• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I'm guessing you don't use cockpit mode? (I'm guessing no one at Evo does either).

The loss in traction is a-ok with me. Barreling along at 150mph waiting what feels like seconds for intermittent wipers to clear my completely obstructed screen moments before slamming into a wall, is not ok. It's so not ok I don't even want to finish the new tour (I have all stars so far, all in cockpit).

Each drop of rain on my screen is met with a salty tear on my controller.
I use chase and the 2nd cockpit camera just behind the steering wheel, and I have no issue with that view, which is arguably worse because you're zoomed in on the drops.

But ultimately even if I was to side with your point of view that is all irrelevant anyway.

What you are saying isn't that weather is over-used at all. What you are saying is the wipers aren't good enough.

desu

That's what I've been doing. Its glitched or something.

Weird, that's how I did it months ago (not sure if they did change anything with the patches in the last months). Were you in the menu when the timer ended (it's supposed to work even when you're not logged in)?

Weird, that's how I did it months ago (not sure if they did change anything with the patches in the last months). Were you in the menu when the timer ended (it's supposed to work even when you're not logged in)?
Yes, I watched as all the timers ticked down to zero. And I've read other people are having the same issues. The bug is back. I did 16 challenges to no avail.

I'm guessing you don't use cockpit mode? (I'm guessing no one at Evo does either).

The loss in traction is a-ok with me. Barreling along at 150mph waiting what feels like seconds for intermittent wipers to clear my completely obstructed screen moments before slamming into a wall, is not ok. It's so not ok I don't even want to finish the new tour (I have all stars so far, all in cockpit).

Adjustble speed wipers and being able to turn on/off the wipers would be a little detail that would go a long way. Most of the game I have no problem with the wiper speed or headlights but heavy precipitation in a hyper the wipers need to be going at full speed. On some tracks like Canada where you get heavy shade and bright sun in quick succession being able to flip on the lights for moment would be great, I would also probably turn them on about twilight and keep them on for early dawn as well. Map wipers to the up & down on the D-pad and lights to left on the pad and that would be perfect. Also make it an option for automatic but controllable like the gears are and an option to be fully manual.

OK it looks like our next rally is in Scotland.

I'd like some volunteers to design the challenges for this event please so if you want to do one post on here or psn message me which track you want to use - that way we won't get 6 kyle challenges! First to post gets the track.

Once you've decided what your challenge is you need to let me know car / precipitation / time / weather / settings. We can't run this till the server upgrade so you've got a few days to create something :)

T_Exige

Is it just me or did the last events get a spike in difficulty (some even cheap?)
Like: night + rain + bad handling car -> now set a record time or clean lap
I got the stars, but some are just not fun at all, while other events are great fun.

desu

Is it just me or did the last events get a spike in difficulty (some even cheap?)
I got the stars, but some are just not fun at all, while other events are great fun.

Felt the same, harder that some of the previous events.

Minamu

I recently got into this game for real, but I can't find a proper gaf club? Is there such a thing? I did a gaf search but I only found a bunch of small ones. I'm around lvl 30 if that's relevant for participation :)

Also, the difficulty is pretty crazy, at least in faster cars, I can't keep up with any sort of quality driving :lol Do I need to use these DRS & KERS systems I know nothing about?

xrnzaaas

LTG6VO0.jpg

My hands are still shaking. :D I discovered that the only way to go (at least for me) with the Atom is to drop the speed to a minimum before the first corner and the chicane in the middle of the track. The rest wasn't that hard and it certainly helped that the TT was on my favorite track (I prefer the other version, though, not the reversed one).

Edit: OK, now I've seen the times posted by some of you guys and it was a nice downer. ;p

I've not done the Lambo tour yet but I really enjoyed the Torque one, pick your poison and the Atom events especially - which ones didn't you like?

LTG6VO0.jpg

My hands are still shaking. :D I discovered that the only way to go (at least for me) with the Atom is to drop the speed to a minimum before the first corner and the chicane in the middle of the track. The rest wasn't that hard and it certainly helped that the TT was on my favorite track (I prefer the other version, though, not the reversed one).

Edit: OK, now I've seen the times posted by some of you guys and it was a nice downer. ;p

Still a good time bud :) Having lots of friends with the game is brilliant on events like this as it's like a series of boss battles, taking the guy on and then moving onto the next :)

I recently got into this game for real, but I can't find a proper gaf club? Is there such a thing? I did a gaf search but I only found a bunch of small ones. I'm around lvl 30 if that's relevant for participation :)

Also, the difficulty is pretty crazy, at least in faster cars, I can't keep up with any sort of quality driving :lol Do I need to use these DRS & KERS systems I know nothing about?

There's only a couple of cars that use KERS (McLaren P1 and the Jaguar prototype) and DRS is just the P1, so not something you really need to worry about. Each club can only have 6 members hence lots of little clubs. The faster cars are all about good throttle control on corner exit as that's where most peeps struggle imo.

T_Exige

Continental Breakfast: Clean lap - got me annoyed because the AI.
And in general the same sort of events that make it hard by luck, not driving skill.

Wow you are like 20 sec faster in Choose your poison :)

Just playing through the latest tours and my enjoyment for this game has dropped off a cliff. There's no variation or nuance to the tours any more. Hyper cars aren't used sparingly as a shock to the system, they're just the default. I enjoyed DC because it gave me that fizz I get from man-handling a real performance car on the road, with all its suspension movement, quirks and limited performance. I don't know what a P1 is like to drive, I've never driven one, I have no frame of reference. Driving a hyper car in a videogame feels like a videogame, I may as well be playing Wipeout. The only time I'm challenged is through poor visibility in cockpit view. Rain and darkness are hamfistedly forced into almost every event as if the developers don't think the game is interesting anymore unless you're doing 200mph and unable to see (maybe it isn't in chase cam?). These events should be used sparingly like boss fights, shake things up, fatigue the player a little. So disappointed in the direction this game has taken.

seinfeld-gif.gif

DJ Gunner

Just playing through the latest tours and my enjoyment for this game has dropped off a cliff. There's no variation or nuance to the tours any more. Hyper cars aren't used sparingly as a shock to the system, they're just the default. I enjoyed DC because it gave me that fizz I get from man-handling a real performance car on the road, with all its suspension movement, quirks and limited performance. I don't know what a P1 is like to drive, I've never driven one, I have no frame of reference. Driving a hyper car in a videogame feels like a videogame, I may as well be playing Wipeout. The only time I'm challenged is through poor visibility in cockpit view. Rain and darkness are hamfistedly forced into almost every event as if the developers don't think the game is interesting anymore unless you're doing 200mph and unable to see (maybe it isn't in chase cam?). These events should be used sparingly like boss fights, shake things up, fatigue the player a little. So disappointed in the direction this game has taken.

seinfeld-gif.gif

I'll agree partly- I'm to the point where I roll my eyes every time I'm a quarter through a beautiful sunny race and rain drops start showing up on the screen (which is just far too damn often). I get that weather is a showcase- but I've not played another racing game ever that makes you race in the rain half as much as this game does. It's not that I can't handle it- I'm 855/855 with a platinum- I just feel the racing is so much more fun dry.

Admittedly I'm not using the in-car cam (I use bumper cam for even less visibility up close to other cars!) but the choose your poison challenge I mentioned earlier has both hyper cars and weather and I thought it was brilliant - you have to adjust to the conditions that get worse and then improve over an 8 lap race. I just loved it which just goes to show you cant please everyone. Imo the same race in slower cars and in bright sunshine would be far less interesting & fun.

Anybody know what's up with the Contender and Unbeatable trophies? Won plenty of my challenges (sent to minimum of 1 person of course, with the higher score on my side). Neither of them will pop so far though. Any trick to this?

Tried DC at a Gamestop, and it didn't look particularly remarkable in nighttime/normal weather. Forza was playing right beside it, I asked a casual friend which looked better, and he said Forza. Maybe because DC was in night time, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Got a chance to play at home on my PS4, and good god, I played with rain and I was absolutely floored. There's just something so astonishing about the wetness of everything. I've never felt this way about gameplay graphics in a long time. Everything is so lush, rich, alive in the rain. I pray this engine is used in other games.

I've only seen gifs and videos before this, but it does the game no justice.

Sunny weather, the way the sun reflects off things is also quite remarkable.

If Evolution had put in rain from the start, I really think it would have blown a lot of onlookers away, at various PS4 kiosks/booths across retailers worldwide. Imagine walking into a Gamestop and seeing the rain.

It feels like such craftsmanship.

I'm hopeful Evo can make a sequel and just expand the hell out of everything. And I hate to bring up old arguments from launch, but I would be so happy for an open world spinoff. I just want to drive aimlessly in the rain and just zone out.

Damn, with Morpheus on the rise, this game may just get a second chance to show off that rain. I just love rain in games. So many of them just show little white lines across the screen, and some of them look artistically nice enough to appreciate (RDR). But this is what I've always wanted to see. I just want to reach out and touch.

Minamu

There's only a couple of cars that use KERS (McLaren P1 and the Jaguar prototype) and DRS is just the P1, so not something you really need to worry about. Each club can only have 6 members hence lots of little clubs. The faster cars are all about good throttle control on corner exit as that's where most peeps struggle imo.
Alright thanks, that's very helpful!

That's what I've been doing. Its glitched or something.

I think you have to wait until the challenge expires. I'm trying to do it myself. Sent challenges to people and beat the times they sent back. Nothing.

Gonna wait until tomorrow when they expire to see what happens. It's also my last trophy before platinum. :D

Shaneus

Did 1.16 just come through now? I left my PS4 on in the background at the main menu while I played some pinball and when I pressed the PS controller button, it popped up with a DC update.

Edit: Weird:
mpoHxswl.jpg

"Driveclub server sync"?

Edit: Wow, the challenges screen is super quick to navigate! Easier, too.

Tommi84

"Driveclub server sync"?
In the old days when the game was in far worse state, it was sometimes that you were earning the points, but they were either not added to the whole amount or you would loose some of those at a certain stage. When they would fix it, you would get the points as a server sync.

Edit: Wow, the challenges screen is super quick to navigate! Easier, too.
Glad to hear :). I'll check it in the night

desu

I guess the next patch will unlock the new accolades (saw this on their Facebook in the comments):

Driveclub: The Accolades will be enabled in a separate update (1.17).

Was known that it will come, just not when.

Duallusion

I like how snapy the upgraded challenges are but ... if you're not in the top 50, you're not listed at the bottom of that "quick" leaderboard in the pause menu (with top 10 scorers + yourself, whichever position you are) like before? You have to check your current position by going into the leaderboards and then back out and then restart/continue? Really? Am I seeing this right?

EDIT: Hell, if you're not in the top 50, you don't even know if you posted a score/time on a particular challenge in the community challenges menu.

Maybe this is just temporary. :)

Auctopus

One thing about challenges is that sort of stops me coming back to the game is that it feels like every other Evo challenegs is Tamil Nadu again. Some tracks have never been used, ever.

Rushy

I like how snapy the upgraded challenges are but ... if you're not in the top 50, you're not listed at the bottom of that "quick" leaderboard in the pause menu (with top 10 scorers + yourself, whichever position you are) like before? You have to check your current position by going into the leaderboards and then back out and then restart/continue? Really? Am I seeing this right?

EDIT: Hell, if you're not in the top 50, you don't even know if you posted a score/time on a particular challenge in the community challenges menu.

Maybe this is just temporary. :)
This has already been addressed and will feature in a game update later this month :)

Rushy

One thing about challenges is that sort of stops me coming back to the game is that it feels like every other Evo challenegs is Tamil Nadu again. Some tracks have never been used, ever.

This is the list of tracks we've used for Evo Challenges (in date order):

Bandipur
Sinclair Pass Reverse
Atlanterhavsvegen
Los Pelambres
Sentraltind
Yedapalli Reverse
Olivers Landing
Loch Duich Reverse
Skjolden
Putre
Nilghiri Hills Reverse
Cayoosh Point
SKN0 v3
Takahagi Hills Reverse
Lake Shoji
Nakasendo
AHR 3
Goshadaira
Taapaca
The Kyle
The Kyle
The Kyle Reverse
Glen Morgan
Glen Morgan
Glen Morgan Reverse
Maplewood 2
Maplewood 2
Maplewood 2
Kobago
Kobago
Kobago Reverse
Chungara Lake
Chungara Lake Reverse
Chungara Lake Reverse
SKN0 v2
SKN0 v2
SKN0 v2
Kinloch Reverse
Kinloch
Kinloch
Bandipur Reverse
Bandipur Reverse
Bandipur
Lytton
Cayoosh Reverse
Lytton Reverse
Lake Shoji Reverse
Lake Shoji
Lake Shoji Reverse
Autodromo Frontera v3
Autodromo Frontera v3
Autodromo Frontera v3
Loch Duich
Chungara Lake
SKN03
Kobago Reverse
Goshadira
Kobago
Tamul Nadu v1
Autodromo Frontera v3
Fraser Valley Reverse
Olivers Landing Reverse
Nakasendo Reverse
Putre Reverse
Sentraltind Reverse
Takahagi Hills Reverse
Trotternish Reverse
Skjolden
Kobago Reverse
Yedapalli
Sinclair Pass
Taapaca Reverse
Black Hills v3
Fraser Valley
Hurrungane Reverse
Autodromo Frontera v2

What track would you like to see next used?

Auctopus

This is the list of tracks we've used for Evo Challenges (in date order):

What track would you like to see next used?

Well, you showed me. Not sure why it feels that way then. I am speaking specifically about time trials. Maybe some more P2P Time trials?

Xeilyn

Bought the season pass, dont know if ill ever play the game again, bunch of other stuff to do but i still wanted to show my support

Sirenty

This has already been addressed and will feature in a game update later this month :)

Something else that seems questionable to me is that Fame or whatever is listed above the time/score for the first place position. It's confusing when I look at the top spot and then slide over to see what the time is and am confronted with a number instead. I think time/score is much more important and should get top billing, as well as be a bigger font size than the score.

Plus I've been playing for months and I still don't know how that number is calculated or why I should care about it when doing challenges.

Anyone tried the new Evolution challenges? I'm 2 seconds off the first one on Maplewood Canada. I have no idea where the guy at No.1 is getting those extra 2 seconds from. I must've tried it 50 times now.

Top Bottom