• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I have a soft spot for them too, they're not seen enough. I'm taking his tactic of mentioning it enough times in the hope it comes true.

Do you really think custom tracks would be good for this game? Learning the tracks is a major part of it, if there's suddenly thousands of custom tracks then all that has gone.

I don't see how any course creator could end up with the atmosphere, track-side details, sense of speed and fine-tuned challenge that you find in the game's courses.

I mean, I'll believe it if I see it, but I really don't believe it. I get the feeling the core tracks took a significant amount of time to iterate and polish.

I used to want some licensed racetracks in the game but I can see how that might clash with the simcade nature of the game say if people could lap the nurburgring in quicker times than possible in real life.

2 new locations in season pass 2 would keep me happy :)

MADGAME

What benefits would a companion app provide to be more of a priority/earlier release than a track editor and private lobbies? View challenges/clubs/stats/paint jobs?

Shaneus

What benefits would a companion app provide to be more of a priority/earlier release than a track editor and private lobbies? View challenges/clubs/stats/paint jobs?
It's community integration. If they can make the game more social outside of being on the PS4 itself, then they're one step further on that path.

IIRC you can actually spectate races through the app - though not sure if that's just utilizing the PS4's built in streaming function, or something else

krioto

I really doubt we'll see a track creator. Like, really doubt.

I'd much rather see another full official location or two.

Agree - would much prefer a few more locations, maybe Antigua, Italy

I cannot see a track creator being done - the environments are so detailed, that any user generated tracks are going to look pants compared to them

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I just fired up the PS+ edition since I was able to get it yesterday and I was just wondering, are there any assist options like all? Like a driving line or rewinds or anything like that?

On a side note, I can sort of understand the initial confusion with the game. It has the rules of a sim, but the handling of a arcade racer, so you really don't know if you're supposed to approach it like GT or like Forza Horizon.

krioto

So I just fired up the PS+ edition since I was able to get it yesterday and I was just wondering, are there any assist options like all? Like a driving line or rewinds or anything like that?

On a side note, I can sort of understand the initial confusion with the game. It has the rules of a sim, but the handling of a arcade racer, so you really don't know if you're supposed to approach it like GT or like Forza Horizon.

No driving lines, no rewinds. Best hint - flag colour indicates corner 'difficulty' - green = easy, yellow = medium, red = sharp corner

Brake before you turn.

Switch to manual gears

Good luck

MADGAME

It's community integration. If they can make the game more social outside of being on the PS4 itself, then they're one step further on that path.
Not saying there aren't some neat companion apps out there, but none come to mind that integrate social interaction in a cohesive manner. To be fair, I've only used a few. Maybe Evo can pull it off.

IIRC you can actually spectate races through the app - though not sure if that's just utilizing the PS4's built in streaming function, or something else
Hmmm interesting.

Shaneus

Not saying there aren't some neat companion apps out there, but none come to mind that integrate social interaction in a cohesive manner. To be fair, I've only used a few. Maybe Evo can pull it off.
Yeah, that's the idea. Forza Horizon kinda did something okay with it how you could use a mobile device as a GPS, but that was only when you were on the same network as the console. I'm picturing something not unlike a combination of the current club/single player stats screen, the communicator (when you press triangle, I think?) and a live TV/replay/PGR-TV-esque thing.

Perhaps even something like a simple 2D map like what they have with motorsport apps where you can track a player's position on a map with minimal fidelity. Who knows? But I reckon Evo could pull it off, whatever it is they choose to do.

Could always wait until next month when they will announce the last content of the season pass and then decide if all the content is worth the price (12 tours + all the cars and liveries).

DC's season pass is one of the most content rich ones out there, definitely get it if you want to play more.

kyser73

Nope, no assists like that. Old school all the way.

The turnaround time when you quit and restart a race is basically as fast as you can hit the relevant menu items tho, so kinda makes up for no rewind.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nope, no assists like that. Old school all the way.

The turnaround time when you quit and restart a race is basically as fast as you can hit the relevant menu items tho, so kinda makes up for no rewind.
It's true, although it sucks when you fail on the third lap and basically have to throw the entire race. I'd probably appreciate at least a driving line though, because I'm still relative novice to these games and I suppose I've become used to them being there to help me through unfamiliar courses.

It's true, although it sucks when you fail on the third lap and basically have to throw the entire race. I'd probably appreciate at least a driving line though, because I'm still relative novice to these games and I suppose I've become used to them being there to help me through unfamiliar courses.
The closest you'll get is to either race with AI and discern their lines and braking points or else run time trials with challenges enabled, since there's a cornering challenge type that paints the driving line over a section of the track.

Prior to Driveclub's launch they were working on a 60fps update and Project Morpheus support - reportedly they made Shu feel sick!

When Morpheus launches next year would you like to see a DC VR appear too? They would have to make some compromises to get the update a rock solid 60fps though we don't know how many - it never ever drops below 30 no matter how many vehicles are on screen and whatever the weather so it's probably safe to say it could already be at 60 in certain circumstances without the frame rate cap.

Would you like to see DC VR even if it means fewer cars / less detail / no weather effects?

Prior to Driveclub's launch they were working on a 60fps update and Project Morpheus support - reportedly they made Shu feel sick!

When Morpheus launches next year would you like to see a DC VR appear too? They would have to make some compromises to get the update a rock solid 60fps though we don't know how many - it never ever drops below 30 no matter how many vehicles are on screen and whatever the weather so it's probably safe to say it could already be at 60 in certain circumstances without the frame rate cap.

Would you like to see DC VR even if it means fewer cars / less detail / no weather effects?

I'd love to see a VR mode that scales down graphical effects for Morpheus support.

Unfortunately I don't know how likely it is - my understanding of Morpheus is that it actually needs 120 fps to have the game be playable in VR

I'd love to see a VR mode that scales down graphical effects for Morpheus support.

Unfortunately I don't know how likely it is - my understanding of Morpheus is that it actually needs 120 fps to have the game be playable in VR

I don't think that's the case, pretty sure the heist demo's they've been showing run at 60 with the reprojection producing the additional frames. I wonder if 60fps will change the driving feel of the game.

I don't think that's the case, pretty sure the heist demo's they've been showing run at 60 with the reprojection producing the additional frames. I wonder if 60fps will change the driving feel of the game.

Ah yeah I forgot about the reprojection feature, I think that's exclusive to PS4. I'm pretty sure Oculus does need native 90-120 fps for its games

Do you really think custom tracks would be good for this game? Learning the tracks is a major part of it, if there's suddenly thousands of custom tracks then all that has gone.
I do, really it is no different to any game that has them, most players will still stick to the Evo tracks, the Tours and MP playlists will still only be those tracks.

Then perhaps they could take what they feel are the best ones and integrate them into the game.

I think as well, given how they pedalled the game as being a social racer, community driven and all of that, having user generated content adds a whole new dimension to that aspect.

Furthermore, as tracks are free they're not losing out on revenue.

I grant you though, I usually spend time making things rather than playing creations!

Well the app was announced with the game, so we're still waiting on it. Private lobbies and a track editor that doesn't actually exist, weren't.

So it makes total sense to deliver on what you promised before you start dishing out features you didn't.

Yeah, that's the idea. Forza Horizon kinda did something okay with it how you could use a mobile device as a GPS, but that was only when you were on the same network as the console. I'm picturing something not unlike a combination of the current club/single player stats screen, the communicator (when you press triangle, I think?) and a live TV/replay/PGR-TV-esque thing.

Perhaps even something like a simple 2D map like what they have with motorsport apps where you can track a player's position on a map with minimal fidelity. Who knows? But I reckon Evo could pull it off, whatever it is they choose to do.
It has this, 2D map replays with brake/throttle meters as you watch the marker go round the track. Well, it had it when it briefly showed up, they could have re-worked the app during all this time of course.

le-seb

More or less, according to VG24/7:

The app is called ‘MyDriveclub’ and through it you can track in-game activity for yourself or other club members. The Challenges section allows you to view in Challenges you have in progress, or create new ones.

The best features by far are a built-in replay viewer that lets you play back Challenge attempts from a top-down perspective and the Live Streaming feature, which notifies you when any of your friends start live-streaming, and lets you watch it through the app.
The challenge play back thingie sounds interesting.

Hopefully when they get the private lobbies up and running we will see more competitiveness between the clubs, at which point I will be looking for a new one after being removed from my previous one (unsure why) Currently just in my daughters club helping her level it up.

MADGAME

Well the app was announced with the game, so we're still waiting on it. Private lobbies and a track editor that doesn't actually exist, weren't.

So it makes total sense to deliver on what you promised before you start dishing out features you didn't.

I would argue private lobbies shouldn't be considered a separate feature worthy of announcements, it's pretty much a basic, standard option in most racing games and not something to add-on almost a year later. IMO, a feature that should have been integrated at launch should be implemented before add-ons.

I'm sure someone's asked this question before, so apologies in advance, but: if you go through an entire tournament/championship and fail to get all stars on the final race, can you repeat just that race for the stars or do you have to do the whole championship again? When I tried to restart after the championship was over, it only gave me the option to redo the whole thing, not a single race.

I'm sure someone's asked this question before, so apologies in advance, but: if you go through an entire tournament/championship and fail to get all stars on the final race, can you repeat just that race for the stars or do you have to do the whole championship again? When I tried to restart after the championship was over, it only gave me the option to redo the whole thing, not a single race.

You can restart any round or the championship apart from the very last event where you need to restart before you cross the finish line to just redo that stage.

Skii

You can but when you complete the last race of the championship, you have to redo the entire thing. So basically, restart any races in a championship if you don't get the 2 stars for the race and restart before you finish the race in the final one of the championship or you'll be forced to redo the entire championship again.

You can but when you complete the last race of the championship, you have to redo the entire thing. So basically, restart any races in a championship if you don't get the 2 stars for the race and restart before you finish the race in the final one of the championship or you'll be forced to redo the entire championship again.

Blurgh. At least I learned this for a two-even championship and not, like, a five-event one. Thanks.

Nyx

I would argue private lobbies shouldn't be considered a separate feature worthy of announcements, it's pretty much a basic, standard option in most racing games and not something to add-on almost a year later. IMO, a feature that should have been integrated at launch should be implemented before add-ons.

Rushy just said in the Plus edition thread in Gaming that they hope to have news on them soon.

Thought I would check out the online races to see how it was. It was all really smooth but my days there are some serious anal beads on there now (and I'm not talking PS+ people, they all seem fine). Somebody called the_gambler529, I just straight up quit all they were doing was trying to wall everyone on straights, corners, into other cars by far thee worst online offender I have ever met and I have met some bell ends in my time. I normally don't call people out but this person was just a straight up cunt.

Just to be positive there was someone called G-RI-CE who was really fun to race against.

Thought I would check out the online races to see how it was. It was all really smooth but my days there are some serious anal beads on there now (and I'm not talking PS+ people, they all seem fine). Somebody called the_gambler529, I just straight up quit all they were doing was trying to wall everyone on straights, corners, into other cars by far thee worst online offender I have ever met and I have met some bell ends in my time. I normally don't call people out but this person was just a straight up cunt.

Just to be positive there was someone called G-RI-CE who was really fun to race against.

Yep there's a lot of those out there. Another reason we need private lobbies

Error1355

As someone who got this at launch and never picked it back up while waiting for the server stuff to get resolved, what has changed since the beginning?

A lot has changed since launch. Features have added such as weather, challenges, photomode, and replays. New content such as the Japan tracks and the free DLC cars. They've also tweaked a bunch of stuff including not being so quick to penalize you for going a little off track or across a corner. Nearly all of the tweaks were direct responses from fan feedback. You should give it another try. It's like a totally different game since launch.

As someone who got this at launch and never picked it back up while waiting for the server stuff to get resolved, what has changed since the beginning?
Tweaks to AI behavior and drafting, tweaked drift scoring, less penalties for cutting corners, OMFGBBQ weather (rain and snow) along with a new starter tour than includes weather, photo mode, replays, gorgeous JAPAN environment and more tracks for the existing locations, new levels and accolades (level 60 is the new cap), UI art changes, more sound options including the option to hear external sounds from within cockpit view, more UI widget options and general bug fixes. They probably rewrote all of their client-server code too which caused the ruckus with the game to begin with.

That's everything I can think of.

Weather
Challenges
Additional country (Japan)
Additional tracks (all countries)
Free cars
Dlc cars
Free livery
Dlc livery
Improved stats
Improved collision handling online
AI slipstream less
New ranks
Some car tweaks
Less sticky offroad / more lenient penalties
Improved crash avoidance online (ghost cars)

Prolly missed a load more too...

Yep like photo mode & replays lol

Are the new tours up? People talking about the PS+ version really got me in the mood for some DriveClub!
I jumped back in last night and I still have so many tour events to do. I'm level 60 and have done maybe a sixth of the tour events in the game? If that.

Still, was damn fun to crank the volume and fill out some missing stars in a few tour events.

I jumped back in last night and I still have so many tour events to do. I'm level 60 and have done maybe a sixth of the tour events in the game? If that.

Still, was damn fun to crank the volume and fill out some missing stars in a few tour events.

Yeah there's so many events! Cars too. Everytime they add new tours I have to learn how to drive certain cars to get three stars. Learning the Atom Ariel was hard. The torque tour has been the hardest one for me. This season pass has been amazing.

I am pretty sure thats next week

Next week.

Thanks!

Shaneus

You know, with games that push the console, I'd happily forgo VR for a full-screen 2D VR-headset experience (maybe with motion support). I know 3D is the ultimate point of these headsets, but I'd much rather have that slight barrier that stops me from thinking it's completely real. Just rather experience it like I'm sitting in front of a massive TV with motion tracking instead :)

You know, with games that push the console, I'd happily forgo VR for a full-screen 2D VR-headset experience (maybe with motion support). I know 3D is the ultimate point of these headsets, but I'd much rather have that slight barrier that stops me from thinking it's completely real. Just rather experience it like I'm sitting in front of a massive TV with motion tracking instead :)

I've not seen any of the virtual cinema things you can try for the Rift but from what I've heard the flat big screen thing isn't so great as you're not using the whole of the 1080p screen as you would on your tv. The bit you actually see is just concentrated into two small parts so the big screen thing just looks very blocky and low res :-(

The original need for Speed game on the 3DO only had cockpit cam which mean they could reduce the external rendered view to what could be seen out of the windows. I think the VR mode should be the internal view only and it might be that they could use tricks like that to reduce the load and get the framerate up.

Top Bottom