• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

nib95

Banned
I love the game, but when you perform poorly and the other cars strangely wait for you on the next corner, or when you do really well but can't seem to shake off the second driver (that you passed really easily), that's rubber banding.

Erm….I've had 5-10+ seconds between me and the next AI opponent several times, even on later races with Professional or Legendary AI.

Here I basically left them for dead, and it's the second to last race in the Tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP4dP644yGk

If the AI are keeping on your tail, it's because you're not doing perfected or ideal laps. But they do slow down somewhat if you're doing really poorly. As I've said before, it's dynamic AI, not rubber banding, in the sense that the AI will never go beyond the vehicles capable means to catch you, but they will increase in difficulty mid race. Think of it like an Easy, Medium, Hard difficulty toggle, only mid race. But the game will never cheese you the way rubber banding works in many other racers.

I love the game, but when you perform poorly and the other cars strangely wait for you on the next corner, or when you do really well but can't seem to shake off the second driver (that you passed really easily), that's rubber banding. Let's not even talk about a car being a lot slower than you at the exit of a corner that magically pass you later in a straight while going full throttle (same car) and that's no drafting.

The only racing game I played with no rubber banding was Ferrari Challenge, if you fucked up once, you had lost all chance of victory. Race was often designed so you would pass first just at the end, it was perfect.

I prefer time trial and drifting anyway so it's not big deal but if there's no rubber banding in Driveclub then it's peace on Earth and equality for everyone.

The AI does slow down to allow you to catch up if you make a mistake to reduce the frustration and need to restart. But it doesn't cheat to pass you, which is the rubber banding your talking about. Next time it happens take a vid of it - I've been in the thread a while and seen guys talk about this but never seen any actual proof.

I feel like hot hatches are the hardest class for me. Every other class feels like I can compete in the tour, multiplayer and Challenges, but with hot hatches I get destroyed. And they are supposed to be the easy class?!

Like the Sakura tour Small in Japan. I feel like I either break or lift gas and the ghost will take a lead I can never catch, or I go flat out and end up ging too wide or spin.

Feels like I have improved in everything else but these damn shopping carts lol!

Lower powered cars require very precise driving to be competitive. Mistakes are punished hard because you don't have the power (acceleration/braking) to even out little imperfections in your driving. Aiming for maximum corner exit speed is key here. Especially those corners followed by long straights.

JON4495

Has anyone managed to get 3 stars on the 'Small in Japan' time trial in the sakura pack? I'm really struggling to beat that 1:24 time.

Hello folks! I was wondering how the drift mechanics in Driveclub were, when compared to an arcade racer like Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune? I fucking loved that game. Drifting felt so smooth when done correctly.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Dynamic AI or whatever you want to call it, the AI sucks. I waited 30 seconds at the start of a race to have a clear shot at a speed challenge and I caught up to the AI in like a minute. The entire pack was there. That is so stupid. All the actual racing events kind of suck, mostly because of the AI. If you are behind, they give up making all the "top 3 finish" stars pretty much trivial. If you are in the lead the utter perfection and ridiculous drafting is straight up retarded. I have been in straight after coming out of turn better than AI that was bumping each other in a car with better top speeds and been passed like I was standing still. Terrible.

Dynamic AI or whatever you want to call it, the AI sucks. I waited 30 seconds at the start of a race to have a clear shot at a speed challenge and I caught up to the AI in like a minute. The entire pack was there. That is so stupid. All the actual racing events kind of suck, mostly because of the AI. If you are behind, they give up making all the "top 3 finish" stars pretty much trivial. If you are in the lead the utter perfection and ridiculous drafting is straight up retarded. I have been in straight after coming out of turn better than AI that was bumping each other in a car with better top speeds and been passed like I was standing still. Terrible.

Maybe because to beat the speed challenge your supposed to get in front of the pack by driving faster than them rather than cheesing the event by letting them get ahead? Drafting makes a huge difference too...

I beat it when the leaderboards were still wonky. Most of my times/scores in the first tour are obsolete :/

Surrree :p

That sucks though. I figured your times would eventually sync up when the servers got fixed, didn't realize some people's stats actually didn't register properly for leaderboards.

Wtf is wrong with the EU store team?

latest

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Maybe because to beat the speed challenge your supposed to get in front of the pack by driving faster than them rather than cheesing the event by letting them get ahead? Drafting makes a huge difference too...

...What? What does that have to do with the AI almost effectively not racing lol

...What? What does that have to do with the AI almost effectively not racing lol

Well maybe if you drove better you wouldn't need to try to cheat the game to get a star or find the AI passing you in a straight line. The AI has been programmed to be challenging without being frustrating, and to allow you to make the odd mistake without punishing you too much but it's apparently not suited to how you want to play the game. Still it's easier to complain about it than learn how to drive better eh!

Tommi84

And i thought I'd have to download the whole game again. Really, SCEE get yourself checked or fire the morons that can't do it properly.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well maybe if you drove better you wouldn't need to try to cheat the game to get a star or find the AI passing you in a straight line. The AI has been programmed to be challenging without being frustrating, and to allow you to make the odd mistake without punishing you too much but it's apparently not suited to how you want to play the game. Still it's easier to complain about it than learn how to drive better eh!

lol@ cheat the game

I already "drove better" and blew out the AI but they kept getting in the way at that particular part of the race. However the AI was programmed to be, it was poor. It is by far the worst part of the game. You even defending that I was able to catch up to the entire pack of AI drivers after waiting 30 seconds at the line is just comical. There is no complaint of the game not suited to me. That is just flat out bad and should not be happening.

lol@ cheat the game

I already "drove better" and blew out the AI but they kept getting in the way at that particular part of the race. However the AI was programmed to be, it was poor. It is by far the worst part of the game. You even defending that I was able to catch up to the entire pack of AI drivers after waiting 30 seconds at the line is just comical. There is no complaint of the game not suited to me. That is just flat out bad and should not be happening.

Part of their design philosophy was that they didn't want the player to feel like a race was lost just because they spun out or hit a wall. The AI is designed to be competitive and difficult at close range, but adapt so that one mistake won't cost you the entire race.

Whether or not you agree with that decision, it does do precisely this.

DJ Gunner

I've 3 starred every event with ease up to the Venom Hot Lap. I even won the PRO tour trophy on my first try, it wasn't hard.

The Venom Hot Lap is a goddamn nightmare.

With that said - I absolutely know I can do it, as individually I've taken corners properly, the difficulty comes in stringing together a perfect run. There's 0 margin for error and taking even 1 corner or chicane imperfectly will likely cost you the 1:16 mark.

The final chicane in both Venom hotlaps is the AI's weakness. If you can keep them within 4-5 carlengths up until that point, you can rocket past them on that chicane. Just pedal down and cut those corners enough to make as straight a line as possible and you'll slingshot past the AI. Take the final curve decently and you should come in under par.

Someone is taking the piss trying to get me to drift and switch drift direction coming out of the tunnel in blinding light on Lake Slide aren't they.

The final chicane in both Venom hotlaps is the AI's weakness. If you can keep them within 4-5 carlengths up until that point, you can rocket past them on that chicane. Just pedal down and cut those corners enough to make as straight a line as possible and you'll slingshot past the AI. Take the final curve decently and you should come in under par.

I've noticed that too. I just cannot get those last fucking turns down. I ALWAYS shoot out too wide on the final one and grab some of that dirt on the far side of the road as I try to straighten out.

Ugh.

Gonna go again tonight.

DJ Gunner

Someone is taking the piss trying to get me to drift and switch drift direction coming out of the tunnel in blinding light on Lake Slide aren't they.

The only reason I didn't have issues with this is because I got a random challenge a few days ago for this exact drift run, with a Venom, but it was cloudy, so I could see. It was a difficult score to beat too. I worked that switch until I perfected it as best I could, so luckily I had a feel for it being blinded. The good news is there's alot of score to be had in the other curves so if you don't ace that first one, you can still beat top par.

I've noticed that too. I just cannot get those last fucking turns down. I ALWAYS shoot out too wide on the final one and grab some of that dirt on the far side of the road as I try to straighten out.

Ugh.

Gonna go again tonight.

Good luck!

i-Lo

I just want to vent just how fucking difficult it is to control Ariel Atom and KTM with a controller on the turn going from no gas to even part throttle; spin outs and spin outs oooooooofff

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ok. Advice please?

I think I'm doing ok so far considering its my first racing game - got 50 or so stars and just coming up to doing the Amateur trophy. I'm starting to understand the idea of the apex, that I don't need to break at every single corner flag I see and even a bit of drift. Ooo get me!

But I'm really struggling with the first race of the Italian Performance Cup. The recommended car seems to be a Maserati Gran Turismo and it just handles very differently from everything else I've driven so far. I don't know if it's because it's faster, but it seems just to slide everywhere and I can't recover from any mistakes.

Any tips?

Ok. Advice please?

I think I'm doing ok so far considering its my first racing game - got 50 or so stars and just coming up to doing the Amateur trophy. I'm starting to understand the idea of the apex, that I don't need to break at every single corner flag I see and even a bit of drift. Ooo get me!

But I'm really struggling with the first race of the Italian Performance Cup. The recommended car seems to be a Maserati Gran Turismo and it just handles very differently from everything else I've driven so far. I don't know if it's because it's faster, but it seems just to slide everywhere and I can't recover from any mistakes.

Any tips?

The Maserati is a quite slippery car, it could be sliding for a couple of reasons:

1. You are braking and turning at the same time. Make sure you brake in straight lines whenever possible
2. You're accelerating too hard out of a turn/corner and spinning out.

It will slide a around a little at high speed during some of the shallower turns but you should be able to carefully control it.

I just want to vent just how fucking difficult it is to control Ariel Atom and KTM with a controller on the turn going from no gas to even part throttle; spin outs and spin outs oooooooofff

That's the issue, either be accelerating or braking and never free wheel with those cars. Tap the accelerator to get your power back on, even with a bit of brake if need be to control the acceleration.

i-Lo

That's the issue, either be accelerating or braking and never free wheel with those cars. Tap the accelerator to get your power back on, even with a bit of brake if need be to control the acceleration.

Yea, but it's such damn fine line; infuriated me during the India time trial in the Ignition tour.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The Maserati is a quite slippery car, it could be sliding for a couple of reasons:

1. You are braking and turning at the same time. Make sure you brake in straight lines whenever possible
2. You're accelerating too hard out of a turn/corner and spinning out.

It will slide a around a little at high speed during some of the shallower turns but you should be able to carefully control it.

Thanks!

Top Bottom