• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Nah, you'll be itching to play again tomorrow, if not today. :p

And if you're after fame points I suggest 1 lap races against at least professional AIs in a best-in-class car.

lol You are probably right. But it really is a frustrating relationship and Bloodborne is calling.

What is the best way to farm? I hit Tamil Nadu in an Aston Martin and with drifting I was able to pull down around 15k a lap.

Duallusion

What is the best way to farm? I hit Tamil Nadu in an Aston Martin and with drifting I was able to pull down around 15k a lap.

I could do on average about 45k in less then one minute in Evantra on the second India race track, if I won, but you have to drift alot and be in as high level club as possible for those bonus points. You can quit and restart, if you don't get favorable opponents/cars.

Duallusion

I'll never understand farming. Even the word makes me cringe.

But hey, if that's fun, more power to ya.

He's probably going after the platinum trophy. As for me, I enjoy filling up bars if I like the game. I used to take car, say Lykan, put on an audiobook and just drift and drift and drift. Found it relaxing. :)

desu

I really want the plat, but the Location accolade is the worst. I think I still need to grind 500-600 races in Canada (which is my closest location) to fill that accolade. I also played the game quite a lot already and I am still that far away, pretty annoying.

lordxar

I really want the plat, but the Location accolade is the worst. I think I still need to grind 500-600 races in Canada (which is my closest location) to fill that accolade. I also played the game quite a lot already and I am still that far away, pretty annoying.

Reread the trophy. I thought that first as well but its only four accolade groups and that's not one.

knavish

OK so using IKizzLE's Hyper list, lets see who can beat the Stig with the lowest rated car :) So it's Sinclair Pass at 12 with no precipitation or cloud cover?

Koenigsegg One:1

Hennessey Venom GT

Pagani Zonda R
Mclaren P1 (Hot Lap)
Mclaren F1 LM

Koenigsegg Agera R
Mclaren P1
Gumpert Apollo Enraged

Ferrari 599XX Evolutionize
Lamborghini Veveno
Peugot Onyx

Pagani Huayra
W Motors Lykan Hypersport
Jaguar C-X75

Ferrari Enzo

Ruf CTR3 ClubSport

Yeah I hope there's some online events with it :)

Just did a 1:23:4 in the Koennigsegg 1. Kie would smash my time by about 5 seconds no doubt lol

How have you played the game a lot but are still "that far away". Wouldn't that mean you've only raced there a handful of times? Just try out some hyper cars on shorter circuits and set it to one lap if you're so passionate about digital trophies that actually having to race in a racing game annoys you :p

He's probably going after the platinum trophy. As for me, I enjoy filling up bars if I like the game. I used to take car, say Lykan, put on an audiobook and just drift and drift and drift. Found it relaxing. :)

Already got the plat and all the trophies from DLC tours: 675/675. I'm going after club level 50.

I do pretty much the same thing actually - listen to podcasts or music and just drive and drive, usually a set of time trials, maybe a full day/night cycle at x15 speed for a track I'm still getting to know, sometimes picking a car from the manufacturer I've used the least. I get to learn a new car, learn something new about a track, and my club gets more points than usual. Win, win, win.

I just know that if I set out with a goal to acquire X whatevers per hour the game would cease to be a method of entertainment and would start to take on the nature of a chore, and a repetitive one at that. I've found myself caught up in a game's compulsion systems and doing some farming myself and once I consciously realize that's what I'm doing or being asked to do, that's when I'll put that sucker away in cold storage. ;p

Am I just out of touch to see the word farming as a negative when it comes to games?

You actually don't need location for the platinum. You need Gameplay, Game Mode, and Manufacturer I think. Game Mode is the worst, I had to grind out a lot of drifting miles

I have the platinum and I don't think I am even halfway on most of the location accolades. I definitely don't have any filled

I wouldn't say I farmed but I did strategically prioritize my playing around earning manufacturer accolades until I got them all. It's hard getting a club up to level 25 by yourself just so you can unlock that perfect dinosaur icon and the extra fame helped get me there.

I wouldn't say I farmed but I did strategically prioritize my playing around earning manufacturer accolades until I got them all.
Maybe there's a finer line than I thought between using those meta-goals as a guiding post and seeing the game purely in terms of farming.

It always surprises me when people talk about farming in racing games though - every single time. My mind just hasn't chewed on that concept long enough.

That said I look forward to farming plenty of oh-shit moments with our little April Fool's gift from Evo :)

iIG29rCUgtopx.jpg

Shaneus

Forever :)

Download it and show your support for MotorStorm, even if you don't have DRIVECLUB!
This... makes me feel like there's a chance we might see something non-Driveclub from Evo eventually.

Maybe there's a finer line than I thought between using those meta-goals as a guiding post and seeing the game purely in terms of farming.

It always surprises me when people talk about farming in racing games though - every single time. My mind just hasn't chewed on that concept long enough.

That said I look forward to farming plenty of oh-shit moments with our little April Fool's gift from Evo :)
I kind of did that with some of them (particularly drifting) but I find I'm just slightly changing driving styles in certain events to get the most out of the drifting accolade. There's a particular event in Sakura where I must've farmed an arseload of drift kms. I think it was in a wet race with the Lykan?

Nah, maybe it's the just the word "farm." "Strategic Prioritization" is what I will use from now on.
Hah. And I'll also try to mentally substitute one for the other from here on out.

I think it was in a wet race with the Lykan?
I think I know the one and if so I still haven't three-starred that event. Going to have to give it another try soon. I don't know whether its any recent handling changes patched in, or picking up all new controllers or just plain getting better at the game but I've sucked a lot less than usual lately in DC.

*knocks on wood*

Duallusion

Am I just out of touch to see the word farming as a negative when it comes to games?

Farming some arbitrary points, racing 'round and 'round the track to shave off miliseconds to be better then some other tag on the list, throwing yourself at some boss again and again until you beat it, trying to get that Bastard Sword of Doomsday or whatever, collecting trophies and so on and so on. I don't know; when you come right down to it, it's all a bit pointless so I usualy try to avoid going into discussions about people's gaming preferences. It's like arguing which food tastes better. :)

But I totally get where you're coming from in regards to farming, even though I do it sometimes if I'm enjoying myself.

Shaneus

Hah. And I'll also try to mentally substitute one for the other from here on out.

I think I know the one and if so I still haven't three-starred that event. Going to have to give it another try soon. I don't know whether its any recent handling changes patched in, or picking up all new controllers or just plain getting better at the game but I've sucked a lot less than usual lately in DC.

*knocks on wood*
The last star was to beat Tom someone, four lap race around one of the Japan circuits where it starts raining around halfway through the first lap. Took me a while, usually on the third or fourth lap during that S (where you can usually flat-stick it through) I'd lose it completely. But I never really minded, because getting to fang it around that circuit in the wet was always a blast. Always wound up with around 30,000 kudos at the end.

-Amon-

Just tried the wombat buggy, it's really nice to drive, expecially in the wet.

Speaking of rain, the buggy has no working windshield wipers, but when it rains, you can clearly hear the sound of the wipers moving.

I just played a few online races in the wombat. That thing is a ton of fun and somehow the demolition derby nature of online play suits that vehicle more than others.

Nah, maybe it's the just the word "farm." "Strategic Prioritization" is what I will use from now on.
You have to admit it sounds a lot better.

nikos

The Wombat is great! People always race dirty online, so I finally saw this as an opportunity to return the favor. Is corner cutting disabled in Wombat lobbies? I started to go a little off-course and didn't receive any penalties.

I can't even fathom what MotorStorm on PS4 would look like. If we ever get a sequel to DRIVECLUB, it would be nice to see some off-road courses.

kgtrep

I started playing just today but haven't done any driving in games since MK64. I really find the driving experience here calming (and sounds are just great) and can see myself just driving and driving after a hard day of work.

Can you guys give me tips on how to drive better? I keep running into guardrails and hitting other cars. Also, I'm not sure if the season pass is retroactive. Can you tell me if, at any point, I decide to buy the pass, I can unlock all the contents that have been released already?

desu

You actually don't need location for the platinum. You need Gameplay, Game Mode, and Manufacturer I think. Game Mode is the worst, I had to grind out a lot of drifting miles

I have the platinum and I don't think I am even halfway on most of the location accolades. I definitely don't have any filled

Ahhhhhhhhh, I only ever skimmed over the trophy description and thought it was having a finished a accolade in all sections. That means I almost got the trophy then, as I am just missing a few races in game mode that I will probably get by finishing the DLC tours. Thanks a lot.

How have you played the game a lot but are still "that far away". Wouldn't that mean you've only raced there a handful of times? Just try out some hyper cars on shorter circuits and set it to one lap if you're so passionate about digital trophies that actually having to race in a racing game annoys you :p

It requires you to have played in one location over a thousand times, which is quite a lot.

nib95

Banned
I started playing just today but haven't done any driving in games since MK64. I really find the driving experience here calming (and sounds are just great) and can see myself just driving and driving after a hard day of work.

Can you guys give me tips on how to drive better? I keep running into guardrails and hitting other cars. Also, I'm not sure if the season pass is retroactive. Can you tell me if, at any point, I decide to buy the pass, I can unlock all the contents that have been released already?

Posted a few pages back.

I find feathering the throttle (e.g. laying off the acceleration, then back on, then off, on etc) is often times more rewarding in correcting trajectory or getting the right angle mid turn, than actual braking, the latter dropping speed too much. The other thing is the basic fundamental of racing which is slow in, fast out on harder corners. You want the best maximum exit speed, so try and set up those harder corners so that you're only needing to brake at the start, and can accelerate out with full throttle on the exit, building up maximum momentum and speed for the oncoming straight. If you overcook the corner and start going too wide, feathering the throttle or just laying off the gas with some sharper steer till you're back on the right line.

The other thing is, try not to be shy about mildly cutting corner apexes, even if it means one side of your car cuts some dirt or rumble strip. Often in doing this you can shave off some added time as your cornering distance will be reduced, as will the amount you need to slow down for the turn. However, be careful not to do this with certain vehicles or on certain angles, especially longer turns, as you will glue to strip or dirt and get drawn in or lose traction.

The only other thing I can thing off as a basic, is that with some of the faster and more crazy hyper cars (Venom, One:1 etc) sometimes gradually applying acceleration will prevent you from swerving about and losing traction. Otherwise you only really want to hammer it down when your wheels are completely straight, or there isn't too much of a camber or angle to the road.

Can you tell me if, at any point, I decide to buy the pass, I can unlock all the contents that have been released already?

Yes, don't worry, you'll get everything that has been released until that point. Also, make sure to download the free content from the store, which includes two tour packs (Ignition and Photo-Finish) and a bunch of free cars.

I like the buggy. :) Sadly the servers were offline yesterday so I couldn't test it in MP. Maybe today...

I managed to get on for a couple of races in it, really good fun and makes the tracks fresh again as there's now alternative shortcuts to find! The chicane's on SKNO are way different in the Wombat :)

I cant even start driveclub now. it just crashes at the starting screen. :/

Sounds like something's got corrupted, might need reinstalling.

Denur

A friend of mine wants to change his club's name, but doesn't know how to do this. Is it even possible to change a club's name?

Not online with the buggy. Corner cutting has absolutely no penalty.

So much fun to cut corners as people are taking their turns nice and slow!

Plenty of tracks let you get off-road on corners
Banana meant the 3, 2, 1 counter. This does exist with the buggy, there is just not corner penalty slow downs.

I'm not sure if the triggering of the 3, 2, 1 is more lenient but it is there.

And also the image I took that he questioned how I got there was not a corner cutting exercise, I was outside of the track limits, beyond the crowd!

I have to say it is fun cutting corners, thought annoying when you encounter an invisible wall :p

I've been pumping some fame in to the club since joining. Will probably get a bit of time on there tonight after work as well so will keep on trying.

I noticed that. I wish the game told owners which club members the points came from... BTW: If your friend doesn't join soon, I will give his place away.

And if I only strategically optimise my playtime for one hour a day, leaving the other time for challenges and multi, I can have my club to level 50 in 27 days. I think I we hit it before your club, banana, but there will be no honor in it. ;)

No, your saves are held in a different place to the game data and you've got the cloud storage too if your on plus.

And what are you doing here?! Don't you have bigger things to worry about? :)

Finally caved in and bought DRIVECLUB last week and, well, hooooooly smokes. I don't think I've put this much time into a racer in such a short timespan since at least GT4. Already halfway through tour (just beat Semi-Pro Trophy this morning), but I'm much better with the slower cars so I imagine the latter half of the Tour will be more of a challenge for me.

Does anyone else find the time trials to be the hardest part of the tour progression? Maybe it's because I drive like it's a video game, but I find driving in an actual race to be much easier because I can almost always draft and bumper-car my way up to at least 3rd within the first 45 seconds or so and then go to work on the last two cars. In the time trials I can usually get the first two stars without much difficulty but that third star can be a real pain. Oliver's Landing took me something like 30 laps to finally get, and even then it was only by six-hundredths of a second. And that's in semi-pro - I'm going to have a really hard time on the later TTs.

xrnzaaas

Finally caved in and bought DRIVECLUB last week and, well, hooooooly smokes. I don't think I've put this much time into a racer in such a short timespan since at least GT4. Already halfway through tour (just beat Semi-Pro Trophy this morning), but I'm much better with the slower cars so I imagine the latter half of the Tour will be more of a challenge for me.

Does anyone else find the time trials to be the hardest part of the tour progression? Maybe it's because I drive like it's a video game, but I find driving in an actual race to be much easier because I can almost always draft and bumper-car my way up to at least 3rd within the first 45 seconds or so and then go to work on the last two cars. In the time trials I can usually get the first two stars without much difficulty but that third star can be a real pain. Oliver's Landing took me something like 30 laps to finally get, and even then it was only by six-hundredths of a second. And that's in semi-pro - I'm going to have a really hard time on the later TTs.

In most time trials you can also "cheat" a little by cutting some corners just enough not to get a penalty. Most of the final tours from the main game are in fact difficult (wait till you get to Venom Hot Lap ;)). They've lowered the difficulty level in the paid DLC's.

Top Bottom