• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Welp, I'm placing last... :) Any drift events?

Lol nope, they use points rather than times ;-) We do have a mix of P2P, circuits and a race event this time around tho.

Good! We'll have a race to the bottom!

Theres a lot of different guys in this one who I've no idea about so we'll see how it all pans out :) At the mo I'd say favourites for the win are DJW_GT, our own Auctopus and AnythingBut66 but you never know.

Today I'll be ready to go from 16:00 GMT onward. Looking forward to your PSN message on whether we can do this today or otherwise tomorrow. Thanks for the extra effort!

No probs :)

Rushy

My Unbeatable and Clubman Trophies didn't unlock. And I'm in a Club and won an online challenge. Will the upcoming patch fix this for me?

Unbeatable Trophy is definitely fixed now, you have to have won 5 challenges with active participants.

There is still an issue with the clubman trophy which is fixed in the next game update, but the work around right now is to leave and rejoin the club. If you're the owner of the club though and don't want to do this have someone join the club whilst you're online active in DRIVECLUB and it'll pop.

Anyone tried one of these or similar products? For someone who is not likely to ever get a steering wheel. Worth the prize (around 10€) or just better off without?

A1SuXk9-4dL._SL1500_.jpg

I must say I'm a bit skeptic myself...

Anyone tried one of these or similar products? For someone who is not likely to ever get a steering wheel. Worth the prize (around 10€) or just better off without?

I must say I'm a bit skeptic myself...

This peripheral doesn't do anything on it's own, save for maybe giving you a more ergonomically authentic feeling grip while using motion steering. But you don't really need it to play with motion steering, which works very well in DC by the way.

gl0w

The Event
Please be online and ready before 10pm UK for the first challenge.
Once that challenge is complete I'll take all the scores and post the leaderboard on here.
I'll then send out the next challenge.
Each challenge should last between 3 & 4 mins, hopefully the system will work quickly and well to allow you to get on with the next run within a minute or 2. If it's taking too long I'll probably ditch the scoreboards during the event and just post them after.
I'll have a chat room going but not everyone will fit so if you know the other competitors then create your own rooms, it's good to talk! :)

Any questions just let me know

Hi DHC, can you confirm that I'm in for the event? :)

After posting yesterday about what a great race I'd had the night before, last night I seemed to get this treatment in every race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSenb2650A

The two guys you see targeting me are in the same club, I'd beaten the andrew109 guy in the previous race and that seems to have spurred this. Scimitar8 seems to like slamming on the brakes on the apex too, not sure whether this is an attempt to give the guy behind a collision penalty or just the way how he drives..

On a better note, for those of you struggling with the Venom Hotlap, here's a vid that Kie25 has made - great info and you can see he's put a lot of work into it. Well worth checking out even if it's just to get some insight on hitting the best time on that track... oh and he is the Stig ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0BzyiBwKAo

After posting yesterday about what a great race I'd had the night before, last night I seemed to get this treatment in every race.

The two guys you see targeting me are in the same club, I'd beaten the andrew109 guy in the previous race and that seems to have spurred this. Scimitar8 seems to like slamming on the brakes on the apex too, not sure whether this is an attempt to give the guy behind a collision penalty or just the way how he drives..

On a better note, for those of you struggling with the Venom Hotlap, here's a vid that Kie25 has made - great info and you can see he's put a lot of work into it. Well worth checking out even if it's just to get some insight on hitting the best time on that track... oh and he is the Stig ;-)

There really are some utter dicks out there, I don't play much multiplayer generally and this os one of the reasons why, my time is precious and I don't need to spend it with people like that!

i had the same exact problem last night too ( with other players ) .
i know the feeling , but at least that was a team race.

Imagine my frustration when this happens within my own team.

There really are some utter dicks out there, I don't play much multiplayer generally and this os one of the reasons why, my time is precious and I don't need to spend it with people like that!

I bitch on here about it sometimes but I've prolly had more fun with this game online than any other since Socom2 on ps2! I play most nights with guys I've met on the game and really think peeps who don't play the online are missing out. It does help if you have a good crowd to drive with tho as you get a bit of protection from your clubmates and there's a lower chance of rammers.

i had the same exact problem last night too ( with other players ) .
i know the feeling , but at least that was a team race.

Imagine my frustration when this happens within my own team.

Own team I understand happening as most people pay no attention to the team race thing and are just racing for themselves anyway sadly - clubmates is another matter!

Ted

The current flavour of the conversation makes me afraid to admit I (rather we) was (were) a punter last night so if I (we) hit anyone, apologies! :)

Some old friends and I have a semi-regular get together for some good old pass the controller style gaming, we've just finished up Alien Isolation and needed a stop gap before another story driven games take our fancy. I put on DC as they'd all been asking and before long folk who hadn't played a racing game, let alone DC, were mixing it up online. It was fun to watch but I apologise to anyone who was hit. There was no chance of them not hitting anything given even staying on track was problematic for one or two...

To be fair, by the end of the night even the most inept at the beginning was managing to keep it all together and finish in time which I think says a lot about the accessibility of the driving model.

I really MUST level up an alt for them in the future though!!

On a different note, when I had the controller I had a fantastic race with one user around one of the race circuits and made sure to send him a message after complimenting him on his fairness and clean driving. If you're a GAF'rican, Sixy, good racing.

That was the only race I did on the reverse track so dunno if it was just the guys we were on with or if the track lends itself to that kind of abuse that way around. Had some brilliant races in the hypers in the opposite direction though, just waiting for the first vid to upload now.

The hairpins on the tracks are all very hemmed in by the track barriers so bouncing off them causes less loss of momentum than some of the race track inspired courses with a decent amount of run-off before any barrier invisible or otherwise (BHR and the Japanese race circuit spring to mind).

I think I prefer the reverse variant generally because the tight and technical bits become mostly downhill adding some additional forethought to braking (unless you are an online driver of course!), uphill there might be less wall bouncing. Entry speed is going to be naturally lower and braking distance shortened as a result so, yeah, maybe direction does influence it a little. Who knows. Fab track regardless.

Anyway, good racing again mate, and good luck to everyone taking part in the rally on Saturday.

Own team I understand happening as most people pay no attention to the team race thing and are just racing for themselves anyway sadly - clubmates is another matter!

Won't lie , since i'm playing driveclub with clubmates online , once someone harass one of us , ²we do get harsh on that driver.

It's too bad that i haven't seen true club battles in driveclub online yet.
The most i've seen online is 4 people in a club ..but i know the feelign since at best only 3 of my clubmates can manage to be online at the same time thanks to IRL problems.

I bitch on here about it sometimes but I've prolly had more fun with this game online than any other since Socom2 on ps2! I play most nights with guys I've met on the game and really think peeps who don't play the online are missing out. It does help if you have a good crowd to drive with tho as you get a bit of protection from your clubmates and there's a lower chance of rammers.

That's good to hear, i also should have mentioned i'm an anti-social git too!

Hoping to get some time back with the game this weekend, i've been that busy with work i've had no time for racing and no doubt any minor skill I did have will have left my fingers by now!

Quoting myself from the other thread:

Goddamn you guys have outdone yourselves, great job!

The only thing that bothers me on DC: how bad the AF is. It looks like there's filtering only in the first 6~10ft before the camera. The rest is shown with little to no AF, making textures a blurry mess. Such a shame.

Am I the only one bothered by this? I absolutely love the game, but I find that really distracting ._.

I'll upload a video about it soon.

Am I the only one bothered by this? I absolutely love the game, but I find that really distracting ._.

With that tag? Can't wait. Any particular game your comparing it to?

Won't lie , since i'm playing driveclub with clubmates online , once someone harass one of us , ²we do get harsh on that driver.

It's too bad that i haven't seen true club battles in driveclub online yet.
The most i've seen online is 4 people in a club ..but i know the feelign since at best only 3 of my clubmates can manage to be online at the same time thanks to IRL problems.

There's one guy I regularly drive with whose a bit of a bulldog, any of our party get taken out and he's off to exact some revenge. Personally I just try to keep clear of any of that (and I've never rage quit yet though I have come close). The 2 worst times I've had have been when I'm in the superlight, all you can do is try to get away as its too light to fight back - unfortunately the limited top speed doesn't help either as you can see in that vid when they catch and trash me on a straight. We have had 4 team members on a server before (and pretty much dominated) but it's rare.

v1lla21

I never go out for revenge but I do rage quit. It pisses me off that people are such dicks to drive. I don't play with anyone though, I always go lone wolf :(

Woo!! Just won 3 bucks on a scratcher!!!
Amen_can_i_get_an_amen_praise.gif

So I went to go turn that scratcher in for a 2 dollar and a 1 dollar scratchers and now I won 5 bucks. Lmao.

There isn't much wrong with the AF it could be better obviously but I am assuming you are referring to how textures are look muddy before the full texture is applied when it fall within the target distance? My uneducated guess is this is due to how the MIP maps are set up based on distance. AF is a form of MIP mapping but is specifically related to adjusting the texture on a specific axis whilst not distorting the other so textures on a plane that is at an oblique angle doesn't look blurred. In the case of DC the road and fields where AF is primarily used it is more than adequate the bigger problem is things like trees, bushes and rocks but that is only really when they they are clearly visible outside of the decent texture sampling area and can appear quite pronounced at times.

LoL come on man, check my post history, that was an isolated case. And no, I'm not comparing it to other games, just the fact that AF on this game is really bad.

Hmm well when the first post in here from you that I've seen is to complain about the graphics and with that tag you can understand my scepticism. Having played the game pretty solidly since launch I also can't see any area of the graphics that could possibly be called really bad, but maybe that's just me...

Put him in, I'm not gonna make it. Work commitments, absolutely spewing. Would have loved to see how I fared against the rest of you.

Next time.

Ok AbcVita2012 you're in - make sure you mention its you on the friend request (or message me if you're one of them I received yesterday).

We've had 3 guys run the rally already as they couldn't make tonight - Denur is the current leader by 4 seconds from Postcyberpunk with Seigmeyer only a second behind him. Pretty incredible to see only 5 seconds separating them after 7 events :)

Siegmeyer

Ok AbcVita2012 you're in - make sure you mention its you on the friend request (or message me if you're one of them I received yesterday).

We've had 3 guys run the rally already as they couldn't make tonight - Denur is the current leader by 4 seconds from Postcyberpunk with Seigmeyer only a second behind him. Pretty incredible to see only 5 seconds separating them after 7 events :)

It's a fun rally guys, good mixture of events and conditions. I think the better drivers are gonna smash our times though. I felt I did pretty badly in 6 out of the 7 (too cautious) and OK in 1 so was surprised to hear it was so close, as I felt I drove better in the first rally yet I was still one of the slowest.

Denur

It's a fun rally guys, good mixture of events and conditions. I think the better drivers are gonna smash our times though. I felt I did pretty badly in 6 out of the 7 (too cautious) and OK in 1 so was surprised to hear it was so close, as I felt I drove better in the first rally yet I was still one of the slowest.
Yes, it's a fun mix of events and yes our times will be completely and utterly smashed. But now I know why we're so close and that I'm in still the lead, I only did badly in 5 out of 7 events. :D

All 3 of you thought you'd done pretty badly, and 2 of you said you were over cautious. (Denur was just DUI ;-) I guess rallying is about the getting the risk / reward balance right. Looking at the times Denur had a mare on the 4th stage and dropped 9 seconds behind but pulled 15 seconds back over the next 3 stages.

Oh shit I completely missed the rally challenge. Damnit I should hop in here m lo re pften :/

If your available tonight then you can be the reserve if you like? I'll be surprised (and pleased) if all 17 of the competitors turn up so there may well still be the opportunity to jump in.

There isn't much wrong with the AF it could be better obviously but I am assuming you are referring to how textures are look muddy before the full texture is applied when it fall within the target distance? My uneducated guess is this is due to how the MIP maps are set up based on distance. AF is a form of MIP mapping but is specifically related to adjusting the texture on a specific axis whilst not distorting the other so textures on a plane that is at an oblique angle doesn't look blurred. In the case of DC the road and fields where AF is primarily used it is more than adequate the bigger problem is things like trees, bushes and rocks but that is only really when they they are clearly visible outside of the decent texture sampling area and can appear quite pronounced at times.

It's the opposite to me, trees look ok, but the road is incredibly blurry right in front of the car. Maybe the problem is exacerbated by the fact that I play in a 60" Plasma, but yeah, it looks really bad.

CozMick

Banned
Good to see ya back Auctopus:)

Ok I have 1 place left if there's anyone else who wants in.

CozMick - I need a friend request or your PSN ID.

Denur - Hopefully I'll get chance to send you the challenges tomorrow but if not I'll message you to arrange a time on sat.

The Rules
No restarts
Single run per event
I've set a time about 30 seconds slow for each event (to create the challenge) - if you take longer to complete after the challenges have gone out yet post a quick time there will be the suspicion of restarting so make sure you run the challenges straight away.

The Event
Please be online and ready before 10pm UK for the first challenge.
Once that challenge is complete I'll take all the scores and post the leaderboard on here.
I'll then send out the next challenge.
Each challenge should last between 3 & 4 mins, hopefully the system will work quickly and well to allow you to get on with the next run within a minute or 2. If it's taking too long I'll probably ditch the scoreboards during the event and just post them after.
I'll have a chat room going but not everyone will fit so if you know the other competitors then create your own rooms, it's good to talk! :)

Any questions just let me know

How will this be officiated?

Screenshots, shareplay, twitch, trusting me to give my proper times?

How will this be officiated?

Screenshots, shareplay, twitch, trusting me to give my proper times?

It's issued via challenges so your time is recorded on there. I've set target times around 30 seconds longer than it should take to finish the course - if your later than that with a good time then it'll look like a restart has taken place. There is an element of trust here but I think it'll be obvious if someone is breaking the rules.

Vaga is my clubmate & will be taking part tonight - he got a month ban for losing his rag in The Order review thread.

How much time until the event starts?

3 hours

Has anyone seen Mango online? I suspect his Internet may still be down - I wonder if tethering his phone would be good enough to get challenges?

Sorry guys I won't be able to do the event. My DC keeps crashing with an error for some reason, I had to delete it and am currently redownloading. Won't be done in time =(

Best of luck to all participants

CozMick

Banned
All ready and waiting,

I'm already calling shenanigans if I don't win, I'm about to go to sleep and the yanks are fresh as a daisy :p

Top Bottom