• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

sneaky77

OK I mentioned this a bit ago but I've had a bit more of a think on how it would work and have come up with the following :-

We create a GAF rally PSN user account whom the entrants send friend requests to.
On the night of the rally at a predetermined time 6 or 7 challenges will be sent out to all the entrants with 30 minute countdowns.
The entrants have to complete all 6 or 7 runs to compete.
The times are added up and the person with the lowest overall time is the winner.

Why is this cool? Because of the limited time, this will be who can take the pressure of completing all these runs quickly without mistakes - while there is a bit of time spare for someone to re-do one or two events, for most of the runs it'll be the best time over a single run.

I think all the challenges will be P2P courses, probably working up through the car classes and finishing with Hyper events.

So anyone interested and want to take part? Anyone see any issues, or ideas for improvements? Talk to me and let's make this happen! :)

Sounds pretty awesome for the times that I could make it.

Redcammao can I give you some honest advice? It's going to sound harsh but you need to know the truth. Stop telling people to stop posting videos on GAF. It makes you sound petty, whiny and childish and you are embarrassing your self.

lordxar

I'm down for some rally but 30 minutes for everyone across the globe is tough. May need to have a couple running the same day.

Ranger X

Just got an interesting message from someone on GAF on PSN saying the following

" Can I give you some honest advice? its going to sound harsh but you need to know the truth. Stop posting your videos on GAF because you are not a good player, you are embarrassing your self.

edit: Ah its the user Redcammao he is number 1 on the leader board on Tappaca reverse track at 3:11

he just sent me another message saying I will never beat his time and I should give up.

really?

LOL. Drama in the making.

"This summer, don't miss the new series: DRIVECLUB".

nib95

Banned
Just sent everyone a Hot Lap Club Challenge. Only an hour on it, so crack on! Managed to set this one using Dash cam which I tend not to use for time trial type events.

nib95

Banned
Getting a bit frustrated with the game at the moment. Not only does it feel like the new Tours are easier than past one's, and as such less fun, I'm also getting server offline issues intermittently. It's annoying because I went several weeks without any such issues, but suddenly in the last week or so I've had a few error messages.

Ted

Yes i have a homehub 3, it cannot be the reason alone though, why would just driveclub be affected?

i have mine connected with a ethernet cable as well.

EDIT- just tried the game & it will not even connect to let me see if there are any events in multiplayer!

Well I know getting BT to replace the router has worked for CaptainRizla - he went through all the usual stuff to get it to work with no joy (despite it being fine on other games) and going HH5 fixed it without any messing about.

Well I spent some time yesterday setting up and testing the Home Hub 5. It's quite a smart looking thing and my other half prefers it on an aesthetic level to my Netgear so there is immediately some benefit!

I only had half an hour or so of actual play time but there are definitely some improvements in my ability to get into and actually start an event (closer to two out of three rather than one out of five) and I even managed to stay in a couple for multiple races. The only problem is I had similar performance on Monday evening with the old setup so I can't /conclusively/ say the hub was the key change.

The HH5 also replaces the modem with an inbuilt unit. Given I tried several hubs with the same performance results but did not change the modem if there has been a hardware improvement at my end I actually now suspect it is likely to be this open reach modem and not the hub.

@AIAN, I don't think my tests are conclusive with regards to Driveclub but I will definitely say that HH5 with the inbuilt modem /is/ a better combination than HH3 and the open reach modem generally speaking.

If you do want to try a change, BT tried to charge me £45 for a replacement HH but I asked for an account review and after examining my package details we were able to actually save me a little money monthly (some of the privacy options I use are now free of charge) and move to an Infinity package that includes the HH5 if it were a new account.

I'll keep you updated as to whether this small but noticeable improvement remains steady (next big test is a weekend).

On another note, I saw an amusing new error I'd not seen before. I joined an event, finished the event and was waiting in the lobby for the next. One guys was yapping away on voice chat when I got a failed to connect to players error and was booted back to the event screen however the icon and text for the guy chatting remained in the corner of my screen until I restarted the game. I couldn't hear him but it was a little strange!

Thanks for all your help and feedback DHC, Captain Rizla and Le-Seb. It's not perfect but it's hopefully somewhat better.

Drifters

" Can I give you some honest advice? its going to sound harsh but you need to know the truth. Stop posting your videos on GAF because you are not a good player, you are embarrassing your self.

edit: Ah its the user Redcammao he is number 1 on the leader board on Tappaca reverse track at 3:11

he just sent me another message saying I will never beat his time and I should give up.

really?
Time to slay the dragon. What courses is he first on? I think we could grief him by knocking him out of his 1st place arrogance.

PepperedHam

So is it totally cool to just go down the DRIVECLUB-GAF friends list and add every living thing I see? Or would it be better to post my PSN here (LordHoag) to round up a few more requests from people who are more active?

Anyway, man, going back and forth between this and Mario Kart is damaging my skills in both games and I did not expect that to happen. I'm letting certain foods touch each other on my plate and it's fuckin with me lol.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Time to slay the dragon. What courses is he first on? I think we could grief him by knocking him out of his 1st place arrogance.

Haha thanks guys

I managed to reduce 4 seconds off my time! so I am getting closer.

the course is Chlli Tappaca reverse in the Mclaren 650s.

Auctopus

really?

Name and shame? Really hope it was Kie25, I would love it if he was a complete asshole.

Edit: sorry, just saw the name.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I hate my 4k tv. Like I hate it passionately. You guys will notice my older videos I have set some fantastic times. I never had to fight with the controls everything felt super smooth and responsive.

My new 4k tv has 40ms of input lag and when it comes to tight technical sections in driveclub or sections that require finesse, my TV simply cannot keep up and it feels like I am controlling a boat.

I might have to sell my 4k and buy a native 1080p tv. It is really bothering me.

Denur

really?
Would you have tried to better your time if he hadn't given you that advice in the way he did? For sure you wouldn't have posted it here and I wouldn't be trying to better his time now too.

And it's a pretty nice challenge for someone like me who has zero(?) experience driving this track in reverse.

I salute Redcommao for being (or playing to be) a complete arse.

Auctopus

THE PLOT THICKENS...
2015020516483501u3t.jpg

20150205164838gpuit.jpg

CJ did you order a (failed) unwarranted GAFCLUB time trial assassination? We're gonna need to see some receipts.

Bonus photo :)

Edit: Shit, my name. Oh well.

Ok we have Nibs, Shaneus, Bananafactory and Sneaky77 in so far - cheers guys.

I don't know what time zone everyone is based or if you have a preference for day and time for the event. I was thinking about 8pm Gmt.

I was also thinking we should time the events like it was a real day event, so the time for stage 1 is set at 6am, stage 2 at 9am and so on so we finish the rally with night events.

Bananafactory- I like the league idea but we'll need to do a couple of events first and gauge the interest - a league could have people dropping out and others wanting to join but defo something to consider for the future.

Another idea I was thinking of was having contributors specify the stage settings rather than 1 guy having all the inside knowledge - for this first event test if we got 7 entrants and everyone specified 1 stage then that would be cool :)

Twitch streaming! We could live broadcast the event!

Auctopus

I don't know what time zone everyone is based or if you have a preference for day and time for the event. I was thinking about 8pm Gmt.

I was also thinking we should time the events like it was a real day event, so the time for stage 1 is set at 6am, stage 2 at 9am and so on so we finish the rally with night events.

Bananafactory- I like the league idea but we'll need to do a couple of events first and gauge the interest - a league could have people dropping out and others wanting to join but defo something to consider for the future.

Another idea I was thinking of was having contributors specify the stage settings rather than 1 guy having all the inside knowledge - for this first event test if we got 7 entrants and everyone specified 1 stage then that would be cool :)

I won't be able to play too much soon so count me in.

Denur

I like the concept. 19:00 GMT or earlier would work better for me week days. Any morning or afternoon GMT time would work for me most weekends.

Eh crap I might have to bail out if you guys are EU :(

8 PM GMT is 1 PM here...I'll be in the middle of my work day. Don't get home until 2 AM GMT, lol.

Unless we do it on weekends...8 PM GMT on a Saturday or Sunday would likely be fine.

LoveCake

Well I spent some time yesterday setting up and testing the Home Hub 5. It's quite a smart looking thing and my other half prefers it on an aesthetic level to my Netgear so there is immediately some benefit!

I only had half an hour or so of actual play time but there are definitely some improvements in my ability to get into and actually start an event (closer to two out of three rather than one out of five) and I even managed to stay in a couple for multiple races. The only problem is I had similar performance on Monday evening with the old setup so I can't /conclusively/ say the hub was the key change.

The HH5 also replaces the modem with an inbuilt unit. Given I tried several hubs with the same performance results but did not change the modem if there has been a hardware improvement at my end I actually now suspect it is likely to be this open reach modem and not the hub.

@AIAN, I don't think my tests are conclusive with regards to Driveclub but I will definitely say that HH5 with the inbuilt modem /is/ a better combination than HH3 and the open reach modem generally speaking.

If you do want to try a change, BT tried to charge me £45 for a replacement HH but I asked for an account review and after examining my package details we were able to actually save me a little money monthly (some of the privacy options I use are now free of charge) and move to an Infinity package that includes the HH5 if it were a new account.

I'll keep you updated as to whether this small but noticeable improvement remains steady (next big test is a weekend).

On another note, I saw an amusing new error I'd not seen before. I joined an event, finished the event and was waiting in the lobby for the next. One guys was yapping away on voice chat when I got a failed to connect to players error and was booted back to the event screen however the icon and text for the guy chatting remained in the corner of my screen until I restarted the game. I couldn't hear him but it was a little strange!

Thanks for all your help and feedback DHC, Captain Rizla and Le-Seb. It's not perfect but it's hopefully somewhat better.

Ok thank you, i do not seem to be having much luck going on at BT about this issue at the moment, they are trying to fob me off.

T_Exige

Argh this drift in Scotland is hard. Can't get better then fifth place.
(drift challenge in the Icona Vulcano)

Romanemperor and Tibocart are almost always on top, these guys are good...

LoveCake

Will the season pass give me all the stuff/content currently in the DC store? i only have the free content so far, i have had a look & cannot find exactly what the season pass will give me.

Siegmeyer

I'd be in for this rally idea. UK here, haven't played much over the last fortnight as I've moved house but will be back on more often from now. Am pretty flexible with times too.

Thank you, I'm actually pretty excited to play it. Haven't played a racing game since GT5 which was too sim for me so I can't wait to try this out after reading the impressions of it kinda being a place in the middle between arcade and sim.

Add the following peeps on PSN, these are some of the active posters in here. You'll receive challenge invites from us which are the most addicting part of the game

Weak_Spot
CJ_SPARTA
NIBZY
viveksundaram
DHC-Shannow
zeroskater18 (me)
Unknown_Hero
Anthonynputson
Lukas_Japonicus
DidntKnowJack
krioto

Then add the Driveclub-GAF account and check its friend list if you're looking for more. Though keep in mind that some of the people on there may no longer be playing

Thank you, I'm actually pretty excited to play it. Haven't played a racing game since GT5 which was too sim for me so I can't wait to try this out after reading the impressions of it kinda being a place in the middle between arcade and sim.

Be warned, you may feel like you made the wrong decision when you first start playing. I remember thinking that the first few stages were quite dull. The visuals weren't wowing me, and the cars were too slow for my tastes, but trust me, the game gets better and better the more you progress.

And I'd recommend turning the HUD completely off. It makes it so much more immersive.

And yeah, just like bananafactory said, feel free to add me to your friends list. I haven't played much the past few days, but I'll be jumping on tomorrow.

Flaxh

Hi guys!

PGR is my favorite racing series and I was really excited when Driveclub was announced but all the problems at launch killed my hype.

I know a lot of patches have come out by now and I'd love to get some feedback about the game. How's the gameplay and online?

Thanks in advance

Top Bottom