• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

farmerboy

PS4 gets a stay of execution, Sony still hasn't emailed me the postage label to send it in for warranty repairs. Looks like tonight I might give this rally a try.

Nice stack bananafactory, you make us bottom folk proud. :)

DrKelpo

Banned
same for me... i had 7,6 gb of free space and i got the notification there was not enough room...thought it was some kind of bug at first.

/edit

it says version 01.17

was kinda weird... the download didnt start while in rest mode, because there was to little space left. i deleted some things and after "preparing for download" the download was almost finished already.... whatever.

farmerboy

Definite bug, I havent downloaded 1.16 yet, so now its trying to download the whole lot, the whole 10gb. Gonna cancel it, no way im downloading 10 gig, then probably get my postage label email tomorrow, send in ps4 for repairs, then download the whole lot again when I get it back.

Tried redoing the update and after "preparing to download", bang, goes to download 10 gig instead of the last portion. Tried 5 times.

So no rally for me, aarrgghh.

Shaneus

Update is preparing to download, it's at 96% now. I'll update this post once it starts so I can see how much it's downloading.

Edit: Huh. Mine only downloaded maybe 40MB. It's now "ready to install".

Dat Rimac-Trotternish combo tho...

jk good job putting up these challenges Shannow ;)

Ha, that'd be Mr MangoChutney's challenge - I told him there'd be some comments! ;-) Did you get all the challenges bud? I thought you'd have a time for both Kyle run's straight away

DrKelpo

Banned
Come on, the Rimac challenge could have been much worse - pitch black, heavy rain! Though the rain might actually help you turn the thing!

It's beyond me, how I ended up on the 10th place so far... I was just smashing from one Side to the other. Drives like a cinderblock.

Shaneus

God, that first Lykan P2P when the sun gets right in your eyes about half way... gets me every time, always take that corner too early and barrel roll :/

Love it!
Spotted any difference yet?
Post-patch? Nup. Menus seemed a little slower to load things, but that might not have anything to do with it.

Ok, can anyone help me with drifting? Especially the Jagged Edge event in the Turbocharged tour. I just can't figure out what the game wants me to do. Milking the last 500 points is near impossible for me.

I hate how they totally changed the way the points are counted, when they could have just made small adjustments. They could have made touching the gravel a disqualify, spinning out a disqualify. But instead they totally changed the system for the worse.

So, anyone who has mastered the new system, what should I do?

PS4 gets a stay of execution, Sony still hasn't emailed me the postage label to send it in for warranty repairs. Looks like tonight I might give this rally a try.

Nice stack bananafactory, you make us bottom folk proud. :)

Heh, thanks

That bottom folk comment got me all riled up, we aren't gonna take that type of abuse!

Hello everyone. I finally dipped and bought this last night. Its been an amazing experience so far. Truly.

When you are heading into a turn that you know is a sharp one, what is your strategy?

Do you take let go of the accelerator, followed by pumping the brake?
Do you jam on the brake? ( Based on my game play so far This doesn't seem to be a good idea.)
Do you drift through it?

Any advice? i just want to understand the mechanics of this particular game, as its a little different from others.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also this is the most beautiful game I have ever seen on a console.

On an unrelated note, Is there anything I should do settings wise that you guys have learned, Is there a strategy you employ knowing the behaviors of the AI?

Basically any tips from A-Z?

ODDI

Is the NeoGaf club still active? I left my information in the club thread but doesn't seem to be active anymore.

User: ODDI
PSN: ZAKKIDO
Region: Caribbean (Trinidad and Tobago)

Hello everyone. I finally dipped and bought this last night. Its been an amazing experience so far. Truly.

When you are heading into a turn that you know is a sharp one, what is your strategy?

Do you jam on the brake? ( Based on my game play so far This doesn't seem to be a good idea.)
Do you drift through it?

Any advice? i just want to understand the mechanics of this particular game, as its a little different from others.

On an unrelated note, Is there anything I should do settings wise that you guys have learned, Is there a strategy you employ knowing the behaviors of the AI?

Glad you are enjoying it! Questions about taking turns are common, your approach will vary slightly depending on what car you are driving but essentially it's this:

1. Drive as straight as possible on the far outside edge of the track (so if it's a sharp left hand turn you want to come in as far right as possible)

2. Release the gas and brake hard and in a straight line. Avoid turning and braking at the same time, this will cause you to lose grip, speed, and time, and you may spin out or skid off track

3. Once you have slowed to an acceptable speed, let go of the brake and turn the car into the corner. If you are able to, gently apply the gas through it until it starts to straight out. Take as smooth and straight a line out as you can, and once your car is no longer turning then hit the gas hard.

This is general advice for taking very sharp hairpin corners, for more shallow turns you will have to assess it with your own judgement and decide how to approach. Often times you can get away with simply releasing the gas and cutting part of the corner/chicane, then reapplying the gas when you are straight again. Also, in certain instances and for smaller corners or slight speed adjustments don't be afraid to brake and gas at the same time, sometimes it is helpful when you need to slow down a little but don't want to fully ease off the throttle

There is an element of practice and trial and error to knowing when to begin braking, some cars will slow down much faster than others, so you need to learn the tracks and cars to know at what point you need to brake for a corner. It's more of a feeling out thing but you will get used to it eventually

Do you drift through it?

So you know about the colour coded flags for the corner severity? Red - slowest and green - quickest. Good rule of thumb if you don't know the braking point is to start braking at the first flag then turn in to hit the apex having released the brake. It will vary though depending on your speed, car type etc but you can adjust and experiment on the next lap. Time trials and challenges are great for this and will keep giving you someone's ghost to beat so you can see what lines they are taking etc.

You can abuse the AI quite a lot without punishment, to get near the top of the leaderboards you need to get them out of the way asap. You're less likely to be punished for leaning on them in a corner than if you rear end them.

Beaten by the Bananafactory :)

Is the NeoGaf club still active? I left my information in the club thread but doesn't seem to be active anymore.

User: ODDI
PSN: ZAKKIDO
Region: Caribbean (Trinidad and Tobago)

There's lots of little gaf clubs as the max no of members is 6.

DrKelpo

Banned
there are still 3 free spaces in my lvl 25 club... if you just want to be part of a club and level it up together without any obligations, pn me :D

desu

Not posted yet?

There's a 0.1GB Game Update (1.17) to download today that fixes a small performance issue with the new challenge menus.

The next Game Update is coming later in June and will continue to evolve the game and move us closer to making the PlayStation Plus Edition available again.

Update 1.18 will be packed with further changes to challenges based on your feedback, new driver levels, new accolades, options to toggle Face-offs on and off, changes to the Drifting Stat (that will make the Hoon-a-Tic Trophy accurate again), and more that we'll be ready to tell you about soon.

Thank you all again for staying with us, sharing your feedback and being a part of an amazing community that keeps pushing us to do more and make DRIVECLUB better for you!

God, that first Lykan P2P when the sun gets right in your eyes about half way... gets me every time, always take that corner too early and barrel roll :/

Love it!
Can I just say this is the view you should have been having.
lxnwcdersx.png

But thanks to DHC, this is what you've actually ended up with!
doylgxxpuc.png

knavish

Screenshot_2015_06_03_23_41_22.png

Great response for day 1! Looks like I'm going to need more slots in my spreadsheet!

Great start by SaberWolf - TRP & DJW haven't posted many times yet so they'll climb the table as the week goes on - same goes for AnythingBut & Vagabone if they keep sticking the times in.

Strong new entries in Chalkitdown & DrKelpo too - looks like we're in for another close one!

hey DHC mate could you add me to the list too please? vix79 is my psn

cheers.... i wont get near button or DJ but will give it a go

graffix13

Thinking of finally picking this up and I just wanted to make sure...

you can play this game in both 3rd and 1st person, right?

This isn't a dig at you Siegmeyer just your post reminded me of it. Why do gamers call the driver position "cockpit cam"? The cockpit is an aeronautical term and if I'm not mistaken there are no aeroplanes in this game and you certainly don't fly them. I have never heard the drivers seat or the interior of a car called the cockpit anywhere else but when referring to the driver cam in car racing games.

This isn't a dig at you Siegmeyer just your post reminded me of it. Why do gamers call the driver position "cockpit cam"? The cockpit is an aeronautical term and if I'm not mistaken there are no aeroplanes in this game and you certainly don't fly them. I have never heard the drivers seat or the interior of a car called the cockpit anywhere else but when referring to the driver cam in car racing games.
Cockpit is used in motor racing. Don't know how it came to be.

Just spent almost an hour on that Lykan challenge for the rally and I still only ended up somewhere middle of the pack. I'm trying though..

Dead last in the Atom challenge - I give up.

Edit: Apparently not when I fully load the leaderboards. Still very frustrating however.

Challenges can be like that, then you might go back to it tomorrow and find a load more time. There's some very fast guys in there who've played the game since launch, beating them isn't an easy task.

My original ideas for the Rally were about it being a single shot at it, the balance between risk and reward just like the real thing but I think that'll come with the private lobbies. This format of rally pushes people to improve and helps teach you the nuances of each track - I've learnt a lot about the Kyle and Trotternish already and there's still plenty of time to go.

So yes it can be frustrating but I'd say if it starts to get like that just move onto the next and don't try to force things... Oh and treat yourself to the season pass ;-)

Shaneus

Can I just say this is the view you should have been having.
lxnwcdersx.png

But thanks to DHC, this is what you've actually ended up with!
doylgxxpuc.png
It felt more like this:
w4xWopG.gif

LOL that'd be me, I put the wrong time in the first rally challenge and turned the course into a deathtrap :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HSJH58Gnst8

The Rimac challenge is all mango's fault tho!
Bahaha... that's hilarious.

I haven't hit that Rimac one yet, think I only did that first one and the Atom one (where I think I'm in the top 10 right now, so I'm happy with that!)

Screenshot_2015_06_05_00_42_45.png

SaberWolf had improvements across the board to stay ahead, Vaga jumped up to 2nd spot after completing all the challenges & DrKelpo is the other noticeable mover and made big gains on most of his times. 15 seconds covers 3rd to 9th place so I think that area is going to be very closely contested.

I've run out of space on the board so got Some work to do - sorry if you didn't get onto the scoreboard after doing some times.

Top Bottom