• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

farmerboy

How will they raise the level cap? There are peeps with 25 million points or more. How's EVO going to adjust the levels?

Points you've already earned won't count.

They'd have to let you bump automatically to a certain level otherwise there would be massive outcry from points already earned and then arbitrarily "wasted" if not put towards a new level cap.

The guy on top of the fame points leaderboard has, the last time I checked, 1,220,000,000 fame points.

That's fucking 1.22 BILLION. Christ, he must be playing it all the time. He would neck himself if he wasn't allowed to use them. Apart from unlocking cars in the original I don't get what further level caps would bring to the game, apart from a shiny number.

fritzo

They'd have to let you bump automatically to a certain level otherwise there would be massive outcry from points already earned and then arbitrarily "wasted" if not put towards a new level cap.

The guy on top of the fame points leaderboard has, the last time I checked, 1,220,000,000 fame points.

That's fucking 1.22 BILLION. Christ, he must be playing it all the time. He would neck himself if he wasn't allowed to use them. Apart from unlocking cars in the original I don't get what further level caps would bring to the game, apart from a shiny number.

neck himself? Euro term for "hang himself" I'm guessing. You make a good point BTW.

Sirenty

Cheers bud :) So are you US based too? Yeah you've not see how I play the game! I stand up the entire time about a metre from my telly and have been known to nearly fall over on tight corners!

Yep, US based until we can figure out how to get to Europe full time. Ah, dreams...

Dude thank you for playing my drift challenge for this week. I spent like 50-60 attempts trying to beat your score and ended up getting my platinum trophy lol. Also notched a cool 16 000 even score :)

Nice! Glad to help, lol

No but I can imagine that's how it will work. I've earned millions of points since turning 50. I don't wanna suddenly bounce to 59 after the update.

I think you need 15.5 mil or thereabouts for level 50 - I'm on 66 mil and Ziggy is on about 120 mil I think - can't believe all those extra points are just gonna disappear.

My handbrake is L1. Why would I hold it? Aren't you supposed to e-brake just as you enter the drift?

In the UK at least the handbrake is the one you operate with your hand that locks the back wheels - just a clash of terminology.

Maybe it's my eyesight is going but yeah I stand in front of the telly when playing driveclub... My legs don't half ache after a long sesh!

So US based rally entrants :-

Bananafactory
V1lla21
LordXar
Sirenty
Postcyberpunk

So there's 5 of you + Sneaky - up to you guys if you want to run the event on a Saturday evening rather than do it in the afternoon with us. I know Postcyberpunk hasn't managed to do the live event yet so it would probably suit him better....

One last thing I forgot to mention was the race event at the end of the rally - to me it was a good reason to do one of the alternative autodromo tracks but did everyone else like it? Or would it be better to stick to pure timed stages?

Sirenty

I thought races with one opponent were fine. I wasn't a fan of the race with the full field because I feel it's more luck than skill based to get through cleanly, especially for a one off lap in an event you might not have played in a long time (or ever).

Lunar FC

Bananafactory
V1lla21
LordXar
Sirenty
Postcyberpunk

So there's 5 of you + Sneaky - up to you guys if you want to run the event on a Saturday evening rather than do it in the afternoon with us. I know Postcyberpunk hasn't managed to do the live event yet so it would probably suit him better....

I could be interested in this, just don't know how it works.

lordxar

Bananafactory
V1lla21
LordXar
Sirenty
Postcyberpunk

I'd say shoot for parties of 8 based on timezone(s). We can run the events in chat and race some multi after like we did the other day.

Apart from unlocking cars in the original I don't get what further level caps would bring to the game, apart from a shiny number.

Yea I don't really see a reason to bump the level cap to be honest. Games of yesteryear didn't have a level cap or felt the need to constantly reward the player for time spent so why should every single game nowadays do it? It's getting pretty insane. Just give us the tools and let us pave our own path.

On an unrelated note, why does the distance driven counter for vehicles and tracks take so long to update? You'd think once you exit a race the number should be updated instantly but quite often it takes tens of minutes and up to an hour at one point for it to update. Kinda dodgy!

First time playing this game in a few months tonight and the amount of updates and new content is staggering. Great job with all the support coming from Evolution. I played the game launch month and a few times since then and despite all the issues I still felt it was a good game, but I never really got hooked down into it.

Now that I'm playing with all the updates that have been added it really does feel like the game has come together very well and is living up to its potential. It's rare that a racing game makes me want to use more than a few of my favorite cars unless absolutely necessary. With this game though I really do feel as if it's car has a fairly distinct feel, and their pitfalls and strengths really shine through. It's a game that makes me constantly want to better my times through trying different car/track combinations until I find one that feels just right.

I know the game got a lot of hate in the early days, and I'm assuming most of that has subsided and rightfully so. This is a fun game and one of the best racers I've played in a long long time. Those who still haven't been able to give it a shot, I really do hope that a PS+ edition does end up coming out. Everyone deserves a chance to try this game and see what a great package it really is.

Just wanted to give my thoughts for those who are still on the fence and maybe just keep tabs on this OT to see thoughts as more and more updates hit. Definitely pick it up if you're a racing fan and have the funds to get it. I think I'm going to have to pick up the season pass myself when I can scrounge up some funds, which I wasn't planning on doing, but this game really has sold me.

Hope everyone here is enjoying the game as much as I am these days and see you all on the streets!

I could be interested in this, just don't know how it works.

You receive 7 challenges to complete in 1 hit without restarts. The time from all these challenges is added up to give you a total time which is ranked against everyone else's.

I'd say shoot for parties of 8 based on timezone(s). We can run the events in chat and race some multi after like we did the other day.

So between yourself and Bananafactory your ok running the US live event for me?

I thought races with one opponent were fine. I wasn't a fan of the race with the full field because I feel it's more luck than skill based to get through cleanly, especially for a one off lap in an event you might not have played in a long time (or ever).

This was pretty much DJW_GT's take on it too, that it was too much of a random variable.

Sounds coo. Just using the honor system on the restarts?

There is going to be a measure of honour in there, but if we wait till everyone has received the challenge before starting it would show up if someone was late finishing with a fast time. The non-live events (for people who can't make the live one) have a time limit on the challenges so risk the challenges expiring if they restart.

It's not 100% but I trust the guys. It has been suggested to me that we actually allow time for restarts to add an element of strategy to it but I want to keep with the 1 shot rallying concept.

I'm really not fond of how efficient the AI is at braking, but so inefficient at taking corners at speed, especially fast/slight bends. At legendary I'm generally smacking into the back of them through bends, but can almost never out-brake them.

OK It's finally here

5 weekly rallys to find the Driveclub rally champion!

Week 1 - Canada

The tracks are

Sinclair Pass (R)
Lytten
Cayoosh Point
Olivers Landing
Fraser Valley (R)
Maplewood x 2 (I'll confirm the track numbers later)

Please post on here to register your interest, and specify whether your booking for the EU event (10pm GMT Saturday) or the US event (TBC Saturday).

As previous events, the rally will work by sending out 7 challenges to be completed without restarts. Please join the chat channel to get the current positions & to confirm when you receive the challenge.

This is open to all players, you do not need to have a current working GAF account.

I'll confirm the championship scoring system and other details later this week. Any other questions please post on here or message me on PSN.

At the moment I am not putting a limit on the number of players. Please be aware however that this is a 5 week competition so you will need to participate in 5 events. If there is an issue and you can't make the live event then please let me know and I'll try to arrange a solo run for you.

On an unrelated note, why does the distance driven counter for vehicles and tracks take so long to update? You'd think once you exit a race the number should be updated instantly but quite often it takes tens of minutes and up to an hour at one point for it to update. Kinda dodgy!
All that stuff is stored server side, why I don't know. But that has something to do with why it doesn't update right away.

Siegmeyer

I'm in. Can't guarantee I can make every Saturday for the next five weeks, but I'll try my hardest to, and I'll give plenty of advance warning if something does come up.

lordxar

what works for me would be a Sunday night or weeknights, saturdays are pretty much impossible lol, fridays are probable most times

I'm open or can make time usually, we just need a general consensus. I definitely want the same day and time each week as much as possible just because it makes scheduling + remembering so much easier...don't make me resort to Google calendar :)

Rushy

If you live in Australia, you can grab the new DOWNFORCE & MIDNIGHT packs from the PS Store right now!

US store update should be within the the next 2-6 hours, EU is tomorrow & JPN on Thurs (with Asia following the week after)

Really looking forward to the Viper this week.

I won't be taking part in the rally championship, hope it goes smoothly.

How come bud?

Another reason why I felt I needed to change the system and announce the tracks early was because it was possible for someone to gain an unfair advantage. When I sent the challenges out for the guys who couldn't make the live event, the challenge details appear in the what's new timeline. It was also possible to access the track and car details via the friends challenges section as long as it was within an hour of me sending the challenge out.

I think the old way tests track knowledge as well as driving ability - not everyone has that knowledge, and real life rallies have pace notes and a co-driver (and they walk the track). Hopefully the new system just brings us back to how well people can drive on the day.

I would love to take part in some of these rally's but I cannot guarantee I can be on at a specific time on a specific day. I do lots of shift work and a lot of on call so my availability changes quickly and I wouldn't want to mess anyone around. I think it's awesome that there are events like this though!

All that stuff is stored server side, why I don't know. But that has something to do with why it doesn't update right away.

I figured that but then I started to wonder because leader board times (while also not instantly updated) only take about 10-15 seconds at most to update so it seems strange why the data for distance is so painfully slow.

If you live in Australia, you can grab the new DOWNFORCE & MIDNIGHT packs from the PS Store right now!

When can we expect a sale on the season pass? :D So keen to pick it up but AU store prices are ridiculous.

mr_chun

I've got three spots open in my club if anyone is looking. :)

We're rounding level 10 at the moment, but it's been slow with really only two active players.

Duallusion

That Koenigsegg One is nuts.

But I nailed three stars in its time trial in my first try and first time driving the car, with a 6 seconds faster lap time then required. And I'm no Kie25 either. :/

Had to do more then a couple of laps to get three stars for Venom Hot Lap 2, for comparison.

Is the gamma issue fixed?

And was that a problem with any other view other than in-car? I always drive with bumper.

The gamme issue was fixed and was only a problem with in-car views.

But there's a new problem now with saturation/brightness that seems to affect all tracks and all views.

Strider

Been such a busy day I forgot all about the new cars/tours until reading this thread.. Downloaded the new stuff and first thing was test out the VUHL 05 on the newest Japan track. Love it :D

I'm actually number 1 on the leaderboards for this car/track combo at the moment. Gotta brag about while I can until more people can get around to downloading the new stuff :p lol

Sorry, that's what I meant. The problem that eventuated with the last update... it still exists?

Yup, there's been no game update yet. I don't think they'll put out one specifically to address this, I assume the fix will just be rolled in with whatever the next major update is, like the gamma fix was.

hawk2025

Maybe it's because I haven't played it in about a month, but I think they reduced the collision penalties too much :(

I'm feeling like a lot of the precision required to make a nice corner is lost once the penalty for using the walls was reduced. Sure, it's still better to race properly, but the tradeoff seems to have been slanted towards crashing way too much.

Am I crazy here? Just not used to the game anymore?

Top Bottom