knowledge)

All I can say is to watch your entry speed as you start to lock in, and don't let the angle of your drift become too severe or you'll just lose momentum and peter out. You need to keep your hood oriented straight enough that you still have traction to keep up your speed. It's different for every car and requires some practice until you get an overall "feel" for how the game's physics work.

Someone in here posted drifting tip videos but I can't seem to find them. Maybe someone else is kind enough to dig them up.

Edit: Here's a good post from Merun

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143989864&postcount=670

Teaching with just words isn't easy, but I will try.

Best way to train is to use the tour event, because for the easier one, you don't need to worry about the brake, only throttle and ebrake.

Go into a drift section ( or even before ), steer and tap the ebrake. This start the drift. From there, you control it with steering ( turn in direction of the corner ), and counter steer ( opposite direction ), and throttle. In more powerful car, you will need the brake, as you easily reach speed exceeding what is needed for a corner.

The most important part is to "feel the drift". If you drift at full throttle, it will be longer, but you may hit the outside wall. Throttling ( I mean, ease your foot off the accelerator ) means shorter and sharper drift. Of course, you should manage your throttle during the drift. Most of the the time I go full throttle, but there are few exception depending on the corner.

When attacking a drift section, I start from the outside. Most of the drift are just one time steer and you could let go of the stick/wheel from there, with a bit of counter steer at the end if needed. Ideally, you should do this! ( it's really possible in Driveclub )

http://youtu.be/wZiLf-8FwD8?t=1m13s

Special case are long curves and chicane. Those need high speed and you need to steer during the whole drift. I just go with some tap of the stick.
Also there are some drift section where you need a double drift, in the opposite direction. Most important part in doing that, is the timing of when to start the second drift.

Here are some example.
http://youtu.be/AQJA-tms0fQ

All Britain Drift event. I use the McClaren 12C. Note that first drift you can get more points but I needed more speed. Second section, I need to have around 200km/h, else I can't drift during the whole section. Bit of steering, ebrake, and I steer, steer, but little by little with several tap of the stick during the 6 seconds of the drift. Also, I go full throttle IIRC. Last corner I also steer several time during the drift, though I'm a bit more frank there. In fact, I steer more when I feel that my drift is going to end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Lqo1obPHo
Limited Slip drift event.
First section: I brake, throttle, steer, and counter steer at the end.
Second section: full throttle, steer, and counter steer at the end.

Third section is trickier as it's a slight curve ending with a 90° corner. Going full throttle, I steer until I have the good direction. This is done in the first half/third of the drift, then I counter steer until the end where I adjust the angle to exit the section.

The remaining sections are like the second ( with some throttling if needed ), except the last which is more like the third section.

There you go. I hope it can help you.

kyser73

Loch Duich reverse in the Scottish RS8 Championship from Elements is now my favourite tour race in the whole game. Just outstanding in every single way - from the moment it starts raining and you get that amazing progressive grip drop-off, to the hyperspace moments at the height of the storm on the final section down the hill to the start/finish line and finally the dawn breaking as the storm clears.

How anyone can say this game is mediocre is truly beyond me.

Dhuie

Neo Member
Woah, thanks for bringing that post to my attention Bananafactory hopefully i can get my head around drifting now.

Cheers.

DJ Gunner

Finished Sakura in about an hour and a half- posted some (early, of course) top ten times too, pretty happy about that. Overall though, kind of disappointed that the difficulty was ratcheted wayyyy down- it took me a minimum of 7-10 tries on previous tours to nail drift scores, for example, and the Initial Drift I nailed in the very first attempt. In any case, I get the idea behind doing that, but the sense of accomplishment the first 405 stars brought was second to none. Hope a few future tours bring this back.

Top Bottom