• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Did you drift at all in any of the corners or are you just braking before the turns? I am trying to brake before turns and punch it out of them. My best time so far is 1:16.4. Im curious if any of you that have beat the time are drifting for any of the corners.

I just uploaded my 1:16.005 lap. Maybe it'll help you. Others may take on some turns differently and get better times, but this is basically how I did it. Hit the brakes sooner on the turn with the drift challenge, though. ;)

viveks86

Thats what I was trying. I swear thats the turn thats getting me.

Drifting through that corner is better than a line that is too wide, but definitely not the best approach. Try braking early, hitting the first apex and feather the throttle while staying very close to the middle of the track. Once you see the straight road around the corner, hit full throttle gradually, and then brake immediately to the left as soon as you reach the overhead signage.

Cock of War

Alright, I'll keep at it. Maybe I should check out some youtube vids of the time being beat, There must just be a few lines I'm not hitting properly.

And good job on the 225 stars viveks! You beat me to it!

Thats what I was trying. I swear thats the turn thats getting me.

Here is one for you http://youtu.be/0FLOpGw_MiA

As you can see it's not even close to perfect but still got just under 1.16.
Hope it helps :)

Thanks for the videos and tips guys! I am pumped to get home and give it another shot. Hopefully I can post my victory on here this evening.

Loudninja

Counterquestion: Did you give birth to a pterodactyl today?

--

Online's working fine for me, elevates the game even further imo and mp races are too much fun. I really hope they get the last kinks out of their system soon because this game deserves to shine.
To me it sounds like they are nearly done.

We're still improving server performance to get all of you enjoying full online connectivity together, but the majority of DRIVECLUB players should now be able to connect and play online.

More server updates and upgrades are coming online over the weekend, so while this work continues you may still experience some issues with connectivity but please keep trying. When you do get connected you can go online, play for your club, use your club cars, play multiplayer races, compete in face-offs, and compare your best times and scores with everyone on the leaderboards. This is in addition to playing in Tour mode, creating your own single events and customising your cars in your garage (which you can do offline too).

We will continue to keep you informed as we make progress and we know we've said this before but we mean it: We know how frustrating it is when you can't get connected and we feel it too. We are working flat out to get online sign-in, multiplayer racing and leaderboards running smoothly for everyone, all of the time.

We can't thank you enough for your messages of support and feedback during the past week, so please keep talking to us and sharing your thoughts about the game while you play.
https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/712918238792539

DrKelpo

Banned
Counterquestion: Did you give birth to a pterodactyl today?

nod-of-approval.gif

I just finished the Legend Trophy, using only gyro-steering. Great game ... ! As others said, the Legend Trophy is surprisingly easy!

Also when I was doing one of the Time Trials, today a few times I actually got other ghosts in there and face offs. Crashed the game once too.

Love the game.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Man I'm terrible at drifting, any tips?

Approach with confidence, tap her just gently on the outside so the rear tumbles out and your tip slides into it. Let her do the rest.

3.jpg

viveks86

Man I'm terrible at drifting, any tips?

• Reach drifting line somewhere around the center, at medium-full throttle
  • Do NOT go in at full throttle. Your car would then have too much momentum and you are very likely to drift out of bounds
  • Let go of throttle, hit hand brake and turn sharply towards direction of the turn. This will start the drift. Release hand brake around 0.5 seconds. Depending on your car and sharpness of turn, you need to adapt a little
  • Before your car becomes perpendicular to the track, turn sharply in the opposite direction and throttle lightly to keep the momentum and prevent the car from spinning out. Your drift score will go up fast only if you maintain throttle
  • Try to center the car before the end of the drift, so that you have enough speed for the speed zone. Sometimes, you end up with a great drift, but you are not in line for the next zone, which is as important for your overall score
  • As you keep practicing, you will end up playing by ear as you get a feel of how the car responds to these instrucitons. But this should be a good start
  • I'm no expert at this, but this has worked well for me

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
  • Do NOT go in at full throttle. Your car would then have too much momentum and you are very likely to drift out of bounds
  • Let go of throttle, hit hand brake and turn sharply towards direction of the turn. This will start the drift. Release hand brake around 0.5 seconds. Depending on sharpness of turn and your car, you need to adapt a little
  • Before you car becomes perpendicular to the track, turn sharply in the opposite direction and throttle lightly to keep the momentum and prevent the car from spinning out
  • Try to center the car before the end of the drift, so that you have enough speed for the speed zone
  • As you keep practicing, you will end up playing by ear as you get a feel of how the car responds to these instrucitons. But this should be a good start

Pretty much, but the rest comes down to getting a feel for the car, some are grippier than others or more willing kick the rear end out, or more or less willing to stay on the track which means you'll have to sacrifice speed and work the steering and pump the throttle to maximize your drift in the zone; but all of this means dick if you don't approach the turn with enough speed to not go out of bounds, and just enough to carry a good long drift.

So get to know how the car behaves.

On a side note, this reminds me of how GRID handled drift challenges, where the speed of the drift mattered towards your score, but the physics for the drift cars were hilariously "soapy" in comparison to the race driving physics, where it was nearly impossible to execute a similar drift.

In DC you drift all the same in Race and Drift events.

Kumubou

I really like the drift events, but the scoring on them is really wonky. That and on some corners it really does seem like the best way to score is to go in way too fast and drift until you crash into a wall, since the game seems to overrate the speed of a drift and there's no penalty for crashing (other than your current drift ending), and the points you get for sliding fast into a wall end up being way higher than actually slowing down and drifting around the corner cleanly. Honestly, the way I generally get the highest scores is by riding your drift all the way to the end of the zone and then hitting the wall (but not too hard!) to straighten yourself out. I think when they add leaderboard replays, you'll see that all of the top drift scores are going to have some ugly driving.

viveks86

I really like the drift events, but the scoring on them is really wonky. That and on some corners it really does seem like the best way to score is to go in way too fast and drift until you crash into a wall, since the game seems to overrate the speed of a drift and there's no penalty for crashing (other than your current drift ending), and the points you get for sliding fast into a wall end up being way higher than actually slowing down and drifting around the corner cleanly. Honestly, the way I generally get the highest scores is by riding your drift all the way to the end of the zone and then hitting the wall (but not too hard!) to straighten yourself out. I think when they add leaderboard replays, you'll see that all of the top drift scores are going to have some ugly driving.

Yeah they should really have some significant negative scoring for hitting walls on drift events. Makes it pointless otherwise.

On a side note, this reminds me of how GRID handled drift challenges, where the speed of the drift mattered towards your score, but the physics for the drift cars were hilariously "soapy" in comparison to the race driving physics, where it was nearly impossible to execute a similar drift.

In DC you drift all the same in Race and Drift events.

Agreed

So is the online stuff fully functional for most players like they said? Is it finally time for me to buy this game?

Not yet. The Challenge stuff still isn't working, I don't think Club Accolades are working, i'm now at about 50/50 on whether I can play online multiplayer, and I still lose contact to the server now and then (it seems to know when i'm about to bank a huge amount of points for my club and disconnect on purpose, the evil bastard)

So yeah, it's better than it was for the first week and a half, but still a far, far way from "fully functional"

BiGBoSSMk23

Damn just had a intense online match,so awesome.

I find that point to point races don't work that well if you actually want to be competitive, or have chance to compete.

Once the lead guy establishes a decent distance between the clusterfuck no one, not even second place has a chance of catching up unless the lead intentionally slows down or fucks up repeatedly. And even if you manage to catch up you're at risk of getting swallowed by those 3-4 guys playing bumper cars.

Circuit races are better for large numbers. Point-to-point should be for less cars on the track.

Lobbies should solve this issue.

Loudninja

I find that point to point races don't work that well if you actually want to be competitive, or have chance to compete.

Once the lead guy establishes a decent distance between the clusterfuck no one, not even second place has a chance of catching up unless the lead intentionally slows down or fucks up repeatedly. And even if you manage to catch up you're at risk of getting swallowed by those 3-4 guys playing bumper cars.

Circuit races are better for large numbers. Point-to-point should be for less cars on the track.

Lobbies should solve this issue.
The thing is I just love the thrill, sure winning is nice but it does not bother me if I don't at all.

BiGBoSSMk23

The thing is I just love the thrill, sure winning is nice but it does not bother me if I don't at all.

Oh, I get caught up in the Rep-farming aspect of the game and winning becomes an obsession, that's why I haven't done many online races.

But true, this game is just pure fun, even just trading paint at high speeds.

BiGBoSSMk23

The other thing is: Where are the Face-offs online?

Coming in first wouldn't be so important if you could at least do some neat things and farm points while you duke it out with your fellow stragglers.

Loudninja

Oh, I get caught up in the Rep-farming aspect of the game and winning becomes an obsession, that's why I haven't done many online races.

But true, this game is just pure fun, even just trading paint at high speeds.
Right!

Man I love the Ferrari FF have to unlock that one.

CodeNfX

• Let go of throttle, hit hand brake and turn sharply towards direction of the turn. This will start the drift. Release hand brake around 0.5 seconds. Depending on your car and sharpness of turn, you need to adapt a little
  • Before your car becomes perpendicular to the track, turn sharply in the opposite direction and throttle lightly to keep the momentum and prevent the car from spinning out. Your drift score will go up fast only if you maintain throttle
  • Try to center the car before the end of the drift, so that you have enough speed for the speed zone. Sometimes, you end up with a great drift, but you are not in line for the next zone, which is as important for your overall score

Great tips! Getting better at it. Thanks!

BiGBoSSMk23

Yep.

Wait not sure if it was Chile, it was all FF though.

Oh, well. I won that one lol

It was in Putre I believe. Second place quit out after the third turn not overtaking me. Funny enough I wiped out in one of the straightaways. The FF can be a little tail happy.

I'm only at 81/225 (busy beating friends times) but completing Accolades gives you lots of fame.

Ah, right. Cheers.

Unfortunately, I think my time with the game stops here. I just have no motivation to set my own goals now that the Tour has wrapped up. That's just how I am with racing games.

Hugstable

Banned
Oh lordy I'm enjoying even the races with these slower cars, can't wait to see how crazy the speed is gonna get with the super cars later on. The sound design keeps impressing me with each new car that I use, love the flutter of the blow off when you left of the gas on some cars, the sound design is just top notch and unclassed in any other automotive game that I've played. My left stick on my DS4 had a huge rip in it, and it took Driveclub to finally have me get up and invest myself into a new controller (Got the white one, looks great and sticks are much much better) so I can play DC at it's best on controller since my old sticks were pretty bad. Finally gives me a chance to send that controller in as well and get it fixed now since now I won't be without a controller lol -____-

Top Bottom