• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

NinjaBoiX

I've really tried to get into this game but the handling model is just so sterile and uninvolving. It's that ineffectual middle ground between arcade and sim that kills it for me; it's neither as exciting as the former or as rewarding as the latter. It does look gorgeous though!

Just downloaded NFS Rivals to scratch that arcade itch and I'll probably pick up Project Cars or wait for GT7 for my sim fill.

It's a fine technical achievement to be sure, just not a very fun game IMO.

I've really tried to get into this game but the handling model is just so sterile and uninvolving. It's that ineffectual middle ground between arcade and sim that kills it for me; it's neither as exciting as the former or as rewarding as the latter. It does look gorgeous though!

Just downloaded NFS Rivals to scratch that arcade itch and I'll probably pick up Project Cars or wait for GT7 for my sim fill.

I've found that driving the higher class cars when the game really starts to shine in terms of it's handling model. They're much twitchier, challenging and thus more fun imo.

airjoca

Have you driven the LaFerrari?

NinjaBoiX

I've found that the higher class cars is when the game really starts to shine in terms of it's handling model. They're much twitchier, challenging and thus more fun imo.
Yeah, I guessed it would get more fun with the faster cars, I just don't fancy working my way up to them.
Have you driven the LaFerrari?
I tried the Pagani Zonda, it still didn't really light my world on fire. There is something really, I dunno, restrictive about the handling.

No idea on the class.

The online playlists have a mixture of cars, and these vary day-to-day. So even though it is a 'Hyper' event, not all Hyper cars may be available. Personally I'd rather it was open to all cars, or limited to one car. That said, it can sometimes get you playing in cars you wouldn't otherwise use.

They've had some LaFerrari-only and similar events. Though, in some of those I'm pretty sure there was also a non-DLC car to select for if you didn't have the DLC car.
Thanks! And yeah that should explain.

I'm sorry, but what does that even mean?

Lol yep agreed. Dunno why peeps feel the need to make this sort of post in this thread (where we are fans of the game) instead of posting the the project cars or NFS threads where there's more likely to be guys who feel the same.

Anyone else had issues with the servers tonight? I got booted a few times at the lobby stage (not had that since the bad old days) and had a couple of races where there were only 2 of us that made it in.

leng jai

What a ridiculously ambiguous "complaint". If anything the word sterile would make more sense when describing a simulator.

NinjaBoiX

It's just a bit dull. You either seem pretty much glued to the road or like your car is pivoting around a central axis when your tires lose grip. The physics lack excitement in either direction; it lacks both the poise and finesse of a sim or the balls out, knockabout fun of an arcade racer.

It's a happy medium that doesn't make me very happy.
They probably mean it is quite forgiving, you aren't really having much of an input to keep it going where you want.
Yeah, pretty much this.

It seems like one of those racers where if you're going too fast for a turn, rather than feeling like you're struggling to keep control against inertia and momentum your turning circle just feels artificially limited meaning you can't quite make the turn.

I dunno, it just doesn't feel very rewarding to play.

It's just a bit dull. You either seem pretty much glued to the road or like your car is pivoting around a central axis when your tires lose grip. The physics lack excitement in either direction; it lacks both the poise and finesse of a sim or the balls out, knockabout fun of an arcade racer.

Yeah, pretty much this.

It seems like one of those racers where if you're going too fast for a turn, rather than feeling like you're struggling to keep control against inertia and momentum your turning circle just feels artificially limited meaning you can't quite make the turn.

Having played the game since launch I can say your wrong, but your entitled to your own opinion. Not quite sure why you feel the need to express your views in here unless it's to annoy people as like you say you've made up your mind, buying other games instead and you clearly haven't unlocked the later cars. Your loss anyway.

desu

Not quite sure why you feel the need to express your views in here unless it's to annoy people as like you say you've made up your mind, buying other games instead and you clearly haven't unlocked the later cars.

Don't see why people shouldn't voice their opinion on here, can't really agree but to each their own :).

Damn, let the guy express his opinions. I love DriveClub too but I don't mind reading someone being critical about it or whatever. All I can add to his critique is that to maybe give it time or try out different cars. It really makes a lot of difference which car you get and how comfortable you are with the track (sometimes you need to be careful and sometimes you can rush through corners).

Anyone know if there's a thread for joining clubs? I could've sworn I saw one before, but couldn't find it through search.

Just stick your request and details on here, or even search back a few pages. If you want to form your own then having a second account join it will make it active and start ranking it up.

Nick_C

Just stick your request and details on here, or even search back a few pages. If you want to form your own then having a second account join it will make it active and start ranking it up.

Thanks. I already have a club that's inactive now. I had someone in it but she left for one that was more well off.

I'm NA Northeast if anyone's interested. Just reply or PM if you're looking to join or bolster your own ranks. My club is only level 3 so it's not much of an investment to walk away from.

Duallusion

I've really tried to get into this game but the handling model is just so sterile and uninvolving.

Huh, not even the opposite terms of "sterile" and "uninvolving" can't quite express how much I disagree with this statement. DC's handling, tracks and sense of speed retroactively made a lot - hell, most of other racing games I've played feel a bit duller in comparison, at least by memory. No way would it be my most played game ever if it was "sterile" or "uninvolving" in any sort of objective sense.

It just doesn't grab every fan of racing games, it seems, no matter how surprised I always am to hear it. :)

Thanks. I already have a club that's inactive now. I had someone in it but she left for one that was more well off.

I'm NA Northeast if anyone's interested. Just reply or PM if you're looking to join or bolster your own ranks. My club is only level 3 so it's not much of an investment to walk away from.

If you have a second user account on your PS4 then you can join that to your club and be ranking up whenever you play - leaving your club open will often get randoms join and contribute too.

Huh, not even the opposite terms of "sterile" and "uninvolving" can't quite express how much I disagree with this statement. DC's handling, tracks and sense of speed retroactively made a lot - hell, most of other racing games I've played feel a bit duller in comparison, at least by memory. No way would it be my most played game ever if it was "sterile" or "uninvolving" in any sort of objective sense.

It's the wording that ticked me off too, it just felt more like a trolling attempt than a realistic opinion on the games handling - but yeah I shouldn't be saying what I did so sorry for that.

Pallaris

Help. My turbocharged and evolution livery packs remain locked even though i've downloaded them via the in game menu.

Was there an issue with this in the last update?

lordxar

Help. My turbocharged and evolution livery packs remain locked even though i've downloaded them via the in game menu.

Was there an issue with this in the last update?

You have to beat the last DLC packs completely before moving on.

Or just reset licences ;)

MMaRsu

Yeah, pretty much this.

To each their own but it just sounds like you arent very good at it.

valkyre

Guys do you have a problem launching the game today?

I am from Europe, I have no problems with my internet connection, ps4 seems to be operating perfectly fine (I can launch other games and even play online) and yet Driveclub wont start. Says a message that it cant start because it cannot connect with the server to verify the licence...

Didnt know the game required internet connection to play? Is this just for the PSN version?

Anyway, is anyone else facing the same problem?

lordxar

Mine gets stuck at the Evolution Studios screen. When I close application it tosses an error. PCars starts fine though and both are digital for me. Never had a problem before, even with PSN down. Wonder what's up? Hell I plated last night with no issues.

Edit: PSN looks fucked again...

NinjaBoiX

It's a well crafted game guys and a stunning technical showcase, I just don't dig the handling model. It's not that I can't get my head around a sim/arcade racer, PGR4 is one of my favourite games of all time, I just don't think they particularly nailed it.

And as much as I enjoyed the Motorstorm franchise I always found the handling similarly frustrating. Evo are good tech guys, I just don't think they have a very good grasp on physics and feedback.
To each their own but it just sounds like you arent very good at it.
Possibly.

Doubt it though, racers are one of my most played genres, I'm often at or near the top of leaderboards and stuff.

NFS Hot Pursuit took over my life for a few weeks, I just had to be top on everything! Having a blast with Rivals even though the handling isn't quite as exquisitely weighted.

MMaRsu

You're having a 'blast' with Rivals?

I see. No further discussion needed. That game is shit. Driveclub is a million times a better actual racing game than Rivals. Most Wanted was so much better than Rivals as well its not even funny. ( then again, it was made by Criterion ).

Are you using the handbrake at all to slide into corners? Id like to see you race.

To the poster above me, all regions can play together. Only Mortal Kombat X and a few other dumb games region lock their servers.

le-seb

You're having a 'blast' with Rivals?
Well, there are many people who seem to dislike the way DC implemented car handling.
Not enough arcade-ish for some, not enough sim-ish for others.

It's just a matter of taste, really, and I know I couldn't stand NFS Rivals' handling.
But it's really nothing to get mad about though, so just let it go.

Yeah, pretty much this.

I actually get what you are saying here about the physics. When i was playing pCars the other day i was amazed at the precision on how i could make the car (the Clio in this instance) tuck into a corner by just letting go of the gas a little bit and shift the weight to the front wheels. On the other hand you have something like Ridge Racer where braking doesn't exist and drifting is the way to take corners without loosing any speed. Driveclub does indeed cover middle ground between these extremes.

However, for pure excitement i would still choose DriveClub over other racers as it is more then driving physics alone that contribute to this excitement. Somehow EVO managed to convey a sense of speed, presence and that feeling of being barely in control on those narrow roads that is unmatched by any other racer. It still takes skill for being really fast and the impeccable technical implementation doesn't hurt either.

I also think that the physics model in DC is a perfect choice as it allows for mistakes without punishing you too hard and thus take you out of the race but still has enough depth to be more then a one trick arcade pony. But yeah, if you like extremes in driving physics (sim or arcade) and this is the only aspect that makes you like a racing game i can imagine DC is not for you.

Apeboy

I just want faster wipers, less rainnight and slower cars.

Wiper speed and other over the top blinding effects undermine how great the environmental effects are in DriveClub. Things like sun blindness in tunnel in both the review mirror and in face with a contrived hard turn on exit on so many of the tracks. Not to mention it's an over cast day. Neon rain, etc subtract from the game rather than add.

I wish Evolution would take another pass over stuff like that and the AI. The AI is just so crashy.

NinjaBoiX

I'm just discussing my take on the game, I'm not trying to do it a disservice. I can totally appreciate it as a fine product, it's just not for me.

And as others have said, I'm not dropping a drive by troll post, I actually have this thread subbed because I like watching people's laps and stuff because it's such a pretty game.

Ironically I can't currently launch Rivals, it won't let me connect to the servers.

Fun times.

:|

But yeah, it's not as wonderful to play as Hot Pursuit was, powersliding in that game was a religious experience!

I remember drifting around one particular long sweeping corner only to be faced with a car meeting in the middle of either lane slap bang in the sweet spot of my racing line. I managed to counter steer and straighten my slide up just enough to squeeze between the gap before swinging the back end out again, absolutely glorious.
I'd like to see you race.
Well I haven't posted anything impressive in DC because I didn't play it for long but if you have Hot Pursuit on PS3 you're welcome to check out my times on that. I think most of them are pretty solid.

(My handle is the same, I think we're already PSN buddies if my memory serves.)
I actually get what you are saying here about the physics. When i was playing pCars the other day i was amazed at the precision on how i could make the car (the Clio in this instance) tuck into a corner by just letting go of the gas a little bit and shift the weight to the front wheels. On the other hand you have something like Ridge Racer where braking doesn't exist and drifting is the way to take corners without loosing any speed. Driveclub does indeed cover middle ground between these extremes.

However, for pure excitement i would still choose DriveClub over other racers as it is more then driving physics alone that contribute to this excitement. Somehow EVO managed to convey a sense of speed, presence and that feeling of being barely in control on those narrow roads that is unmatched by any other racer. It still takes skill for being really fast and the impeccable technical implementation doesn't hurt either.

I also think that the physics model in DC is a perfect choice as it allows for mistakes without punishing you too hard and thus take you out of the race but still has enough depth to be more then a one trick arcade pony. But yeah, if you like extremes in driving physics (sim or arcade) and this is the only aspect that makes you like a racing game i can imagine DC is not for you.
Its not even that I prefer extremes one way or the other really, I just subjectively didn't take to the game.

Yeah, I really want to try Project Cars out, Slightly Mad are good devs.

Project CARs is wrecking me, lol.

I don't know if DC ruined me or if PCars is just really hard (I used to be quite good at GT5/GT6 with all assists off), but I can't even make it a lap without spinning out, haha.

Still, game is pretty great.

Project CARs is wrecking me, lol.

I don't know if DC ruined me or if PCars is just really hard (I used to be quite good at GT5/GT6 with all assists off), but I can't even make it a lap without spinning out, haha.

Still, game is pretty great.
Are you using a controller? The game is useless with one, you have to change the settings quite a lot to get it to be what I'd consider usable.

I've no idea how the game reviewed so well. It's no where near as good as they'd have you suggest. Littered with bugs, littered with odd design choices, often at times quirky AI and the UI is awful and offers little new other than the way in which it was made.

The good news is you can hop back to DC from a pCARS session no problem. Going the other way is tougher though.

Are you using a controller? The game is useless with one, you have to change the settings quite a lot to get it to be what I'd consider usable.

I've no idea how the game reviewed so well. It's no where near as good as they'd have you suggest. Littered with bugs, littered with odd design choices, often at times quirky AI and the UI is awful and offers little new other than the way in which it was made.

The good news is you can hop back to DC from a pCARS session no problem. Going the other way is tougher though.

Nah, using a T100 wheel. I haven't played enough to see those issues - just been doing practice runs to try and manage to complete a single lap without running off the track.

Thats disappointing to hear though, hope they can address some of those. I do know DC spoiled me with loading times though... I took them for granted

farmerboy

Lovely assessment of Driveclub and pretty much my thoughts on it as well.

And that's what is stopping me (at the moment) really getting into pCARS. I'm not at the point of calling it fun because I'm still rather shite at it. And it's just too easy to quickly load up a challenge and have a blast on DC

Well, there are many people who seem to dislike the way DC implemented car handling.
Not enough arcade-ish for some, not enough sim-ish for others.

It's just a matter of taste, really, and I know I couldn't stand NFS Rivals' handling.
But it's really nothing to get mad about though, so just let it go.

Yeah I enjoyed Rivals for a time as it was about all the PS4 had to offer, but it's different game and in my view nowhere near as good as DC. That's not to say that people cannot find enjoyment and fun from it.

valkyre

Kinda proud about this... its the 4th time globally (at the time of making it dunno if something changed from yesterday) with LaFerrari, a very popular car, hence a very very strong competition.

This lap time took everything out of me. It was a thrilling experience because I had to overcome myself to achieve this time. I had to be super precise and very focused/disciplined to get there. There is room for improvement (I made a mistake at the final trun which cost me perhaps 2nd place global) but the rest of the lap is pretty much great. One of the best racing experiences I ever had in any racing game out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmLWe73iWxU

xrnzaaas

Nah, using a T100 wheel. I haven't played enough to see those issues - just been doing practice runs to try and manage to complete a single lap without running off the track.

Thats disappointing to hear though, hope they can address some of those. I do know DC spoiled me with loading times though... I took them for granted

It's best to start with the tracks you know from other games or with short ones (like the ones from Britain) so it'll be easier to memorize all the corners and apexes and master them. Also, make sure not to push it on the out lap because of cold tyres and start with the easiest cars like the Clio or Ginetta Junior.

Kinda proud about this... its the 4th time globally (at the time of making it dunno if something changed from yesterday) with LaFerrari, a very popular car, hence a very very strong competition.

This lap time took everything out of me. It was a thrilling experience because I had to overcome myself to achieve this time. I had to be super precise and very focused/disciplined to get there. There is room for improvement (I made a mistake at the final trun which cost me perhaps 2nd place global) but the rest of the lap is pretty much great. One of the best racing experiences I ever had in any racing game out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmLWe73iWxU
That'a very cool. I wish the video however used a car or dashboard camera, as it looks like a slide show right now. It looks cinematic but it's hard to make anything out of this.

valkyre

That'a very cool. I wish the video however used a car or dashboard camera, as it looks like a slide show right now. It looks cinematic but it's hard to make anything out of this.

Hmm it plays smoothly to me and others, but you are right on the camera thing as others wanted to see it. I will upload the replay with the in car dashboard cam later today. ;)

Hmm it plays smoothly to me and others, but you are right on the camera thing as others wanted to see it. I will upload the replay with the in car dashboard cam later today. ;)
Yeah I meant it plays smooth for sure, but it's basically scenery shot after the other. I wish I could learn how you take your corners and such. Didn't mean to be rude about it or anything. 4th is very impressive in a car that I myself spin at every corner.

valkyre

Yeah I meant it plays smooth for sure, but it's basically scenery shot after the other. I wish I could learn how you take your corners and such. Didn't mean to be rude about it or anything. 4th is very impressive in a car that I myself spin at every corner.

No you didnt come off as rude, not at all. Will upload the in car video later today. You are absolutely right that it makes most sense to show how I was driving the car instead of just fly bys and such. Besides other people suggested the same. :)

Top Bottom