• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Just downloaded the new patch.
Holy shit balls.

We're getting the Diablo, Murcielago, Reventon and Sesto Elemento.

Oh and a Citroen, um, Saxo, or something. But never mind that.
Sesto Elemento. Mmmmmmmm.

Just downloaded the new patch.
Holy shit balls.

We're getting the Diablo, Murcielago, Reventon and Sesto Elemento.

Oh and a Citroen, um, Saxo, or something. But never mind that.
Sesto Elemento. Mmmmmmmm.

Me too, I just did a random race to figure out how to turn the HUD off mid-race? I couldn't find the button for it. I mean this point specifically:
» A new option to toggle the entire On-Screen Display on and off while you race, without pausing.

Also, the cars don't come until next week, right?

Driveclub captures the excitement of driving a performance car on the road better than most others imo. Most sims are hell-bent on replicating real-world parameters 1:1 straight into a videogame. Problem is, videogames are not cars, and cars are not videogames. Without the forces and feedback you get from a real car, attempting to be 'realistic' often results in something which is not only harder than the real thing, but feels far less visceral and severely lacking in the sense of speed. Kinda like if you stuck a camera in a real car and drove it remotely with a controller or simulated wheel.

Evo should be applauded for trying to make something that *feels* right, and not necessarily *is* right.

Ebolarama

Banned
Right Rushy.

Can we have the new Ford GT40, Nissan GT-R Nismo, New Honda NSX, Lexus LFA in the next pack?

Then the circle will be complete.

While I would enjoy it, I think the new Ford GT40 is on lock down until Forza Motorsport 6 is out.

Also I like the new choice of Lambos, but I am wrong that the Reventon is just a more awesome Murcíelago? Too bad instead of the bat we didn't get the Egoista or Countach.

Shaneus

updated and 55ed instantlly...
Yup, same. Also noted new brightness setting in display options.

But I couldn't work out how to use the popup HUD, there were no button options there. Little help? Tried it with 0% and 100% HUD, but no way of knowing how to toggle it (and tried swiping the touchpad and clicling it).

Yup, same. Also noted new brightness setting in display options.

But I couldn't work out how to use the popup HUD, there were no button options there. Little help? Tried it with 0% and 100% HUD, but no way of knowing how to toggle it (and tried swiping the touchpad and clicling it).
The brightness has been there a while. Unless you're saying there's new stuff related to it.

Tommi84

The new pictures in the Drive are gorgeous!!! Tour icon is great, Time Trial iconis even better. Its also great they'veupdated the icon for each country (not for each of the tracks yet, but seems a likely next step)

@ shaneus
As far as removing the hud option, use the right arrow on the d-pad :)

Driveclub captures the excitement of driving a performance car on the road better than most others imo. Most sims are hell-bent on replicating real-world parameters 1:1 straight into a videogame. Problem is, videogames are not cars, and cars are not videogames. Without the forces and feedback you get from a real car, attempting to be 'realistic' often results in something which is not only harder than the real thing, but feels far less visceral and severely lacking in the sense of speed. Kinda like if you stuck a camera in a real car and drove it remotely with a controller or simulated wheel.

Evo should be applauded for trying to make something that *feels* right, and not necessarily *is* right.

This. This fella gets it.

I don't mind sims. In fact I quite enjoy them sometimes.
But it does my dinger when snobby sim players pull the old 'sims take more skill' routine. It just takes a slightly different application of skills in a video game that's all. If Driveclub takes less 'skill' than a sim lets see a snobby sim player drop into Driveclub and beat some of kie25's times. Should be easy.

Driving a car in any video game is only like driving a car in real life on a fairly superficial level for all the reasons quoted above.
When I had Forza 4 I also had a Corsa VXR which was in the game. Driving it in real life was nothing like playing with it in a game. How could it be? Similar 0-60 times and top speed but handling? No. How could it be - one is a real life vehicle the other is a game.

One type of game is not objectively better than the other nor does one objective ly require 'more skill' than the other.

While I would enjoy it, I think the new Ford GT40 is on lock down until Forza Motorsport 6 is out.

Also I like the new choice of Lambos, but I am wrong that the Reventon is just a more awesome Murcíelago? Too bad instead of the bat we didn't get the Egoista or Countach.

Boo Ford, boo.

The Reventon kind of is a bit like that. But, mmmmmmm.
Sesto Elemento.

Bruh. This is exactly my sentiments about the whole ordeal and other racing games. Well put.

Put that realtalk in the OP.

This is why I hate using cockpit view unless its a three monitor setup. On single monitor it may look authentic but real world cockpit view is nowhere near as constrictive as that. I hope VR actually brings some realism to cockpit view.

Apeboy

Agreed.

One thing I don't get about the whole debate, especially when it comes to racing games, is most of the criticism comes from from happens when you don't drive well. DriveClub was criticized at release as being too much of a corridor or not open world. I was like wtf, of course it is, you are supposed to keep the car on the road. It's a road racing game, the object is to race on a road, duh. DC is a bit forgiving in things like allowing too much directional control while braking hard but again, if you need to have directional control while braking hard you need to rethink your braking point, not fault the game.

It's odd to me, the "it's not a sim because it's too easy to drive" flag must not drive. Driving a car is easy, the difficulty is knowing when fast is too fast or slow is too slow for any given point on the track. I know that sounds simplistic but in a nutshell that's what it boils down to. Things like overcoming torque steer, futzing with spoilers and cambers are cool and all but really, if you are driving well enough that those things will shave some time off your lap then who the hell cares what happens outside that envelope.

nib95

Banned

Good post.

Siegmeyer

So I just need one more trophy for the Platinum, the one where you have to win 5 challenges sent out to friends, but is it bugged or something? I've sent out and won way more than that to my Club members.

Anyway they've stopped playing a while ago, so would someone here help me cheese it?

From memory I have DHC, viveks and shaneus already in my friends list, and they still seem active in this thread.

Also, does any old challenge work? As in I can just send out 5 short drift challenges and you do deliberately badly?

Thanks in advance.

So I just need one more trophy for the Platinum, the one where you have to win 5 challenges sent out to friends, but is it bugged or something? I've sent out and won way more than that to my Club members.

Anyway they've stopped playing a while ago, so would someone here help me cheese it?

From memory I have DHC, viveks and shaneus already in my friends list, and they still seem active in this thread.

Also, does any old challenge work? As in I can just send out 5 short drift challenges and you do deliberately badly?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah send them to me dude, you'll beat me on drifting easily anyway :) I should be able to get on tonight so set them for a few hours

can someone help me out, I keep getting can't download update message, asking me to delete content of system storage. I ended up deleting a couple of games and I have around 80gb left and it's still throwing me the same error. What am I supposed to do?

Thanks in advance.

Send a few to me and I will help you out. I have the same issue with this trophy too

This. This fella gets it.

I don't mind sims. In fact I quite enjoy them sometimes.
But it does my dinger when snobby sim players pull the old 'sims take more skill' routine. It just takes a slightly different application of skills in a video game that's all. If Driveclub takes less 'skill' than a sim lets see a snobby sim player drop into Driveclub and beat some of kie25's times. Should be easy.

Driving a car in any video game is only like driving a car in real life on a fairly superficial level for all the reasons quoted above.
When I had Forza 4 I also had a Corsa VXR which was in the game. Driving it in real life was nothing like playing with it in a game. How could it be? Similar 0-60 times and top speed but handling? No. How could it be - one is a real life vehicle the other is a game.

One type of game is not objectively better than the other nor does one objective ly require 'more skill' than the other.
I'm sure they'll just say the handling sucks.

MMaRsu

I'm just discussing my take on the game, I'm not trying to do it a disservice. I can totally appreciate it as a fine product, it's just not for me.

And as others have said, I'm not dropping a drive by troll post, I actually have this thread subbed because I like watching people's laps and stuff because it's such a pretty game.

Ironically I can't currently launch Rivals, it won't let me connect to the servers.

Fun times.

:|

But yeah, it's not as wonderful to play as Hot Pursuit was, powersliding in that game was a religious experience!

I remember drifting around one particular long sweeping corner only to be faced with a car meeting in the middle of either lane slap bang in the sweet spot of my racing line. I managed to counter steer and straighten my slide up just enough to squeeze between the gap before swinging the back end out again, absolutely glorious.

Well I haven't posted anything impressive in DC because I didn't play it for long but if you have Hot Pursuit on PS3 you're welcome to check out my times on that. I think most of them are pretty solid.

(My handle is the same, I think we're already PSN buddies if my memory serves.)

Its not even that I prefer extremes one way or the other really, I just subjectively didn't take to the game.

Yeah, I really want to try Project Cars out, Slightly Mad are good devs.

Hot Pursuit is an amazing game. If I had a last gen system I'd love to play it with you. But in all honesty that game is much better than Rivals.

Either way enough about NFS this is a Driveclub topic :).

I think you need to put a little more time into it to race with some of the higher tier cars in Driveclub and see if you can find one which you like. All cars handle quite differently in this game.

Very interested in the new cars soon as well :D. More LAMBOs SWOON

I've not done one for a while so decided to do another of those comparison challenges where we take several of the best cars from a class and see which is best around a particular circuit - I didn't get chance to do all the runs so I'll send the challenges out tomorrow (send me a friend request if you want to receive the challenges and aren't on my list, my PSN is the same as my GAF name).

Here's my Hurucan run anyway :)

http://youtu.be/KgltC7TZ5IA

dr guildo

post-23470-Jeremiah-Johnson-nod-cropped-g-jtcK.gif

farmerboy

Its already been quoted but it deserves another. The sum of its parts just add up to something really fun and satisfying.

Also, Evo needs to be congratulated on creating the best tracks in a racing game BAR NONE. They are thrilling to drive, make excellent use of elevation and undulations, and are diverse as well.

Damn that's so true.

Kudos to you !

I'd like to join the party and completely agree with this too:)

Yeah I'm in for this party too, well said Weevil :) DC was my first platinum, my first season pass and the first game that's captured my attention so completely for so long - as a result I tend to be a bit overprotective of it, especially when I completely disagree with what's being said.

As promised, in car footage of my time trial 4th global place in Chile with LaFerrari. (at the time of making, dont know if something in the standings has changed since then).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtsHURMAeAQ

Very nicely done bud :) You get a much better appreciation of how well you drove from that viewpoint. Hats off to you guys who can do those hot lap runs on p2p tracks, I just stick to circuits, far less stress!

valkyre

Very nicely done bud :) You get a much better appreciation of how well you drove from that viewpoint. Hats off to you guys who can do those hot lap runs on p2p tracks, I just stick to circuits, far less stress!

Thanks man! :)

Love time trial because it really takes everything out of you and your opponent is your good self.

I had to press myself to the absolute limit to achieve this time, it took 3 days and was during a challenge with some other great folk, who pushed me this far.

There's been a bug that's been in for a while where if you go into a race with the hud off, and then turn it on, all the challenge noises disappear (the ticking while drifting etc.). This now happens when you show them with right on the d-pad.

Anyone else lose accolade points/levels with the latest update?

All my drifting levels were wiped. I was nearly fully leveled up before.

Just did a few drift events and suddenly I see I've leveled up to level fucking 2!

Gacha-pin

To lvl50 and above players or simply just lvl55 players, XPs are losable when you do bad drivings like hitting guardrails, other players etc. In this situation, retaining the higher level is some kind of a status and the players are given a motivation for racing clean. Is this a good idea?

skynidas

Banned
To lvl50 and above players or simply just lvl55 players, XPs are losable when you do bad drivings like hitting guardrails, other players etc. In this situation, retaining the higher level is some kind of a status and the players are given a motivation for racing clean. Is this a good idea?

you would have to lose a shit ton of XP for it to affect your level when you are in the 50s

Thanks man! :)

Love time trial because it really takes everything out of you and your opponent is your good self.

I had to press myself to the absolute limit to achieve this time, it took 3 days and was during a challenge with some other great folk, who pushed me this far.

Yep, time trials improve your track ability no end, I'm much more competitive racing on the tracks where I've had good time trial events on. Following Kie's ghost taught me some lines I'd never thought of using on Glenmorgan.

You lose XP at any level for hitting stuff, corner penalties etc - it's never enough to make you lose XP at the end of the race tho, you just gain less. The XP required for level 55 appears to be around 20 million (50 was 15 mil IIRC) but many of us are way past that now so it's going to be a while before ranks actually mean anything if they're purely XP based - the next update lot will probably be based on something else.

Duallusion

Yeah I'm in for this party too, well said Weevil :) DC was my first platinum, my first season pass and the first game that's captured my attention so completely for so long - as a result I tend to be a bit overprotective of it, especially when I completely disagree with what's being said.

Yeah, for me too, so I can totally relate.

On another note: it's probably been said already and not just once but I really wish Evo implemented a way to stack events together into bigger challenges with defined number of tries and cumulated points/times - not unlike those competitions you were organizing a while back, Shannow, before we lost you to the baby for a bit;) We'd get to choose the number and type of events, number of possible retries (or just have it set to 1 try by default) and a car class, while everything else would be random (so the poster of the challenge couldn't practice) and voila; another way to never get bored of this game.

Yeah, for me too, so I can totally relate.

On another note: it's probably been said already and not just once but I really wish Evo implemented a way to stack events together into bigger challenges with defined number of tries and cumulated points/times - not unlike those competitions you were organizing a while back, Shannow, before we lost you to the baby for a bit;) We'd get to choose the number and type of events, number of possible retries (or just have it set to 1 try by default) and a car class, while everything else would be random (so the poster of the challenge couldn't practice) and voila; another way to never get bored of this game.

Yeah that'd be fantastic, I like really the random event generator idea :) They did mention planned revisions to the challenges in the next update so you never know!

I have been thinking of running another rally actually but this time relaxing the rules that made it so awkward to run - so 7 challenges that run for a week, make as many attempts as you like and the lowest overall time at the end of the week is the winner. Prolly poor timing with the witcher landing today but anyone up for this?

Duallusion

I have been thinking of running another rally actually but this time relaxing the rules that made it so awkward to run - so 7 challenges that run for a week, make as many attempts as you like and the lowest overall time at the end of the week is the winner. Prolly poor timing with the witcher landing today but anyone up for this?

I'm certainly willing to embarrass myself so yeah, you can count me in. :)

lordxar

Yeah that'd be fantastic, I like really the random event generator idea :) They did mention planned revisions to the challenges in the next update so you never know!

I'm down. Miss the old rallies.

Can I join too? I'm not good at this game but I play it almost every day.

You mean Black Secret 007? Raced these two in one MP endurance race and one of them started ridicoulus ramming after a few rounds. Since i couldn't saw any other way i just rammed back and won at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60AIXRa63yk

Always bugs me when fairly good drivers use such methods.

On another note,i definitely get more ghosting now in MP races, yesterday and today again. Either the full or half grid is ghosting for me. Never had this problem so much before.

I just did a google search for these two Black_Secret_007 assholes and found their mention here after a couple of awfully annoying races with them. Mother of god, I don't think I've ever encounter shitheads this bad in a racing game before. Just ramming and dirty tactics constantly throughout the race.
Ha! Just encountered these two idiots.

What in the name of God. Such deplorable racing. Ramming people at the first opportunity. Glitching round the track with a bad connection but somehow suddenly become a solid object again when they want to ram you.

I thought they were identical names at first and the game had glitched and was showing the wrong name for another driver but thought it was odd how both had different cars but the same club livery.

The thing is once the two of them had rammed everyone out of contention, they were not easy to catch, so it's not like they're terrible drivers that need to ram people in order to get a decent placement.

Top Bottom