• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

DD

Hopefully some kind of mash up of Imola and Monza if that Italy leak is true.

Pls, no. The big charm of Driveclub is the mountain tracks. :)

I'm really mad at Sony for the layoffs that happened at Evolution Studios. I really hope that they don't abandon the Driveclub franchise. I really dream of a Driveclub 2. =/

BUT if they release a lot more tracks (specially the point-to-point ones) in a second season pass, that wouldn't be bad. Improving the engine like they've been doing is great too. The lots of effects they added without hurting the framerate is amazing. Can we dream with some fog effects and a cleaner IQ? Also, can we dream of a custom championship mode? I'd kill for having that. Imagine a long points based mountain tracks championship... :3

A course creator would be cool.

They are always rubbish. Every now and again you get one good track but to find that you have to sift through thousands of crap ones.

I'd personally much prefer the dev time which is a crap load for that sort of thing to be focused on different and interesting locations with a different aesthetic such as Morocco, Hawaii, the Alps, China (specifically Guoliang Tunnel) or focus on more interesting locations with the countries they have got such as Lysebotnvegen in Norway.

DD

I'd personally much prefer the dev time which is a crap load for that sort of thing to be focused on different and interesting locations with a different aesthetic such as Morocco, Hawaii, the Alps, China (specifically Guoliang Tunnel) or focus on more interesting locations with the countries they have got such as Lysebotnvegen in Norway.

That's the great thing about Driveclub, IMHO. I'm a little tired of famous circuits or big cities, and Driveclub is a great change in the air. It's amazing to see alternative places like Canada, Chile, Norway, Japan, India and Scotland in a racing game. I love Spa, I love Nurburgring, but they're in a ton of games out there. I really enjoy swiping between the tight corners of a mountain course, and Driveclub is probably the best game in that area.

I remember some pics of an italy track accidently mentioned.
You're thinking of the video showing a UI concept that I believe was from when it was being pitched before they started proper work on it.

Though, I have seen evidence of a nearby location. And of course they mentioned Antigua at Gamescom 2013.

Well, THAT would be awesome, but I don't see any modern dev wasting resources on a course creator nowadays (except for Nadeo). They prefer to make the tracks themselves, and them sell to us. =/
Which is why I have said before it makes great sense for this game.

The tracks are free. They're not going to lose money on lost track sales because someone could download a copy or other decent tracks.

You also have opportunity to sell items to populate your tracks, like ModNation did.

DD

Which is why I have said before it makes great sense for this game.

The tracks are free. They're not going to lose money on lost track sales because someone could download a copy or other decent tracks.

You also have opportunity to sell items to populate your tracks, like ModNation did.

Yeah, you're right. It really makes sense. But I'm still skeptical. An easy to use course creator must be expensive to make to justify the expenses just to give it for free. =B

But I can see a boost in the sales if they make it. :3

Ebolarama

Banned
Pls, no. The big charm of Driveclub is the mountain tracks. :)

I'm really mad at Sony for the layoffs that happened at Evolution Studios. I really hope that they don't abandon the Driveclub franchise. I really dream of a Driveclub 2. =/

BUT if they release a lot more tracks (specially the point-to-point ones) in a second season pass, that wouldn't be bad. Improving the engine like they've been doing is great too. The lots of effects they added without hurting the framerate is amazing. Can we dream with some fog effects and a cleaner IQ? Also, can we dream of a custom championship mode? I'd kill for having that. Imagine a long points based mountain tracks championship... :3

I'm pretty mad about it too. Maybe it's just my inner conspiracy nut, but it seems like ever since the news of the layoffs, the servers and leaderboards and whatever myriad other problems the game has experienced these last two weeks has begun to look like those dark October release days (which is not to disparage the game as I liked it even then, but it's distressing for the fans).
I hope this automotive ship gets righted.

Auctopus

Please stop the course creator rubbish, I can't believe it keeps coming up. Honestly, just imagine for a second the amount of detail and resources that would take in a game like Driveclub...

Where would you build each course? Would you start with a flat landscape which you had to form first before building your track? Would you have preset landforms with preset track sections? What section of the menu would these downloaded tracks go to and how much HDD space would they take up each time?

The game is so sleek and consistent in its delivery, there would be no way to present a course creator in a similar fashion.

I'm pretty mad about it too. Maybe it's just my inner conspiracy nut, but it seems like ever since the news of the layoffs, the servers and leaderboards and whatever myriad other problems the game has experienced these last two weeks has begun to look like those dark October release days (which is not to disparage the game as I liked it even then, but it's distressing for the fans).
I hope this automotive ship gets righted.

It seems like they are rebuilding a lot of the framework. Many of the systems now work differently than how they use to and the way they have been implementing the maintenance time appears to suggest that they have a new group looking at the framework (or taking a different approach) and seeing what is broken and what works without taking everything down. The time trials now only show the leaders time and ghost but it updates immediately whereas in the past it took a decent amount to do so and if you hit restart you would sometimes have to wait an entire lap to get them back. Multiplayer has been running much smoother as well. For someone who has done a lot of work with programmers on building and rebuilding of network infrastructures it is a positive sign not a negative.

You're thinking of the video showing a UI concept that I believe was from when it was being pitched before they started proper work on it.

Though, I have seen evidence of a nearby location. And of course they mentioned Antigua at Gamescom 2013.

Yes, it was indeed the UI concept. A nearby location you say.......Switzerland would be awesome and frankly a MUST in the context of DC's open road concept.

DD

Please stop the course creator rubbish, I can't believe it keeps coming up. Honestly, just imagine for a second the amount of detail and resources that would take in a game like Driveclub...

Where would you build each course? Would you start with a flat landscape which you had to form first before building your track? Would you have preset landforms with preset track sections? What section of the menu would these downloaded tracks go to and how much HDD space would they take up each time?

The game is so sleek and consistent in its delivery, there would be no way to present a course creator in a similar fashion.
Well, a lot of things could be automated. One could select a country (ex: Chile) where all the assets are already made, and play just with the layout of the track on a randomly generated terrain, for example, and the editor would fill the world with the right trees, bushes, terrain textures, etc. The 3D mashes don't usually demand much HD space. Textures and sounds does, but these are already in the base game.

Well, a lot of things could be automated. One could select a country (ex: Chile) where all the assets are already made, and play just with the layout of the track on a randomly generated terrain, for example, and the editor would fill the world with the right trees, bushes, terrain textures, etc. The 3D mashes don't usually demand much HD space. Textures and sounds does, but these are already in the base game.

That is a ridiculous amount of work. There is a reason that course creators are rare as you aren't just giving the user the assets you are essentially creating a design program that exports to a playable course. The more complex it is the more difficult it is to create and why games that are customisable are built like that from the ground up as the designers will use almost the exact same tools that are available to the end user, that is also why those games usually feel sub par in comparison to games where they have full control.

Shaneus

You know it's only the one person mentioning it, yeah?

DD

That is a ridiculous amount of work. There is a reason that course creators are rare as you aren't just giving the user the assets you are essentially creating a design program that exports to a playable course.
That's what I said a few posts above. :3

The more complex it is the more difficult it is to create and why games that are customisable are built like that from the ground up as the designers will use the exact same assets that are available to the end user, that is also why those games usually feel sub par in comparison to games where they have full control.
But I'll have to disagree here. :p

V-Rally 2 was a very standard rally game, and it had a very decent course maker on the PS1. Yeah, Ok, a PS1 game isn't as complex as a PS4 game, but foundation was there; it showed that it's possible. If you want something more recent, let's get Trackmania 2, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcjWE4nE1fs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJDtuEueKxM

Not that bad, is it? :p

That's what I said a few posts above. :3

But I'll have to disagree here. :p

V-Rally 2 was a very standard rally game, and it had a very decent course maker on the PS1. Yeah, Ok, a PS1 game isn't as complex as a PS4 game, but foundation was there; it showed that it's possible. If you want something more recent, let's get Trackmania 2, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcjWE4nE1fs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJDtuEueKxM

Not that bad, is it? :p

Sorry about that I didn't read that post. I'm a fan of Trackmania but compared to the quality of tracks you find in DC or other racers that aren't built around user created content they aren't even close. Trackmania has the best track creator I have seen and here is a vid for people to check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Faeb9h4qelQ and something I would love to see on the PS4 but nothing in that game comes close to the polish that DC has track wise.

DD

Sorry about that I didn't read that post. I'm a fan of Trackmania but compared to the quality of tracks you find in DC or other racers that aren't built around user created content they aren't even close. Trackmania has the best track creator I have seen and here is a vid for people to check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Faeb9h4qelQ and something I would love to see on the PS4 but nothing in that game comes close to the polish that DC has track wise.

No doubt about that. But a man can dream... :)

DD

Did I fell on a trap or something?

Anyway, there's nothing wrong in the community expressing their desires, guys.

Shaneus

again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again
I know :/ I'm much happier having curated, detailed tracks with tactfully created elevation changes and corners than a "track creator". As if the DC servers didn't have enough of a struggle.

benzy

Did I fell on a trap or something?

Anyway, there's nothing wrong in the community expressing their desires, guys.

Yep, this.

Wax also really believes Evo has the talent to bring out a robust track creator in a timely manner, unlike Polyphony. Nothing wrong with that. :p

Shaneus

Yep, this.

Wax also really believes Evo has the talent to bring out a robust track creator in a timely manner, unlike Polyphony. Nothing wrong with that. :p
True. But I think a course creator goes against what the rest of DC is about, and that's taking cars as they are (no tuning) and hooning them around tracks to get the best times, eeking milliseconds off laps. When there's a near infinite number of tracks to drive, why bother getting better at existing ones?

Tbh, the core game should be faultless before even thinking about anything else,we're not there yet.

Also, someone give the servers a kick this morning please!

AMG

Neo Member
True. But I think a course creator goes against what the rest of DC is about, and that's taking cars as they are (no tuning) and hooning them around tracks to get the best times, eeking milliseconds off laps. When there's a near infinite number of tracks to drive, why bother getting better at existing ones?
Exactly!😄 The whole challenge will fall apart as everyone will suddenly become an expert course creater and argue about who made the best Isle of Man etc.😄

kie25

Lovely, and you definitely held your own in some esteemed company there too. Well raced, if you didn't go wide on the first corner of the last lap you could have given it a real shake.

This race just showed why slipstream could do with lowering, it was just a slipstream battle, takes the skill out off racing, you can be about 100m behind someone and although you won't get points for the slipstream you are still in it and start getting a massive boost in speed. I'd also say the slipstream is a big cause of many accidents due to the extra speed people are taking into corners, they could half the slipstream and it would still be very strong.

Tbh, the core game should be faultless before even thinking about anything else,we're not there yet.

Also, someone give the servers a kick this morning please!

Well those who work on the server side and those who work on content creation have very different skill sets and skills are not transferable between the two areas.

I'm beginning to agree with Kie on the slipstream strength, maybe I wasn't paying attention before but now it has become quite noticeable.

Ebolarama

Banned
Is the update on Monday? It seems the update pretty much revolves around the Ferrari TheFerrari at this point. I'm fine with that. Only 96 miles left to complete that little requirement.

Besides private lobbies and track editors,
/s
are there any other big fixes that people expect? Or is it cars tours and more cars till July?

le-seb

Besides private lobbies and track editors,
/s
are there any other big fixes that people expect? Or is it cars tours and more cars till July?
I wouldn't mind if they fixed the companion app.

And regarding the delay / lack of communication, I suppose the recent lay-offs have disorganized the remaining staff a good bit.
So, unless they had things almost ready to ship, I suspect this month's update may seem a bit underwhelming.

Ebolarama

Banned
I wouldn't mind if they fixed the companion app.

And regarding the delay / lack of communication, I suppose the recent lay-offs have disorganized the remaining staff a good bit.
So, unless they had things almost ready to ship, I suspect this month's update may seem a bit underwhelming.

Fine by me. I prefer the tours and challenges and the game is about as perfect as I could want it to be for those events. Just bring on the cars!
Although knowing there will be more tracks and cars in future seasons would do wonders for my heart, too.

kie25

I wouldn't be expecting private lobbies yet I said this few days ago, there main concern will be getting the servers ready for Ps plus, so private lobbies will probably taking a slight bk seat.

farmerboy

This race just showed why slipstream could do with lowering, it was just a slipstream battle, takes the skill out off racing, you can be about 100m behind someone and although you won't get points for the slipstream you are still in it and start getting a massive boost in speed. I'd also say the slipstream is a big cause of many accidents due to the extra speed people are taking into corners, they could half the slipstream and it would still be very strong.

Yeah, a couple of you were talking about it a few pages back and I agree, they can definitely dial it back, it's just a question of how much.

I think it contributes to crashes as well, as well as the camera someone may be using. I generally use just the bonnet cam and in a tight race in can be very hard to see a corner coming as the other cars fill up the screen. I've had to become more aware of the mini map just so I know where I am on the track sometimes.

Just my little observation, but all the really good races I've had have always been with the caterhams, I wonder if that's a reflection on the car itself (responsive) or maybe people in general are better with it, not sure.

Some good mp racing tonight with greg, hui and others even tho the servers were trying to spoil the party.

Wondering if we'll get some patch news the weekend?

JP

@Rushy
Probably not going to see this but I'm going to mention it again anyway as I get the feeling it wasn't seen last time. In the Environment Settings, when you select Dynamic is there any way that there could also be something like a Chance of Rain slider? At the moment it rains every single time when precipitation is set to Dynamic but it would be good to have a slider so you can alter the likelihood of rain anywhere between 0% and 100% because it's far too predictable at the moment.

I like the idea of being able to run a few races and not knowing what the weather is going to be like from race to race rather than just having rain or no rain and having to set it before each race.

@Rushy
Probably not going to see this but I'm going to mention it again anyway as I get the feeling it wasn't seen last time. In the Environment Settings, when you select Dynamic is there any way that there could also be something like a Chance of Rain slider? At the moment it rains every single time when precipitation is set to Dynamic but it would be good to have a slider so you can alter the likelihood of rain anywhere between 0% and 100% because it's far too predictable at the moment.

I like the idea of being able to run a few races and not knowing what the weather is going to be like from race to race rather than just having rain or no rain and having to set it before each race.
I'd also like a wet/no precipitation scenario.

+1 to this. A dynamic setting that also included the possibility of no rain would be welcome for those of us who like to race and time trial in random conditions.

le-seb

+1 to this. A dynamic setting that also included the possibility of no rain would be welcome for those of us who like to race and time trial in random conditions.
Yes, please.

Which has me thinking that once private lobbies are a thing, it would be extremely nice to be able to manage some kind of 'playlists', that could be saved and later recalled when playing with our pals.

Top Bottom