• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Mascot

My brief foray into online racing in DC has been full of incidents like this. Everyone seems to be a griefer, but I think it's an unfortunate by-product of the narrow tracks littered with hairpin bends, made a lot worse with reduced grip in inclement weather. Clean overtaking is extremely difficult to achieve. The track-side barriers on these tracks make wall riding easy too.

Joe Public is a twat until he proves otherwise of course (and some people just can't drive), but the more open races on the wider race tracks are a lot, lot cleaner, especially when gravel traps and run-off areas make wall riding impossible. People seem to be more courteous on the dedicated race tracks as opposed to the public roads.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
My brief foray into online racing in DC has been full of incidents like this. Everyone seems to be a griefer, but I think it's an unfortunate by-product of the narrow tracks littered with hairpin bends, made a lot worse with reduced grip in inclement weather. Clean overtaking is extremely difficult to achieve. The track-side barriers on these tracks make wall riding easy too.

Joe Public is a twat until he proves otherwise of course (and some people just can't drive), but the more open races on the wider race tracks are a lot, lot cleaner, especially when gravel traps and run-off areas make wall riding impossible. People seem to be more courteous on the dedicated race tracks as opposed to the public roads.

That and the fact that the AI drivers suck balls and are always running into your rear end, side swiping you in curves, and that you tend to do better beating the AI by returning the favor a lot of the time (unless you're an awesome racer gamer and are always out in front of course).

So in some sense the game is teaching people to drive that way. I'm hoping the AI drivers are much more realistic in Project Cars.

Had a brief go on Project Cars in game a little while ago using the Bac mono @ Brands GP, lets just say go in with a Driveclub attitude to the throttle and brake and you`ll be arse about face in no time! Precision and patient attitude will be the key with it.....looks nice tho.

Artorias

Banned
Any suggestions for farming fame to finish out the plat? I'm level 40 now but the stretch to 50 seems ridiculous. I know its supposed to be gradual but nothing I do seems to even make a dent at this point, I feel like I'm missing something.

Is it true that it takes 14 million for level 50?

farmerboy

postcyberpunk is having a meltdown over on the main gaming page

intentionally trying to get banned or juniored?

edit: aaaaand he's gone.

postcyberpunk, our one stop shop for Rockband news. T'was amusing.

Had a brief go on Project Cars in game a little while ago using the Bac mono @ Brands GP, lets just say go in with a Driveclub attitude to the throttle and brake and you`ll be arse about face in no time! Precision and patient attitude will be the key with it.....looks nice tho.

Friend of mine is getting this and will probably splurge on a wheel as well. Looking forward to trying it out, and probably will get convinced to getting it as well. One thing that I think will be interesting will be the readjustment like you've said. It'll be like a game full of Ariel Atoms.

Shit, if that was the BAC Mono, what would the Ariel be like?

OK, enough pCARS talk. Driveclub baby. This vague statement of "Driveclub as a service". I think it's a given that it will probably entail another season pass. But if it's more of the same, is that a good thing? More cars a great, but I'm hankering for more tracks or another location. Might be biased but Australia would make a great location.

Also timing. I would think the ps+ version is the priority right now and I don't think we'll see anything after that for a while. I think if they want Driveclub to succeed as a service then the club aspect of it really needs to be fleshed out a bit more. Private lobbies and races between clubs really need to happen asap.

BShadowJ

Hello there! I was thinking about whether I should get this game or not for a long while, but I finally conceded and bought it yesterday. Finally was able to try it out today, and it seems fun (granted I've only done one race as of yet...). I was just wondering if there are any GAF clubs still with a spot open, since this it is a big part of the game and all... If there is, thanks! And now back to trying the game out some more :p

krioto

Does anyone know if Evolution have performed some server side updates? Everything is updating super quick, and I can now see full stats for all cars

RefigeKru

Banned
Caved in and bought a PS4 :)

I knew I'd love the game through playing it at a friend's but being able to do the tour by myself is amazing, getting a feel for the cars and tracks I didn't have before. Playing with no HUD of course.

Best racing game? Best racing game.

So after getting cold feet on day one, I've come around to reconsidering Driveclub, as I'd finally like a racing game.

I would probably get pCars if it was more affordable, but I'm guessing Driveclub has come a long way since launch

xrnzaaas

Does anyone know if Evolution have performed some server side updates? Everything is updating super quick, and I can now see full stats for all cars

I've noticed it myself. Hopefully it's not because everyone is at work or they can't login to PSN. ;)

Anyway Driveclub will soon be going on a (short) break, because I've preordered Project CARS and I should have the game the day after tomorrow (not the fastest delivery, but I don't mind waiting one more day).

Maybe they pruned everything again, I know the last time they said they'd done some bigger changes everything was ultra quick and then things soon went slower and slower and slower. Still plenty fast enough, but.

krioto

Maybe they pruned everything again, I know the last time they said they'd done some bigger changes everything was ultra quick and then things soon went slower and slower and slower. Still plenty fast enough, but.

I hope it stays this way - to clarify my earlier comments, before yesterday, most of the DLC cars did not show kilometres driven stats in the Garage, or on the Car Selection screens - additionally, my kilometres driven per track/car did not update during the session - to see updated stats I would need to close DC, and then next time I played, I would see it updated from the previous session.

Doesn't seem like a big deal - but I love giving myself little challenges, like driving at least 100km in every car, or 3000km per location etc, so I'm glad its updating in real time now

Sirenty

Seems like everyone is off doing something else. Challenges have dried up big time; even community ones.

The only thing I can do is stalk farmerboy and try to beat his times.

mreddie

Okay, I'm getting back on since school is winding down and played the Evo/Turbo Events and...a lot of rain...A lot.

Kinda a weak pack aside from the F40.

farmerboy

Seems like everyone is off doing something else. Challenges have dried up big time; even community ones.

I fucking new it. I'm glad you're courteous enough to say "try", cos to me it feels like you don't need to try. There's you and this guy Burtonni who's times are just outta reach for me. You can live with the guys that are way outta reach, its the ones that are tantalizingly close that make me swear the loudest. I love it.

When I see that GnG avatar I'm like "Bloody hell". :)

Feels good to be playing driveclub again.

Watch your back.
good to see you posting here again :)

Auctopus

I don't think Community is drying up, I think Driveclub has limited the ability to endlessly browse community challenges and you're only given 6-7 at a time. It's annoying.

I don't think Community is drying up, I think Driveclub has limited the ability to endlessly browse community challenges and you're only given 6-7 at a time. It's annoying.

Sooner we can create out own lobbies the better. The game is great but it's lacking something, I'd like a few more interesting circuits included as well for some good long GAF races.

xrnzaaas

Okay, I'm getting back on since school is winding down and played the Evo/Turbo Events and...a lot of rain...A lot.

Kinda a weak pack aside from the F40.

Yep, the rain in almost every event is a little annoying, but at least it adds to the challenge. Especially since AI cars don't seem to be affected by it that much. ;) As for the recently added cars, LaFerrari and Charger are among my favorites so far.

I know I've had a break from DC for the baby, but my club activity has dropped to zero now. Maki was back on for a while but I think he's lost to Project Cars now and the other guys seem to have found other games too. As everyone else seems to be saying, I think something new is required to draw people back in again, whether it's new tracks, online events or the long awaited private servers. It just may be too little too late however now that Project Cars is here...

There will definitely be a quieter period while guys at least check out pCARS. Some will come back, some will stay there.

I'm sure you're right bud, just a bit sad a lot of the guys I used to drive with online have left the game.

Just seen this vid on the mount Washington hill climb - something like this and pikes peak would be fantastic for season pass 2. The last 6-7 minutes are the record attempt.

http://youtu.be/X73jEQwHhWA

You mean Black Secret 007? Raced these two in one MP endurance race and one of them started ridicoulus ramming after a few rounds. Since i couldn't saw any other way i just rammed back and won at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60AIXRa63yk

Always bugs me when fairly good drivers use such methods.

On another note,i definitely get more ghosting now in MP races, yesterday and today again. Either the full or half grid is ghosting for me. Never had this problem so much before.

I just did a google search for these two Black_Secret_007 assholes and found their mention here after a couple of awfully annoying races with them. Mother of god, I don't think I've ever encounter shitheads this bad in a racing game before. Just ramming and dirty tactics constantly throughout the race.

IKizzLE

I know I've had a break from DC for the baby, but my club activity has dropped to zero now. Maki was back on for a while but I think he's lost to Project Cars now and the other guys seem to have found other games too. As everyone else seems to be saying, I think something new is required to draw people back in again, whether it's new tracks, online events or the long awaited private servers. It just may be too little too late however now that Project Cars is here...

I literally came back to play the DLC and get all the stars, then played a couple of online events and that was it. TBH, the online events aren't varied enough (way too many time trials) and I'm always stuck using the same cars. If there were private servers, I'd be back to playing daily.

farmerboy

Performance on ps4 is terrible. Frame drops and tearing, LOVELY

Just took this post from the pCARS OT and quoted it here. Not sure how reliable this poster is but there are a few examples of guys not being happy with the performance.

While I hear things like this I'll be hesitant until I can try it out for myself. THE best thing about DC is its absolute solid performance under any condition which just absolutely grounds you and never takes you out of the game.

Lack of private lobbies and the ability to set up which MP events you want to play are what are driving people away. Also, the club aspect really doesn't have a killer hook, probably cos of online again.

MMaRsu

I still play Driveclub and will continue to do so. Because its so much fun to play. Im not sure if pCars will be as much fun.

Just took this post from the pCARS OT and quoted it here. Not sure how reliable this poster is but there are a few examples of guys not being happy with the performance.

While I hear things like this I'll be hesitant until I can try it out for myself. THE best thing about DC is its absolute solid performance under any condition which just absolutely grounds you and never takes you out of the game.

Lack of private lobbies and the ability to set up which MP events you want to play are what are driving people away. Also, the club aspect really doesn't have a killer hook, probably cos of online again.

He followed up with this

Might be a possible bug. Ive deleted and reinstalled the game with patch and its working fine.

lordxar

I watched a friend of mine playing PCars last night and it seemed fine. Really got the itch to drive so I'm playing some DC tonight.

farmerboy

He followed up with this

Serves me right for posting quickly between jobs at work. :(

Still though, will have to try this out for myself as soon as I can, it's not always just the numbers that play a part. It can easily be a compelling experience as a sum of its parts - just like Driveclub is.

Seriously though, it'll have to be a great game to drag me away from Driveclub.

IKizzLE

Serves me right for posting quickly between jobs at work. :(

Still though, will have to try this out for myself as soon as I can, it's not always just the numbers that play a part. It can easily be a compelling experience as a sum of its parts - just like Driveclub is.

Seriously though, it'll have to be a great game to drag me away from Driveclub.
Performance issues come into play when you have 30+ cars on the track at night with full rainstorm, but honestly that's to be expected. The game itself is a technical achievement.

le-seb

Performance issues come into play when you have 30+ cars on the track at night with full rainstorm, but honestly that's to be expected. The game itself is a technical achievement.
I can somewhat live with the framerate hiccups and a bit of screen tearing (although I'd prefer a locked 30 fps like in Driveclub), but the ghosting is really putting me off.
Also, bolded is not entirely true, crazy tearing and framerate drops can also happen in more forgiving conditions.

It's probably a good game, nevertheless.

xrnzaaas

After finishing the Evolution tour I must say that the Rimac is awful. I hate how it looks, how it sounds and how unmaneuverable it is. I'm glad they added a new "endurance" race in the tour, but I'd wish it was on another track so that the challenges on each new lap would provide more variety.

le-seb

After finishing the Evolution tour I must say that the Rimac is awful. I hate how it looks, how it sounds and how unmaneuverable it is. I'm glad they added a new "endurance" race in the tour, but I'd wish it was on another track so that the challenges on each new lap would provide more variety.
Ah ah yes, I've tried it during a MP time trial yesterday.
It's like a crazy fast super tanker, you need to engage your cornering way before the corner.

xrnzaaas

Ah ah yes, I've tried it during a MP time trial yesterday.
It's like a crazy fast super tanker, you need to engage your cornering way before the corner.

Plus it's harder (at least for me) to find optimal speed through the corner, because I like to base it on choosing the right gear. This one has no traditional gearbox.

Ainsz

Plus it's harder (at least for me) to find optimal speed through the corner, because I like to base it on choosing the right gear. This one has no traditional gearbox.

It's all in the handbrake. But even then it's a dog to drive but it'll get round a corner faster with it.

It's all in the handbrake. But even then it's a dog to drive but it'll get round a corner faster with it.

Oh right, so that's the trick - It just understeers like hell if you treat it like any other car. I gave Evo's car handling guy some stick over it last night but he ignored me! ;-)

Oh right, so that's the trick - It just understeers like hell if you treat it like any other car. I gave Evo's car handling guy some stick over it last night but he ignored me! ;-)

Yeah just hit the handbrake and the thing just straightens up the moment you hit the throttle again. It's still a turd though.

Lies, all of it. Rimac is a beast. It is a bit slow off the marks, but once it gets going, it gets going.

Wouldn't advise it on twisty tracks, but on the P2P tracks or the race circuits you're laughing, OT'ing everyone in sight down the long stretches like its nothing.

Top Bottom