• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Man i really can't do this Jagged Edge Drift event, i'm a thousand short every time at least!

After taking a few weeks off and then coming back to a new drift scoring system it seems now that speed is favoured over all else.

I struggle a lot more with the drifts now whereas before it'd only ever be a handful of attempts to get 3 stars.

xrnzaaas

After taking a few weeks off and then coming back to a new drift scoring system it seems now that speed is favoured over all else.

I struggle a lot more with the drifts now whereas before it'd only ever be a handful of attempts to get 3 stars.

Yeah this is very noticable in the new Kinloch (Scotland) drift event. You can earn tons of points by doing long drifts in the easy middle corners as long as you don't lose too much speed. I'd even say that a good score depends solely on them, because you can't squeeze too many extra points when drifting through tight ~90-degree corners.

farmerboy

It's all in the handbrake. But even then it's a dog to drive but it'll get round a corner faster with it.

Hmmm, will have to try this. I just wish DC had a virtual cliff somewhere where you could drive all the cars you don't like off of it. I'd have a nice little pile down there.

Tommi84

After finishing the Turbocharged pack, I have few thoughts/comments to Evolution:

- I'm sick and tired of heavy rain/snow (during dark night especially). Please, stop it. Just STOP. Make a tour where there's only sunny weather and call it like: Starring at the sun, Drivesun, Sunblaze or whatever. Just give me sun, sun and no precipitation. I know it's one of the main features, but I'm sick of it. And judging by the comments here already, not only me.
- 'futuristic' dashboard is just not for me. F40 has great, classic dashboard. Not sure why car manufacturers think it's a cool idea... It's not. The same goes for GT Vision in Gran Turismo - all GT Vision cars I've seen looks rather poor.
- american muscle cars drive like garbage. They are tanks and drive like tanks. F40 (or almost any EU car) is either like a cobra when you use 100% throttle or gentle like a lamb when you doesn't use all power. It changes. It shows how important a good throttle management is. US cars are all the same with 20 or 100% throttle. Franklz, they are just worse version of Bentley - like 20times worse

After finishing the Turbocharged pack, I have few thoughts/comments to Evolution:

- I'm sick and tired of heavy rain/snow (during dark night especially). Please, stop it. Just STOP. Make a tour where there's only sunny weather and call it like: Starring at the sun, Drivesun, Sunblaze or whatever. Just give me sun, sun and no precipitation. I know it's one of the main features, but I'm sick of it. And judging by the comments here already, not only me.

Last night during those double Xp events , there was plenty of dry races ( no rain , no snow ) ..
it was actually refreshing , because i had totally forgot the feel of some races without rain

Not seeing the rain/snow hate quite honestly. I wouldn't say there is too many events in the tour packs with them at all. Maybe that comes from living in a rainy country :p

And the Rimac is very easy to tame, nothing as difficult like the squirmy cars like the Twin'Run.

Just remember you need to brake a little earlier than you otherwise would and do most of your turning without touching the throttle. Once it's turned enough you can generally get a powerslide going to get your some speed coming out the corner.

- 'futuristic' dashboard is just not for me. F40 has great, classic dashboard. Not sure why car manufacturers think it's a cool idea... It's not. The same goes for GT Vision in Gran Turismo - all GT Vision cars I've seen looks rather poor.
- american muscle cars drive like garbage. They are tanks and drive like tanks. F40 (or almost any EU car) is either like a cobra when you use 100% throttle or gentle like a lamb when you doesn't use all power. It changes. It shows how important a good throttle management is. US cars are all the same with 20 or 100% throttle. Franklz, they are just worse version of Bentley - like 20times worse

Think you should take them up with car manufactures rather than Evolution ;)

I would love to see more classic cars though. The F40 really stands out, well it does in real life as well but more cars with that kind of heritage like the Ferrari 330 p4, the Jaguar XJ1, and the Lamborghini Miura would be great. What I'd personally like to see is a mixture of contemporary race class cars, some open wheel, some concept, some rally (damn I hope Codemaster bring DiRT Rally to PS4) and anything else they think would be fun.

Not seeing the rain/snow hate quite honestly. I wouldn't say there is too many events in the tour packs with them at all. Maybe that comes from living in a rainy country :p

And the Rimac is very easy to tame, nothing as difficult like the squirmy cars like the Twin'Run.

Just remember you need to brake a little earlier than you otherwise would and do most of your turning without touching the throttle. Once it's turned enough you can generally get a powerslide going to get your some speed coming out the corner.

it's not really hate , just fatigue ..i still think rain/snow is awesome ... but goddamn some events , you'd wish that the condition would be set and that's it.
I'm actually happy since this month the events were actually more "balanced" in term of weather settings , especially in the "evolution" campaign

Duallusion

Another vote against that many rainy events. It was raining in, like, 90% of events in the last couple of tours. Evo should take a look at how many most popular community challenges are set in bad weather and/or night. Not that many, from my experience.

Auctopus

Rimac is a mess to drive but no different than learning the Twinrun or the Xbow, just another car with wonky feels.

Twinrun is an absolute dream, whereas my time learning with other cars is spent understanding their limitations, my time with the Twinrun was understanding that it had none, haha.

You point the stick and it goes there.

Twinrun is an absolute dream, whereas my time learning with other cars is spent understanding their limitations, my time with the Twinrun was understanding that it had none, haha.

That's exactly what I thought, sometimes at higher speeds it feels like the car is pivoting from the centre but that's because the car has such a small wheel base.

Online is even worse for night/rain events. It's so rare to get a dry race in the middle of the day. Really gets tiresome after a few hours of play with friends. Custom lobbies can't come soon enough.

lordxar

I want to really like the Twinrun and I do but it was a bitch to learn. The short wheelbase is very misleading for the speed. So I'd turn early and fuck up. It oversteers like a sumbitch and I didn't care for that either. However I do like driving it. Just knocked out a couple stars on the first DLC the other day in it. I just needed to focus on learning its nuances.

That's exactly what I thought, sometimes at higher speeds it feels like the car is pivoting from the centre but that's because the car has such a small wheel base.

I just find it tough when you first get into it, like you have to recalibrate your driving as it is so different to everything else - makes it that bit tougher jumping into it in an online race but as Auctopus says, it is bloody amazing once you adjust to it.

I want to really like the Twinrun and I do but it was a bitch to learn. The short wheelbase is very misleading for the speed. So I'd turn early and fuck up. It oversteers like a sumbitch and I didn't care for that either. However I do like driving it. Just knocked out a couple stars on the first DLC the other day in it. I just needed to focus on learning its nuances.

just faff about on Los Pelembres in it, by the time you have done a few laps in that you should be able to throw it all over the place.

v1lla21

Omfg messed up my last lap in a LaFerrari time trial. Could've gotten a 1:09 lap but I floored the gas and lost control on the last turn. :(

Auctopus

Didn't realise the Jaguar C-X75 is going to be the villain's car in the new Bond film. Nice foresight there, Evo.

2624570300000578-0-image-a-8_1425034507795.jpg

Gold_Loot

Need a little help guys. Maybe this is common knowledge, but My friend just bought a Fanatic G3 v2 knowing that it works native with Project CARS . So, out of excitement I went ahead and bought him the digital version of DC thinking it should work, right? Wrong =( . Is there anything we can do to get this thing working? Any Patch plans? Any way to "rig" it?

Mabufu

Banned
225/225
First tour complete. Never though I would finally do it.

I found the last tour event rather easy. I got the 9 stars at the first try : /

xk is officially my favorite car now...

it's not as quite as fast as i'd like it for my favorite 'racing' time trial maps like the bc maplewood or los pelambras tracks for fast quick laps...

but for my favorite 'driving' maps... namely, cayoosh and lytton... those uphill switchbacks, especially

wow does the xk just power and roar through those

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sooooooooooooooo, as a casual driving games player this game kind of overwhelms, hahaha. Goddamn pretty, though!

Any tips? Oh, is there a GAF club around? Can I join? Does people still actively playing? Is there a GAF-noob-friendly club? Hahaha.

nib95

Banned
Jumping between PCars and Driveclub is a jarring experience lol. You have to be ultra cautious and on constant alert with PCars, almost tip toeing around with certain vehicles (all assists off), whilst Driveclub is just balls to the wall adrenaline and break neck aggression. Still think DC looks much, much better graphically, but both games compliment each other really well. Already some excellent racers on the console.

xrnzaaas

both games compliment each other really well
Yep, this is probably the best summary. :)

I've played Project CARS quite a bit over the last few days and I enjoyed it. The only crappy thing about the game is that the default pad controls are bad (for pro difficulty). I've had to change them three times already until I've found settings I'm comfortable with.

Yep, this is probably the best summary. :)

I've played Project CARS quite a bit over the last few days and I enjoyed it. The only crappy thing about the game is that the default pad controls are bad (for pro difficulty). I've had to change them three times already until I've found settings I'm comfortable with.

How are you guys coping with switching between the two? Do you find you take things too cautiously when returning to DC or too recklessly when in PC? I've nearly pulled the trigger and bought PC a few times but each time I read the OT it puts me off with the controller / framerate / bug issues etc. Sounds like there's a brilliant game in there but maybe after another patch or 2.

nib95

Banned
How are you guys coping with switching between the two? Do you find you take things too cautiously when returning to DC or too recklessly when in PC? I've nearly pulled the trigger and bought PC a few times but each time I read the OT it puts me off with the controller / framerate / bug issues etc. Sounds like there's a brilliant game in there but maybe after another patch or 2.

This one. Driveclub is considerably more liberal it what it allows you to get away with, but in some respects that has it's own level of fun attached to it. I don't find I go in to PCars as recklessly, as you know from pretty much the first corner that you need to re-calibrate your braking. More so it's being overly cautious with Driveclub. Braking way too early, not being as aggressive with the turning and throttle etc.

Regarding PCars, I haven't come across any frame rate issues yet, and maybe only one or two bugs. Controller stuff I've managed to sort now, so I'm ok. I posted them in the OT if you do get the game and want some responsive, forgiving settings out the gate.

lordxar

No problems. In fact, I like that there is a small overlap in cars. The Clio, Zonda, Lykan, Huayra and maybe another couple are common so it at least gives you a kind of familiar base to transition. The breaking is a bitch though. PCars with no assists is no joke. DC does weather much better but PCars has fog.

The tracks in PCars are all/mostly real but holy shit some of the turns are fucking ridiculous. Like 90 right to an immediate 90 left or some 160 degree bullshit. So the tracks in DC are a lot more forgiving.

I took the Zonda for a spin in both and honestly I was able to come back to DC and get a better lap time. Probably more to do with that I was practicing that car on that track than changing games but DC feels a bit lighter and easier on everything.

PCars single player is more for race afficianados. Its way more serious. Could be cool but the real draw is the online. For me DC is all about the tours and challenging each other...and some racing. PCars feels all business about racing leagues and pro type stuff; fun in its own right but not as lighthearted.

So far I love having both...well soon to have both, a friend loaned me his account logon so I'm still actually waiting to buy it tomorrow but whatever.

ElNino

I haven't played PC yet (tomorrow), but even jumping between DC and Forza (5 or Horizon) I usually have an adjustment period for the first race or two. Particularly for braking as DC allow you brake much later.

Top Bottom