• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

nib95

Banned
We are going to have to disagree. My experience is the AI indeed takes a good line and gets away with braking deep into the corner without consequences and comes out with a unrealistic shot of speed. Even if I have the line as well and positioned in front of him. The AI just jumps out on your hip and accelerates from behind you.

Care to post a video example of this? Honestly, I think with these sorts of discussions, videos are the best way for all to analyse, because right now only people on one side of this debate are posting any sort of proof to back up their opinions.

Alucrid

Banned
i think this game is too balanced for me to have fun in. i miss being able to take sports cars and blow through races against hatchbacks

nib95

Banned
Rushy, if you're reading, you asked what cars people would like added. I think this little beauty could be a great add to compete with the Caterham, KTM etc.

VUHL 05. Brand new Mexican sports roadster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5jsAZViZVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C58L2sXBQC8

GAZ_d994b5bf12ce465ea6420e24e021c461.jpg

VUHL-05-5.jpg

Rushy, if you're reading, you asked what cars people would like added. I think this little beauty could be a great add to compete with the Caterham, KTM etc.

I want some more American sports cars. Give me a Viper, a Camaro, a Shelby, a GT, shiiiit even a Challenger. We have the 'Vette but, it would be nice to have some muscle cars to race.

I also wouldn't mind a 370Z and a Spyder.

IKizzLE

TVR Cerbera Speed 12-Hyper
4.jpg

Saleen S7 Twin Turbo-Hyper
2008SALEEN_S7_TWINTURBO_1.jpg

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport-Hyper
track11-1278259808-1280x853.jpg

SRT Viper GTS-Super
2013-srt-viper-gts-rear-three-quarter.jpg

Ford GT-Performance
1321734775-Ford-GT.jpg

Lexus LFA-Performance
lexus-lfa-09.jpg

Nissan GTR Nismo-Super
2015-nissan-gt-r-nismo-rear-three-quarters.jpg

Acura NSX-Performance
2015_Acura_NSX-2-1536.jpg

Dodge Challenger Hellcat-Super
dodge-challenger-hellcat.jpg

Cadillac CTS-V-Performance
2015-Cadillac-CTS-V-coupe-02-626x382.jpg

Chevy Camaro ZL1-Performance
2012_Chevrolet_CamaroZL11.jpg

Ferrari F50 GT-Hyper
1996-ferrari-f50-gt.jpg

Ferrari FXX-Hyper
michael_schumacher_black_ferrari_fxx.jpg

SSC Tuatara-Hyper
SSC-Tuatara-White.jpg

Shelby Cobra-Sport
6.jpg

Toyota GT-One-Hyper
toyota-gt-one-8150.jpg

Infiniti G37 IPL-Sport
2011-infiniti-g37-coupe-ipl-live-from-pebble-beach_100318972_l.jpg

Jaguar F-type R-Performance
2015-Jaguar-F-Type-R-Coupe-2.jpg

Koenigsegg One:1-Hyper
2015-Koenigsegg-HD-Background-Wallpaper.jpg

Lamborghini Diablo GT-Super
7f3fbddc3dc8ae047192667ca8bf4995.jpg

Lamborghini Murcielago SuperVeloce-Super
2009_lamborghini_murcielago_lp670_4_sv__gt5__by_vertualissimo-d5igdwm.jpg

Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera-Super
gal_lp570-4_superleg_et_ov_1_1920x1080v2.jpg

Lamborghini Huracan-Super
2015-lamborghini-huracan-rear-three-quarter.jpg

Lamborghini Aventador-Hyper
Lamborghini-Aventador-Hd-Wallpapers-Free-Download-1.jpg

Tesla Model S P85D-Super
tesla-model-s-p85d.jpg

Maserati MC12-Super
040230M_01.jpg

Mazda Furai-Hyper
Mazda-Furai-5.jpg

Mosler MT900s-Super
mosler-mt900-gtr-xx--11_1280x0w.jpg

Noble M600-Hyper
Noble_M600.jpg

Caparo T1-Hyper
Caparo-T1_2006_1280x960_wallpaper_01.jpg

Subaru Impreza WRX STI-Sport
Subaru-WRX_STI-2015-wallpaper.jpg

2016 Saleen Mustang-Performance
maxresdefault.jpg

Ferrari LaFerrari-Hyper
07-laferrari.jpg

Mercedes Benz CLK GTR-Hyper
3386613.jpg

2015 Honda Civic Type R-Hot Hatch
honda-civic-type-r-concept-2014-geneva-motor-show_100458475_l.jpg

2016 Ford Focus RS-Sport
t6rsws42qnonj7co7sgr.jpg

Ferrari 488 GTB-Super
m0uwiaivxfxb1nqfaxfi.jpg

Lamborghini Asterion-Hyper
lamborghini-asterion-04-1.jpg

You got it Evo? Cool!

IKizzLE

If the Toyota GT1 makes it in the game, it's game over for all the other hyper cars imo.

Actually, out of all the potential hyper cars I just mentioned, the Toyota GT1 would be the slowest. 600 hp, 0-60 in 3.2 s and 235 mph.

The saleen twin turbo has 1000 hp and handles like a dream, and the speed 12 is super light and 1000 hp.
The Caparo T1 and the F50 GT would be the fastest. Actually, perhaps the FXX and Tuatara?!? Hmmmm...EVO ADD THEM ALL!!!!

Edit: Fastest car would be the Caparo T1. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, 0-100 in 4.9 seconds. Top speed 200 mph. Has 2.5x more hp than the BAC Mono and is the same weight.

Actually, out of all the potential hyper cars I just mentioned, the Toyota GT1 would be the slowest. 600 hp, 0-60 in 3.2 s and 235 mph.

The saleen twin turbo has 1000 hp and handles like a dream, and the speed 12 is super light and 1000 hp.
The Caparo T1 and the F50 GT would be the fastest. Actually, perhaps the FXX and Tuatara?!? Hmmmm...EVO ADD THEM ALL!!!!

Edit: Fastest car would be the Caparo T1. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, 0-100 in 4.9 seconds. Top speed 200 mph. Has 2.5x more hp than the BAC Mono and is the same weight.

Dude why no Laferrari??

IKizzLE

Solid list iKizzle. I'd add the Porsche 918 Spyder to it though, then we complete the true Hyper car trio.

porsche_918_spyder_52a313b50cd39.jpg

I was thinking of adding the 918 but no way will Evo get the Porsche license. No body has that license(forza/gt/grid/etc) thanks to EA's iron clad grip.
Same reason why I didn't add the new Ford GT because Microsoft most likely paid for exclusive rights to have that car appear first in their game, which is out this fall.

I was thinking of adding the 918 but no way will Evo get the Porsche license.
Same reason why I didn't add the new Ford GT because Microsoft most likely paid for exclusive rights to have that car appear first in their game, which is out this fall.
When does the EA deal come to an end?

valkyre

Not to come off as harsh, but so many of the things you've mentioned about the AI are in my experience untrue, but this particular excerpt is the most off key. I'd imagine in these races that you feel the AI is magically catching up, you're simply not racing as good as you think you are, or that your exit speed on certain corners is not as fast as you think it is. I have had countless examples where I've been 5+ seconds ahead of the AI, even in the harder races towards the end of Tours. Hell, some of them I've been 10-15 seconds ahead of the AI, so it is not true that they will magically catch up. They will only ever catch up if you're not hitting the ideal sectors or lap times.

Evolution themselves have said that there is no rubber banding in the game, though we do know that there is some level of dynamic AI (the AI racing better or worse depending on how well the player is racing, but never beyond their vehicles means, or beyond the realm of their capable physics).

This is exactly what happens:

We are going to have to disagree. My experience is the AI indeed takes a good line and gets away with braking deep into the corner without consequences and comes out with a unrealistic shot of speed. Even if I have the line as well and positioned in front of him. The AI just jumps out on your hip and accelerates from behind you.

Not always, but from what I understand it happens when the A.I. suddenly kicks into "superspeed mode", because you are playing well and you are about to come first. This whole "you obviously think you are driving good but you are not", does not apply and its kinda insulting after having completely smashed all game's challenges... I honestly dont believe many here have some of the lap times I have in time trial challenges to accuse me of poor skill.

I exit a corner faster I hit the accelerator before the A.I. does(I can actually see the god damn car ahead closing in like I am ready to swallow it completely) with a much faster car and yet magically the A.I. slingshots and is side by side with me, even though I say again, I am driving a much faster more powerful car that if you look at real life videos, completely smokes the A.I.'s car.

Granted, this doesnt happen always, it just happens when the A.I. decides that it has to go into higher "skill" mode or something like that, because you are about to come first or something. It is the same principle of the example that you can give the A.I. a head start of a lap, and yet be able to catch them up and finish 1st. The A.I. will on the fly change the way it is driving, other times driving like a dimwit and other times driving unrealistically fast in certain parts and situations.

And also, really... I believe this part of my post says everything there is to say about skill, A.I. and how poor it is. Seriously test it yourself and get back to me, telling me the A.I. is even remotely good in this game...

Frankly, your skill plays little to no role at all in racing events. You could play excellent the entire race and just do a simple mistake on the last turn and lose the race, and you can play crashing the car in every damn corner in the entire race , save for the last couple of turns and finish first....

This renders the whole "skill" thing useless in this game.

PS: In regards to future cars, leave everything else for later and just give priority to LaFerrari for the game ! :D

nib95

Banned
Like I said Valkyre, rather than us just regurgitating the same points, and agreeing to disagree, I think it would be more fruitful to your point if you could post some video examples of the things you speak of, because I myself have probably 100+ hours in to the game and do not agree about the AI's magic acceleration. I do agree that drafting was too strong (they've toned it down now), but never that they had artificial acceleration. If they ever accelerated out of a corner faster than me, I know it's because they either had a better line with a faster exit speed, or because their car simply has faster acceleration.

On a side note, another thing I'll have to disagree with, and that I find highly contradictory based on other points brought up, is that I feel the game is literally all about skill. Barging your way in to the AI over and over is only going to get you so far. In-fact, most Twitch streams are full of people doing this, but doing poorly in races either way.

You can certainly game the AI, which does require skill in itself to be fair, as it's a very precarious line between profiting from abusing the AI and landing yourself in trouble (e.g., penalties, worse lines, slower speeds etc). Even if you did use aggressive tactics to get in to the lead, the complaint was that the AI catch up too easily, but the thing is, they don't, depending entirely on one's skill. If you don't have 'skill', they will very easily catch up and very easily take you over. However, if you do have skill, know the track, race lines, braking points, your vehicles personal characteristics and limits etc very well, you will continue to build that momentum and lead. However, one or two mistakes and you stand to just as quickly lose it. If that's not a component of skill, I don't know what is.

T_Exige

The Ferrari Enzo event in India has another sort of AI, I had to try 3 times to even being able to catch the first car. He drives like crazy, but when you get past him, he starts losing his crazy driving. For me it was the hardest event on the tour...

Besides that, they should add some "fun" cars like a Lotus Elise, Mazda MX5 or Honda S2000. Though I approve the list of cars above :) , but if you have a GT-ONE, you can't miss the Nissan R390 Road car.

valkyre

Like I said Valkyre, rather than us just regurgitating the same points, and agreeing to disagree, I think it would be more fruitful to your point if you could post some video examples of the things you speak of, because I myself have probably 100+ hours in to the game and do not agree about the AI's magic acceleration. I do agree that drafting was too strong (they've toned it down now), but never that they had artificial acceleration. If they ever accelerated out of a corner faster than me, I know it's because they either had a better line with a faster exit speed, or because their car simply has faster acceleration.

On a side note, another thing I'll have to disagree with, and that I find highly contradictory based on other points brought up, is that I feel the game is literally all about skill. Barging your way in to the AI over and over is only going to get you so far. In-fact, most Twitch streams are full of people doing this, but doing poorly in races either way.

You can certainly game the AI, which does require skill in itself to be fair, as it's a very precarious line between profiting from abusing the AI and landing yourself in trouble (e.g., penalties, worse lines, slower speeds etc). Even if you did use aggressive tactics to get in to the lead, the complaint was that the AI catch up too easily, but the thing is, they don't, depending entirely on one's skill. If you don't have 'skill', they will very easily catch up and very easily take you over. However, if you do have skill, know the track, race lines, braking points, your vehicles personal characteristics and limits etc very well, you will continue to build that momentum and lead. However, one or two mistakes and you stand to just as quickly lose it. If that's not a component of skill, I don't know what is.

The only reason I am regurgitating the same points, is because they havent been addressed yet imho.

To the example you give above at the end of your post, what happens when you start the same race, drive like crap the entire time and yet somehow, be able to finsih in first position with a time that is like 20 seconds worst than your first run where you drove amazing save for a mistake in the final turn?

What does that tell you about the A.I.?

That skill is pretty much irrelevant really and that the A.I. works with a "on-off" mode dependent on your performance.

As for video evidence, I am at work at the moment and will be for the next 9-10 hours. I dont know if I will be bothered to go ahead and record/post a video today, but I will try.. I can understand this is GAF and you have to back up what you say, and I actually support this notion, but I have no reason to lie or "hate" the game for no reason.

Remember that in order for me to go through and obtain all stars in the game 495/495 I certainly have some skill (that is why I consider the skill comments somewhat unecessary) and I certainly dont hate the game. Now if you dont believe my 100% completion I can send you via pm mia PSN id and check it out yourselves.

Will see if I can make the video tonight.

nib95

Banned
The only reason I am regurgitating the same points, is because they havent been addressed yet imho.

To the example you give above at the end of your post, what happens when you start the same race, drive like crap the entire time and yet somehow, be able to finsih in first position with a time that is like 20 seconds worst than your first run where you drove amazing save for a mistake in the final turn?

What does that tell you about the A.I.?

That skill is pretty much irrelevant really and that the A.I. works with a "on-off" mode dependent on your performance.

As for video evidence, I am at work at the moment and will be for the next 9-10 hours. I dont know if I will be bothered to go ahead and record/post a video today, but I will try.. I can understand this is GAF and you have to back up what you say, and I actually support this notion, but I have no reason to lie or "hate" the game for no reason.

Remember that in order for me to go through and obtain all stars in the game 495/495 I certainly have some skill (that is why I consider the skill comments somewhat unecessary) and I certainly dont hate the game. Now if you dont believe my 100% completion I can send you via pm mia PSN id and check it out yourselves.

Will see if I can make the video tonight.

But this is mostly is irrelevant to the point regarding skill, and not something that is necessarily even being contended. Everyone agrees that this game has some level of dynamic AI (what people disagree on is whether or not this constitutes as rubber banding), in other words AI that adjusts it's difficulty level dependant on how good or bad the player is. That doesn't mean that skill is removed from the equation, as the AI will still always put up a challenge relative to the players own skill level or position.

In other words, yes, you could race at a crawl for a large chunk of a race, and then if you suddenly started racing really well, there is a possibility you could reach first place, but you'd need still need skill to do it. The moment you started racing better, the AI would adjust to a higher difficulty, thus immediately posing more of a challenge and requiring more skill. It's still far more advantageous however to race your best from the very beginning, to try and build up a greater lead and error buffer as early as possible, than it is to race really bad for a chunk of the race, only to race better towards the end. The dynamic AI is largely inconsequential to the discussion regarding the requirement of skill. It is implemented to assist those who are much less skilled at the game, not those who are more skilled.

valkyre

But this is mostly is irrelevant to the point regarding skill, and not something that is necessarily even being contended. Everyone agrees that this game has some level of dynamic AI (what people disagree on is whether or not this constitutes as rubber banding), in other words AI that adjusts it's difficulty level dependant on how good or bad the player is. That doesn't mean that skill is removed from the equation, as the AI will still always put up a challenge relative to the players own skill level or position.

In other words, yes, you could race at a crawl for a large chunk of a race, and then if you suddenly started racing really well, there is a possibility you could reach first place, but you'd need still need skill to do it. The moment you started racing better, the AI would adjust to a higher difficulty, thus immediately posing more of a challenge and requiring more skill. It's still far more advantageous however to race your best from the very beginning, to try and build up a greater lead and error buffer as early as possible, than it is to race really bad for a chunk of the race, only to race better towards the end. The dynamic AI is largely inconsequential to the discussion regarding the requirement of skill. It is implemented to assist those who are much less skilled at the game, not those who are more skilled.

But this whole thing that you perfectly describe now, is what is a major turn off to me, among others as well.

It breaks the immersion to me in many different levels. It feels fake and not satisfying to know that I can drive like crap and have the same result while driving superbly. It renders the whole process ki nda pointless.

I enjoyed immensely the games challenges , time trials and even drift events etc. Time Trials even urged me to go manual transmission in order to improve further my times (by the way I recommend trying out manual transmission to those who havent already, it might look like a pain at the beginning but it makes driving so much more satisfying) and I had a blast tackling the most difficult ones.

It is just that the actual racing and the way the "dynamic" A.I. thing works is really not doing it for me. That part of Driveclub is very bad in my opinion. Any racing game that basically makes it easier to win by crashing your way through the field (and lots of them do that GT included) is making me cringe. Driveclub adds the dynamic AI thing in the mix and just about does it for me.

nib95

Banned
But this whole thing that you perfectly describe now, is what is a major turn off to me, among others as well.

It breaks the immersion to me in many different levels. It feels fake and not satisfying to know that I can drive like crap and have the same result while driving superbly. It renders the whole process ki nda pointless.

I enjoyed immensely the games challenges , time trials and even drift events etc. Time Trials even urged me to go manual transmission in order to improve further my times (by the way I recommend trying out manual transmission to those who havent already, it might look like a pain at the beginning but it makes driving so much more satisfying) and I had a blast tackling the most difficult ones.

It is just that the actual racing and the way the "dynamic" A.I. thing works is really not doing it for me. That part of Driveclub is very bad in my opinion. Any racing game that basically makes it easier to win by crashing your way through the field (and lots of them do that GT included) is making me cringe. Driveclub adds the dynamic AI thing in the mix and just about does it for me.

And I respect that sentiment of yours. But think of it this way, it's a feature of the AI that will never affect you or I. It's not made for those of us who race well, it's made for those of us who can't race well, or who are really bad at the game. It's pretty much something we'll never even notice. As I said above, it's still far more advantageous to race your best from the very beginning. Artificially slowing yourself down, only to speed up mid way in a race, basically just gives you less time to reach first place, and less time to make mistakes.

Anarion07

So many beginners would simply lose interest in the game because they'd never win a race, if AI was always the way it is while racing Vaga, nib, viveks or me for example.
I think it's a great system.
It allows for everyone to have fun in the game and win every other race, even if you're "bad".

valkyre

And I respect that sentiment of yours. But think of it this way, it's a feature of the AI that will never affect you or I. It's not made for those of us who race well, it's made for those of us who can't race well, or who are really bad at the game. It's pretty much something we'll never even notice. As I said above, it's still far more advantageous to race your best from the very beginning. Artificially slowing yourself down, only to speed up mid way in a race, basically just gives you less time to reach first place, and less time to make mistakes.

But here is the thing. Racing my best from the beginning will most probably result in some type of crash. Either because the A.I. in front of me will slow down inexplicably hard during the apex of a corner, or because the A.I. behind me will slam behind me due to the fact I break as hard to avoid the collision with the A.I. in front.

I have the suspicion that the way the dynamic A.I. works is that all cars that are behind you are racing you hard, and the guys in front of you slow down more than they should in order for you to be able to keep up. Granted this is just a suspicion , it doesn happen everytime, but it does happen. I slow down as much as the A.I. in front of me does, we go slow around the apex of a corner because he just goes way to slow, and the A.I. behind me slams to the back of my car. No this isnt because I hit the brakes early. It is just because A.I. in front is in different setting/mode/whatnot than the A.I. behind.

It's just messy all around. I like to have clean races, I like my overtaking to be proper, legit, not using the opponent's car as a wall and scuffing my way through the field. And the way Driveclub is setup, it actually encourages and even rewards the player driving like a total racing scumbag.

I know the predicaments of designing an A.I. that is fun, challenging, accessible and also forgiving. But the way Driveclub mixes this whole thing is not to my liking. Photorealistic graphics dont help either because at times Driveclub can produce such a real scenery that engages full immersion (kudos for that) only for the A.I. to break the illusion :/

Ultibreaker

Neo Member

Oh trust it's not about HP and top speed at all... When it comes to stopping on a dime and accelerating out the corner, we have a problem with that car.

TVR Cerbera Speed 12
4.jpg

<car porn>

You got it Evo? Cool!

Some lovely cars there dude, hope some (if not all) get in the game. Gotta say tho, as much as I like TVR's, the Cerbera looks like it was made in a shed in Blackpool...

Has anyone got any suggestions for the multi player events, any particular track & car combinations they'd like to be able to race multiplayer? There were a few complaints last night about the server lists not changing and being a Ferrari fest on the same old tracks so it'd be good to make some suggestions on here for Evo to incorporate. I've not seen enough races with the new Caterham in personally, and generally can't get enough of Sinclair Pass / Yedapalli / Lake Shoji events....

Drac

Adaptive AI should be a toggle in a menu somewhere. Yes some people like to have it easy and be able to recover a crash with a reverse rubber banding but some of us don't. I'm with valkyre on that, I don't get much satisfaction from races, but I love time trial and drift challenge. I don't like hand holding, if I suck, I like the game to make it known to me so I can improve, not give me a medal for participating. The AI should drive at the best of its ability, always, and never wait for you (it also should have more awareness of your driving line).
I like it rough (but not in a bumper car kind of way) ! Let's complete this post with a bad cliche and say Driveclub need a little of demon soul !

valkyre

The AI should drive at the best of its ability, always, and never wait for you (it also should have more awareness of your driving line).

Agreed. And in this particular part of your post in bold, this is one of the major reasons as to why collisions with A.I. are common, hard to avoid and totally unfair for the player.

The A.I.is almost completely oblivious to the space you occupy on the road. They will blindly follow the racing line and if you so happen to be in their way they will just hit you. Most common example is when you are side by side with the A.I. and a corner is approaching, the A.I. will simply take its position to the racing line , ignoring the fact that you are actually in it. The result is that while you are going your way properly in your racing line the A.I. on your side will bump you before the corner approaches to get to the racing line.

And that is just one example where the A.I. just doesnt adjust its driving behavior based on the space you occupy. Almost always they will not try to avoid contact with you unless you simply cut them off hard, scumbag style. If you are trying to race properly they will hit you a lot of times, even though you have the better position, the proper overtaking behavior etc etc.

Some lovely cars there dude, hope some (if not all) get in the game. Gotta say tho, as much as I like TVR's, the Cerbera looks like it was made in a shed in Blackpool...

Has anyone got any suggestions for the multi player events, any particular track & car combinations they'd like to be able to race multiplayer? There were a few complaints last night about the server lists not changing and being a Ferrari fest on the same old tracks so it'd be good to make some suggestions on here for Evo to incorporate. I've not seen enough races with the new Caterham in personally, and generally can't get enough of Sinclair Pass / Yedapalli / Lake Shoji events....

Remember seeing one at Silverstone at the Top Gear show, was amazing. But yeah build quality was lacking. Such a shame for the company to go the way it did.

le-seb

The A.I.is almost completely oblivious to the space you occupy on the road. They will blindly follow the racing line and if you so happen to be in their way they will just hit you. Most common example is when you are side by side with the A.I. and a corner is approaching, the A.I. will simply take its position to the racing line , ignoring the fact that you are actually in it. The result is that while you are going your way properly in your racing line the A.I. on your side will bump you before the corner approaches to get to the racing line.
I'm not sure why you'd expect the A.I. to not fight for its position.
Also, bold part is simply untrue, as demonstrated in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKNHjNDhwIo

valkyre

I'm not sure why you'd expect the A.I. to not fight for its position.
Also, bold part is simply untrue, as demonstrated in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKNHjNDhwIo

Really now?

Come on man, you think I cannot distinguish when someone is legitimately fighting for his position and when its just pure driving idiocy?

Read my description better. I am in my racing line driving straight ahead. I have the position to defend. It is me who has the clear advantage since I am in the racing line. We havent yet reached the corner and the A.I. which is side by side to me simply moves in my racing line as if I was never there. I am not turning my wheel, he does. He literally bumps me as if I am not there... there is defending your position and there is just scumbag racing. I assure you if this was a "real" racing incident, the A.I. would be black flagged instantly... A fellow gaffer posted a video of the situation a few posts before. You can look it up.

As for the video provided, I have no sound at the moment (still at work) so I dont know if there is commentary but I have the following observations:

a) The parts where he stands in the way and the A.I. avoids him, is not something that I addressed/criticized. When speaking about the A.I. being oblivious to your driving line, I obviously am referring to the actual driving, incidents like the one I mentioned above, not me being simply parked in the middle of the street... If the A.I. was not able to even avoid me in such a situation it would be ludicrous...

b) Most of the times he is overtaking he is actually bumping on to the A.I. (and the A.I. bumps into him as well), something that is mostly the reason we are having this conversation in the first place. Sure he doesnt do it aggressively, but he does it and that is the foundation of my original post.

however:

c) I would like to know what settings he is using for the difficulty of the A.I. I will admit I saw some A.I. behavior that just doesnt happen often when I am playing, mainly the fact that they seem to give you some breathing space when they are side by side with you in corners, like trying to avoid contact. I havent noticed that happening during my time with the game. Either that is a specific A.I. setting (although I believe I pretty much tried them all), or it happens rarely. It is interesting though.

le-seb

Really now?

Come on man, you think I cannot distinguish when someone is legitimately fighting for his position and when its just pure driving idiocy?

Read my description better. I am in my racing line driving straight ahead. I have the position to defend. It is me who has the clear advantage since I am in the racing line. We havent yet reached the corner and the A.I. which is side by side to me simply moves in my racing line as if I was never there. I am not turning my wheel, he does. He literally bumps me as if I am not there... there is defending your position and there is just scumbag racing. I assure you if this was a "real" racing incident, the A.I. would be black flagged instantly... A fellow gaffer posted a video of the situation a few posts before. You can look it up.
This, you mean?
ibvdqYl0sMMfvX.gif

How is the A.I. not ahead of the player when this happens?

What I'm seeing here: the A.I. is taking a wide corner while the player is taking the rails, and that's the player who's cutting the A.I.'s trajectory.
So once again, not sure why you would complain in this situation: you're behind and it's up to you braking to avoid the car in front of you.

valkyre

This, you mean?
ibvdqYl0sMMfvX.gif

How is the A.I. not ahead of the player when this happens?

What I'm seeing here: the A.I. is taking a wide corner while the player is taking the rails, and that's the player who's cutting the A.I.'s trajectory.
So once again, not sure why you would complain in this situation: you're behind and it's up to you braking to avoid the car in front of you.

This is one example yes.

The A.I. in this situation would be black flagged / penalized if this was a racing incident. If it wanted to complete the proper overtaking maneuver, it would be to hold its line, brake late, take the inside and force the player to concede the position. You never try to force your overtake by cutting of the driving line in such a way as is happening here. The A.I. literally makes contact with the player in a manner that has no place in the racing world. It is a scumbag move and one that clearly asks for an accident to happen.

And just to be clear, the A.I. doesnt have to be slightly in front of you as happens in this case, to act in such manner. They will do the exact same thing even if you are the one who is clearly in front. As long as they are side by side with you, they will bump you to get to the racing line. If this was a stock car racing game perhaps you could get away with something like this, but in proper racing world, such maneuvers are simply not tolerated, and for a good reason.

Also, in racing world, just because you are in front, doesnt mean that you can act like a total ass and that it is just the responsibility of the one following you to avoid contact.... this stuff applies to real world normal driving situations, because you are supposed to maintain proper distance from the vehicle in front of you, because you are not racing, but driving, uing your car as a means of transportation... In racing world, both the one in front and the one behind have certain responsibilities and behavior that they must respect and there are rules to follow.

IKizzLE

Oh trust it's not about HP and top speed at all... When it comes to stopping on a dime and accelerating out the corner, we have a problem with that car.
This would be the case, if the game was a sim. In this game, hp and weight trump everything. It's the reason why the venom gt is the fastest car in the hyper class and the enzo is the slowest; no amount of cornering ability and brake bias will matter in a game when differences in handling have a an overall negligible effect on lap times. And in terms of acceleration period, the gt one has been outclassed handily since its debut. The race car version is a slightly different story however.

Denur

I think valkyre has a point regarding the AI. I'm a decent racer and usually slip by the AI cars after a few corners (even on legend), so they don't bother me. Now I've done a bit of experimentation in one-on-one races (still on legend) and I'm getting the feeling that the AI simply has a very slow reaction time. If you're just sitting on the ideal line, they will avoid you, but even when you're going very slowly though a corner (while in front), they will still hit you midway through that corner. I think I have simply been, unconsciously, anticipating their behavior and that that is one of the reasons that AI hasn't been much of a bother to me. If I were to guess, I'd say that the AI calculate the actions (braking points, driving line, etc.) to be taken for a corner, just before entering that corner and that there are no mid-corner corrections.

And on another note, I haven't played DC much since the last update and was shocked to get three stars on my very first "Welcome to Japan" run, while hitting walls and missing apexes all over the place. Another great PlayStation racing game gone down the drain, just to please the masses. (but thank god for the challenges)

IKizzLE

Updated my car list with what I think each car class would be.

Edit: Geneva pre-car show happening RIGHT NOW and O BOY....gonna add some more cars lol.

IKizzLE

That depends on the track.

Outside of like 2 or 3 tracks where outliers such as the Twin Run and open wheel cars such as the bac mono, and caterham succeed, most of the time if you want to compete at the highest level, you will need to use cars such as the Mazzanti Evantra, Ruf RT12R, Ariel Atom, Venom GT, Zonda R over "better" handling cars in their respective classes.
The GT-One would dominate the hyper class as much as the enzo/ruf clubsport and fxx evolutionize does....which is pretty much never.

You can always friend me and we can race online to test this stuff out. PSN: IKizzLE.

Remember seeing one at Silverstone at the Top Gear show, was amazing. But yeah build quality was lacking. Such a shame for the company to go the way it did.

That episode of Top Gear was on Dave last night where they go visit the abandoned Lotus, Jenson and TVR factories - so sad to see. Go on Evo, get one in the game!

Ranger X

2 questions:

1- The fuss with rubberband AI again? 99.9% of racing games have that, sims included. You guys must not like Gran Turismo series that's for sure.

2- Slam racing is new or what? Its the bane of those types of arcade racers. Extremely small races + tight goals = slam racing. I've played that countless times. Why a fuss in Driveclub?

Auctopus

2- Slam racing is new or what? Its the bane of those types of arcade racers. Extremely small races + tight goals = slam racing. I've played that countless times. Why a fuss in Driveclub?

Slam Trials has become a thing as well. Due to Evo's decision to patch out environment collision slowdown, racers can now 'grind' round the barrier on turns at full speed.

nib95

Banned
This is one example yes.

The A.I. in this situation would be black flagged / penalized if this was a racing incident.

Actually, no it wouldn't, not in real life either. The AI in this instance holds the leading position and starts it's manoeuvre before the player does, therefore there'd be just as much onus on the player attempting the overtake to allow room to the AI as their would the AI to allow room for the overtaking player. The only reason the AI even hits the players car is because it is in the middle of a drift and sliding inwards. In this instance I doubt either vehicle would be penalised in real life. It's just one of those natural incidents that does often occur in racing.

Man, i'm buzzing now, had a very productive hour! Just done the Norwegian Lightweight on the first try with my beloved Mono despite a spin on the final corner of the first race losing me 2 places and about 6 seconds, had to go back to get the lap time on the second track and the warnings about the Atom were unfounded, the Mono wrecks it in the corners so even the masssive straights aren't enough for it to catch up.

After that i thought i'd see just how bad the Venom Hot Lap is and i can see why people say it's so hard. Attempt 25 got me 1:16:028 which was a little frustrating but a couple more runs and i (just) broke the 1:16 mark with sweaty palms. Most annoying is my best sector times put me over half a second faster than that but getting a complete lap without a mistake was proving elusive.

Holy fucking shit. I'm a fulltime lurker and have never posted in here but my god, the last race in the elements championship. I feared every turn, every time I accelerated or braked it was pure panic. My eyes literally hurt from not blinking. So happy I met all the requirements for the trophy..that is something I'll never attempt again!

Top Bottom