• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Makikou

I'd say its personal preference. Kie has said or at least mentioned that the people making top times are a mixture between automatic and manual. I personally see it as a huge headache vs minimal gains for my own shitty driving. I'd be better served learning to corner better in the first place but thats just me.

I use 99% AT. In driveclub it really does not matter, the AT is quite optimal and if you want to shortshift, you can.

Ainsz

Here's a close race between me, Anythingbut66 and RayGunX2 from earlier today. The highlight of the race is at 2 minutes 20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=eeLGmmcPv3c

I use 99% AT. In driveclub it really does not matter, the AT is quite optimal and if you want to shortshift, you can.

This is true. I use MT mostly because it makes driving a little more involving. I get a bit bored driving without the gear changes. Once you've got into to the habit of changing, it barely takes any more concentration and comes naturally. But the advantage is minimal if at all, unlike in Gran Turismo for instance.

krioto

I know I could probably find this somewhere else but just wanted to get fresh opinions, is it worth it to learn manual gear shifting? it takes alot more concentrated effort when I gave it a go but besides the advantage of meticulous concentration at all times would you reccomend it ? i'm trying to get faster times now that i'm in the tougher end of the races

Manual gear shifting is the only way to go - I'm not a fan of automatic, just seems less of an experience

I think it's shows how impossible it is to get a difficulty level to suit everyone - I started the Turbocharged tour last night and the only event I had to do more than once to 3 star was that drift event on Nagasendo. There's just a massive span of player ability and Evo get criticised for trying to allow for this by having the AI slow down if they're ahead.

What's funny is that I find pure sims like GT and Forza totally manageable because I can easily 'read' the car and driving physics. Its harder to control a fast car in a corner but its more predictable, you know exactly when its starting to lose traction so you can control it. It feels more organic. In DC its either on or off, at one moment you're doing fine and the car is sticking to the road and the next moment it suddenly loses traction without warning. Everything else is manageable but this is the one thing I can't put my finger on, and I keep losing time because of it.

Shaneus

Do you use the throttle only as full-on or full-off? I found I started getting infinitely better when instead of pumping the accel to get a good median speed through a corner, I just feathered it between 0 and 100%. Hell, I even did a semi-successful spring mod to my trigger to make it stiffer.

I actually use right stick for throttle and break for better control over how much power I can apply during exiting a corner, a habit from GT series. I don't know if it applies smooth 1 to 1 power or jumps in intervals for eg. like 1/3rd, 2/3rd and full. The way car behaves I'm guessing its the later.

What's funny is that I find pure sims like GT and Forza totally manageable because I can easily 'read' the car and driving physics. Its harder to control a fast car in a corner but its more predictable, you know exactly when its starting to lose traction so you can control it. It feels more organic. In DC its either on or off, at one moment you're doing fine and the car is sticking to the road and the next moment it suddenly loses traction without warning. Everything else is manageable but this is the one thing I can't put my finger on, and I keep losing time because of it.

Someone else said that a while back and thought they were bullshitting about playing the game as I find the grip really easy to feel and not dissimilar to the way GT and Forza do their grip feedback, it's strange that some people feel it totally differently and that would make the game totally suck for me as it's so important. I played a few times with the chase came and I couldn't feel any grip but I'm like that with all racing games when it comes to that view.

I actually use right stick for throttle and break for better control over how much power I can apply during exiting a corner, a habit from GT series. I don't know if it applies smooth 1 to 1 power or jumps in intervals for eg. like 1/3rd, 2/3rd and full. The way car behaves I'm guessing its the later.

So are you talking about losing grip during acceleration, braking, cornering or all 3? I must say I've never felt that way but it's been a while since I played GT so can't really compare the feel you get when you're on the limit.

So are you talking about losing grip during acceleration, braking, cornering or all 3? I must say I've never felt that way but it's been a while since I played GT so can't really compare the feel you get when you're on the limit.

Mostly acceleration while exiting corners. It feels completely random and unpredictable, sometimes it stick perfectly while other times it just lets go like someone kicked the car from below. Its like you're driving on a glue and you're fine right up to the limit, but if you go ever so slightly above that limit, it snaps and sends you skidding. There is no grey area in between. Which is why I'm thinking the acceleration is probably not linear at all.

Mostly acceleration while exiting corners. It feels completely random and unpredictable, sometimes it stick perfectly while other times it just lets go like someone kicked the car from below. Its like you're driving on a glue and you're fine right up to the limit, but if you go ever so slightly above that limit, it snaps and sends you skidding. There is no grey area in between. Which is why I'm thinking the acceleration is probably not linear at all.

Hmm have you tried using R2 for accelerator control to see how it feels in comparison? I didn't think the game had the right stick acceleration option at first so it's been patched in later, and you're the only person I've heard from who uses it so like you say it could be an issue with the implementation.

-Amon-

L2 / R2 is much more precise for brake / throttle control imo.

Give it a serious try if you're having throttle control problems.

nib95

Banned
Plays allot more like a simulation game with the wheel, lots more Emersion especially from the dash view where your wheel looks like it's in the car, so happy that project cars has got the same view :)

Yeap. Dash cam is best cam. It's my go to view.

Hmm have you tried using R2 for accelerator control to see how it feels in comparison? I didn't think the game had the right stick acceleration option at first so it's been patched in later, and you're the only person I've heard from who uses it so like you say it could be an issue with the implementation.

L2 / R2 is much more precise for brake / throttle control imo.

Give it a serious try if you're having throttle control problems.

I did play it with triggers before they patched in the right stick controls, but I'll switch back because its not working anyway.

Here's a close race between me, Anythingbut66 and RayGunX2 from earlier today. The highlight of the race is at 2 minutes 20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=eeLGmmcPv3c

This is true. I use MT mostly because it makes driving a little more involving. I get a bit bored driving without the gear changes. Once you've got into to the habit of changing, it barely takes any more concentration and comes naturally. But the advantage is minimal if at all, unlike in Gran Turismo for instance.

Wait, what even happened at the end? Connection looked fine for 7 minutes but 10 seconds from finishing they just straight up teleported (yeah I know, you can't do that).

So why are the ai slower 1-2 seconds per lap between 3 lap races vs first 3 laps of 25 lap races when running lap times to the same target?

ai profile variations or just borked? I can't believe I'm saying this but the ai is worse than Gran Turismo's, please add ai sliders for single event races affecting behaviour or ai car power/ grip boost in the next update, they're too slow over long races :(

driveclub_20150501152k5ox1.jpg

Nailed it!

nib95

Banned
Saw the episode of Top Gear on Dave with the Eagle Speedster again. I would love this vehicle in Driveclub. Don't really have any classic looking cars yet, and I can imagine the cockpit view, coupled with the sonic experience and less grounded nature of the vehicle's handling compared to say, supercars, would just be amazing.

eagle-speedster-jaguar-e-type-photo-559355-s-986x603.jpg

I did play it with triggers before they patched in the right stick controls, but I'll switch back because its not working anyway.

Worth doing a back to back time trial with either method and let us know the results - good info for Evo there is an issue.

Saw the episode of Top Gear on Dave with the Eagle Speedster again. I would love this vehicle in Driveclub. Don't really have any classic looking cars yet, and I can imagine the cockpit view, coupled with the sonic experience and less grounded nature of the vehicle's handling compared to say, supercars, would just be amazing.

Yeah that'd be ace to see in there - might happen, you never know :)

Ainsz

Wait, what even happened at the end? Connection looked fine for 7 minutes but 10 seconds from finishing they just straight up teleported (yeah I know, you can't do that).

It happens on my end quite a bit. DC servers still aren't stable but my internet connection's not the best.

Auctopus

That's the one based on the E-Type right?

I've been begging Rushy for the E-Type for a while. I'm not sure how Evolution have to go about licensing but the car manufacturers have some beautiful cars that could make for an amazing Classic Car Pack.

Chevrolet
akersonvette660.jpg

Jaguar
silver-e-type-cotswold-valley-960x480.jpg

Lamborghini

Ferrari
1959-ferrari-250-gt-lwb-california-spyder.jpg

Aston Martin
Aston-Martin-DB5-1_2552970b.jpg

There you go, Rushy! An incredible car pack using your current car manufacture licensing and you can do an event pack all around it.

I'll understand if you need to crush my dreams.

kie25

I've been begging Rushy for the E-Type for a while. I'm not sure how Evolution have to go about licensing but the car manufacturers have some beautiful cars that could make for an amazing Classic Car Pack.

Chevrolet
akersonvette660.jpg

Jaguar

Lamborghini

Ferrari

Aston Martin

There you go, Rushy! An incredible car pack using your current car manufacture licensing and you can do an event pack all around it.

Can't say id want this they would be slow handle like crap and would not fit into any class, and they can't create a class as that would be far to much work, as great as they look I'd rather the time was spent adding cars that would be great to drive.

nib95

Banned

Chevrolet
akersonvette660.jpg

Jaguar

Lamborghini

Ferrari

Aston Martin

Yeap, based on the E-Type (almost exactly the same from the exterior with minor material touch ups), only with a completely stripped out replacement high performance engine and race parts.

And yea, all your picks are solid. Basically the perfect classic pack. Not sure any but the Eagle Speedster would be that fast mind. Though there are classics like Shelby/AC Cobra that are pretty quick despite their age.

Lunar FC

Just got rear end about 30 minutes ago by a lady who was obviously impared somehow. Could tell she was on something for awhile but couldn't get out of the way due to heavy traffic. Had two kids in the vehicle and drove off when I got out of my car. Doesn't really hit you how terrible some people are until it affects you.

Pour one out for my brand new Fiat 500 Driveclub-Gaf. :(

nib95

Banned
Just got rear end about 30 minutes ago by a lady who was obviously impared somehow. Could tell she was on something for awhile but couldn't get out of the way due to heavy traffic. Had two kids in the vehicle and drove off when I got out of my car. Doesn't really hit you how terrible some people are until it affects you.

Pour one out for my brand new Fiat 500 Driveclub-Gaf. :(

tumblr_mku6266ycG1s5ty3yo1_500.gif

Insurance has you covered I presume?

The LaFerrari is showing up on the store as $3.49 even though i'm a season pass holder. What's up with that?

edit - must have been a bug, I've been Ferrari level 5 for a while but now the LaFerrari is unlocked. don't know why it wasn't before

I got at Lv4... I'm not sure why. Maybe because I have a Season Pass? But I was definitely Lv4 because I got Lv5 about 15 minutes later with it. It wasn't downloaded on my car list in-game so I clicked it, took me to the DC Store, and I just downloaded it and was able to drive it instantly. Definitely didn't pay either (triple checked this since two days ago). Was Lv4 (about 85% to Lv5) with season pass.

Makikou

Some people online are just the worst. I do make mistakes and i did 2 today, and a certain person decided i had knocked out 3 people on purpose and placed a vendetta for me.

Yeah, right. Surprisingly the same person goes on to a vendetta on fucking every person who touches his car. Racing incidents happen, in DRIVECLUB they are much more pronounced because of the wild differences in cars, small tracks and somewhat freaky netcode/collision physics.

But hey, i guess some just take some good enjoyment on crashing people out like a maniac and trying to shield themselves under a "good cause".

./online rant

Ugh, just had to vent that out. Well, 100 races to be grinded and then i can just come back for the tours.

le-seb

The LaFerrari is showing up on the store as $3.49 even though i'm a season pass holder. What's up with that?

edit - must have been a bug, I've been Ferrari level 5 for a while but now the LaFerrari is unlocked. don't know why it wasn't before
It's not a bug, what you've seen on the store is the paying shortcut to unlock the car.

xrnzaaas

It's not a bug, what you've seen on the store is the paying shortcut to unlock the car.

Problem is it still appears even if you've unlocked the car in the game. Shouldn't happen, because someone might buy the car by mistake even when he already has it.

le-seb

Problem is it still appears even if you've unlocked the car in the game. Shouldn't happen, because someone might buy the car by mistake even when he already has it.
Sony will never let a game alter the Store content based on achievements.
So you'd probably better learn paying attention to what you're buying.

Some people online are just the worst. I do make mistakes and i did 2 today, and a certain person decided i had knocked out 3 people on purpose and placed a vendetta for me.

Yeah, right. Surprisingly the same person goes on to a vendetta on fucking every person who touches his car. Racing incidents happen, in DRIVECLUB they are much more pronounced because of the wild differences in cars, small tracks and somewhat freaky netcode/collision physics.

But hey, i guess some just take some good enjoyment on crashing people out like a maniac and trying to shield themselves under a "good cause".

./online rant

Ugh, just had to vent that out. Well, 100 races to be grinded and then i can just come back for the tours.

Yep some people treat the slightest touch as a deliberate attempt to take them out and use that as justification to smash you all over the damn place. Usually you are too damn fast for them to catch anyway tho Maki, you losing your touch?! ;-)

deoee

Something I saw by accident and somehow blew my mind:

xjniSEm.jpg

They seem to have implemented realistic moonphases ingame. But I can't tell how they work :D

farmerboy

./online rant

Dont worry, private lobbies will make it all better, when they eventually implement them. But dickheads can ruin a great night. "Don't get mad, get even"

The Bentleys are your friend ;-)

Stacey

Banned
Whoever made the decision to include the wombat in the Evolution tour should be punished!

Took me a good half hour to realise that cutting corners was the way to go, not fun at all :(

Man I haven't touched my PS4 in almost 2 weeks, been out of town.

Can't fucking wait to download the latest stuff and jump back into DC a bit later. What did I miss with the latest update?

xrnzaaas

Sony will never let a game alter the Store content based on achievements.

Yeah, looks like it. PS Store is kinda new to me, because I didn't own a PS3 and I bought a PS4 almost a year after the premiere. There are a lot of things that annoy me like for example making it difficult to get new content. When I'm playing an episodic adventure game and purchased a season pass I'd like for all the downloads to be done automatically. Instead I have to remember about premiere dates of new episodes, find them in the store and download them manually.

Anyone else having probs accessing the turbocharged mp events? Got the season pass but can't re-download the pack. (Been tweeting Driveclub about it).

UvtKoua.jpg

Peak Performance is haaaaaaaaaaaaaard. Struggling with that one.

edit: Woohoo!
Congrats.
Peak performance is a matter of finding the right line and perform that for 12 tours.

Whoever made the decision to include the wombat in the Evolution tour should be punished!

Took me a good half hour to realise that cutting corners was the way to go, not fun at all :(
Well they told everyone the minute after it was online that it can cut corners ( It wasn't an april fools! )
Besides , the ghosts made kinda clear that it was the right thing to do.

Anyone else having probs accessing the turbocharged mp events? Got the season pass but can't re-download the pack. (Been tweeting Driveclub about it).

UvtKoua.jpg

You should have a second choice if you pick the turbo charged event in that page. Get the other one and it should unlock.
Better use the in-game driveclub store to get it properly.

Here's what the DriveClub game tile looks like when I drill down into it from the PS4 dash:

Have owned the game from day one, and even re-installed it from scratch when swapping in a larger hard drive. Makes no difference. Can't even rate the game as I only ever see the option to buy it again.

Yep.

Top Bottom