• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Siegmeyer

I'm planning on running the rally championship over the next 5 weeks as I've a baby due in 6 so my free time is going to disappear!

Just a few final questions before I launch it :-

I'm leaning more towards announcing what country & tracks the rally will be on each week before the rally. This is in part due to people saying that they didn't really know the tracks and also my own sense of fair play where I wouldn't practice the upcoming tracks as I didn't want to give myself any advantage. By announcing the tracks we ensure a level playing field. I don't want to give all details out as I do like having an element of surprise to the event so I could keep the car choice secret or give a list of cars that'll be used (again so people can practice the cars) but not which track they will be used on. Any thoughts on what you'd prefer on this?

I think letting people know the track in advance is a better idea than which cars. Even if unfamiliar with a car, the user can begin to adapt straight away after 1 corner. If you're unfamiliar with a track then you're SOL. Obviously those who've played more of DC than others will still have an advantage, but it makes it less unbalanced this way.

Knowing the track we can then practice with a variety of cars, hoping come event time that we'll have practiced on a 'similar' car recently. Also, familiarity with cars is not course dependent, so we gain knowledge with whatever we choose to practice on, rather than trying to learn each course in the hope they make an appearance in the rally. I've probably got over 60 hours in DC (maybe more, I don't know how, or if, you can check) but I still need the map for the vast majority of them.

image.jpg

Here's the results from tonight's rally :)

Sorry I didn't make it, ended up out with the partner. Had a quick run of the challenges the following morning and confirmed my suspicions that I suck bad compared to others!

lordxar

Oh yeah and....YASSSSSSSSSSSSS

latest

io22f1p9dRSfZ.jpg

Nice!

I'm planning on running the rally championship over the next 5 weeks as I've a baby due in 6 so my free time is going to disappear!

I'm leaning more towards announcing what country & tracks the rally will be on each week before the rally. This is in part due to people saying that they didn't really know the tracks and also my own sense of fair play where I wouldn't practice the upcoming tracks as I didn't want to give myself any advantage. By announcing the tracks we ensure a level playing field. I don't want to give all details out as I do like having an element of surprise to the event so I could keep the car choice secret or give a list of cars that'll be used (again so people can practice the cars) but not which track they will be used on. Any thoughts on what you'd prefer on this?

How many people we talking on the US side? I might be willing to run that part. Just curious how many there are and what time/day were talking? That's flexible but one problem I've had with friends here is work schedules since some work different shifts but it is what it is. Still would just pick the best time overall.

See, Evo needs to give us a rally framework with limited attempts and retries. Just a small task to complete before Saturday!

Congrats on baby!

So, I'm reading that we'll be getting more in-depth sound controls options in the next update. Sounds good. Hopefully we'll be able to turn up cockpit audio.

noomi

So.... I finally started playing this over the weekend. I purchased the game during its release and just unwrapped the plastic off it and started getting into it.

I don't get why this game got so much hate initially, it's fantastic. Fun to play, gorgeous graphics, clubs are fun, and multiplayer seems pretty decent as well. What can I say.. I like it...

I did have to download a 6GB patch after popping in the disk, so I assume quite a bit has changed since the release to make the game better.... Either way, really enjoying it and having fun playing :)

drotahorror

Nice! I still don't have it because of that bug that was fixed only recently. Need to create some new challenges.

Meh, I tried to get the 5 challenge trophy with someone here on gaf but even though I won them all and he 'attempted' them all I still didn't get trophy. I was online at the time of the challenges completion time.

Has anyone seen Mango online? I suspect his Internet may still be down - I wonder if tethering his phone would be good enough to get challenges?
Still down!

Unfortunately I live in a dead zone, next-to-no mobile signal here. You get it for 30 seconds then it goes again, I thought I'd managed to PM you but looking at my sent items I can see it didn't send!

I should have slept at work.

Oh well, I platinum'd The Order instead!

Sorry I didn't make it, ended up out with the partner. Had a quick run of the challenges the following morning and confirmed my suspicions that I suck bad compared to others!

OK bud, I know we have to keep our other halves happy! In future if you know in advance then let me know and I can arrange a time for you to do the event solo, like Denur, Postcyberpunk & Seigmeyer did with the last one.

How many people we talking on the US side? I might be willing to run that part. Just curious how many there are and what time/day were talking? That's flexible but one problem I've had with friends here is work schedules since some work different shifts but it is what it is. Still would just pick the best time overall.

See, Evo needs to give us a rally framework with limited attempts and retries. Just a small task to complete before Saturday!

Congrats on baby!

Cheers for the congrats :)

As for numbers, it's really hard to say. The only one I can remember with an issue on the time is Sneaky but whose to say if we wouldn't get more in if we did run it in the evening US time. The other side of this is that we're in a pretty quiet corner of GAF here so do I make an OT for the rally on the main page to get more entrants, or do we keep it small?

Still down!

Unfortunately I live in a dead zone, next-to-no mobile signal here. You get it for 30 seconds then it goes again, I thought I'd managed to PM you but looking at my sent items I can see it didn't send!

I should have slept at work.

Oh well, I platinum'd The Order instead!

Damn thats bad, whereabouts are you? Think you'll be back on for the next?

I have issues with PM's on here from my mobile, they hardly ever seem to work.

Damn thats bad, whereabouts are you? Think you'll be back on for the next?

I have issues with PM's on here from my mobile, they hardly ever seem to work.
If it isn't then the next time you see me I'll be in a casket :p

Apparently the thing in the ground all the cables run through needs re-building.

I'm in Essex, but this small stretch of road must have once been a nuclear reactor because it's just a complete dead spot for mobile on all networks. I could cope if it was just the landline dead but diabolical mobile? Nightmare!

Sirenty

It's a shame we can't have more than 8 in a group chat as Sirenty and DJW didn't get the same event feel as everyone in the chat. Getting everyone to wait until the challenges arrived then set off together was good tho :)

Being in chat would've definitely been interesting, and definitely pumped it up a bit more. Then again, I don't think you guys would've wanted to listen to my daughter crying because she wanted to watch My Little Ponies but Daddy was playing cars.

Congrats on the baby! I think you'll still have some free time for a bit. I think I have pictures of mine as a newborn sleeping on my chest while I played games, and she slept a lot. :)

I think knowing the tracks would be good. I think my biggest problem in the last event was I hadn't played a lot of those courses in quite a while, so my lines were all over the place. Not knowing cars or elements would still leave some surprise. I think we could see how that goes and then adjust next week if there is an issue.

I second the notion that it'd be cool if DC had multi-event challenges, like the multi-course tour events. Select the challenges and send them out in one all-encompassing challenge and let DC track the times (and restarts?)

Dammit that's annoying. Haven't tested out the new DLC yet, and was kind of hoping they sort this exposure issue out before I jumped back in.

You and me both pal.
Itching to start playing this again once they've sorted out the low exposure in cockpit issue.

OK bud, I know we have to keep our other halves happy! In future if you know in advance then let me know and I can arrange a time for you to do the event solo, like Denur, Postcyberpunk & Seigmeyer did with the last one.

Cheers yeah I should have jumped on the boards and let you know, my apologies once again.

Auctopus

Just two requests if RUSHY is reading...

- ability to dismiss challenges that you've received. (Swipe up on touchpad?)

- choice of what ghosts you're racing against. Nothing too in-depth, just maybe the ability to just race against your own best time or just against the world best time etc. It gets a little confusing when I'm racing against my best time, my best time for that sector, my last lap and the worlds best time.

Just two requests if RUSHY is reading...

- ability to dismiss challenges that you've received. (Swipe up on touchpad?)

- choice of what ghosts you're racing against. Nothing too in-depth, just maybe the ability to just race against your own best time or just against the world best time etc. It gets a little confusing when I'm racing against my best time, my best time for that sector, my last lap and the worlds best time.

Some other suggestions for the events I'm doing :-

When choosing who to send challenges to, can it not list friends who are level 1 as its highly unlikely that they have the game - it'll help reduce the list a lot.

Friend groups would speed things up a lot, and would be useful for normal challenges too as not all our friends do challenges.

Set a number of challenge attempts allowed.

Restarts allowed / not allowed.

Don't want to put a load more work on the studio but putting those in place would mean we could run the events on a much larger scale and without the timezone issues we have at the mo.

Auctopus

Just a heads up, Jim Ryan was just unable to confirm in an interview whether the Driveclub PS+ Edition is going to happen. Well, he couldn't give a clear answer at least.

A very sour, angry thread is inevitably coming which i'm gonna duck out of. We've already lost a lot of Gaffers to The Order threads.

MMaRsu

Sorry guys I wasnt able to do the rally challenges. I shouldnt have signed up but didnt know I was gonna be busy at the time. When I came back home it was late as hell and I was too tired to put down anything of a good time.

And as far as that thread on the ps+ edition, the interviewer shouldnt have asked those questions imo, if you see how far Driveclub has come since launch, its almost doubled in content and amazingness :p. I mean the core game was always amazing, its just been improved upon so much its unbelievable.

<3 Evo

desu

Just a heads up, Jim Ryan was just unable to confirm in an interview whether the Driveclub PS+ Edition is going to happen. Well, he couldn't give a clear answer at least.

A very sour, angry thread is inevitably coming which i'm gonna duck out of. We've already lost a lot of Gaffers to The Order threads.

You mean this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=997619 ?

Kind of click baiting for me but whatever. Another useless xx page thread.

Oh yeah and....YASSSSSSSSSSSSS

latest

Congrats, can't get myself to grind too much for this. Accolade trophy is the last one I am missing :s.

Congrats, can't get myself to grind too much for this. Accolade trophy is the last one I am missing :s.

it was horrible. lol

Ohhhh boy....how was the question framed?

Kambing

Is there a place that list the best "settings (what looks best)" to drive the tracks on? Some of you in the screenshot thread are producing crazy looking shit lol.

Also, some of you are concerned about the level cap?! What is the fastest way to increase levels yeah guys?

Is there a place that list the best "settings (what looks best)" to drive the tracks on? Some of you in the screenshot thread are producing crazy looking shit lol.

Also, some of you are concerned about the level cap?! What is the fastest way to increase levels yeah guys?
I noticed late in the game that races give you way more XP than time trials. Also every time you bump up a level in accolades you get an XP boost, sometimes dramatic ones. I would check the manufacturer accolades in particular and focus on certain cars for the XP bumps.

Driveclub rally expansion maybe

With Group B cars???
Don't do this to me you cruel tease.

In other news I see the new pack contains the Corvette Z06 CE and the Viper SRT.
I wish they would release another wide track for each location. I quite enjoyed the wider feel of the Japan tracks.

Any idea if we are getting replays yet?

Any idea if we are getting replays yet?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=776058732478489

See what's coming to #DRIVECLUB this month in HD: http://youtu.be/0UZ85zvZ5tA

Full details of Update 1.11 (coming next week) follow...

» Adds a new Multiplayer game mode: Team Time Trial.
» Adds a new track offering 2 variants: Kobago in Japan.
» All add-on Tours have new progress requirements: You need 8 Stars (previously 12) to progress to the second stage and 22 Stars (previously 27) to open up the final Championship.
» Adds the ability to choose from a collection of factory Paint Jobs during vehicle selection prior to an Event.
» Adds the option to enable the Rev Counter in cockpit view.
» Decreases the threshold on the manumatic downshift limiter to allow players to downshift earlier.
» Reduces the drying time for rain splatter on the screen when in Chase Cam.
» Implements ghosting under certain conditions in Multiplayer races to prevent track blocking.
» Allows the 'Contender' and 'Unbeatable' Trophies to be unlocked even if the challenges expire when you are not online.
» Includes a number of minor bug fixes, performance improvements and usability tweaks.

Update 1.11 Add-ons (coming to PlayStation®Store Feb 24-26):

» Adds support for the VUHL 05, coming to PlayStation®Store as a free download.
» Adds support for the DOWNFORCE Expansion Pack, coming to PlayStation®Store as a premium/Season Pass add-on.
» The Downforce Car Pack includes: Ferrari F50, Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Centennial Edition, SRT Viper GTS, Koenigsegg One:1 and Jaguar F-Type R Coupé.
» The Downforce Tour Pack includes 11 new Events and 5 new Trophies.
» Adds support for the Midnight Tour Pack, coming to PlayStation®Store as a premium/Season Pass add-on.
» The Midnight Tour Pack includes 11 new Events and 5 new Trophies.
» Adds support for 2 new livery packs, coming to PlayStation®Store as a premium/Season Pass add-on. Each Livery Pack contains 5 new livery patterns to customise your cars with.

What else is coming to DRIVECLUB?

» Server upgrades: to improve stability and performance for all current players and to enable the release of the PS+ Edition and DRIVECLUB companion app.
» Private lobbies: Development of Private Lobbies for Multiplayer is ongoing alongside development of server upgrades.
» Replays: are in the final stages of development and testing. It's likely that offline replays will come ahead of Multiplayer replays.
» Changes to drift scoring: to ensure that you are rewarded for momentum, control and staying on the track in drift zones.
» Lots more cars: We can't say what's coming just yet, but many of your most commonly requested cars and manufacturers are coming to DRIVECLUB, along with a few surprises.
» New ranks: because many of you are at Level 50 already.
» Lots more! Please keep sharing your feedback about DRIVECLUB with us to help the game continue to evolve around you.

Some other suggestions for the events I'm doing :-

When choosing who to send challenges to, can it not list friends who are level 1 as its highly unlikely that they have the game - it'll help reduce the list a lot.

Friend groups would speed things up a lot, and would be useful for normal challenges too as not all our friends do challenges.

Set a number of challenge attempts allowed.

Restarts allowed / not allowed.

Don't want to put a load more work on the studio but putting those in place would mean we could run the events on a much larger scale and without the timezone issues we have at the mo.
m8 you bave PM :)

Skii

I don't get why this game got so much hate initially, it's fantastic. Fun to play, gorgeous graphics, clubs are fun, and multiplayer seems pretty decent as well. What can I say.. I like it...

It largely reviewed poorly because it wasn't open world. Even though the vast majority of open world racers during this generation and last generation have been absolutely shocking in every aspect.

Being in chat would've definitely been interesting, and definitely pumped it up a bit more. Then again, I don't think you guys would've wanted to listen to my daughter crying because she wanted to watch My Little Ponies but Daddy was playing cars.

Congrats on the baby! I think you'll still have some free time for a bit. I think I have pictures of mine as a newborn sleeping on my chest while I played games, and she slept a lot. :)

I think knowing the tracks would be good. I think my biggest problem in the last event was I hadn't played a lot of those courses in quite a while, so my lines were all over the place. Not knowing cars or elements would still leave some surprise. I think we could see how that goes and then adjust next week if there is an issue.

I second the notion that it'd be cool if DC had multi-event challenges, like the multi-course tour events. Select the challenges and send them out in one all-encompassing challenge and let DC track the times (and restarts?)

Cheers bud :) So are you US based too? Yeah you've not see how I play the game! I stand up the entire time about a metre from my telly and have been known to nearly fall over on tight corners!

I can't really see the multi challenge thing happening, much as I'd like to see it.

Probably tied to the overall server issues?

Seems unlikely...don't think there'd be much crossover there in terms of manpower.

My guess (and hope) is that they are just making sure replays are AMAZING :)

I haven't touched much DLC because I want to see replays of some of those races, particularly the Venom Hot Lap 2 lol

Dude thank you for playing my drift challenge for this week. I spent like 50-60 attempts trying to beat your score and ended up getting my platinum trophy lol. Also notched a cool 16 000 even score :)

lordxar

Seems unlikely...don't think there'd be much crossover there in terms of manpower.

My guess (and hope) is that they are just making sure replays are AMAZING :)

But if the servers or their database already has a bug or is too loaded, recalling old lines might add to the problem especially if your recalling anyone's lines as opposed to what you just ran. Though theoretically its easier to just read data than write it. Basically if we are already having network/server issues, adding new network features doesn't help. My guess anyway.

But if the servers or their database already has a bug or is too loaded, recalling old lines might add to the problem especially if your recalling anyone's lines as opposed to what you just ran. Though theoretically its easier to just read data than write it. Basically if we are already having network/server issues, adding new network features doesn't help. My guess anyway.

True, I guess I just assumed the replay data would be a local thing and not hitting the servers at all really. You have a ghosts profile stored on your local system which I imagine is where it grabs it from

Auctopus

I don't get why this game got so much hate initially, it's fantastic. Fun to play, gorgeous graphics, clubs are fun, and multiplayer seems pretty decent as well. What can I say.. I like it..)

As much as I love this game (GOTY 2014), it was in pretty rough shape when it launched. Non-functioning online: No time trial time kept, no multiplayer, no challenges for nearly 2 months. Weather had also not been implemented, the car list was much smaller; as was the track list.

AA and other graphical upgrades have also occurred over the last few months.

You have chosen a very good time to start playing the game.

Note: The reviewers who said the game was 'soulless' are the only reviews that I think really missed the boat. Jeff Gertstmann who I usually enjoy really missed his mark and he lost my trust in any of his reviews since.

As much as I love this game (GOTY 2014), it was in pretty rough shape when it launched. Non-functioning online: No time trial time kept, no multiplayer, no challenges for nearly 2 months. Weather had also not been implemented, the car list was much smaller; as was the track list.

AA and other graphical upgrades have also occurred over the last few months.

You have chosen a very good time to start playing the game.

Note: The reviewers who said the game was 'soulless' are the only reviews that I think really missed the boat. Jeff Gertstmann who I usually enjoy really missed his mark and he lost my trust in any of his reviews since.

I think the AA improvement is a myth, I saw screenshots from 1.0 and 1.07 patch and they were identical. I have yet to see anything that shows an tangible difference

lordxar

True, I guess I just assumed the replay data would be a local thing and not hitting the servers at all really. You have a ghosts profile stored on your local system which I imagine is where it grabs it from

Local is the easy part...although my game doesn't always keeps my lines. Take the VHL for instance, every time I restart it my time is as if I never tried but I have a server time. I *think* the grand vision is to be able to watch any recorded laps, well kept recordings anyway. I don't think they keep anything but the fastest. Well that's how it sounded to me anyway.

farmerboy

Cheers bud :) So are you US based too? Yeah you've not see how I play the game! I stand up the entire time about a metre from my telly and have been known to nearly fall over on tight corners!

I can't really see the multi challenge thing happening, much as I'd like to see it.

WUT?!?

farmerboy

Maybe each week is one country only? That way we practice that countries tracks. Either way, definitely do need some surprise so tracks should be the only thing announced.

Definitely no restarts.

Auctopus

Definitely don't announce the tracks, that negates the no restart rules. The point is your best effort in one shot. You could announce the country?

Not sure on cars. You could announce the 5-6 cars you'll use but I think either do one or the other. Don't announce the cars and the country.

Definitely don't announce the tracks, that negates the no restart rules. The point is your best effort in one shot. You could announce the country?

Not sure on cars. You could announce the 5-6 cars you'll use but I think either do one or the other. Don't announce the cars and the country.

I disagree and even though I will probably never join in I'd say it gives a level playing field by letting people know beforehand, no different than having warm up laps before the race. As long as you stick to the one attempt all should be fine.

Drifting is such a chore. How do you chain drift when it's so damn difficult to find a balance between losing control and drifting enough to get some points? Urgh!

Top Bottom