• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

AMG

Neo Member
I'm now wondering how the point-to-point tracks are naive - can tracks be naive, what does that mean?
I love the point to point tracks. Running in circles is not fun all the time. Now that I type that down it sounds funny 😂. Lol!!

Shaneus

I agree with them that the social aspects still feel unfinished, but like a lot of reviews say - that DC is doing nothing unique or new - what other game out there right now is the replacement for DC? Is doing what its doing with its track based naturalistic settings in a wide variety of conditions?

Horizon and The Crew are open world. Forza and GT and pCars are sims based upon real world tracks. NFS games are also open world and based upon gimmicks like EMPs and weapons and PvP crashing.

I dunno. DC seems like it occupies its own space and there's nothing else I can play that scratches that itch.
Yeah, I agree with the review but it does seem to ignore that it's literally the only racing game out there right now that has a laser-focus on driving without faffing about with tuning etc.

Social aspects need to be improved massively, though. So in that regard (and a few others) I find it hard to disagree with most of Robinson's coverage.

I get the impression he enjoys the game more than the tone of that article lets on, though. I think he's just trying not to stray too far from Eurogamer's original review (that he did not author).

Just picked up the physical copy at target for 21$. Was wondering how I keep my unlocks from the ps+ edition when I install the game?

Edit: does the season pass include all the DLC?

I get the impression he enjoys the game more than the tone of that article lets on, though. I think he's just trying not to stray too far from Eurogamer's original review (that he did not author).
Yeah, I didn't get the impression the review was being overly negative. Just has some of the complaints I've seen in other places and never quite understood.

Original review or re-review?
The re-review, and specifically the part where DC isn't doing anything new or better than has been done before.

I guess the closest thing to DC for me would be the longer point-to-point tracks in pCars like the coastal highway. I had fun running those courses in early PC builds while waiting the near eternity for DC to release. DC really cranks that up to 11 though ;p

krioto

So, I now want more Nissans - love the little Nismo and the GTR seems to be in a class too low for how good it is.

I was a bit surprised with the last Velocity event - VW bug does not scream velocity to me, but was not a bad set of races anyway - turned out to be the first time I'd driven the bug

nib95

Banned
So, I now want more Nissans - love the little Nismo and the GTR seems to be in a class too low for how good it is.

I was a bit surprised with the last Velocity event - VW bug does not scream velocity to me, but was not a bad set of races anyway - turned out to be the first time I'd driven the bug

They probably did the event precisely because nobody was driving the VW Bug lol.

I agree with them that the social aspects still feel unfinished, but like a lot of reviews say - that DC is doing nothing unique or new - what other game out there right now is the replacement for DC? Is doing what its doing with its track based naturalistic settings in a wide variety of conditions?

Horizon and The Crew are open world. Forza and GT and pCars are sims based upon real world tracks. NFS games are also open world and based upon gimmicks like EMPs and weapons and PvP crashing.

I dunno. DC seems like it occupies its own space and there's nothing else I can play that scratches that itch.

DC clearly defines its own space I can’t actually think of any games that do what DC does and I have played a hell of a lot or racing games since the NES days, a lot of people compare it to PGR but it isn’t really anything like it outside of its core approach to racing style.

I agree with a few of his points such as the tours not being that great. However for me that element is like multiplayer in the Last of Us I don’t really play the game for that, and not where the body of the game lies however I know for many that is what the really enjoy. I would like to see the tours redefined, they need a shake up and add variety if the game is going to be a service for the long term and tour expansions are going to keep on coming, but maybe I’m in the minority.

I think it will be interesting to see where Evolution take the game as there is so much potential on the base of what they have built. Hopefully they can talk about this soon and define what their vision for the “game as a service” actually entails.

Lunar FC

Love getting passed last second on the third race of the championship and losing the title by 1 point. Got to do three races over again, joy!

edit: 945/945

Melchiah

They probably did the event precisely because nobody was driving the VW Bug lol.

Bug owner here, and it was the first manufacturer I maxed. ;)

EDIT:
Love getting passed last second on the third race of the championship and losing the title by 1 point. Got to do three races over again, joy!

That's one of my major gripes with the game. Why can't I replay a round of the champioship after completing it? The other one is, that the achieved challenges are erased if you quit the race before its over, which is annoying when you're just trying to get the missed cornering face-off challenge done, and have to race three rounds or more for it.

desu

That's one of my major gripes with the game. Why can't I replay a round of the champioship after completing it? The other one is, that the achieved challenges are erased if you quit the race before its over, which is annoying when you're just trying to get the missed cornering face-off challenge done, and have to race three rounds or more for it.

Yeah, that has always been annoying!

So fellas...

I've been playing the PS Plus version a lot, mostly online racing and I have a question. Do people race less dirty in the full versions online events? Because every race I get into I have to take a shower afterwards because of all of the filthy, try to slam you into a wall racing.

I place top 3 every time just because I race clean but it is starting to get annoying either way.

.J.

Banned
Just picked up the physical copy at target for 21$. Was wondering how I keep my unlocks from the ps+ edition when I install the game?

Edit: does the season pass include all the DLC?

Just install it. Everything will still be available to use in the game. And yes, the season pass nets you everything.

nib95

Banned
Damn, after my long hiatus from the game (as a result of playing Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Project Cars etc), now I'm back to it I'm well off the pace. Whereas before I could hang in there with the best times among those on my friends list, and sometimes crack the top 100 global times, sometimes even the top 50 or 20, now I'm just struggling to keep up. Just need to get back in to the flow of things. I can feel myself being overly cautious, and instead need to get back in to aggressive racing lines mode.

farmerboy

So fellas...

I've been playing the PS Plus version a lot, mostly online racing and I have a question. Do people race less dirty in the full versions online events? Because every race I get into I have to take a shower afterwards because of all of the filthy, try to slam you into a wall racing.

I place top 3 every time just because I race clean but it is starting to get annoying either way.

Not sure but revel in the filth. Embrace it. Own it.

Become one with it.

Until private lobbies, where the cleansing will take place. Though I do hope some of us do the occasional "no rules lobby" just for a bit of fun.

So fellas...

Nope they are just as dirty, annoyingly. It use to be much worse when they could do PIT maneuvers.

Once you get use to them you can usually easily mess about with most of them but there is another type of player who are on you like white on rice that try place you into a barrier every single fucking second of the race and if they are in front slow down just so they can fuck people up.

I really hope Evolution add ghost racing, i.e. twelve people race at once but they can't collide because even though a lot of people want private lobbies not everyone has a group to play with or like playing with strangers.

airjoca

Driveclub or real life? :)

CJBUzIQVEAA5vvd.jpg

semprfi17

This game has some beautiful effects but I must say I hate how said effects completely destroy my ability to see the track I'm supposed to be racing on. Unless it is a bright and sunny track it is nearly impossible for me to gauge my distance to a turn or even tell how sharp a turn is. I am even having an extreme amount of trouble seeing where the road is leading with the snow and rain effects as well as driving into the sun. Because of this the tour mode is infuriating since the weather and time conditions are preset.

I don't mind having to practice and memorizing the tracks but purposely limiting my vision is b.S.

Denur

How on earth do you drive the Bentley Continental GT Speed, the event that requires you to drive it and win is ridiculous.
You can be in first place before the start of the final lap. The Bentley is a heavy car, much heavier than your opponents. This means that you have slower acceleration and you need to brake earlier. The car makes it up with a higher top speed and better cornering ability. Don't hit any walls, don't hit cars from behind, don't brake while cornering, don't brake too hard; most often letting go off the gas a little, is enough. Try to keep momentum in the slower sections, go with the flow and nudge your way through the other cars (don't hit them hard), steer for the gaps between the cars.

airjoca

This game has some beautiful effects but I must say I hate how said effects completely destroy my ability to see the track I'm supposed to be racing on. Unless it is a bright and sunny track it is nearly impossible for me to gauge my distance to a turn or even tell how sharp a turn is. I am even having an extreme amount of trouble seeing where the road is leading with the snow and rain effects as well as driving into the sun. Because of this the tour mode is infuriating since the weather and time conditions are preset.

I don't mind having to practice and memorizing the tracks but purposely limiting my vision is b.S.

Just like real life then. :)

If you memorize the tracks you should be fine.

Curufinwe

There are a bunch of free cars and two free tours that you have to manually download from the PSN store. I had the game for weeks before checking the DriveClub Add-Ons and seeing how many free items there were.

ZalXII

Just as a guideline, this is how i drive the bentley in this event:

Turn 1 (Left): Full Throttle IF you hit the apex, let go a little if not.
Turn 2 (right): Same as turn 1, easier Apex than turn 1.

Turn 3 (long slow right): Brake into the corner, hold right und slightly feather the throttle to max so the car gets faster slowly but surely without hitting the wall.
Turn 4 (faster left): Full throttle of course, but try to go out -> in for a better line for the next turn. Sometimes, i let go of the throttle a little mid-turn, to get the better line.

Turn 5 (fast right): Full throttle if you hit the apex, sliding is neccesary. Let go and/or brake a little if you see the wall coming.
Turn 6 (peak slower right): Brake hard into it, stay on the inside and full throttle right away when the car is straight.

Turn 7&8 (Little chicane): Full throttle if you stay in the middle, not much room here. Just don't hit the walls and try to get yur car slightly on the right side at the end.
Tunr 9 (very slow left): Almost full In-Out line, so brake hard, and then hit the throttle very fast again, while turning left. I always take this a little drifty, found it to be easier. If you seem to hit the wall, let go off the throttle for a milisecond, multiple times if neccesary, should work.

I really wish we had the option to increase AI difficulty. These new tour packs are way too easy for me, as are pretty much all of them to be honest, bar a few events here and there. The AI drives way too cautiously and offer little challenge to retake first place.

So, I just started playing this game 30 minutes ago, I have the PS+ version. I just hit lvl 2 and got my first car... However it won't even let me use the car without paying the $25 or whatever. Is the free version really this bad from this point on? =\

I asked this a while back and got invited to join a club but for some reason I'm not in it anymore.
Anyways, I need to join a club so my little brother can have access to all the cars on my account - I don't play much and my little brother won't be contributing to the club much but if he could leech of somebody else's club I'd appreciate it.

NoWayOut

So I got the PS+ version this week and after playing with it for few hours I bought the regular version.

Love it! I will eventually get the season pass, maybe if it goes down a bit.

I have to admit that I have always been very skeptical of DC because of the 30fps, but I was surprised how smooth it runs and how well it controls.

I still go back to Project Cars from time to time for some more "serious" driving, but DC is plenty of fun.

P.S.
I would like to race with fellow GAF members. Feel free to send me friend invites. My PSC id is NoWayOut_2k

wowlace

I asked this a while back and got invited to join a club but for some reason I'm not in it anymore.
Anyways, I need to join a club so my little brother can have access to all the cars on my account - I don't play much and my little brother won't be contributing to the club much but if he could leech of somebody else's club I'd appreciate it.

Join mine if you want.

Tortoise Power

It's inactive because I am the only member. I just want to get the club cars, I don't care about being in a "club" or any of that stuff.

Shari

If I buy the physical version of the game whilst already have installed the PS+ version do I get to play without having the disc inside?

Thanks.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
no one still enjoying this game? Just got the ps plus version and was looking forward to hearing what you guys thought about the game?

Also how the HELL does anyone play racing games in cockpit view? it looks amazing, but it's so inferior as far as spacial awareness goes. It's such a pretty looking handicap.

Nick_C

Colin McRae 04 is where I cut my teeth. In the 4WD Advanced Championship they forced the cockpit view, so I had no choice but to get used to it.

I do have a tendency to change up camera angles from time to time. Especially in drift challenges, where spatial awareness can make or break your score.

lordxar

no one still enjoying this game? Just got the ps plus version and was looking forward to hearing what you guys thought about the game?

Also how the HELL does anyone play racing games in cockpit view? it looks amazing, but it's so inferior as far as spacial awareness goes. It's such a pretty looking handicap.

Cockpit view is the only way to drive. I resisted for the first half of DC but the immersion factor is so much better, especially if you have a wheel and sit like you normally drive. Plus you can corner better than third person. I don't do dash or hood cam but they have their place as well.

krioto

Dashcam - call the cockpit goodness without the hampered view, or the Ken doll arms :)

Join mine if you want.

Tortoise Power

It's inactive because I am the only member. I just want to get the club cars, I don't care about being in a "club" or any of that stuff.

It's level 1 atm , I just want to get my lil bro the cars and be done with it tbh. Thanks alot though.

Leunam

Could be. But it's how I played from the beginning, cockpit cam, no HUD, manual transmission.

Zambayoshi

I was really excited to finally use the Nissan GT-R and 370Z in Driveclub, but I can't describe how sad it was that I could only choose factory paint jobs instead of some sick custom designs.

xrnzaaas

I've finally had more time to play the new tours. That Peugeot concept engine sound is hilarious, but overall it drives ok and it's very easy to make controllable slides in it. Almost reminds me of Ridge Racer. :) Also I like how they picked a dry race for the Vuhl... it was very enjoyable in these conditions.

Top Bottom