• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Ted

Public lobby racing is an exercise in survival and trickery!!

"To finish first, you must first finish" - Rick Mears (four times Indy 500 winner)

Yeah I've often been used as a braking point in some races, if you have a 1 second lead and heading to a hairpin where you need to slow down, more often than not people will see that as a chance to slam you in to a wall and carry on their merry little way.

Yep same here! The other annoying move is when they dive up the inside of you with way too much speed so they can't make it around the corner but effectively wall off your exit to the bend and send you straight into the wall :-(

Both are such predictable behaviors across most unhosted public lobbies it's funny but I guess since they are it also makes both pretty avoidable!

For the first, just give them the inside line, they'll almost always take it as the concept of slow in fast out doesn't exist in their minds. As they will almost always be going too fast to make it stick they'll simply under steer on through into the grass/wall on the outside at the apex so adjust your braking to account for it and come under them at the apex and know you'll have better exit speed.

If they don't go up the inside and are still aiming for your rear, let off slightly before the normal braking point and the first hit will be much more gentle, at which point you can either move off line to the inside and they'll usually be too slow to follow and end up having to go the long way round.

For the second, brake deep on the outside to widen the bend and allow you to drive out on the inside under them, you should have better exit speed as they will have scrubbed a lot of pace under steering from the inside line back to the outside.

knavish

Yep same here! The other annoying move is when they dive up the inside of you with way too much speed so they can't make it around the corner but effectively wall off your exit to the bend and send you straight into the wall :-(

Thats exactly what ghost of senna constantly did the entire race with me but yet I was the "fucking bitch" when he went tooo wide and I nabbed him on the last corner.

I have taken a few peoples advice on here and leave a wide space on some corners I know I am going to smacked in, with a view to getting a better drive out of the corner and retaking my place on the straight.....exactly what Ted is saying

ZalXII

To be honest man i do usually get really good races but you do get the one off dickhead who don't seem to want to actually race. There's two guys in the same team called black agent 007 and they are twats. If one gets ahead of you the other will drive anyone who tries to pass completely off the road like turning right into you on a left turn. Stupidity really, I wouldn't want to win races like that.

You mean Black Secret 007? Raced these two in one MP endurance race and one of them started ridicoulus ramming after a few rounds. Since i couldn't saw any other way i just rammed back and won at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60AIXRa63yk

Always bugs me when fairly good drivers use such methods.

On another note,i definitely get more ghosting now in MP races, yesterday and today again. Either the full or half grid is ghosting for me. Never had this problem so much before.

That Papo thing has really ticked you off hasn't it :-( I know when he had a go at me I was actually shaking with anger at all the shit he was coming out with but didn't have my mic plugged in to reply.

It was the way he came back at me in the race-- I then got him back HARD--and the vitriol in the message he sent was insane; all internet tough guy shit, but yeah it really pissed me off. We were on each other friend's list, too, which should stand for something. I should just get over it (it's been several weeks), but him also telling Skillet that he is going after me in every race now is another issue.

And I realize I am sounding like such a bastard in my last few posts about servers, etc. Just frustrated...

Anarion07

Is there a plan to implement the number of people in a leaderboard?
It would just be nice to know how many people's asses you just kicked, since it also tells you how many are still kicking yours

ICars are great and all, but more tracks is what I really want. Any lined up? Also, didn't Sony announce that DC will be supported more like a service from now on. Does that mean more DLC after the season pass ends?

Oh man, pretty much the same thing happened at pretty much the same spot when I was racing with my mate. I found it funny than annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=jQ9-pYZanP0

But there are those that spend a whole racing just looking to ram and a lot of the time, the game penalises the victim more.
No more tracks due. And yeah I would highly imagine that there will be another season pass and more tracks (and maybe countries? We know they were thinking of Antigua and I also know of another country).

I had this the other day on the last corner. The guy was quick, and raced fairly clean, some minor taps but nothing major and the same happened from me on to him, lots of aggression but no ramming... then the last corner of the last lap I'm in front, he's made a boo boo so I've got the win in the bag only for him to massively ram me, use me as a wall and go flying to victory.

Unfortunately people enjoy the win more than the racing.

Around the 5.30 mark that is what annoys me in online racing. Intentionally slowing down to try and take out the person behind you. That isn't blocking or defending that is just straight up ramming people off the road and takes no skill whatsoever. A person who can defend or block successfully without taking out the driver behind and keep a racing pace is the sign of somebody who is skilled. Holding the inside line and driving right on left hand corner when you have someone on the outside line is pretty much pointless, you have the inside line take advantage of it and get a faster exit by preventing them from getting the faster line that they want. I'm not the biggest fan of blocking in racing anyway as it always results in a crash but I have no problem with people doing it in games but I personally prefer defensive lines and making the car wide which make it hard to get around. But when you play like that and you then get some muppet who just likes to ram all race tactics go out the window.

Around the 5.30 mark that is what annoys me in online racing. Intentionally slowing down to try and take out the person behind you. That isn't blocking or defending that is just straight up ramming people off the road and takes no skill whatsoever. A person who can defend or block successfully without taking out the driver behind and keep a racing pace is the sign of somebody who is skilled. Holding the inside line and driving right on left hand corner when you have someone on the outside line is pretty much pointless, you have the inside line take advantage of it and get a faster exit by preventing them from getting the faster line that they want. I'm not the biggest fan of blocking in racing anyway as it always results in a crash but I have no problem with people doing it in games but I personally prefer defensive lines and making the car wide which make it hard to get around. But when you play like that and you then get some muppet who just likes to ram all race tactics go out the window.

Yeah what an absolute twat that guy was - they'll always pick the bigger heavier car too to give them the smashing advantage. You can see in the vid how much the lotus struggles to push back against the Audi. Maybe we should create a blacklist of known rammers and people to avoid - that way you'll have advance warning in the pre-race lobby. You never know, naming and shaming some of these guys might make a difference.

Yeah what an absolute twat that guy was - they'll always pick the bigger heavier car too to give them the smashing advantage. You can see in the vid how much the lotus struggles to push back against the Audi. Maybe we should create a blacklist of known rammers and people to avoid - that way you'll have advance warning in the pre-race lobby. You never know, naming and shaming some of these guys might make a difference.

Yeah the Lotus has the speed advantage but the moment someone touches it you're struggling to hold a line and people know it. There was some real dick driving going on there, thing is, it happens further down the places too, people racing dirty just to hold on to 8th place if you've been bashed down that far.

knavish

You mean Black Secret 007? Raced these two in one MP endurance race and one of them started ridicoulus ramming after a few rounds. Since i couldn't saw any other way i just rammed back and won at the end:

On another note,i definitely get more ghosting now in MP races, yesterday and today again. Either the full or half grid is ghosting for me. Never had this problem so much before.

yeah mate those are the guys! not an enjoyable experience racing with them.

Sirenty

To anyone here that is great at drifting, can you replicate the score of the ghost in this clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPLfMiAl-Y

I just don't understand how scoring high in drifts works anymore. I hate that i even have to resort to such tactics, but i tried copying the ghost and the highest i could get in that corner was 3358 points (and even that was a fluke, normally i do 2600 at best), while the guy in first place does over 6000. I've complained about this several times now, but i'm none the wiser. Very rarely i can hit that elusive sweet spot, which lets you rack up scores like this, but the problem is i have no idea what exactly it takes to do so. It's always a fluke and that's frustrating, because i can't even work on improving my technique, when i don't know what i'm doing wrong in the first place. Sure, coming in at high speed at the right angle is the key, but what is the right angle? Has anyone here figured it out and mastered drifting since the latest changes?

I agree completely. Drifting used to be my favorite event. However, I was doing some challenges last night and I'm getting to the point where I actively hate them. The scoring makes no sense now and is wildly inconsistent. I can score X by doing a proper drift, or 2X by using less angle and slightly more speed. That's not drifting and, personally, I don't find it fun. The old cheese didn't bother me that much, because I could usually still beat them with a clean run. But the new cheese is infuriating because there is no way to combat a 6000 point corner without cheesing yourself.

And how is going as fast as possible and slamming into the barrier, scoring 10K+ points, a better solution than the old issue of slow drifting a 180 at max angle into the barrier and scoring maybe a thousand more (if lucky) than a clean run?

Grid had great drifting and I don't think you could cheese it, plus it had poles at the apex of a corner you had to get close to for more points, like real drifting events. I wish DC had that. (Sometimes it felt like I got more if I drifted near the apex, but I could never tell for sure.)

kie25

Yes drifting is strange now as people are just drifting straight into walls this run on the pacific drift was up on every corner apart from the corners that you can smash into walls, I'd rather do it legit and get a ok score than cheat and get the top.

https://youtu.be/0F1VCCsYcCQ

Ainsz

On the subject of blocking; its kind of unfortunately necessary in DC thanks to how overpowered the slipstreaming is. Getting infront doesn't count for much when the player behind can zoom right past you just for following you. Not that drafting doesn't feel good in the game, it's just a bit too easy and creates a need for blocking, especially on say - the final straight.

Shout out to ainsz and my mate buggie_brain, some good racing tonight, servers didnt play up either.

Yeah, great racing this morning you two! Catch you online tomorrow possibly.

LordofPwn

So drifting is... interesting. tried a challenge on canada where the ghost got 21,000 points on 1 drift that was right next to the finish line. i dont even...

LordofPwn

Yeah....join the club. It's baffling. How are people doing this?

My only hope is that if you start a drift before entering the drift zone that those points come over. but still i seem to follow a ghost exactly and still end up somehow doing 2-4k less in some areas. Cant find any videos on people doing these crazy scores either... o well, only 125 more drift events till maxed out. I like drifting challenges in the tour but the community ones baffle me. best i've ever gotten was top 25 and was still 1.5k away from the leader.

My only hope is that if you start a drift before entering the drift zone that those points come over. but still i seem to follow a ghost exactly and still end up somehow doing 2-4k less in some areas. Cant find any videos on people doing these crazy scores either... o well, only 125 more drift events till maxed out. I like drifting challenges in the tour but the community ones baffle me. best i've ever gotten was top 25 and was still 1.5k away from the leader.

The points don't carry over, I've started drifts well before a drift section and it doesn't start counting until you pass that marker.

On the subject of blocking; its kind of unfortunately necessary in DC thanks to how overpowered the slipstreaming is. Getting infront doesn't count for much when the player behind can zoom right past you just for following you. Not that drafting doesn't feel good in the game, it's just a bit too easy and creates a need for blocking, especially on say - the final straight.

No I don't agree with this at all. I think there's a fine line between blocking and deliberately causing your opponent to hit the back of you and lose all speed. Move earlier and break the tow. If someone catches me on the final straight I stay in my lane - if they've raced clean I send them a well done & good race message.

No I don't agree with this at all. I think there's a fine line between blocking and deliberately causing your opponent to hit the back of you and lose all speed. Move earlier and break the tow. If someone catches me on the final straight I stay in my lane - if they've raced clean I send them a well done & good race message.

Agreed. If they slingshot with a well placed move that's just good racing. No need to swerve all over and slam your brakes, let them pass you and take them at the next turn, or if it's a straight then get behind them and try and do the same.

If they beat you they beat you.

That is pretty much standard in racing and you can use it to your advantage, if you take a defensive line it pretty much prevents them from getting a decent overtake and places them in a hard position to get a good line into a corner, or if you see they are going at a much faster pace allow them to go past then tuck in behind them then use them to slingshot yourself past them and people in front of them. With defensive lines you don't have to do much to block you only need to go right a bit or left a bit. In pretty much all motorsport blocking is usually banned but that doesn't mean you have to let them overtake you or that letting them overtake you is always a negative.

I was just playing online then and there was one driver who was infuriating me as I got the misfortune of starting behind them 4 times in a row, they were mirror driving in 5th position in every race, wtf! why? and ramming me into the side of the track be it inside or outside line, in the end I just thought fuck it and kept a steady line behind them so they would keep blocking me and let others past, predictably they fucked up every time and that is when I over took. In 3 to 5 lap races those sort of drivers are a pain in the backside because you don't really have enough time to wait them out, in longer races they are no problem at all as they are too busy looking behind that they don't drive fast enough.

Ainsz

That's fine, but when the result of a race comes down to, he who turns into the straight first is default loser, that doesn't make for interesting racing or take any skill. And no amount of passive courtesy makes up for it. Which is why blocking is such an obvious go to counter, but also isn't exactly interesting or skilful.

That is pretty much standard in racing and you can use it to your advantage, if you take a defensive line it pretty much prevents them from getting a decent overtake and places them in a hard position to get a good line into a corner, or if you see they are going at a much faster pace allow them to go past then tuck in behind them then use them to slingshot yourself past them and people in front of them. With defensive lines you don't have to do much to block you only need to go right a bit or left a bit. In pretty much all motorsport blocking is usually banned but that doesn't mean you have to let them overtake you.

I was just playing online then and there was one driver who was infuriating me as I got the misfortune of starting behind them 4 times in a row, they were mirror driving in 5th position in every race, wtf! why? and ramming me into the side of the track be it inside or outside line, in the end I just thought fuck it and kept a steady line behind them so they would keep blocking me and let others past, predictably they fucked up every time and that is when I over took. In 3 to 5 lap races those sort of drivers are a pain in the backside because you don't really have enough time to wait them out, in longer races they are no problem at all as they are too busy looking behind that they don't drive fast enough.

I agree slipstream can creat tactical opportunities but I would say in DC it's overpowered and can lead to racing becoming a bit predictable.

I agree slipstream can creat tactical opportunities but I would say in DC it's overpowered and can lead to racing becoming a bit predictable.

Can't say I have had that problem to be honest, when it was first released the AI was too damn fast from a slipstream but I haven't thought that in a long time and haven't experienced real people doing it. Perhaps you are exiting corners slightly too slow or choosing cars that are all acceleration and lower top speed.

Ainsz

Can't say I have had that problem to be honest, when it was first released the AI was too damn fast from a slipstream but I haven't thought that in a long time and haven't experienced real people doing it. Perhaps you are exiting corners slightly too slow or choosing cars that are all acceleration and lower top speed.

I've made it sound I have a bigger problem with it than I do. I just see it as the reason why blocking is so common.

That's fine, but when the result of a race comes down to, he who turns into the straight first is default loser, that doesn't make for interesting racing or take any skill. And no amount of passive courtesy makes up for it. Which is why blocking is such an obvious go to counter, but also isn't exactly interesting or skilful.

Show us a vid of that cos I think your massively overstating this :) In my experience most runs to the finish line are too short to be drafted past unless you make a mess of the last bend.

Edit: ahh you've retracted it a bit now, I think people block as they aren't punished for it and hate losing places.

kie25

I would have to say I think the drafting is a little to strong in Driveclub, it's probably the reason for many crashes aswell when people are taking extra 20mph into bends, I would like a option when private lobbies come to customise things like this, as it would make overtaking more about skill. I've thought this since the game came out as black hills plus Norway race track also few course tracks especially the Canada course track with massive straight, if your behind going into last bend you have won which doesn't feel rewarding if you ask me.

Ainsz

Show us a vid of that cos I think your massively overstating this :) In my experience most runs to the finish line are too short to be drafted past unless you make a mess of the last bend.

Edit: ahh you've retracted it a bit now, I think people block as they aren't punished for it and hate losing places.

I haven't particularly retracted, I just didn't want to make it seem I thought it was a major issue with the game. I'd say the drafting could be toned down a bit without compromising the balance.

Well,as i`ve done many times in that case is make a *mistake* so they pass you and then draft em to the line. In 90% of race situations,there's a counter to it.

What are we defining as blocking here? Weaving? Or the dick moves in the video earlier, trying to grind into walls and slowing for no reason?

Blocking is categorised as constantly reacting to the driver behind. I personally am not a big fan of it as it means they are focusing on the road behind rather than going faster, but in computer games I have no problem with it. Grinding people into the barriers intentionally then I have a big problem with it.

Blocking is categorised as constantly reacting to the driver behind. I personally am not a big fan of it as it means they are focusing on the road behind rather than going faster, but in computer games I have no problem with it. Grinding people into the barriers intentionally then I have a big problem with it.
I weave a fair bit.

This isn't F1, I'm allowed more than one move :p

Generally though I only do it if the person behind is weaving about. If they're not weaving I will just cover the inside line.

I weave a fair bit.

This isn't F1, I'm allowed more than one move :p

Generally though I only do it if the person behind is weaving about. If they're not weaving I will just cover the inside line.

My own view is that weaving to break the tow is fine, it's normal defensive driving. Deliberately getting in someone's way so they hit the back of you, forcing them into evasive manoeuvres or sending them off the track isn't ok.

At the start of a race I'll take the defensive inside line to a bend just to provide a smaller target for rammers, slower but safer.

Duallusion

There's a lot of dipshits online, yes, but I just had a guy slow down to let me pass after accidently crashing into me in a corner. Now *that's* sportsmanship.

kie25

Masterful stuff.

BTW - your Venom Hot Lap guide really helped me tackle that event. Cheers for that and feel free to make any more of em'

Thanks yes I'm waiting for evo to make a event that's got a slight difficulty to it, but all dlc been really easy recently :( hopefully there may be something hard in next dlc would be nice, I'm hoping they add a 4th star that won't effect progress but gives you a gold trophy. That will give more need for guides then :)

Artifex

Neo Member
Here's an ideal that would motivate me to play even more: some type of tour rank. Assign points based on placement position for each tour event, i.e. 1,000,000 0for 1st , 750000 for 2nd etc. Add all the points together and come up with a ranking.

I find the points system to not be very motivating, since they don't really reflect how well you play the game, only how much. On the other hand, it's pretty fun to go back and try and score better times on each tour event since they are the only rankings are skill based and permanent.

Thanks yes I'm waiting for evo to make a event that's got a slight difficulty to it, but all dlc been really easy recently :( hopefully there may be something hard in next dlc would be nice, I'm hoping they add a 4th star that won't effect progress but gives you a gold trophy. That will give more need for guides then :)

I was thinking maybe it would be interesting to use the Evolution challenges to pick curators (in collab with Evo obviously) for a tour pack. I don't know if you ever played Wipeout HD but there was a trophy called "Beat Zico" which was the time of a dev member, I always liked this and thought it would be really good back when that game came out if they had a way of doing something similar with the best in the community and DC pretty much has a framework perfect for this sort of thing. Maybe not create events that are so hard that only the small few who curated them can pass but perhaps something that group thinks would be a challenge but also improve less skilled players abilities.

So you'll make more guides once there are some events that you find difficult?

Guess I'll be waiting a while :)

kie25

So you'll make more guides once there are some events that you find difficult?

Guess I'll be waiting a while :)

Not that I find hard, that other people seem to be having a hard time with, as the venom hotlap wasn't hard or hot lap 2, in my view. I think gamers today want things to easy, and think they have the right to get every star and trophy, this should not be the case, I remember gt5 the vettel challenge the gold time was based on hitting a time in 2 laps, 99% people could not get it, I'll show the lap I mean now, it was recorded using a cam corder as didn't own a hd pvr then, but it shows what a real target should be like, this lap got gold time by less than 0.2 seconds.

https://youtu.be/w5kT9i-LT20

Top Bottom