• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

kie25

Hey Kie, I was thinking you should do a beat the stig type of event - you do a lap of a track is the worst car of its class (like the Maserati or the CTR2) and post the vid on here, and we have to try to beat it in whatever car we choose! :)

Yeah I'll prolly be on to cheer myself up after Bloodborne has murdered me all evening!

Yes sounds good, ill try get 1 for next week or something, and I beat that caterham time on my 2nd lap ha, think I could get a late 25 or something there.

Yes sounds good, ill try get 1 for next week or something, and I beat that caterham time on my 2nd lap ha, think I could get a late 25 or something there.

Crazy. Just watching the vid you posted before moved me from 9th to third in a few laps. Must get better but it feels like I'm so close but have a long way to go, just making up a second feels almost impossible.

Duallusion

Lol I just had a race with a dirty ass player.

There's quite a lot of those, even the so-called "good" ones. If you won by slamming others in the wall and using other cars as personal guard rails in the corners, you're not a good racer, you're just a fast cunt who knows the track.

It's almost a joy to get beaten by GregAlya, DJW, Ken_Worlds, Leiwulong and some others I've friended/run into, but some children really spoil the fun. Hopefully we'll have a nice, clean, active GAF private lobby, when they add them.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I thought I saw Private Lobbies added in the most recent patch notes?

*edit*
Nm, it was listed at the bottom saying coming after v1.12. My bad.

v1lla21

There's quite a lot of those, even the so-called "good" ones. If you won by slamming others in the wall and using other cars as personal guard rails in the corners, you're not a good racer, you're just a fast cunt who knows the track.

It's almost a joy to get beaten by GregAlya, DJW, Ken_Worlds, Leiwulong and some others I've friended/run into, but some children really spoil the fun. Hopefully we'll have a nice, clean, active GAF private lobby, when they add them.
Yeah it pisses me off. Especially when you're doing good and they'll make you lose control so you end up close to last place.

This guy brake checked me twice as I was drafting. I ended up getting a penalty on both occasions. I had never seen someone do that in a racing game.

Well, drafting will allow you to overtake them, so they brake check to prevent that. I hate the bashing and shit when you are in 6-12th place... really you wanna bash me to place 11th rather than 12th? But really, it is all about saving their position.

As for Dual's point, I don't mind the scraping/nudging on turns, as that is difficult to prevent in large groups. But outright slamming is generally frowned upon. I mean, it's a racing game, contact is going to happen, even with the best players.

kie25

Private lobbies can't come faster enough, this was 2 laps me and DJW GT had against each other, in 2 totally different cars.

https://youtu.be/RwcCOTb1RXQ

I tend to avoid online though as it really annoys me the people online, racing against fast people is so much easier to be clean as you know there going to brake at the latest possible place, the amount times I've had to slam on because people are braking 50-100 yards to soon is really annoying, nearly as annoying as the people who don't brake at all.

It will be interesting to see if any league racing kicks off with private lobbies, I really hope it does 25 lap races or more would be great fun.

Duallusion

As for Dual's point, I don't mind the scraping/nudging on turns, as that is difficult to prevent in large groups. But outright slamming is generally frowned upon. I mean, it's a racing game, contact is going to happen, even with the best players.

I agree that contact is unavoidable and I didn't want to paint all of it with the same brush. Hell, I'm guilty of it too all the time because my lines and braking points are far from perfect and I make way too many mistakes to be anything other then above average. I was just ranting a bit about the kind of assholes that are so obsessed with winning, that no maneuver is below them.

I agree that contact is unavoidable and I didn't want to paint all of it with the same brush.

Yes, people behind me sometimes have a difficult time as I vary cornering, braking, etc. to try and find the best line... or at least that is what I tell myself, really I am not skilled enough to race the same line twice. lol

I have just kicked someone out of my club to add a friend who got the game this week. My club ranking is now showing 1. Please don't say I've lost my ranking have I?

It takes a minute to reset. It didn't wipe.

Going to set up party chat at 1130 EST and prepare for multi. If you want to race, but aren't on my FL, just send me a request with GAF in the comments. I should be on for at least two hours. Oh, I may be on a little before to try and get the last two stars I need, but I will dump out early if I see anyone.

Yes, people behind me sometimes have a difficult time as I vary cornering, braking, etc. to try and find the best line... or at least that is what I tell myself, really I am not skilled enough to race the same line twice. lol

It takes a minute to reset. It didn't wipe.

Going to set up party chat at 1130 EST and prepare for multi. If you want to race, but aren't on my FL, just send me a request with GAF in the comments. I should be on for at least two hours. Oh, I may be on a little before to try and get the last two stars I need, but I will dump out early if I see anyone.

That's great news. Thanks

kie25

Seems like many friends have bought Driveclub recently I've noticed loads people from f1 are now playing Driveclub, I would say that the server problems are load on them, add the lambo dlc in and everyone will be bk on Driveclub, what this shows is that the ps plus version will be way off, as they just don't seem to be able to cope with any sort of high volumn. And I can't see evo releasing the ps plus if there is even a 1% chance of things going wrong, the backlash would be far to severe.

I wonder what's going on - they'd been steadily improving but have seemed worse this past week. It was taking ages to update the leaderboard on the couple of tour events I managed to squeeze in this morning.

I'm quite tired of it, honestly. I can get serious hours in on the weekends, during the day, but that is when they seem to have the most trouble.

Oh, well. At least I hit 675/675 before you. lol

Just bought the game today, downloaded the patch and the free DLC. Gaf is there a club I can join? I'm still getting used to the physics of the game after retiring forza horizon 2. Really wanna see some friend vs stats as i race is that possible? Or do I need to add people and have a lot of friends? If so feel free to add my PSN is the same as my username. Also wanna add I'm not super competitive I just like to have fun and appreciate the beauty of these vehicles.

This game is absolutely gorgeous, but as I said still getting used to those physics. Any tips for a new #driveclub racer? As a fan of racing games I've bern waiting to get into this game and give it the appreciation it deserves.

Duallusion

Welcome to "the club", Davidfoundation. ;)

There are always some spots open in someone's club (limited to six members) around here so you probably won't have a hard time joining one.

Somebody in here made a DRIVECLUB-GAF account you could try to friend and then add all of its friends but I don't know when/if that person is still checking it.

As for the tips, maybe somebody else can help you with them since I drive mostly "on instinct." I'd guess general rules apply, everything else will come along as you play/practice.

If it turns out you fell in love with the game like a lot of us here, I'd recomend the season pass, which is considered to be of great value.

Welcome to "the club", Davidfoundation. ;)
Somebody in here made a DRIVECLUB-GAF account you could try to friend and then add all of its friends but I don't know when/if that person is still checking it.

Just sending a friendship request to DRIVECLUB-GAF is enough, he doesn't have to be accepted by the creator of that account. After that he can start adding people on its friend list.

Duallusion

Just sending a friendship request to DRIVECLUB-GAF is enough, he doesn't have to be accepted by the creator of that account. After that he can start adding people on its friend list.

Oh, didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. Too bad we can't have sticky links to posts on every page. :)

nib95

Banned
Just bought the game today, downloaded the patch and the free DLC. Gaf is there a club I can join? I'm still getting used to the physics of the game after retiring forza horizon 2. Really wanna see some friend vs stats as i race is that possible? Or do I need to add people and have a lot of friends? If so feel free to add my PSN is the same as my username. Also wanna add I'm not super competitive I just like to have fun and appreciate the beauty of these vehicles.

This game is absolutely gorgeous, but as I said still getting used to those physics. Any tips for a new #driveclub racer? As a fan of racing games I've bern waiting to get into this game and give it the appreciation it deserves.

I find feathering the throttle (e.g. laying off the acceleration, then back on, then off, on etc) is often times more rewarding in correcting trajectory or getting the right angle mid turn, than actual braking, the latter dropping speed too much. The other thing is the basic fundamental of racing which is slow in, fast out on harder corners. You want the best maximum exit speed, so try and set up those harder corners so that you're only needing to brake at the start, and can accelerate out with full throttle on the exit, building up maximum momentum and speed for the oncoming straight. If you overcook the corner and start going too wide, feathering the throttle or just laying off the gas with some sharper steer till you're back on the right line.

The other thing is, try not to be shy about mildly cutting corner apexes, even if it means one side of your car cuts some dirt or rumble strip. Often in doing this you can shave off some added time as your cornering distance will be reduced, as will the amount you need to slow down for the turn. However, be careful not to do this with certain vehicles or on certain angles, especially longer turns, as you will glue to strip or dirt and get drawn in or lose traction.

The only other thing I can thing off as a basic, is that with some of the faster and more crazy hyper cars (Venom, One:1 etc) sometimes gradually applying acceleration will prevent you from swerving about and losing traction. Otherwise you only really want to hammer it down when your wheels are completely straight, or there isn't too much of a camber or angle to the road.

Sorry to go off-topic , I bought this game for my little brother mainly and he's locked out of some cars due to his club level being low - I bought him the season pass. Would somebody mind inviting me to a club which would allow him to unlock the remaining locked cars - he's obviously not going to be able to play multiplayer so if there's a member limit i understand >_<. I've played 1-2 hours so I'm not sure on the specifics... Thanks!

ajcacio

Banned
Sorry to go off-topic , I bought this game for my little brother mainly and he's locked out of some cars due to his club level being low - I bought him the season pass. Would somebody mind inviting me to a club which would allow him to unlock the remaining locked cars - he's obviously not going to be able to play multiplayer so if there's a member limit i understand >_<. I've played 1-2 hours so I'm not sure on the specifics... Thanks!

He can join my club Hot A55, level 27 I think. It's pretty much just me and I don't play online. It should be open for him to just join.

I have a slightly off-topic comment and don't know where else to share it.

I have a new appreciation for DriveClub's cockpit camera and the care taken in rendering the inside of the cars. This weekend—thanks to an amazing birthday present from my wife—I had the good fortune of driving a Ferrari F430 for ten minutes. It was amazing.

Before going to the track, I raced a few laps in DC in the F430. And I'm shocked at how “comfortable” the car felt when I sunk into the driver's seat. Visually, at least.

The car felt much different, of course. Just so many sensations! The way the engine gurgled and growled when I hit the throttle, pressing my lower spine into the seat back. I'm in love.

Here's the beast.
16778304058_27c81331d7_b.jpg

I have a new appreciation for DriveClub's cockpit camera and the care taken in rendering the inside of the cars. This weekend—thanks to an amazing birthday present from my wife—I had the good fortune of driving a Ferrari F430 for ten minutes. It was amazing.

Before going to the track, I raced a few laps in DC in the F430. And I'm shocked at how “comfortable” the car felt when I sunk into the driver's seat. Visually, at least.

The car felt much different, of course. Just so many sensations! The way the engine gurgled and growled when I hit the throttle, pressing my lower spine into the seat back. I'm in love.

Here's the beast.

Sick birthday present! Also yeah Driveclub's attention to the cockpit and the overall feel of view is sensational.

Here's the beast.
Very good. And only six cones knocked over, too.

Thank you all for the response, last night I realized the flags were indicators for the player didn't even realize it haha.

Yep that's one of the main things to know actually seeing as there's no driving line apart from the odd Faceoff :) Memorising tracks and braking points is one of the key differences to the other rival games.

Auctopus

Added the GAF Drive club account, don't know if I wanna send random friend requests though out of respect to people's privacy or whatever reason haha

The most active members of this thread are the best to add tbh. Most of the accounts you'll find on that PSN probably don't play much.

You can add me: 'Auctopus' however I'm knee deep in Yharnam atm.

Added the GAF Drive club account, don't know if I wanna send random friend requests though out of respect to people's privacy or whatever reason haha

There was a list of names posted several times on here of some of the more active guys with challenges etc - might be a bit out of date now tho

Of the top of my head try adding

Alexisbrilliant (Mango Chutney)
Nibzy (Nibs95)
DHC-Shannow (me :)
Postcyberpunk (himself)
Anthonynputson (putty)

I think Bloodborne is taking its toll tho, my friends list is showing more playing that than DC at the mo (and it was filled with GAF DC).

Edit: You don't want to add that guy ^ ;-) He will kick yo ass! Hehe

Awesome, will add those people. I don't mind if they aren't frequently on drive club it's more for online leaderboard stuff makes it fun for me. Besides gaffers are usually cool people & I wouldn't at all mind being friends with any of you lol. I would definitely join up to play with some gaffers for fun. I'm also playing through Bloodborne right now but whenever I get too frustrated I switch over to DC.

Denur

Awesome, will add those people. I don't mind if they aren't frequently on drive club it's more for online leaderboard stuff makes it fun for me. Besides gaffers are usually cool people & I wouldn't at all mind being friends with any of you lol. I would definitely join up to play with some gaffers for fun. I'm also playing through Bloodborne right now but whenever I get too frustrated I switch over to DC.
Go ahead and add me too (Denur).

Sickbean

Pretty much exactly what I'm doing.

Feel free to add me for easy to beat leaderboard times - Sickbean82 on PSN.

Top Bottom