• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Saw this today
Our polish dude has multiple jet engines on his car

sslrdx.PNG

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Seriously, I've had so much fun playing, but the corner and collision penalties seem completely random from corner to corner and it can be infuriating.

Ehhh... I think there's some reason to the madness? I don't get penalized for clearly going off track on that small S turn before the tunnel entrance, but I think their reasoning for that is it's not worth it having you slow down too much to take the turn carefully to avoid the penalty, for fun's sake. But the one I do get penalized seems like a more technical turn rather than a quick S-bend that anyone would just breeze through since it's such a short segment of the track. Whereas I'd be clearly invalidating a turn by cutting that corner I got penalized for...? I don't know.. It just seems like a more "important" turn, hence it's under penalty.

"Small" glitch?

Challenge system is broken too then. Not just server load problems,

Awesome.

Can you tell that I'm mad.

Maybe if I upload a picture of this kitten aim currently choking?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
"Small" glitch?

Challenge system is broken too then. Not just server load problems,

Awesome.

Can you tell that I'm mad.

Maybe if I upload a picture of this kitten aim currently choking?

Put the kitten down... Go for a relaxing drive on the Canadian country side... Pick a slower ride so you can take in the views better... ;)

Saw this today
Our polish dude has multiple jet engines on his car

sslrdx.PNG

WTF... hahah

Also, guys, please don't be mad at me... but I have a theory on this fuck up. Just read it. It's just a theory, just an idea, could be wrong, whatever.

You guys remember many months ago we had one of our insiders saying he heard bad things about Evolution and that they had a series of issues during the development of Driveclub? Well, right after that the former director posted here saying he actually had a problem in his family (his son was sick, needed treatment, something like that) and that was the reason he had to leave his job. Obviously he said the truth, I'm not saying he didn't. But there could have been more to the story... they could have, actually, been through some serious issues during the development of the title. I mean... when they announced the game, they said this was what they wanted to do for many many years and that they actually registered the title 'Driveclub' in the early 2000's. Now think about it. They always wanted to make that game, and then they started creating it for the PS4, who knows when... but probably not a week before announcing the game. I'd say at least one year before... but given how much interest they had in the title, probably 2+ years. So how did such an important title end up with only ~50 cars, ~20 unique locations, and with the online mode busted? Oh, and the game was delayed almost a whole year.

I mean... it just makes sense.

fixuis

I have an alternate theory to provide and have been wondering this for quite some time. I think they purposefully delayed the ps plus version so that they could get as much sales as possible without it and when they've hit a pre-determinded sales/time ratio they will release the plus version. Not sure who would have decided this eve or sony but have been wondering if this makes any sense at all or could be true.

Topi

Banned
WTF... hahah

Also, guys, please don't be mad at me... but I have a theory on this fuck up. Just read it. It's just a theory, just an idea, could be wrong, whatever.

You guys remember many months ago we had one of our insiders saying he heard bad things about Evolution and that they had a series of issues during the development of Driveclub? Well, right after that the former director posted here saying he actually had a problem in his family (his son was sick, needed treatment, something like that) and that was the reason he had to leave his job. Obviously he said the truth, I'm not saying he didn't. But there could have been more to the story... they could have, actually, been through some serious issues during the development of the title. I mean... when they announced the game, they said this was what they wanted to do for many many years and that they actually registered the title 'Driveclub' in the early 2000's. Now think about it. They always wanted to make that game, and then they started creating it for the PS4, who knows when... but probably not a week before announcing the game. I'd say at least one year before... but given how much interest they had in the title, probably 2+ years. So how did such an important title end up with only ~50 cars, ~20 unique locations, and with the online mode busted? Oh, and the game was delayed almost a whole year.

So your theory about this fuck up is that... the development was a fuck up? No shit.

Philly40

I'm probably a bit behind in progress compared to most posters on here, but I really struggled with the semi-pro championship event, took at least 10-15 tries to win it.

I had to resort to ramming Alfie Fucking Saunders in his RUF on the last lap of the the third race.

Am I proud of myself? Absolutely not.

Would I do it again? Absolutely yes.

I have an alternate theory to provide and have been wondering this for quite some time. I think they purposefully delayed the ps plus version so that they could get as much sales as possible without it and when they've hit a pre-determinded sales/time ratio they will release the plus version. Not sure who would have decided this eve or sony but have been wondering if this makes any sense at all or could be true.
I don't think there is any conspiracy here. The game released. The servers crashed. They delayed the free version until they get the servers back up and running for the people who payed for it.

WTF... hahah

Bare in mind, they only finished Motorstorm Apocalypse in 2011 and Motorstorm RC in 2012. Considering they, from scratch, built a brand new engine and modelled those cars and tracks, I don't think the numbers are that far off... it's the busted online that concerns me but only in the vague sense that Sony and Evolution completely underestimated how popular the game would be.

MJLord

I don't think there is any conspiracy here. The game released. The servers crashed. They delayed the free version until they get the servers back up and running for the people who payed for it.

No way man. Conspiracy all the way down. Maybe you're part of it.....

Purest 78

I had no problems with the actual game, all my problems have been server issues. Do you guys think this is bad development or just lack of preparation With the servers? GTA would be a good example the game was great at launch but severs were shit.

Prototype

So the hacks aren't hacks somehow? Either way, times /speeds like some posted in this thread and elsewhere have made me lose all interest in mastering a track. And with that the last bastion this game had, it's single player, is worthless to me. Pretty sad too. I really wanted DC to be awesome. It's nothing but one continuous mess after another.

Here's hoping the crew is fun. Maybe p cars. And forza horizon 2 is great. Very disappointed in DC/evolution and Sony. : (

Late Flag

Finally got some online racing in. Fun, but pretty dirty too. The whole "loaner car" thing is stupid as hell. It takes forever to get into a race, and then you wait until right before it starts to tell me that the only eligible car is one I don't have? WTF, Evo?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So the hacks aren't hacks somehow? Either way, times /speeds like some posted in this thread and elsewhere have made me lose all interest in mastering a track. And with that the last bastion this game had, it's single player, is worthless to me. Pretty sad too. I really wanted DC to be awesome. It's nothing but one continuous mess after another.

Here's hoping the crew is fun. Maybe p cars. And forza horizon 2 is great. Very disappointed in DC/evolution and Sony. : (

Huh? Like they said, it's a glitch. It's not something the players are doing.

GodofWine

I had no problems with the actual game, all my problems have been server issues. Do you guys think this is bad development or just lack of preparation With the servers? GTA would be a good example the game was great at launch but severs were shit.

Its what they said it was, a software issue, and no one has any details beyond that.

T_Exige

I'm probably a bit behind in progress compared to most posters on here, but I really struggled with the semi-pro championship event, took at least 10-15 tries to win it.

I had to resort to ramming Alfie Fucking Saunders in his RUF on the last lap of the the third race.

This is the event I like the most in the game. Trying to beat the time of 12m30.
This Alfie is really strong in this chamionship even if you have unlocked the faster cars like the Vanquish and the RUF. It's all about mastering the tracks, after that it gets really fun.

BiGBoSSMk23

Bare in mind, they only finished Motorstorm Apocalypse in 2011 and Motorstorm RC in 2012. Considering they, from scratch, built a brand new engine and modelled those cars and tracks, I don't think the numbers are that far off... it's the busted online that concerns me but only in the vague sense that Sony and Evolution completely underestimated how popular the game would be.

Bingo. Too humble for their own good, they didn't have the foresight or the experience to know what was coming. I don't think they've ever done a game that requires this kind of online infrastructure.

Putty

Well fuckoff then, simple.

saunderez

This is ridiculous. If anything this debacle has cost sales, not sold more copies of the game. For every person who bought it because they just couldn't wait there's 10 people who are pissed off they didn't get their demo and have no intention of buying it.

It doesn't seem Challenges are up yet, and they are still not promising a full, smooth online experience...

It's just much more stable than before I guess
Nah, online is still fucked up here. I almost threw my controller at the tv. Cause for a minute there, it seeeeeemd to work. No dice.

What a discrace. This is the gaming equivalent of being in abu ghraib.

Tegernako

Banned
But how will he compete against others in Time Trial?
For the most part, the leaderboards are working and you can still try and beat each others times. You just cant issue any challenges. I'm not even too sure how challenges work at this point. Your friends ghosts will appear in the time trials now, but usually after a lap or 2.

Philly40

Bingo. Too humble for their own good, they didn't have the foresight or the experience to know what was coming. I don't think they've ever done a game that requires this kind of online infrastructure.

The thing is, the online social aspects in Motorstorm RC were excellent, racing your friends' PSN avatars around the track and the challenge system, and if I remember it was cross PS3-Vita?

Obviously Driveclub is on a much bigger scale, but I'm still not sure if all the problems are on Evolution's end, PSN in general has been really unstable (for me) for almost a month now.

Top Bottom