• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I really hope this game succeeds and more awareness is created of how incredible it is. Almost 5 months later and those graphics still give me the tingles. I still shake my head in disbelief at certain times by the environments and lighting that Evo has created.

The gameplay could have been generic and uninspired but even that is outrageously good. Those hypercars, the sense of speed and the way the camera violently shakes and bumps over uneven surfaces is extremely memorable for me. I have an embarrasingly large amount of Driveclub gameplay vids on my harddrive that I watch everyday whilst listening to copious amounts of terrible 80's guilty pleasures.

I need to lie down.

Here's the vid of a fantastic race I had around Kobago against a couple of randoms who were excellent clean drivers :)

http://youtu.be/bts8k1Oa53w

Th first couple of laps weren't the greatest on my part (only 3rd time I'd driven the track and I kept cocking up on the double apex left hander) but those last 2 laps were brilliant, I especially like the audacity of Trouble2000 to come back around the outside of me after I'd finally passed him! Can't wait for private servers so we can have more races like this.
Trouble2000 is a bugger. They are very competitive on my favourite track where I have loads of top times.

My internet connection better be back by Saturday!

Also, Rushy - the DS4 emulation of the touch pad on the Vita in Remote Play is a bit poop when you're in an event.

When browsing the menus you can tap any part of it and it recognises it nicely and sends you to the Home menu, but in an event I have to tap several times for it to recognise it to enter Photo Mode or Reset.

Anyone else experienced that?

Trouble2000 is a bugger. They are very competitive on my favourite track where I have loads of top times.

My internet connection better be back by Saturday!

Also, Rushy - the DS4 emulation of the touch pad on the Vita in Remote Play is a bit poop when you're in an event.

When browsing the menus you can tap any part of it and it recognises it nicely and sends you to the Home menu, but in an event I have to tap several times for it to recognise it to enter Photo Mode or Reset.

Anyone else experienced that?

Eeek no internet connection! Better get that sorted bud!

I had no idea the Vita touchscreen worked at all in DC, never got any response when I tried it last so haven't tried since.

Eeek no internet connection! Better get that sorted bud!

I had no idea the Vita touchscreen worked at all in DC, never got any response when I tried it last so haven't tried since.
It's been gone for 3 days! So I've been sobbing in bed on the Vita.

I too thought it didn't work but for some reason I decided to just keep jabbing it, eventually it put me into Photo Mode.

Melchiah

Here's the vid of a fantastic race I had around Kobago against a couple of randoms who were excellent clean drivers :)

Th first couple of laps weren't the greatest on my part (only 3rd time I'd driven the track and I kept cocking up on the double apex left hander) but those last 2 laps were brilliant, I especially like the audacity of Trouble2000 to come back around the outside of me after I'd finally passed him! Can't wait for private servers so we can have more races like this.

It looked like (s)he tried to block you from passing him/her several times. I bet it must have hurt to end up on the 3rd place.

It looked like (s)he tried to block you from passing him/her several times. I bet it must have hurt to end up on the 3rd place.

I think Trouble drove a firm but fair race - he shut the door on me a few times and give me a bit of a squeeze on the straight but nothing to be unhappy about. As the lead car he has the right to pick his line through the bend. The time I did hit him (and lost a place swerving to try to avoid him) I think was a connection glitch as he reappears quite a bit further down the track.

Melchiah

I think Trouble drove a firm but fair race - he shut the door on me a few times and give me a bit of a squeeze on the straight but nothing to be unhappy about. As the lead car he has the right to pick his line through the bend. The time I did hit him (and lost a place swerving to try to avoid him) I think was a connection glitch as he reappears quite a bit further down the track.

Ah, ok. It seemed a bit different to me.

thenexus6

I've only had this game a couple of weeks its super impressive so far.

Slick, nice UI - everything works well
The music is really great in the menus
The in race challenges are well done and add value to the game
There is so many events it'll keep me busy for ages
The team time trial multiplayer event is awesome

Shame clubs are only like 6 people, seems little stupid

I will get the season pass when it goes on sale next.

I do that against the AI myself, but against other players it just seems like a douchebag tactic to me.

Well there's no driveclub rules of the road so I guess we all have different interpretations of what is fair. To me he just took his racing line for the bend and if there was a collision it would have been because I was going for a gap that was no longer there. When I did pass him it was as he'd run wide and left a gap.

He didn't swerve on the straights or deliberately hit me - this is better than at least 50% of the drivers you be up against online. In the previous race he backed out of the inside line and let me take the bend without causing a crash (I was amazed as you never see this). Often you are forced to drive defensively and take bad lines for corners simply to give the person behind you less of a target. The frustrating element to driving with friends is the random grid - if my clubmates are at the front of the grid and I'm at the back then the race is over before its began as you need a massive slice of luck to negotiate the banger racing pack quickly enough to give yourself a chance of catching the good drivers.

So, I've been playing DC for a few days now and I noticed that I wasn't accelerating fast enough when compared to AI or players in the same car. This was particularly evident when accelerating in a straight line, during a time trial.

I thought I needed the switch to manual shifting to increase my acceleration times but that didn't help infact my scrubby imperfect shifting slowed me further. After fiddling around for quite some time, I concluded that R2 key of my controller was't registering as fully actuated which led to a slower than normal acceleration. Swapping it with R1 seems to have fixed the issue.

I thought I was a terrible driver turns out I"m not, just mediocre :-D

So, I've been playing DC for a few days now and I noticed that I wasn't accelerating fast enough when compared to AI or players in the same car. This was particularly evident when accelerating in a straight line, during a time trial.

I thought I needed the switch to manual shifting to increase my acceleration times but that didn't help infact my scrubby imperfect shifting slowed me further. After fiddling around for quite some time, I concluded that R2 key of my controller was't registering as fully actuated which led to a slower than normal acceleration. Swapping it with R1 seems to have fixed the issue.

I thought I was a terrible driver turns out I"m not, just mediocre :-D

I snapped the hinge on my R2 after a few weeks with the game and have used R1 ever since, it may well be you've done the same.

Melchiah

Well there's no driveclub rules of the road so I guess we all have different interpretations of what is fair. To me he just took his racing line for the bend and if there was a collision it would have been because I was going for a gap that was no longer there. When I did pass him it was as he'd run wide and left a gap.

He didn't swerve on the straights or deliberately hit me - this is better than at least 50% of the drivers you be up against online. In the previous race he backed out of the inside line and let me take the bend without causing a crash (I was amazed as you never see this). Often you are forced to drive defensively and take bad lines for corners simply to give the person behind you less of a target. The frustrating element to driving with friends is the random grid - if my clubmates are at the front of the grid and I'm at the back then the race is over before its began as you need a massive slice of luck to negotiate the banger racing pack quickly enough to give yourself a chance of catching the good drivers.

I was talking about blocking those coming from behind more generally. I'd wager there would be a change of harsh words, if I did that to my friends in a driving game. I haven't played DC online though, and probably never will. Given the choice, I'd prefer to play against friends on split screen, with few beers on the side.

On a side note, I finally got the Unbeatable trophy. It took me four challenges after the patch. The platinum looms in the distance.

MPfgWkzl.jpg

I've noticed, that it's hard to find people who actually partake in the challenges. Possibly partly because I usually use my favorites, BAC Mono or Caterham, which are not available for everyone. Although, I'd presume most of level 41 players have at least BAC in their carage. Wasn't Caterham a part of non-free DLC?

NgTBHGm.jpg

The Fraser Valley race was very tight, whereas in the other two I didn't even need to improve my initial time, and I tend to drive the first run more leniently, giving myself more room to improve if someone beats my time. It kinda amused me, that my level 41 competitor in Oliver's Landing only managed to get 1:23:795 after 13 tries. My own current record on that track is 1:08:083 with BAC Mono.

I was talking about blocking those coming from behind more generally. I'd wager there would be a change of harsh words, if I did that to my friends in a driving game. I haven't played DC online though, and probably never will. Given the choice, I'd prefer to play against friends on split screen, with few beers on the side.

On a side note, I finally got the Unbeatable trophy. It took me four challenges after the patch. The platinum looms in the distance.

MPfgWkzl.jpg

I've noticed, that it's hard to find people who actually partake in the challenges. Possibly partly because I usually use my favorites, BAC Mono or Caterham, which are not available for everyone. Although, I'd presume most of level 41 players have at least BAC in their carage. Wasn't Caterham a part of non-free DLC?

NgTBHGm.jpg

The Fraser Valley race was very tight, whereas in the other two I didn't even need to improve my initial time, and I tend to drive the first run more leniently, giving myself more room to improve if someone beats my time. It kinda amused me, that my level 41 competitor in Oliver's Landing only managed to get 1:23:795 after 13 tries. My own current record on that track is 1:08:083 with BAC Mono.

The challenges are a bit wierd really, I've set a lot of challenges and had a handful of entrants but some of taken off and had hundreds of entrants - talking about them on here has had a lot to do with that as well as getting the interest of the fastest guys out there which suddenly raises their profile.

So I don't think it's car choice which is limiting the number of people entering, if your just sending them out to the people on the recomended list a lot of guys just don't do them. I get sent so many challenges I just tend to cherry pick the car & track combinations that appeal to me.

Melchiah

The challenges are a bit wierd really, I've set a lot of challenges and had a handful of entrants but some of taken off and had hundreds of entrants - talking about them on here has had a lot to do with that as well as getting the interest of the fastest guys out there which suddenly raises their profile.

So I don't think it's car choice which is limiting the number of people entering, if your just sending them out to the people on the recomended list a lot of guys just don't do them. I get sent so many challenges I just tend to cherry pick the car & track combinations that appeal to me.

Likewise. I rarily enter a challenge that features a car, that isn't very familiar to me, which usually means all those cars that are harder to handle. And I don't really like the circuit tracks, so they're no-go as well. I also skip all the drift challenges because I just suck at them.

It's definitely a gamble with randoms, which rarily seems to pay off. I think I've only had 7-8 challenges where people participated in, and I've sent at least a double the amount of them. I noticed, that the activity has increased after the latest patch, and after I started to send time trials instead of races.

farmerboy

I think it's fair game to block unless you are in the same team online.
Now that's stupid.

I'll defend my line going into a corner or just be a shithead to people who have griefed me but in general, if I'm on a straight and someone has got the better exit speed I'll move over if I see them coming. Fairs fair.

patchday

Wish I could drive like that and keep up consistently with the other drivers. Great race!!

farmerboy

So... I might have gone a little too fast.

http://youtu.be/FP-RoKOFK2I

That crest has caught me out too. One day playing multi, we had hypers on that track. Was slowly catching this bloke ahead when I realised that we were approaching that crest.

So I took a gamble and eased off thinking he might forget about it. Well he did, not seeing the brake lights as he approached the crest made me giggle. Last I saw of him he was 50ft in the air with his nose facing the ground. I was laughing so hard that I forgot that hyper car speed as you approach the finish line can also get a bit hairy and I ended up rolling my car as well.

Then he passed me.

Then I laughed even harder.

UV-6

My Unbeatable and Clubman Trophies didn't unlock. And I'm in a Club and won an online challenge. Will the upcoming patch fix this for me?

The recent patch should've fixed it but..

I had to leave my club and then rejoin to get the Clubman trophy.

In terms of the Unbeatable trophy, I would say keep going. Mine unlocked on the 6th win.

Gandalf

One trophy left to platinum. "Credit Where It's Due". The Game Modes accolade is pretty much the only one I need now... And the closest I have to maxing one out is drift events. 121 left to level 5. Uh... The grind begins! :(

Shaneus

One trophy left to platinum. "Credit Where It's Due". The Game Modes accolade is pretty much the only one I need now... And the closest I have to maxing one out is drift events. 121 left to level 5. Uh... The grind begins! :(
Yeah, I'm almost exactly the same. Only have to max out a thingy and Drift is the closest I have. Best option I found is to do that really long Scottish track that has the maaaasive long right-hand corner at the end, that has a number of massive corners to drift with. The Venom is pretty good for it, but I have a hunch there's a better hypercar for drifting. In about 10 minutes I think I knocked over 3-4km.

Auctopus

I'm back, baby.

First a few things since I've been banned.

- Kabago. What a track. Rushy, this has become quickly one of my favourite tracks, it may not be the prettiest (It tries damn hard at night) but the flow in this track is almost unmatched.

- The new cars. Dodge Viper GTS? You kidding me, Rushy? So, so good. Thank you.

- As soon as that patch was installed, my unbeatable trophy popped and I got my Platinum so thanks for that fix too. It has been my most enjoyable Platinum ever.

Just keep up the great work, Evo!

Side note: I've noticed in my week of lurking that there's been an increase in people dissing Rushy whenever he appears in the thread. Evo have made a great commitment to the community of this game in listening to the features and content they want in the game and it's not really fair to trash them whenever they're not looking.

This is especially cringey and spineless when certain users spend pages trashing Driveclub/Evo and then as soon as Rushy appears, bat their eyelids and beg for their favourite cars.

I'm back, baby.

First a few things since I've been banned.

- Kabago. What a track. Rushy, this has become quickly one of my favourite tracks, it may not be the prettiest (It tries damn hard at night) but the flow in this track is almost unmatched.

- The new cars. Dodge Viper GTS? You kidding me, Rushy? So, so good. Thank you.

- As soon as that patch was installed, my unbeatable trophy popped and I got my Platinum so thanks for that fix too. It has been my most enjoyable Platinum ever.

Just keep up the great work, Evo!

Side note: I've noticed in my week of lurking that there's been an increase in people dissing Rushy whenever he appears in the thread. Evo have made a great commitment to the community of this game in listening to the features and content they want in the game and it's not really fair to trash them whenever they're not looking.

This is especially cringey and spineless when certain users spend pages trashing Driveclub/Evo and then as soon as Rushy appears, bat their eyelids and beg for their favourite cars.

Welcome back.

Also, I hate you for being so fast.

Auctopus

Welcome back.

Also, I hate you for being so fast.

You're gonna have to be more specific…

kGfoq.gif

(Kidding, and thanks for the welcome back. I've been trying so hard to #1 the BAC Evo challenge in Kobago this week but FunInGaming and Kie25 have me beat so far. I'm away from my PS4 until the weekend so I won't know if I've slipped any further than 3rd.)

Good to see ya back Auctopus:)

Ok I have 1 place left if there's anyone else who wants in.

CozMick - I need a friend request or your PSN ID.

Denur - Hopefully I'll get chance to send you the challenges tomorrow but if not I'll message you to arrange a time on sat.

The Rules
No restarts
Single run per event
I've set a time about 30 seconds slow for each event (to create the challenge) - if you take longer to complete after the challenges have gone out yet post a quick time there will be the suspicion of restarting so make sure you run the challenges straight away.

The Event
Please be online and ready before 10pm UK for the first challenge.
Once that challenge is complete I'll take all the scores and post the leaderboard on here.
I'll then send out the next challenge.
Each challenge should last between 3 & 4 mins, hopefully the system will work quickly and well to allow you to get on with the next run within a minute or 2. If it's taking too long I'll probably ditch the scoreboards during the event and just post them after.
I'll have a chat room going but not everyone will fit so if you know the other competitors then create your own rooms, it's good to talk! :)

Any questions just let me know

IKizzLE

Moving and wont have internet until Tuesday at the earliest.
DriveClub withdrawal will be real. Gonna come back and suck hard smh.

v1lla21

^^ nice^_^
Four months since release and it's still going strong with great support from the developers. Not only is it a great game but even the DLC has been amazing and it's been done properly. It's not splitting the user base by releasing the tracks under a payment like other games would probably do with their maps. The season pass is well priced and it's jam-packed with content. I'll gladly buy a DC2 or whatever Evo is going/working on next:D

Now Let Us Party!
1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

Wow, the cars actually look far better in the game now than they did in that video.

Or is it just me?

It is magical to look at, seriously. I can only imagine what was going on on the mind of the devs behind the game on that moment, going first with a brand new ip, brand new platform must be extremely stressful.

Now Let Us Party!
1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

Bring on Complete Edition!
tumblr_inline_ncgwxplKV81s2idn0.gif

We need a version of this gif DC themed to celebrate properly. Photoshop experts go!
pitbull-bud-light-o.gif

Denur

Denur - Hopefully I'll get chance to send you the challenges tomorrow but if not I'll message you to arrange a time on sat.
Today I'll be ready to go from 16:00 GMT onward. Looking forward to your PSN message on whether we can do this today or otherwise tomorrow. Thanks for the extra effort!

Top Bottom