• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Ainsz

The publication can publish whatever they want. It is strange that it raises a problem for some that a re-review is out. Had it simply been an article telling how far Driveclub has come and not labelled a review, I'd bet the same people would be fine with it maybe even support it.

I read it last night and I was pretty shocked, I don't really know what it is with this game but people really are loosing their mind with Driveclub.

I really wanted to write something but I feel it's absolutely useless when I read people wanting to see devs burn in hell and denying them any chance to ever correct their mistakes. I mean I've been burned by bad *insert whatever media in here* and there are products I probably wouldn't buy again because I've had bad experience. However why the hell would I deny anyone to chance of a re-review. I really wonder if these people have the same agenda in their real life and I wonder how that works out for them, can't compehend that shit.

As someone who was pretty down on Driveclub and Evolution's continuing failure to get out a PS+ Edition in anything resembling a reasonable time period, but now suddenly owns Driveclub and has been enjoying it so far: I think it's a combination of two things. First, I think there's a general reluctance to let Evolution off the hook for their initial failure (which, let's remember, was pretty massive, even ignoring the PS+ problems). We excoriate other developers for releasing products that remain broken months after release, like Halo: MCC and Assassin's Creed: Unity. I think Driveclub catches extra shit because it was promised as a PS4 launch title, and people get real weird when it comes to console wars.

The second reason I think Driveclub gets hit with so much criticism is, paradoxically, because there's a bunch of GAF players who have followed the game's progress since launch and think it's now a really awesome game. As someone who hasn't been able to play any Driveclub at all until a week ago, it's really hard to tell if the people imploring everyone to give Driveclub a second chance are a) genuinely enthusiastic about a much-improved game, b) genuinely enthusiastic about their Stockholm Syndrome for a game they paid full price for that took at least a month to get to proper working order, or c) console war brigade member.

Throw in the bitterness about not being able to see for yourself without paying for a game that, remember, was broken at launch and lacking a PS+ version that might have allowed them to looksee, and the additional comments about not getting the full Driveclub experience unless you shell out for the Season Pass (aka "wait you want me to pay EVEN MORE MONEY for a potentially busted game?") and you have a perfect storm.

I think some people need to get over themselves re: their enduring hatred for Driveclub, but ultimately the game's poor reputation isn't totally undeserved. Re-examinations like the one from GamesRadar will help with this, and I think that in time, people will recognize Driveclub for the game it is now, rather than the game it failed to be at launch. Getting the PS+ Edition out is a big victory on that front.

As someone who was pretty down on Driveclub and Evolution's continuing failure to get out a PS+ Edition in anything resembling a reasonable time period, but now suddenly owns Driveclub and has been enjoying it so far: I think it's a combination of two things. First, I think there's a general reluctance to let Evolution off the hook for their initial failure (which, let's remember, was pretty massive, even ignoring the PS+ problems). We excoriate other developers for releasing products that remain broken months after release, like Halo: MCC and Assassin's Creed: Unity. I think Driveclub catches extra shit because it was promised as a PS4 launch title, and people get real weird when it comes to console wars.

The second reason I think Driveclub gets hit with so much criticism is, paradoxically, because there's a bunch of GAF players who have followed the game's progress since launch and think it's now a really awesome game. As someone who hasn't been able to play any Driveclub at all until a week ago, it's really hard to tell if the people imploring everyone to give Driveclub a second chance are a) genuinely enthusiastic about a much-improved game, b) genuinely enthusiastic about their Stockholm Syndrome for a game they paid full price for that took at least a month to get to proper working order, or c) console war brigade member.

Throw in the bitterness about not being able to see for yourself without paying for a game that, remember, was broken at launch and lacking a PS+ version that might have allowed them to looksee, and the additional comments about not getting the full Driveclub experience unless you shell out for the Season Pass (aka "wait you want me to pay EVEN MORE MONEY for a potentially busted game?") and you have a perfect storm.

I think some people need to get over themselves re: their enduring hatred for Driveclub, but ultimately the game's poor reputation isn't totally undeserved. Re-examinations like the one from GamesRadar will help with this, and I think that in time, people will recognize Driveclub for the game it is now, rather than the game it failed to be at launch. Getting the PS+ Edition out is a big victory on that front.

An excellent post, agreed on pretty much every point.

I was thinking about a rally on the Indian tracks but I'm on holiday soon so won't have time so if peeps can produce the challenges on Indian tracks using cars from the PS+ version then at least we've got a chance of getting peeps interested! Send me your India PS+ challenges and I'll send them to everyone I know and let see how big we can make this!!

I was thinking about a rally on the Indian tracks but I'm on holiday soon so won't have time so if peeps can produce the challenges on Indian tracks using cars from the PS+ version then at least we've got a chance of getting peeps interested! Send me your India PS+ challenges and I'll send them to everyone I know and let see how big we can make this!!
Yeah I figured it'd be good to go to India too.

I have a request, can we have non-P2P tracks set to 1x time lapse? One of the events last time only gave you a couple of laps day time before it went to night.

Mind you, they're upping capacity slowly, so I dunno if we're better off waiting, as some might not be able to get on and either take part at all, or improve times if they managed to get on and set one.

desu

Would be cool if Driveclub had some kind of API to fetch data from, this would make rallys super simple.

Ebolarama

Banned
An excellent post, agreed on pretty much every point.

Some of that post may make a good point but that second paragraph has a lot of spurious assumptions. There are some people, myself included, who enjoyed the game from launch day. I play almost exclusively offline though, so the connectivity problems never upset me much. I never had any "Stockholm syndrome" feelings for this game. I came in as a huge Forza fan and enjoyed the hell out of drive club because I felt it did what Grid and NFS Shift tried but never could accomplish and I certainly never became involved in the immaturity of the console wars. DC has only improved since launch. His post provides good reasoning about the haters, but isn't very fair to the supporters.

Some of the more obsessive GT players that are messing about in the PS+ edition are massively fun to race against online. They sure know how to make themselves big and block a person that knows the track better than them without driving all over the place. Makes for some great battles, they follow your line perfectly so you can never escape them either.

There are some people, myself included, who enjoyed the game from launch day.
Count me in here - am still surprised by how much this game won me over from the get-go. And like you most of my time is offline, or at least not in the multiplayer modes, though the leaderboards and player ghosts still motivate me. Time Trials make up the bulk of my play, along with some tour events to make me feel like a super bad-ass and the occasional challenge to completely humble me and remind of how much I still have to learn ;p

Also, just got my third star in Dam Busters and man that was a rush :)

AkuMifune

Banned
Also, just got my third star in Dam Busters and man that was a rush :)

A rush is a good way to express my experience with the game. The last driving or racing game I played aside from driver:san francisco was gt3. This feels like the racing from that without having to worry about which brakes i've bought.

I only wish there was some strange driving storymode about my guy addicted to smoking crystal meth before races.

Some of that post may make a good point but that second paragraph has a lot of spurious assumptions. There are some people, myself included, who enjoyed the game from launch day. I play almost exclusively offline though, so the connectivity problems never upset me much. I never had any "Stockholm syndrome" feelings for this game. I came in as a huge Forza fan and enjoyed the hell out of drive club because I felt it did what Grid and NFS Shift tried but never could accomplish and I certainly never became involved in the immaturity of the console wars. DC has only improved since launch. His post provides good reasoning about the haters, but isn't very fair to the supporters.

I didn't mean to cast aspersions on the supporters, really. I meant it more in the sense that, as someone who wasn't a Driveclub player, it was really hard to get a sense of where people were coming from. Most of the things people were praising were very much "you have to experience it to know" kinds of things, like the driving model and the real-time weather and how the DLC packs added so much to the base game. Meanwhile we had a bunch of early reviews ripping the game apart for connectivity problems and, at least personally, a Giant Bomb review saying even the driving model wasn't that great and the game itself not that fun and stuck in the past. And because it seemed like a bunch of the GAF supporters were so fervent in their support, and so quick to shoot down people who had criticisms of the game or the lack of a PS+ edition or whatever, it was hard to tell whether it was a hair-trigger defensive reflex, or informed by a genuine love for the game, or maybe a little bit of both. And I only mean that in the sense that as an outsider, it was hard to tell; it's not to suggest that people weren't genuine in their love for Driveclub.

Now that the PS+ Edition is out, I think it'll be a lot easier for people to come to their own conclusions about whether the supporters were right or not. Based on what I've seen so far of the game, I think it'll help the case of the supporters quite a bit.

Bought the season pass 2 days ago and I'm having a blast. I was also experiencing the weather update for the first time as I originally sold the game before all the updates were released.

Graphics are insane, and like how each car feels different in terms of handling and even accelerating. The mix is just near perfect for me, best racer I have ever played, for sure. I actually want a Driveclub 2 more than a Gran Turismo 7 now!

Would be cool if Driveclub had some kind of API to fetch data from, this would make rallys super simple.

That's a great idea actually, something that requires a level of tech knowledge so the servers don't get overrun with events but could pull all the results off in real time would be brilliant!

Melchiah

Personally, I find that line of thought offensive, which was pervasive in The Order: 1886 threads, as it's just a way to belittle a differing point of view. I sure as hell wouldn't continue playing a game, if it wasn't entertaining to me. No matter what I paid for it.

Same here. I don't play competitively online, I've only participated in DC's challenges. Never even tried its online multiplayer during the months I've played the game.

5taquitos

So who here can't wait for Tuesday? The game is finally getting the car its needed ever since the Japan tracks were introduced (GT-R). The 370Z will be nice to have as well. Hopefully they'll be able to get another Japanese manufacturer or two if car support continues beyond Season 1.

23qwerty

Personally, I find that line of thought offensive, which was pervasive in The Order: 1886 threads, as it's just a way to belittle a differing point of view. I sure as hell wouldn't continue playing a game, if it wasn't entertaining to me. No matter what I paid for it.

Yeah, the game is great even at launch without online.

MattyG

Banned
I've had this since Christmas, but I only played to the rookie championship.

Just started again and I'm having a blast, but I suck. I spin our on corners all the time and I don't know how to best manage my speed on them. Tapping L2 seems to help best, and sometimes I can drift around them with the handbrake.

If I can manage to git gud and finish the core content, I may pick up the season pss. I didn't realize how many new tournaments got added in it.

Also, I sent a request to join someone's club (Viveks' I think, not sure if he still plays though).

krioto

So who here can't wait for Tuesday? The game is finally getting the car its needed ever since the Japan tracks were introduced (GT-R). The 370Z will be nice to have as well. Hopefully they'll be able to get another Japanese manufacturer or two if car support continues beyond Season 1.

I cannot wait to drive the GTR - Nakasendo was made for this car

Shaneus

Yeah, there was a bit to agree with in that post but that particular line made me want to discount the whole thing. If a game is shit I won't play it (and hell, even if it's good sometimes the game doesn't do enough to keep me playing) but that was never, ever the case with DC and even though some people who gave it away early on might think those of us who kept playing have some kind of Stockholm Syndrome going, I think it's just a case of narrow-mindedness and an unwillingness to accept that some titles give more to some people than others and can genuinely overlook faults.

I need to find this re-review thread now. Sounds entertaining.

Racing through the rain using whatever the view is with nothing on screen while cranking 5.1 is almost nauseatingly intense.

I still suck too hard to know whether I think it's a good game or not. Online I tend to finish top 5, playing single player I almost never see the pack. I'm not even crashing into walls nonstop or anything, guess I'm just not going fast enough. I do like my racing games to have a learning curve so I'm not giving up yet.

Melchiah

Yeah, there was a bit to agree with in that post but that particular line made me want to discount the whole thing. If a game is shit I won't play it (and hell, even if it's good sometimes the game doesn't do enough to keep me playing) but that was never, ever the case with DC and even though some people who gave it away early on might think those of us who kept playing have some kind of Stockholm Syndrome going, I think it's just a case of narrow-mindedness and an unwillingness to accept that some titles give more to some people than others and can genuinely overlook faults.

I need to find this re-review thread now. Sounds entertaining.

It's here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1071089

GamesRadar actually gave the game a good re-review.
When Driveclub arrived last year, it was a hot mess. The servers were so flaky, not only was the game's main selling point - its online clubs - reduced to a scintillating game of 'can I even connect today?', Sony decided it was pointless releasing the PS Plus-exclusive trial edition. Well, that's all changed. Not only is the PS Plus edition now on PSN, the original game has been updated (for free) in so many ways, our original review no longer reflected its quality. So it's time to evaluate the Driveclub experience once again.

But even the tour mode feels like it's had some liquid vitality injected into its fuel tank. Driveclub had a slow, sleepy start, but the version that you can buy right now looks incredible, is enjoyable for beginners and racing veterans, and is one of the best examples of online integration yet seen. And any game that frequently has me saying 'I can't believe how good this is' has got to be doing something right. Driveclub is absolutely the best racing game on PS4, and I can't wait to see how it develops next.

The DC and Order threads have both been plagued with accusations of Stockholm Syndrome and fanboyism. It seems like it's unfathomable for some to believe others can sincerely enjoy something they don't. The question is, how many of the accusers had actually even tried the games themselves, and if they hadn't why would they have such a strong dislike towards them? It's not far-fetched to think that it might have been born out of fanboyism as well.

Mabufu

Banned
People doesnt like to be proved wrong, or have some trouble rectifying, to the point that they feel better sticking with their initial point until death.

For some reason you can't customize the look of Nissans, only change their factory colors. Other cars from this pack don't have this problem.

11010314_1140792955937006_8303529014456849710_o.jpg

I'm guessing it is because it is 00:00 in Russia already, maybe it'll magically appear at 00:00 in a short while for the rest of Europe then UK later?

Edit: Is it live in Australia, too.

Top Bottom