• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

farmerboy

What were the final standings or aren't you all finished yet. Just got home and interested to see how it all panned out.

Also, is it possible that you list the events involved, that way I might have a go at this myself later just to see if I would have been any good. If I'm really bad I might give GAF Rally 3 a miss altogether ;)

image.jpg

Here's the results from tonight's rally :)

lordxar

What were the final standings or aren't you all finished yet. Just got home and interested to see how it all panned out.

Also, is it possible that you list the events involved, that way I might have a go at this myself later just to see if I would have been any good. If I'm really bad I might give GAF Rally 3 a miss altogether ;)

I need bottom fodder so jump in its lonely down here :)

I'll forward you the events bud so you can see where you would've placed - unfortunately the guy you stepped aside for never got in touch.

Bananafactory - if you want to do your run too let me know and I'll send you the challenges.

farmerboy

I need bottom fodder so jump in its lonely down here :)

Are you insinuating that I'm just some farmer hick who drives tractors all day and couldn't possibly be any good at this game? I'm bloody sick of that stereotype.
I'm exactly that! Doesn't hurt taking part and trying though. :)

I'll forward you the events bud so you can see where you would've placed - unfortunately the guy you stepped aside for never got in touch.

Bananafactory - if you want to do your run too let me know and I'll send you the challenges.

Much appreciated. Round of applause for Shannow too, thanks for being a great community member.

Much appreciated. Round of applause for Shannow too, thanks for being a great community member.

No probs & thanks :)

I've fired out the challenges to everyone on my friends list who plays DC so you've got 6 days to have a crack at them. It'll be quite interesting to see the final leaderboards and how the times compare to what Auctopus & DJW were managing in a single run.

I'll do a full update post in the morning (1am here at the mo) but thanks again to everyone who turned up and took part - having 8 of us in the chat was great too :)

lordxar

Are you insinuating that I'm just some farmer hick who drives tractors all day and couldn't possibly be any good at this game? I'm bloody sick of that stereotype.
I'm exactly that! Doesn't hurt taking part and trying though. :)

I don't do these to win, I know my skills are not as good as others but I do enjoy doing them. Really its nice to see how I compare overall, especially coming into DC as basically a racing noob and now at least within sight of the leaders.

Finally nailed the pagani drift! 3 stars at last. I kept creeping closer and closer. 7282 at one point was so painful! Finished with 7333.

Just a couple more events to go and that venom hot lap for all the stars on the main tour.

IKizzLE

@rushy

Request:

It would be really great to have fastest lap times recorded and displayed at the end of every multiplayer race. Notice that this is like the only racing game I've played in recent memory that doesn't display this at the end of races.

gl0w

Really sorry i didn't make it to the event :(

But... Girl > DC

I will be on the next one, for sure!!

Hope you guys enjoyed it

farmerboy

image.jpg

Here's the results from tonight's rally :)

Drumroll please, results for me, no restarts I swear; 1236.723 sec.

Happy with that, would have placed 7th.

@rushy

Request:

It would be really great to have fastest lap times recorded and displayed at the end of every multiplayer race. Notice that this is like the only racing game I've played in recent memory that doesn't display this at the end of races.

Agree with this, a nice little splash screen with fastest lap, fastest average speed, fastest sectors, top speed, cleanest racer, most overtakes, etc would give you something to talk about between races.

Sirenty

No probs & thanks :)

I've fired out the challenges to everyone on my friends list who plays DC so you've got 6 days to have a crack at them. It'll be quite interesting to see the final leaderboards and how the times compare to what Auctopus & DJW were managing in a single run.

Thanks a lot for doing this; it was a lot of fun! Did better than I expected, so I'm happy, but still got a lot of work to do..

I tried the challenges again to see how much I'd do with the benefit of foresight and since it usually takes me a lap or two to get used to a car and track again. With the same constraints (1 try, no restart), I improved by ~11 seconds. Improved on tracks I thought I should've done better on the first time, did worse on the Audi track (which was surprising cause I got a corner penalty the firs time), and the rain ones still weren't clean.

Definitely looking forward to the next one!

Hey Shannow thanks for sending me the challenges, I ran one attempt each and they were all pretty bad lol

Anyways I added up my time and got 1254.285 seconds but you can double check/validate

Hey Shannow thanks for sending me the challenges, I ran one attempt each and they were all pretty bad lol

Anyways I added up my time and got 1254.285 seconds but you can double check/validate

I'll add your times onto the Rally scoreboards once the servers are back up (down when I just tried), yours too FarmerBoy :)

Firstly again thank you to all the guys who took part, you all play a part in making these events fun :)

The Good

Everyone said they had fun and enjoyed the event.
It was a lot less stressful to do than the first as we didn't have the same time constraints.
Having 8 peeps in the chat gave a great sense of community, was a good laugh and helped a lot in getting the times (not everyone's scoreboard updates at the same time).
I think the country concept worked as did the mix of events - I think we've got the format sorted for future events.
I got to put voices to names (CozMick sounds more like Jimmy Nail than Arnold J Rimmer :)

The Bad

The anti cheat system didn't work - not in the respect that anyone cheated and restarted as I'm sure no one did, but the ideas I had to prevent it happening (strict time limits) just didn't work as the challenge invites could arrive instantly for some peeps and take minutes for others.
It's a shame we can't have more than 8 in a group chat as Sirenty and DJW didn't get the same event feel as everyone in the chat. Getting everyone to wait until the challenges arrived then set off together was good tho :)

The Ugly

I'm not going harp on about it but it is disappointing that some guys didn't turn up or at least send a message or make a post. Biggest disappointment is my own team mate whose let me down twice now (and won't be entering any more).

Moving forward

As I mentioned last night, I am planning on a championship running over the next five weeks. I'll stick up the info on here once I've gathered my thought on it. Any feedback on last night or what you'd like to see in the championship then please let me know :)

CozMick

Banned
Firstly again thank you to all the guys who took part, you all play a part in making these events fun :)

The Good

Everyone said they had fun and enjoyed the event.
It was a lot less stressful to do than the first as we didn't have the same time constraints.
Having 8 peeps in the chat gave a great sense of community, was a good laugh and helped a lot in getting the times (not everyone's scoreboard updates at the same time).
I think the country concept worked as did the mix of events - I think we've got the format sorted for future events.
I got to put voices to names (CozMick sounds more like Jimmy Nail than Arnold J Rimmer :)

The Bad

The anti cheat system didn't work - not in the respect that anyone cheated and restarted as I'm sure no one did, but the ideas I had to prevent it happening (strict time limits) just didn't work as the challenge invites could arrive instantly for some peeps and take minutes for others.
It's a shame we can't have more than 8 in a group chat as Sirenty and DJW didn't get the same event feel as everyone in the chat. Getting everyone to wait until the challenges arrived then set off together was good tho :)

The Ugly

I'm not going harp on about it but it is disappointing that some guys didn't turn up or at least send a message or make a post. Biggest disappointment is my own team mate whose let me down twice now (and won't be entering any more).

Moving forward

As I mentioned last night, I am planning on a championship running over the next five weeks. I'll stick up the info on here once I've gathered my thought on it. Any feedback on last night or what you'd like to see in the championship then please let me know :)

You've yet to hear me in full swing, 11pm, the kids were asleep. Maybe next time :)

Must say though, I really enjoyed last night, sucking on milkshakes and all.

The delayed challenges are a pain, maybe shareplay could help with this,watching over on the runs, its real time so no delays like twitch however we'd be playing all night lol.

Count me in for the forseeable, great fun.

Cappa

Banned
As I patiently wait for this 6GB title update, is there anything in particular you guys would advise for a newbie to start out with? Not new to racing games but the last one I played was Need for Speed:HS, I know there's a ton of free DLC for the game is it just all on PSN?

As I patiently wait for this 6GB title update, is there anything in particular you guys would advise for a newbie to start out with? Not new to racing games but the last one I played was Need for Speed:HS, I know there's a ton of free DLC for the game is it just all on PSN?

The free additional tracks are in the update, the 2 free DLC tours are unlocked in the game when you select them and so are the free cars.

Newb advice? Um the game is more sim than arcade handling wise so braking and careful accelerating is required with the faster cars, there's no driving line to follow so you need to actually learn the tracks, use the red, yellow & green flags to judge how severe the corner is...

Karu

The free additional tracks are in the update, the 2 free DLC tours are unlocked in the game when you select them and so are the free cars.

Newb advice? Um the game is more sim than arcade handling wise so braking and careful accelerating is required with the faster cars, there's no driving line to follow so you need to actually learn the tracks, use the red, yellow & green flags to judge how severe the corner is...
Have also bought the game overnight. (Limited play while downloading is soso good) Didn't notice the flags before, thanks. Have dipped my toe into GT5 previously, but other than that not much experience in the sim-racer(or arcade/sim hybrid)-genre. What I've played so far, seemed great though.

Have also bought the game overnight. (Limited play while downloading is soso good) Didn't notice the flags before, thanks. Have dipped my toe into GT5 previously, but other than that not much experience in the sim-racer(or arcade/sim hybrid)-genre. What I've played so far, seemed great though.

Cool :) The other piece of advice I'd give is to pick a track you like and do time trials with the different cars in the same class - you learn the track whilst finding out which car suits you & is quickest...

Bradf50

anyone knows a huge res of this pic?

driveclub.jpg

Yeah if anyone finds a hi-res version please post it!

Seeing as I have an unhealthy love for the Jag C-X75 :D and some time to kill this afternoon I thought I'd have a go at creating something with a very similar art style. WIP at the moment but it's looking ok so far. Hopefully I can find some more time to keep playing with it. :)

15995462333_63eea4f834_b.jpg

Full res here

sneaky77

I would love to participate in the events I wish Evo gave us better tools for them because mid afternoon weekend is tough to make for me, I think is a great idea so its cool people are participating, only 4 no shows of 20 is not bad.

Shaneus

So close to the platinum....need to drift 30 more miles

God damn the grind is real -_-
I've been thinking of different ways to try and accomplish one of those accolades. Realised that the drift one might not be the easiest one to do, time-wise. This is what I worked out (and I'm equal to completing about all of them:

* Winner accolade. Pick a short track, single race, hyper car. That Scottish one that's second-last on the track list, you can complete a race in ~45s. So roughly one minute for the amount of wins to be accomplished. Has the bonus of also counting towards events raced and clean sectors.

* Drift accolade. Time trial a track with big sweeping turns, use a hyper car. Was VERY grindy.

* Draft accolade. Pick that Canadian track with massive straights, 25 lap race. Took me about 30 minutes to complete this race and it knocked off about 30 kilometres of drafting distance.

So I think that roughly, it can be one minute for one thing that needs to be knocked over. Drafting feels like the most laborious, second to that was the draft one. I think the race one is easiest to work through and only requires a small time commitment at a time (vs. needing a 30 minute session for the drafting one).

DJ Gunner

So close to the platinum....need to drift 30 more miles

God damn the grind is real -_-

I got it today! I think I managed drafting on that accolade (I'd have to check) but playing a lot of multiplayer is how I achieved everything else.

I've only a few platinums- but this one was the most satisfying.

Yeah I looked at them all but drifting just ended up being the closest for me, I haven't touched most dlc and don't do that many actual races but I've done a lot of drift challenges which I think is why it ended up so high. It's the only accolade I have for gameplay that's level 5, the rest are still level 4.

I would love to participate in the events I wish Evo gave us better tools for them because mid afternoon weekend is tough to make for me, I think is a great idea so its cool people are participating, only 4 no shows of 20 is not bad.

Thinking about this, maybe the best answer is someone works with me in the US and runs the US Event in the evening over there - I forward them the challenges and they send them on to you guys at the right time. Any ideas or volunteers?

Thinking about this, maybe the best answer is someone works with me in the US and runs the US Event in the evening over there - I forward them the challenges and they send them on to you guys at the right time. Any ideas or volunteers?

I would...but I'm not sure how reliable my schedule is :S

Oh yeah and....YASSSSSSSSSSSSS

latest

io22f1p9dRSfZ.jpg

Yay well done bud :)

With regards to the rally, it all depends on how bad you think your schedule will be. You've probably got a bit more flexibility (you could do it on Friday or Sunday if Saturday isn't possible) as the US guys will be within 3 hours of each other - I'm kinda locked to 10pm Saturday as its a workable time all over as well as suiting me.

All the job involves is running the chat, sending out the challenges and either entering the times into the spreadsheet or getting screenshots of the leaderboards after each stage.

Have a think about it and let me know :)

I'm planning on running the rally championship over the next 5 weeks as I've a baby due in 6 so my free time is going to disappear!

Just a few final questions before I launch it :-

I'm leaning more towards announcing what country & tracks the rally will be on each week before the rally. This is in part due to people saying that they didn't really know the tracks and also my own sense of fair play where I wouldn't practice the upcoming tracks as I didn't want to give myself any advantage. By announcing the tracks we ensure a level playing field. I don't want to give all details out as I do like having an element of surprise to the event so I could keep the car choice secret or give a list of cars that'll be used (again so people can practice the cars) but not which track they will be used on. Any thoughts on what you'd prefer on this?

Top Bottom