• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

le-seb

To be fair I think the aesthetic of the game on the surface is somewhat incongruent with the actually gameplay and general design philosophies. It's reasonable that someone could buy DC and expect something similar to Gran Turismo.
I don't know man. It's like saying that AC:U or TO1886 are simulations because they can look realistic in their visual presentation, or that FH2 can't feel like a sim on the road with all the assists off because it features an arcade-ish art style (although it's entirely based off FM engine, which is considered a sim).
Modern games have been blurring borders for a while, now.

And as far as I'm concerned, both the realistic presentation and permissive handling are what sold me this game.
I probably wouldn't have bought it if it lacked its realistic lighting and environments or featured a pure sim handling (which I find quickly boring).

-Amon-

To be fair I think the aesthetic of the game on the surface is somewhat incongruent with the actual gameplay and general design philosophies. It's reasonable that someone could buy DC and expect something similar to Gran Turismo.

Racing games that are not hardcore sims should not be obliged to have Mario Kart graphics.

People could read something about the games they're going to buy, instead of going in blind and then ask the developer to change the game to suit their expectations, only to change it in something that's going to upset the people who read beforehand what kind of game this was before buying it.

There are sims, there are arcade racers, there are simcades like Driveclub, just buy the kind of racing game you want and not something else, please.

kie25

Nice looking update! We only get one hatch in this one, hopefully it's a sign of things to come (please Rushy!). While I'm in the mood for demanding (patiently pleading, more like) stuff, I'd love to see slow motion as an option for replays, please!

Also, only 1km from peaking level 5 for Ferrari. Dat LaFerrari, I can almost taste it now.

Me neither. Mine is 46" :(

It may look like a hot hatch but it will be in super car class, I remember watching top gear with this golf, 500bhp I think and drove awful haha. I think it was in super class when I looked on the car list anyway.

As much as I tried to enjoy driveclub. I posted countless of videos online and was very active in the community, it saddens me to say but I traded in driveclub today. After the dust settled the game stopped clicking with me and it became a very sterile experience.

The constant traction control and forgiving grip levels just made me lose interest. It is criminal you cant turn off traction control in this game and as a long time car enthusiast these things are a detriment to my enjoyment to a racing game. Its funny but in the end I actually agreed with Jeff from Giant bomb. Its like Evolution wanted to make an authentic racing experience with realistic cars...but it all crumbles when the cars do not behave like the real thing.

I had 2 mates come over today. these guys race cars for a profession and after putting in some time in driveclub they put down the wheel and had the same opinion.

The essence and soul of a car is the engine notes, the thrill of losing traction or when the car side steps from sudden acceleration. Or when pulling from 2nd gear all the way to 4th with the wheels losing traction. All this was absent from Driveclub.

I hammered Evoliton on twitter and facebook to add in a more hardcore mode with all assists turned off but It never happened. And I wasn't the only one that was requesting this.

I had hands on with Project cars today and I felt right at home.

It was great driving with GAF while it lasted though:))

Did you get banned originally? I'm sure I remember a CJ (spartan) from early DC threads that used to post a lot of videos or is that another person with similar complaints.

I have to agree with Shaneus though as it is clear that you wanted a sim or at least a sim like approach to the physics but the game was never trying to be that. Would I like an additional driving model with all assists off and more realistic break zones? Yeah because that is my favoured racing game style of play but it doesn't really bother me that DC has the fixed approach as there are so many more games that take a sim approach, in fact I personally prefer DC has taken as it is a small niche in racing games that had been forgotten about. It is also better with a pad than a wheel, for some sim people that is unforgivable but it gives a much more level playing field.

Shaneus

Currently downloading... looks like it's well over 2GB to download (yes, I'm aware of the update's total size etc., it still shows it's downloaded 8GB of 9.858GB).

Had to download the system update on top of that. Ugh.

Edit:
It may look like a hot hatch but it will be in super car class, I remember watching top gear with this golf, 500bhp I think and drove awful haha. I think it was in super class when I looked on the car list anyway.
I was thinking there's a small chance it might be akin to the W12, but hoping it was a regular hatch. Both happy and a little disappointed it's more like the former!

Oh, and here's what the opening menu looks like post-patch:
11080020_101527303858zyje1.jpg

New look for menu buttons? Tell me that's not preparing for the potentially upcoming PS+ version.

New Startline tour in the menu:
11128507_10152730390499ygv.jpg

And what's inside:
11174529_101527303911jtli5.jpg

Fair enough, it sounds like DC simply wasn't for you. I don't believe the game was ever marketed as an authentic or realistic experience in terms of how the cars handle, though. And I don't believe realistic visuals should go hand-in-hand with realistic physics and behaviors of the cars. So I'd have to disagree with yourself and Jeff from Giant Bomb there.

Although I would like an option to disable the traction control. Especially for the drift events.

Ebolarama

Banned
I haven't had any time with the game post patch today. Are there new trophies with the Startline pack? Obviously there will be with the 2 DLC tours next week, but I was wondering if they are using a similar trophy list with Startline since it looks like the exact same setup as with the add-on tours.
Oops, looks like all those events (in the screenshot above) are taken directly from existing tours already...

I think the Ferrari list is technically complete, however I feel like that hyper car, the FXX, would fit perfectly in this game and be a great contender versus the Zonda R.

Shaneus

The real question is... does it have Venom Hot Lap 1 or 2 :D ?
Nope! Funny thing is as well, is if you notice on the main menu there are no stars allocated to it, but when you go in, there is. I guess that's just so there's no punishment for not doing them if you've already completed the base game.

Prediction: The PS+ version will come with India as well as having all Startline events driveable.

le-seb

Prediction: The PS+ version will come with India as well as having all Startline events driveable.
My take: the PS+ version will come as the full game, and the Startline events are just an appetizer for the additional paying content that will feature weather effects and additional tracks and locations.

Somebody else noticed this?
h_1429619540_9677769_b3a59a113d.jpeg

The F2P beast is back.

I haven't had any time with the game post patch today. Are there new trophies with the Startline pack? Obviously there will be with the 2 DLC tours next week, but I was wondering if they are using a similar trophy list with Startline since it looks like the exact same setup as with the add-on tours.
Oops, looks like all those events (in the screenshot above) are taken directly from existing tours already...

I think the Ferrari list is technically complete, however I feel like that hyper car, the FXX, would fit perfectly in this game and be a great contender versus the Zonda R.

I thought the FXX is already in the game, what was the MP only car they recently unlocked for SP?

Stacey

Banned
Disappointed that the starter tour is rehashed content from the season pass, but hey, can't complain with free.

When does the other content get released? Tomorrow or next Wednesday?

nib95

Banned
Fair enough, it sounds like DC simply wasn't for you. I don't believe the game was ever marketed as an authentic or realistic experience in terms of how the cars handle, though. And I don't believe realistic visuals should go hand-in-hand with realistic physics and behaviors of the cars. So I'd have to disagree with yourself and Jeff from Giant Bomb there.

Although I would like an option to disable the traction control. Especially for the drift events.

I think the game would be too fundamentally different if they did remove traction and make it more Sim like. I don't know what gave CJ the notion it was a Sim racer, because Evo have never advertised it as such. They've always advertised it as a half way house between arcade and Sim (hence simcade), and that's exactly what it is. It's not arcade enough that you can take corners with a complete disregard for ordinary racing rules and lines, or with completely death defying, over the top physics, but it's not Sim like either, in the sense that you're not having to worry about your brakes locking up, constantly spinning out etc.

I think that balance is partly why DriveClub is as fun and thrilling as it is. It's essentially a game that has extracted the thrill and essence of racing, without any of the technicalities or more serious handicaps, and served it in a breathtaking and mostly accessible package. But it's still far from easy, lacking a proper learning curve or unrequiring of skill, as the many posts saying the game is too hard exemplify.

To me it feels like a refinement of the simcade genre. GRID, PGR etc, but slightly more weighty and less twitchy, with a greater sense of speed, even more aesthetic feedback, superior visuals and much improved audio reproduction. It is not, and was never intended to be a Sim racer.

Disappointed that the starter tour is rehashed content from the season pass, but hey, can't complain with free.

When does the other content get released? Tomorrow or next Wednesday?

If you look at the events they allow users to try out a few paid DLC cars for free as well as cars that take a good while to unlock, so if you have the season pass you aren't really the target audience. Also to the people asking there are no trophies for the startline tour.

Next week for the rest, update always comes the week before the content drops.

xrnzaaas

Hm, so the Startline tour doesn't have trophies and the stars don't count towards the main progress? :(

Well, at least I'm having tons of fun with the LaFerrari. It drives great and it's one of the best looking cars in the game.

Looks like this game is only £20 with PS+ on the UK PSN. I might have to dive in but I'm super worried that I'll dislike the game. I know it's not the best place to ask since I'm sure you guys love the game, but how is the driving in it? That was Jeff Gerstmann's biggest complaint and that's most of what I know of the game. But I really want to play a track based racing game and the amount of free content and good looking paid content for this game seems excellent.

nib95

Banned
Looks like this game is only £20 with PS+ on the UK PSN. I might have to dive in but I'm super worried that I'll dislike the game. I know it's not the best place to ask since I'm sure you guys love the game, but how is the driving in it? That was Jeff Gerstmann's biggest complaint and that's most of what I know of the game. But I really want to play a track based racing game and the amount of free content and good looking paid content for this game seems excellent.

Have you played and did you like games like GRID, PGR or SHIFT?

I don't know man. It's like saying that AC:U or TO1886 are simulations because they can look realistic in their visual presentation, or that FH2 can't feel like a sim on the road with all the assists off because it features an arcade-ish art style (although it's entirely based off FM engine, which is considered a sim).
Modern games have been blurring borders for a while, now.

And as far as I'm concerned, both the realistic presentation and permissive handling are what sold me this game.
I probably wouldn't have bought it if it lacked its realistic lighting and environments or featured a pure sim handling (which I find quickly boring).

QFT.

xrnzaaas

For me the handling it's great. It's not 100% arcade like with most NfS games. Some cars are really challenging to drive and the weather conditions can also make things difficult. Oh, and it's not 100% closed tracks. The game also has plenty of open stages and drift events (I'm not a fan of them, but they're not in the majority).

Did you get banned originally? I'm sure I remember a CJ (spartan) from early DC threads that used to post a lot of videos or is that another person with similar complaints.

I have to agree with Shaneus though as it is clear that you wanted a sim or at least a sim like approach to the physics but the game was never trying to be that. Would I like an additional driving model with all assists off and more realistic break zones? Yeah because that is my favoured racing game style of play but it doesn't really bother me that DC has the fixed approach as there are so many more games that take a sim approach, in fact I personally prefer DC has taken as it is a small niche in racing games that had been forgotten about. It is also better with a pad than a wheel, for some sim people that is unforgivable but it gives a much more level playing field.

No he didn't get banned, just went into hiding from this thread after he got found out for accusing Red Cammao of cheating and lying about what was said after. I really couldn't give 2 shits about his or his "professional racing driver" friends opinion of the game.

Currently downloading... looks like it's well over 2GB to download (yes, I'm aware of the update's total size etc., it still shows it's downloaded 8GB of 9.858GB).

Had to download the system update on top of that. Ugh.

Edit:
I was thinking there's a small chance it might be akin to the W12, but hoping it was a regular hatch. Both happy and a little disappointed it's more like the former!

Oh, and here's what the opening menu looks like post-patch:
11080020_101527303858zyje1.jpg

New look for menu buttons? Tell me that's not preparing for the potentially upcoming PS+ version.

New Startline tour in the menu:
11128507_10152730390499ygv.jpg

And what's inside:
11174529_101527303911jtli5.jpg

Damn that's gorgeous

By the way, I haven't had much time to play the game (or any games) lately but I do thoroughly enjoy keeping up with this thread even when I'm not racing. DC-GAF is one of the best communities I've ever been a part of, and you guys are all the real deal (some of you are pretty good racers too :p).

Apologies for the cheese-fest but felt I had to say that. It's refreshing to have a place to discuss and enjoy a game with level-headed and fun people. Can't wait for private lobbies.

AMG

Neo Member

I love racing games and this is one of the best I've played. The arcade feel is more sim feel than..... Let's say NFS. 😄 yes I have NFS and have played them since the road and track presents Need For Speed days. Anyway, the graphics alone are worth the £20! What a beauty this game is, actually a stunning beauty!! It still impresses me now and that's from October 2014 till now.

The track design is excellent for the most part. Lots of well designed and thought out tracks! Then the car details challenge even the mighty Gran Turismo (which is one of my favourite games of all time). The updates and new cars have kept the game very fresh. Never have I seen after sales support like what we have received from Evo in the video game industry. Just brilliant. This game was created with a lot of passion and love! And it's getting equally great support keeping it fresh and new 6 whole months after launch.

I actually don't know of ANY game that has had this level of support and has managed to keep me this interested months after release. Well done to Evo and may they please make a season pass 2!! 🙏🏼

kie25

The new look menu is pictures we the community have taken :) they have used there favourite pics and added them to the menu :) great touch.

Top Bottom