• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I'm looking for a club as well. Still fairly new to this game (and driving in general, lol) but would love to help level up. Feel free to add me: EspanaJefff

I play most weeknights and weekends... I won't be back on until Wednesday this week, so if you guys want to add me, no probs. I am still completely hooked on DC, so I'm waiting to buy Bloodborne.

Anyone can add me. I have the season pack, and usually post some decent times. I'm usualy top 3-4 in my friends, with several top spots sprinkled in there. I don't play much multi, but that's because hardly any of my friends are still playing this online. Would love to team up with some of you and tear it up online as well.

PSN ID: RJN

Just say you're a GAFfer :)

v1lla21

Add me for n00dz: v1lla21.

I play all the time. I don't post times though as I mostly just do drifting events. I do play multiplayer.

I have a slightly off-topic comment and don't know where else to share it.

I have a new appreciation for DriveClub's cockpit camera and the care taken in rendering the inside of the cars. This weekend—thanks to an amazing birthday present from my wife—I had the good fortune of driving a Ferrari F430 for ten minutes. It was amazing.

Before going to the track, I raced a few laps in DC in the F430. And I'm shocked at how “comfortable” the car felt when I sunk into the driver's seat. Visually, at least.

The car felt much different, of course. Just so many sensations! The way the engine gurgled and growled when I hit the throttle, pressing my lower spine into the seat back. I'm in love.

Here's the beast.
16778304058_27c81331d7_b.jpg

I did something similar last year. My wife got me a driving experience at Silverstone Racing Circuit in the UK. I drove the Fezza F430, Aston Martin V8 Vantage and the Nissan GTR round Silverstone. Absolutely amazing day.

For my birthday just gone, my wife has bought me another driving experience but this time I've gone for the Ariel Atom at Brands Hatch. That's going to be insane.

farmerboy

Added the GAF Drive club account, don't know if I wanna send random friend requests though out of respect to people's privacy or whatever reason haha

Add me buddy, no probs. Everyone else here is top tier, I'm your Average Joe. You don't want all top tier on the leaderboard, it gets depressing.

farmerboy007

Also, hoping someone can shed some light on this. A friend of mine and I play most nights in a joint session. Lately, it seems to be kicking him out all the time. Literally. Last time it was 6 disconnects in a row. Last night we played 3 straight without a hitch, then another 5 disconnects. Its driving him mad, me too. He's tried a different modem, we've each tried being the session leader. Closing the app and restarting. Signing out of psn and back in. Stopping party chat. We even make sure that our ps4s aren't downloading or uploading to the cloud.

Once it starts disconnecting him, he can't even get in on his own. He's got a better connection than me too.

Is there anything we're missing?

Everyone else here is top tier, I'm your Average Joe.

Is there anything we're missing?

No raced with me yet, huh? :) I think you are a few spots ahead of me on most leaderboards.

And I'm really not trying to beat a dead horse, but the netcode is seriously wonky... sometimes it's great--no disconnects, smooth racing--and sometimes it is buggy as all hell and not the fault of your connect, etc. A crapshoot, to be sure. It's the one serious downer about the game.

lordxar

Can add me as well but I'm sitting waiting on coop partners in Bloodborne...need to get back to DC soon though.

Edit: LordXarsNexus almost forgot that part

farmerboy

No raced with me yet, huh? :)

I bloody got up at 4:30am checked the app and you weren't on :). Couldn't sleep after that so I kept checking every half hour or so and you still weren't on. Most everyone else was playing Bloodborne (I got it too but I'm gonna wait for the patch) so I didn't bother getting on. Wasn't till I checked GAF at breakfast I saw your post about the shitty servers.

Don't worry, you'll get a chance to kick my arse :)

^^ Great vid Xeno, great choice of music.

nib95

Banned
Had quite a few tough races tonight, doing the different Tour events trying to get competitive times with some of the top lot on my friends list. Especially hard were those Chevrolet, Corvette and VUHL05 wet races/championships in the Midnight Tour. Those particular vehicles just handle terribly. The VUHL05 with a twitchy nature whilst still having tonnes of understeer, and the Z06 feeling somewhat bloated and slide happy.

In any case, sent you guys a Drift Club Challenge. Feel free to give it a shot!

So I've had some time to sink my teeth into the gorgeous replays at the end of each race and would like to add some feedback as to what i think would improve them:
Much less reliance on showing vehicle cameras in "Replay" mode- There is way too many times where you are presented with angles showing the cars tires, rear end etc which takes up most of the screen. I think there should be a strong bias of "Trackside" cameras as well as throwing in a few of the "Vehicle" angles.

Trackside cameras should zoom in closer to the cars much more often- Of course show off the outstanding environments but equally show off the amazing car models. What I mean photographically is for the "Trackside Cameras" to mimic a strong telephoto lens zoomed up close to the cars more often; not the over reliance on "Vehicle Cameras" with wide angled shots which are so prevalent.

The cuts are often too quick in "Replay"- Has been mentioned by others already but yeah...you sometimes miss the action, dont really need to elaborate on this.

Other than that, great work once again by EVO.

Below is my previous request about the wheels/alloys not blurring in replay mode just in case it was missed:

@Rushy

I personally think you've done a very good job at replays, thanks very much for adding this important and long overdue feature.

Other people in this thread have made valid constructive feedback regarding replays and for me, the biggest issue that sticks out like a sore thumb is the complete lack of motion blur on the car alloys/tires when the cars are at speed. This completely breaks the immersion for replay eye-candy because it appears that the cars are moving much slower than they should and looks artificial.

I'd like to request that the cars(at least in replays, gameplay is a bonus) receive motion blur on the alloys/tires in a future game update....only because it appears that it isnt too hardware intensive and was actually a feature properly implemented 2 generations on Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2.

Below are some examples of exactly what I'm referring to in other games from an older generation:

Gran Turismo 3: (basic implimentation without full screen motion but very convincing nonetheless for the effective blurring of the alloys/tires- which is my point)

hyU4srlQ

Gran Turismo 5: (Best examples)

CaaqTLQy

VkfYdhjS

Project Gotham Racing 4:

eHy7qeE6

Project Gotham Racing 3:

ZbjQRllh

...and here is a screenshot I took today of a Driveclub replay where you can clearly see the lack of motion blur on the Ferrari's alloys/tires even though you can see the background is blurring slightly to convey at least some form of movement:

Fd52iHNC

I hope this can be patched in at some point soon Paul, thanks so much again for the continued amazing post launch support for this game.

Strider

I was late getting around to it because I was out of town but finally did the lambo tour yesterday. Shiiiiit they handle so amazing. Best car pack yet :D

I say this as a very average driver... But I'm finally in agreement the tours are too easy at this point. I breezed through it no problem at all. Given how good some of you are it wouldn't surprise me if you got all the stars first time through each event.

Is the other new tour around the same difficulty?

Ebolarama

Banned
Below is my previous request about the wheels/alloys not blurring in replay mode just in case it was missed:

I personally like the lack of motion blur. While it may convey some sense of speed, I always find myself trying to resolve it when taking pictures on games that feature blur in photo mode (Horizon 2 recently). I think it looks phony when it appears in video games generally. An option to see or disable it would be good, but only as an option. I think the wheels, tires, calipers, discs, etc. look too good in DC to obscure them with blur. So I'm not disagreeing entirely, I would simply like another option.

I personally like the lack of motion blur. While it may convey some sense of speed, I always find myself trying to resolve it when taking pictures on games that feature blur in photo mode (Horizon 2 recently). I think it looks phony when it appears in video games generally. An option to see or disable it would be good, but only as an option. I think the wheels, tires, calipers, discs, etc. look too good in DC to obscure them with blur. So I'm not disagreeing entirely, I would simply like another option.

If you're trying to take pics in replay/photomode while trying to visually resolve all the details of wheels/rims for example, you can always just stop the car completely to capture it all and make it look realistic.

Have you also tried resolving car alloy detail in real life when the vehicle is moving? Heh, even at a low-ish speed it would be impossible to see nothing but blur...due to the way our eyes work.

Can we have photo mode settings saved? I'm sick of having to put in my preferred settings every time I enter.

Evos also needs to scrap making these DLC tours and implement a custom tour creator to go along with the future course creator, additional cars would covered under this premium service thing Sony mentioned when they announced the culling.

Do it.

Can we have photo mode settings saved? I'm sick of having to put in my preferred settings every time I enter.

Evos also needs to scrap making these DLC tours and implement a custom tour creator to go along with the future course creator, additional cars would covered under this premium service thing Sony mentioned when they announced the culling.

Do it.
The thing is aside from maybe desired filter effects and penchant for a particular bokeh shape, the other settings should really be dependent on the photo.

Shutter speed for example, if you like a particular blurred-ness, it won't always be 1/250 because it varies on the speed you're travelling. Focal distance will of course always be different etc.

But yeah I am looking forward to the course creator.

kie25

Do it.

What course creator are you talking about there has been no announced course creater, and I find it very unlikely to ever be announced.

kie25

Also people like the tours, I like getting high in leaderboards, if there was only custom tours there would be nothing to aim for in the game. With tours that everyone has to do, beating everyone's times gives you something to do.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Also people like the tours, I like getting high in leaderboards, if there was only custom tours there would be nothing to aim for in the game. With tours that everyone has to do, beating everyone's times gives you something to do.

I tend to see tours as tutorials for the cars. With the DLC tours for car packs especially, you get a good shakedown of every vehicle and learn how to drive it well.

Do it.

Challenges are basically custom tour events. And I don't think we will ever get a course creator.

Shaneus

Yyyup. I'm exactly the same re: tuning/modding cars as well. At least you know with a specific car that everyone's on the same level. One of the reasons I liken DC to PGR and why I think FH2 will never feel like it at all.

New upcoming car rankings list coming tonight!
Love your work. It feels like it's almost cheating, but your findings are still a great read.

Ebolarama

Banned
If you're trying to take pics in replay/photomode while trying to visually resolve all the details of wheels/rims for example, you can always just stop the car completely to capture it all and make it look realistic.

Have you also tried resolving car alloy detail in real life when the vehicle is moving? Heh, even at a low-ish speed it would be impossible to see nothing but blur...due to the way our eyes work.

To answer your first point, I take most of my shots when I'm driving and I see a cool angle or a spectacular light ray glint off the paint or a cool pass, so usually it's spur of the moment and I don't have to worry that the wheels are going to have an ugly, video gamey blur.
To answer your second point, I've never tried to photograph a hyper car in real life as I am not a professional photographer. I've watched races at Road America and Road Atlanta and didn't even bother trying to bring my camera into action because it would've been pointless.

Shaneus

It's actually easier to just reduce the shutter speed to the shortest possible time.

Added the GAF Drive club account, don't know if I wanna send random friend requests though out of respect to people's privacy or whatever reason haha
That's why people are on there... add away! I'm on there as Shaneus2k2 if you wanted to kickstart your DC friends list :)

Gandalf

Finally got the Platinum! Yay! (58th FWIW)

Got all the stars too. Seemed kind of fitting I got the plat on the final race of the Pacesetter championship.

I absolutely loved the Lambo DLC. Amazing cars. Probably my favourite DLC pack yet.

Its been fun GAF. I'll probably move on to Bloodborne for the foreseeable future... I'll probably return when the next batch of DLC hits though.

Cheers Rushy and all the devs, you made one hell of a game.

IKizzLE

Alright, updated list. A lot of times have been updated to get rid of inconsistencies. Lambos have been added and adjusted according to the data being fresh. So here is your unofficial car tier list. Any surprises?

Koenigsegg One:1
Hennessey Venom GT
Pagani Zonda R
Mclaren F1 LM
Koenigsegg Agera R
Mclaren P1
Gumpert Apollo Enraged
Ferrari 599XX Evolutionize
Lamborghini Veveno
Peugot Onyx
Pagani Huayra
W Motors Lykan Hypersport
Jaguar C-X75
Ferrari Enzo
Ruf CTR3 ClubSport

Caterham SP/300R
BAC Mono
Renault Twin Run
Ariel Atom 500
VUHL 05
Mazzanti Evantra
Mclaren 650S
Mclaren 12C
Ruf RT12 R
Lamborghini Aventador
Lamborghini Huracan
Lamborghini Gallardo SC
Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
GTA Spano
Icona Vulcano
Ferrari 458 Speciale
Ferrari F50
Ferrari 458 Italia
Aston Martin One-77
Ferrari 430 Scuderia
Savage Rivale GTR-S
Mercedes SLS AMG
KTM X Bow R
Renault Alpine A110-50
Chevy Corvette ZR1
Dodge SRT Viper GTS
Audi R8 V10 Plus
Ferrari 599 GTO
Marussia B2
Mercedes SLS AMG E
Aston Martin Vantage

Ruf RGT 8
Ferrari FF
Mercedes AMG GT S
Chevy Corvette Z06
Chevy Corvette Stingray
Lotus Exige S
Caterham R500 Superlight
Aston Martin Vanquish
Mercedes SL 65 AMG
BMW M5 2013
BMW M5 2011
BMW M4
Aston Martin Zagato
Bentley Continental GT Speed
Audi RS6 Avant
Mercedes C63 AMG Black
Jaguar F Type R
BMW M3 GTS
Ferrari California
Spyker C8 Aileron
Alfa Romeo 4C
Maserati GranTurismo

Renault Dezir
Audi RS5 Coupe
Lotus Evora S Sports Racer
Audi TT RS Plus
Bentley Continental GT V8
BMW M235i
Mercedes CLA 45 AMG
Mercedes A45 AMG
BMW M135

Volkswagon Golf
Mini John Cooper Works GP
Renault Clio RS
Volkswagon Beetle
Audi A1 Quattro

VanWinkle

Do it.

Oh my goodness, I can't believe you're STILL talking about this course creator like it is an actual thing.

Shaneus

Alright, updated list. A lot of times have been updated to get rid of inconsistencies. Lambos have been added and adjusted according to the data being fresh. So here is your unofficial car tier list. Any surprises?
The only surprise is why we haven't more Hot Hatch and Sports cars :(

Duallusion

VUHL that high, huh? And I was hoping Veneno would be higher; I really enjoy driving it. :/

nib95

Banned

Koenigsegg One:1
Hennessey Venom GT
Pagani Zonda R
Mclaren F1 LM
Koenigsegg Agera R
Mclaren P1
Gumpert Apollo Enraged
Ferrari 599XX Evolutionize
Lamborghini Veveno
Peugot Onyx
Pagani Huayra
W Motors Lykan Hypersport
Jaguar C-X75
Ferrari Enzo
Ruf CTR3 ClubSport

Caterham SP/300R
BAC Mono
Renault Twin Run
Ariel Atom 500
VUHL 05
Mazzanti Evantra
Mclaren 650S
Mclaren 12C
Ruf RT12 R
Lamborghini Aventador
Lamborghini Huracan
Lamborghini Gallardo SC
Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
GTA Spano
Icona Vulcano
Ferrari 458 Speciale
Ferrari F50
Ferrari 458 Italia
Aston Martin One-77
Ferrari 430 Scuderia
Savage Rivale GTR-S
Mercedes SLS AMG
KTM X Bow R
Renault Alpine A110-50
Chevy Corvette ZR1
Dodge SRT Viper GTS
Audi R8 V10 Plus
Ferrari 599 GTO
Marussia B2
Mercedes SLS AMG E
Aston Martin Vantage

Ruf RGT 8
Ferrari FF
Mercedes AMG GT S
Chevy Corvette Z06
Chevy Corvette Stingray
Lotus Exige S
Caterham R500 Superlight
Aston Martin Vanquish
Mercedes SL 65 AMG
BMW M5 2013
BMW M5 2011
BMW M4
Aston Martin Zagato
Bentley Continental GT Speed
Audi RS6 Avant
Mercedes C63 AMG Black
Jaguar F Type R
BMW M3 GTS
Ferrari California
Spyker C8 Aileron
Alfa Romeo 4C
Maserati GranTurismo

Renault Dezir
Audi RS5 Coupe
Lotus Evora S Sports Racer
Audi TT RS Plus
Bentley Continental GT V8
BMW M235i
Mercedes CLA 45 AMG
Mercedes A45 AMG
BMW M135

Volkswagon Golf
Mini John Cooper Works GP
Renault Clio RS
Volkswagon Beetle
Audi A1 Quattro

As always, appreciate your lists dude.

VUHL that high, huh? And I was hoping Veneno would be higher; I really enjoy driving it. :/

Maybe enough people just haven't set times for it yet? I actually posted slightly better times with the Veneno than I did the P1 or Zonda R on certain tracks.

To answer your first point, I take most of my shots when I'm driving and I see a cool angle or a spectacular light ray glint off the paint or a cool pass, so usually it's spur of the moment and I don't have to worry that the wheels are going to have an ugly, video gamey blur.
To answer your second point, I've never tried to photograph a hyper car in real life as I am not a professional photographer. I've watched races at Road America and Road Atlanta and didn't even bother trying to bring my camera into action because it would've been pointless.
lol so our own human eyes create "video gamey blur" when looking at wheels in motion on a vehicle? When this blur happens, its not some effect from a camera...its what we physically see with our own eyes. Why its like that?...someone more scientifically knowledgeable would have to chime in cause technically I wouldnt do a good job of explaining.

It's actually easier to just reduce the shutter speed to the shortest possible time.
Haha, that is correct also

Duallusion

Maybe enough people just haven't set times for it yet? I actually posted slightly better times with the Veneno than I did the P1 or Zonda R on certain tracks.

That's what I'm hoping but it probably won't be quite at the top - below One:1, that is.

Btw, quite a few people saw Driveclub as a spiritual successor to PGR which I didn't agree with too much but could totally understand why folks would say it.

Heh, now that we've got this Spotify app.....goddamn I see it......I feel it!!! :O
Its amazing and now really feels like PGR in a new gen. Was getting the feels last night when I was listening to a random playlist of mostly garbage new pop songs which adds immensely to the appeal.......I'm dead serious too.

Anyone remember some of the terrible J-Pop songs on the radio stations in Metropolis Street Racer and PGR? I loved listening to it while racing and in the PGR 1 replays. The american stations had some embarrassing songs too although there were some legit good tracks too :p

Dommel

Btw, quite a few people saw Driveclub as a spiritual successor to PGR which I didn't agree with too much but could totally understand why folks would say it.

Heh, now that we've got this Spotify app.....goddamn I see it......I feel it!!! :O
Its amazing and now really feels like PGR in a new gen. Was getting the feels last night when I was listening to a random playlist of mostly garbage new pop songs which adds immensely to the appeal.......I'm dead serious too.

Anyone remember some of the terrible J-Pop songs on the radio stations in Metropolis Street Racer and PGR? I loved listening to it while racing and in the PGR 1 replays. The american stations had some embarrassing songs too although there were some legit good tracks too :p

I started DC yesterday just to try out the Spotify app, played it straight for 5-6 hours. It's like a whole different game with your own soundtrack.

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
What!!! You guys are just now experiencing DC with custom music!! It add so much more depth to the experience, I did it day one of the PS update.

Also, that tier list looks pretty accurate. My main car is Pagani Zonda R and after playing with the Veneno, you can easily tell just by the acceleration that the Zonda R is definitely in a higher tier. The Veneno's stats are off, it shows better stats than the Zonda R but I don't see it. It doesn't accelerate faster. The only thing I can say about the Veneno is that the breaks are insane, on a dime. That can push for closer stops in a corner to gain time, but I still don't see getting Zonda R times.

I played with the Veneno all day, adjusting to it, getting my best time on a track. I then switched to the Zonda R and I beat that time in a couple of tries by a few secs.

And to end my post, I'm making a DC music video showcasing the awesomeness of DC. I should be done with it by the end of the week. Trust me, it'll make the game look so epic.

nib95

Banned
That's what I'm hoping but it probably won't be quite at the top - below One:1, that is.

Oh definitely, the One:1 is an entirely different kettle of fish. I do wish I had a wheel for vehicles like it and the twitchier roadsters though. I feel like analogue sticks are too sensitive for these beasts, and that unless you have a super precise and delicate touch, it'd be much easier to maintain traction and overall finesse with a wheel. But there are other vehicles that understeer heavily where a pad would likely benefit.

Oh definitely, the One:1 is an entirely different kettle of fish. I do wish I had a wheel for vehicles like it and the twitchier roadsters though. I feel like analogue sticks are too sensitive for these beasts, and that unless you have a super precise and delicate touch, it'd be much easier to maintain traction and overall finesse with a wheel. But there are other vehicles that understeer heavily where a pad would likely benefit.

I've found that pushing up on the left stick, and keeping it pressed against the plastic at all times, helps a lot when making smoother, more precise turns.

Give it a try if you haven't already.

Top Bottom