• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

7cc58a977a4e7f20b51495b91124ec02dcbfdfba72d9fe41fef1b2d5c338a695.jpg
Well played

Leunam

I had such a good battle for first last night at the Chilean observatory level. Me and another guy, both in Paganis. I came second but it was really intense and I was able to pressure him into making mistakes. I could have had him had I not made a major mistake of my own.

Konosuke

I had such a good battle for first last night at the Chilean observatory level. Me and another guy, both in Paganis. I came second but it was really intense and I was able to pressure him into making mistakes. I could have had him had I not made a major mistake of my own.

That track is so good! Especially online because if you get past the mayhem and are quick enough you might lap 1 or 2 guys. That makes me so giddy.

Leunam

That track is so good! Especially online because if you get past the mayhem and are quick enough you might lap 1 or 2 guys. That makes me so giddy.

If there's one track that really rewards good throttle control and good exits from corners it's that one. No runoff area anywhere to save your momentum in a corner.

Dawg

Some of these collision penalties in the Hyper part of Tour Mode are quite simply... bullshit.

I just barely touched another car at 80km/h and they penalized my speed for several seconds. Felt like it took forever. And then, when the penalty was finally over... I touched another car because I was so slow that everyone passed me by and I got another collision penalty. The race was basically over for me at that point. Throttling your speed at like 80km/h while these cars reach 200km/h in no time is a huge time loss.

Naw, the penalty system might have been a good concept... but its execution is deeply flawed and I cannot believe some people are actually defending it.

I seriously love the handling and feel of this game, but the moment penalties come into play, I realize yet again how much they hurt this game and my experience with it.

Cock of War

If anyone is up for a slower paced challenge I just made it to the top with an Audi A1 Quattro on Mapleport Canada 01

B0RmhHAIIAEhuoH.jpg:large

Your also welcome to add me: PSN LastNinja

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Some of these collision penalties in the Hyper part of Tour Mode are quite simply... bullshit.

I just barely touched another car at 80km/h and they penalized my speed for several seconds. Felt like it took forever. And then, when the penalty was finally over... I touched another car because I was so slow that everyone passed me by and I got another collision penalty. The race was basically over for me at that point. Throttling your speed at like 80km/h while these cars reach 200km/h in no time is a huge time loss.

Naw, the penalty system might have been a good concept... but its execution is deeply flawed and I cannot believe some people are actually defending it.

I seriously love the handling and feel of this game, but the moment penalties come into play, I realize yet again how much they hurt this game and my experience with it.

That's how racing works.

Part of the skill of overtaking and maneuvering is knowing how to use the car's power in skillful manner.

After all, a race is about coming in first, not about making good time. You won't have that issue in time trials.

I never once felt cheated out of the set-time race objectives/stars during a multi-vehicle race, personally.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I just don't get the uproar about it. Everyone is playing within the game's parameters, that includes driving mindfully avoiding penalties. If the game doesn't want you getting more than 2 wheels off the designated track at certain turns then brake and corner properly. Simple.

Even so, the game is super permissive with letting you throw your car around recklessly to the point of wall riding.

Mullah88

If anyone is up for a slower paced challenge I just made it to the top with an Audi A1 Quattro on Mapleport Canada 01

B0RmhHAIIAEhuoH.jpg:large

Your also welcome to add me: PSN LastNinja

Uh huh so you're lastninja, played a couple of online races with you...man is it frustrating! Even coming first, I'm still mad at the amount of unwarranted ramming and tail spins that goes on

Dawg

That's how racing works.

Part of the skill of overtaking and maneuvering is knowing how to use the car's power in skillful manner.

After all, a race is about coming in first, not about making good time. You won't have that issue in time trials.

I never once felt cheated out of the set-time race objectives/stars during a multi-vehicle race, personally.

My problem is, most of my collisions don't happen because of me. They happen because the AI pushes me into another driver causing a collision penalty. I never get penalties when I'm 1st place.

And when it is my fault, the penalty feels unfair because I barely touched the other car. I understand the developers want to avoid a total ramfest or whatever, but I've experienced too many collision penalties where I didn't even realize I touched the other car. It was that subtle.

Dawg

Are so many people bad at drifting?

When I get all three stars in an event, I'm always in the top 200 or something. That means a lot of people can't seem to get the final star. It's obvious to me because even when I get all three stars in a race (including a "beat this time") I can still be in the 2000s or whatever.

BiGBoSSMk23

My problem is, most of my collisions don't happen because of me. They happen because the AI pushes me into another driver causing a collision penalty. I never get penalties when I'm 1st place.

And when it is my fault, the penalty feels unfair because I barely touched the other car. I understand the developers want to avoid a total ramfest or whatever, but I've experienced too many collision penalties where I didn't even realize I touched the other car. It was that subtle.

That's weird that your experience differs so much from mine.

Do you notice that the penalty will last longer depending on the severity of the crash or how deep you cut into a corner?

I think they work well as "training wheels". One idea would be to have the option to disable them for separately ranked events, where the rammers/newbies can stay out while the experienced guys can race without penalties. ???

I don't know if that solves the issue theoretically. Without damage modeling there's no other deterrent for exploits.

Cock of War

Uh huh so you're lastninja, played a couple of online races with you...man is it frustrating! Even coming first, I'm still mad at the amount of unwarranted ramming and tail spins that goes on

Yeah it can be very frustrating but sometimes you get lucky and race against well behaved drivers. Other times it's ram city.

Konosuke

This was one of a kind:

mTZ6Cpq.jpg

Also, new GAF CHALLENGE:

Alright GAF time for Challenge #6! Another time trial but this time a point to point race.

Track: The Kyle (1st one)

Time of Day: 11:00

Weather: Clear

Time Lapse: x15

Crowd Size: Med

Car: Mercedes AMG GT S (you need to download it off PSN, it's a free car)

Placeholder time to beat:

Good luck and have fun!!

Dawg

The BAC Mono is probably one of my favourite cars when it comes to handling. In combination with its high acceleration, I was able to get The Professional trophy in one go. The competition had cars with better top speed which was obvious the moment I drove on a straight path but luckily I managed to surpass them in the corners thanks to the great handling.

Definitely one of my favourite cars.

I just barely touched another car at 80km/h and they penalized my speed for several seconds. Felt like it took forever.
If we're talking about the AI drivers we have very different defintions of the term "barely touched".

I tap other AI cars when racing all the time and almost never get even a score penalty. If its a solid shunt, something that'll leave a decent mark - then I get docked points - but to actually get an acceleration penalty? Those require solid, damaging hits at speed, not love taps. Those are the hits that plow cars off the track and into walls.

If you're talking about other players online I'd assume lag was involved.

Cool. Now we need to start working on those tryouts. I REALLY suck at them. The best time so far is 9 seconds faster than mine! 9 SECONDS! X(
I'll give it a shot. I saw that Nafai had some good times last time I checked. Do we just take the best time from the club and submit that one?

farmerboy

Bucks party with a 5am finish and 3 hrs sleep = less fucking idea on how to play this game then before. Oh well, back to sleep for me and I'll try again tomorrow ;)

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I've been farming fame for 5 hours. Found a race that grants 11-25k fame per race(1min). You can gain experience for ~8 accolades. Quote if you need details.

Putty

Are the leaderboards still hit and miss?

The game needs to register you're tour event times locally at the very least. You just have no idea what time your best time is that you need to be beat. Load/save ghosts on TT and Drift events. Little things like this make it frustrating with the leaderboards being so unstable. For me anyway.

Hoje0308

Banned
The MP in this game is terrible. Don't know how many times I've been punted off the track while in the lead by some asshole that can't drive. It feels like DC has attracted the worst drivers around and all they want to do is spin off the people that actually have some skill. If there isn't a patch at some point to disable collision detection I can't see myself playing anything other than club races. Not entirely Evo's fault, but the way cars are able to maintain speed while ramming cars and guardrails is a balance issue they should have noticed. Too many people are able to drive like idiots and still keep up with the pack.

Sintoid

My first online race
Three assholes after the start bumped me ad 11th position. End of any try of competition. I hope that all the baby racers will get bored soon and leave the game to the ones who love driving

Nyx

Are the leaderboards still hit and miss?

The game needs to register you're tour event times locally at the very least. You just have no idea what time your best time is that you need to be beat. Load/save ghosts on TT and Drift events. Little things like this make it frustrating with the leaderboards being so unstable. For me anyway.

Yep.

Still can't find a single time of myself or my clubmember on any leaderboard. Only the famescore leaderboard seems to work.

Mullah88

The MP in this game is terrible. Don't know how many times I've been punted off the track while in the lead by some asshole that can't drive. It feels like DC has attracted the worst drivers around and all they want to do is spin off the people that actually have some skill. If there isn't a patch at some point to disable collision detection I can't see myself playing anything other than club races. Not entirely Evo's fault, but the way cars are able to maintain speed while ramming cars and guardrails is a balance issue they should have noticed. Too many people are able to drive like idiots and still keep up with the pack.
Yup front end collision should be harsher online. I said front end because we also get penalized when someone rams you from the back! Which is ridiculous, it should detect where you're being hit from and penalized based on that

DrM

Redmond's Baby
My first online race
Three assholes after the start bumped me ad 11th position. End of any try of competition. I hope that all the baby racers will get bored soon and leave the game to the ones who love driving

I met a complete whiner yesterday. He rammed into me in the second corner, used my car as braking zone. I caught him soon (probably drove with automatic), went ahead of his car and slammed brakes for a split second. He spun and torrent of tasty words erupted from TV speakers. He ranted well after the race when somebody told him to shut the f... up...

Top Bottom