• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

knavish

Speaking of teams, what's going on there? I've noticed you & TRP have changed club.

Yeah we have split from True Talent and formed our own team. There's now 4 of the old True Talent team in our new team plus Mexican Burrito who is really quick!

The True Talent team are all awesome guys and I have lots of respect for DJW, David etc.

Auctopus

How active is Radec on here anymore? I'm tempted to lose my OT virginity by making Driveclub |OT3|.

I think we should make it a little special seeing as so much has been added to the game etc. since the last OT.

How active is Radec on here anymore? I'm tempted to lose my OT virginity by making Driveclub |OT3|.

I think we should make it a little special seeing as so much has been added to the game etc. since the last OT.

At what point does the OT change over? Is it after a max number of posts? Yeah loads new to add to is, maybe the private servers arrival would be the time to do it. Not seen Radec in here for ages.

Auctopus

At what point does the OT change over? Is it after a max number of posts? Yeah loads new to add to is, maybe the private servers arrival would be the time to do it. Not seen Radec in here for ages.

About 400 pages and then it's down to mod discretion I think. Doesn't make it past 410, usually.

Yeah private servers would be nice to have as a feature. We've probably got a good month or so left in this OT at this rate, tbh.

Pachimari

Thank you.

Another thing, can someone help me with this drifting event? I uploaded a video of my session to YouTube.

[edit]
My record is now 5.600-something. I really need help on this one.

nib95

Banned
Thank you.

Another thing, can someone help me with this drifting event? I uploaded a video of my session to YouTube.

[edit]

I'd recommend doing drifts in third person camera. I usually race in dash cam, but for drifts I always go third person.

Step one.

For the first corner, don't start the drifts being on the far left of the track the entire time. This works for racing because you get a sharper turning angle, but you don't want this for drifting, as you want as long a drift and angle as possible. If the angle is too sharp, you'll just end up going in to the apex too soon, and having less time to drift.

Instead start roughly in the middle of the road (or slightly to the right of that), and a few metres before the drift marker, swing left, then immediately right (giving you that swing momentum) and then tap/hold the handbrake whilst holding right on the analogue stick for a split second, and just a quick tap in the opposite steering direction if you need it. This will put you in to a drift slide, hopefully just before or as you pass the marker (to ensure you get maximum points).

Step two.

After you start the drift (in this instance a turn to the right), try if you can to let go of everything else except the accelerator. Keep the accelerator pressed down fully the entire time, and let go of handbrake and any form of steering for as long as you can. If you try and correct steer early on, you will lose speed and drift points. Try to only correct steer when you're further in the the drift and need to change your angling to stay on course.

After you begin a drift in the right direction, you'll be surprised at how little you have to do to maintain it besides just holding down full throttle.

Also, try not to be in an overly aggressive angle, or have your car completely sideways if you can avoid it. The more sideways you are, the more you will slow down over the course of the drift, the shorter your drift will be, and the less points you'll receive. If you can maintain a drift with only a medium angle, you'll get a far faster and longer drift.

Just apply the above strategy to most drifts and you'll be good. Except really sharp or angled corners (which will require a more aggressive angle during the drift).

If you still can't get it done, I'll upload a video for you.

Here you go, I just did a quick run to give you an idea of the lines to take :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17F_eoQWEmc

Notice that I flick the car into the drifts. Drive away from the corner and then quickly steer into the corner and tap the handbrake to initiate the drift.
You can cut the corner a bit in the second speedzone so that you don't go onto the dirt on the exit and hit the sign. Then feather the throttle slightly in the second drift zone, again so that you don't go to far onto the dirt on the outside of the track.
The last corner is a bit tricky, but full opposite-lock once you've started the drift should see you cleanly through the finish line.

The video isn't an amazing score, but it's clean. You can probably gain more points by spinning the car out, but it doesn't look as nice.

Great example in the video above.

Firetrappe

Neo Member
Here you go, I just did a quick run to give you an idea of the lines to take :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17F_eoQWEmc

Notice that I flick the car into the drifts. Drive away from the corner and then quickly steer into the corner and tap the handbrake to initiate the drift.
You can cut the corner a bit in the second speedzone so that you don't go onto the dirt on the exit and hit the sign. Then feather the throttle slightly in the second drift zone, again so that you don't go to far onto the dirt on the outside of the track.
The last corner is a bit tricky, but full opposite-lock once you've started the drift should see you cleanly through the finish line.

The video isn't an amazing score, but it's clean. You can probably gain more points by spinning the car out, but it doesn't look as nice.

Thank you.

[edit]

Ah, i see that Nib and Fire already got you covered with great explanations and a video. I just recorded a quick attempt myself in the hope that it will help you. Not a great run by any means and i could do better, but it's more than enough for beating the target score of this challenge (as always, my secret nemesis Nib has me beat).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ptIb4_RcI

In addition to what they said, you should do drifts in third person. While they are mostly doable in first person as well, you're handicapping yourself unnecessarily, because it's harder to judge your surroundings and adjust your drift accordingly.

When I'm doing turns with certain cars (one of them was a Ferrari) in the first tour thing for beginners, after hitting the breaks to slow down, turning a bit, then hitting the gas the car seems to swerve left and right like a madman. You hear a screeching sound the whole time.

Can anyone identify from that awful description what I'm doing wrong?

When I'm doing turns with certain cars (one of them was a Ferrari) in the first tour thing for beginners, after hitting the breaks to slow down, turning a bit, then hitting the gas the car seems to swerve left and right like a madman. You hear a screeching sound the whole time.

Can anyone identify from that awful description what I'm doing wrong?

You're putting the power on too quick and spinning the rear tyres, try to feel the grip and either ease it on or tap the accelerator to minimise the wheelspin.

Shaneus

I just had an idea for a club game mode after watching the (IMO) classic E3 Driveclub trailer to focus on the club aspect of DC: Something along the lines of Le Mans or similar, where three different pairs of people (one from each club) drives any car from three specific classes. So, say you'd go Hot Hatch, Performance and Hyper (for example). Pick the same amount of laps per race (so the HH entries would take a little longer, that way all courses/ribbons could be used) and at the end the points are tallied amongst the respective classes. So you might have club A win two of them but B only win one, so club A would win that round.

Sound like a good idea? I'm just thinking of things that could work for the club-based events, because we've not seen many (if any) of those. And with custom lobbies, an event like this could be a shitload of fun. Especially if the Hyper was won by A, Performance by B and it was all down who won the Hot Hatch pairing. Exciting!

Rushy, I'll just mention your name in here so it catches your eye ;)

You're putting the power on too quick and spinning the rear tyres, try to feel the grip and either ease it on or tap the accelerator to minimise the wheelspin.

I'll give it a shot thanks! I guess actual knowledge of cars and racing would help a lot lol.

The things the game does to my heart (mostly because I have a knack for crashing and dropping from third to last in the final ten percent). Especially bad in championships. II had to pause it in the second event here.

Pachimari

I'd recommend doing drifts in third person camera. I usually race in dash cam, but for drifts I always go third person.

Step one.

For the first corner, don't start the drifts being on the far left of the track the entire time. This works for racing because you get a sharper turning angle, but you don't want this for drifting, as you want as long a drift and angle as possible. If the angle is too sharp, you'll just end up going in to the apex too soon, and having less time to drift.

Instead start roughly in the middle of the road (or slightly to the right of that), and a few metres before the drift marker, swing left, then immediately right (giving you that swing momentum) and then tap/hold the handbrake whilst holding right on the analogue stick for a split second, and just a quick tap in the opposite steering direction if you need it. This will put you in to a drift slide, hopefully just before or as you pass the marker (to ensure you get maximum points).

Step two.

After you start the drift (in this instance a turn to the right), try if you can to let go of everything else except the accelerator. Keep the accelerator pressed down fully the entire time, and let go of handbrake and any form of steering for as long as you can. If you try and correct steer early on, you will lose speed and drift points. Try to only correct steer when you're further in the the drift and need to change your angling to stay on course.

After you begin a drift in the right direction, you'll be surprised at how little you have to do to maintain it besides just holding down full throttle.

Also, try not to be in an overly aggressive angle, or have your car completely sideways if you can avoid it. The more sideways you are, the more you will slow down over the course of the drift, the shorter your drift will be, and the less points you'll receive. If you can maintain a drift with only a medium angle, you'll get a far faster and longer drift.

Just apply the above strategy to most drifts and you'll be good. Except really sharp or angled corners (which will require a more aggressive angle during the drift).

If you still can't get it done, I'll upload a video for you.

Great example in the video above.

Ah, i see that Nib and Fire already got you covered with great explanations and a video. I just recorded a quick attempt myself in the hope that it will help you. Not a great run by any means and i could do better, but it's more than enough for beating the target score of this challenge (as always, my secret nemesis Nib has me beat).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ptIb4_RcI

In addition to what they said, you should do drifts in third person. While they are mostly doable in first person as well, you're handicapping yourself unnecessarily, because it's harder to judge your surroundings and adjust your drift accordingly.

I can't for the life of me do it. At least I'm getting 2000 points at the first corner now. I also just checked out your video, and I'm gonna try do it similarly, one more time before I head to bed.

[edit]
Wooooaaaaaahh!!!!

I did it the first time after seeing that video. Amazing, and my driving wasn't even perfect! I ended on a score of 6.979. That was easy lol. Now I can go to bed ahh.

[edit 2]
I'm looking around the menus, and I see, that it says, that I need to purchase the extra events. But I bought the Season Pass during the sales on PlayStation Store, how come I have to purchase the events then?

NewDust

[edit 2]
I'm looking around the menus, and I see, that it says, that I need to purchase the extra events. But I bought the Season Pass during the sales on PlayStation Store, how come I have to purchase the events then?

You have to unlock the license for each piece of DLC. They should be on the game page for Driveclub (So the full screen page on the PS4's main menu). When you go to my add-ons it should be there. Otherwise you could go to the store page for Driveclub and browse to show all DLC and activate them from there.

Pachimari

You have to unlock the license for each piece of DLC. They should be on the game page for Driveclub (So the full screen page on the PS4's main menu). When you go to my add-ons it should be there. Otherwise you could go to the store page for Driveclub and browse to show all DLC and activate them from there.
Wow, that was not cool. Had to do it one by one and there were more than 20 pieces.

I see there are also cars I can buy, even though I already own the Season Pass. I just wanna be sure this is normal?

NewDust

Wow, that was not cool. Had to do it one by one and there were more than 20 pieces.

I see there are also cars I can buy, even though I already own the Season Pass. I just wanna be sure this is normal?

The two cars are just early unlocks, you can get them by playing the game normally. For the ferrari you have to max out the Ferrari accolade (drive x amount of miles with Ferrari's). For the other one you have to get to level 66.

farmerboy

I just had an idea for a club game mode after watching the (IMO) classic E3 Driveclub trailer to focus on the club aspect of DC: Something along the lines of Le Mans or similar, where three different pairs of people (one from each club) drives any car from three specific classes. So, say you'd go Hot Hatch, Performance and Hyper (for example). Pick the same amount of laps per race (so the HH entries would take a little longer, that way all courses/ribbons could be used) and at the end the points are tallied amongst the respective classes. So you might have club A win two of them but B only win one, so club A would win that round.

Sound like a good idea? I'm just thinking of things that could work for the club-based events, because we've not seen many (if any) of those. And with custom lobbies, an event like this could be a shitload of fun. Especially if the Hyper was won by A, Performance by B and it was all down who won the Hot Hatch pairing. Exciting!

Rushy, I'll just mention your name in here so it catches your eye ;)

Well any new modes of play need to be encouraged, particularly anything club related. I think the club side of it has been left wanting. Another good suggestion.

nib95

Banned
Just had the most hilarious online race. Nearly everyone using a Zonda R, just pure destruction derby. Cars flipping over me, beside me, everywhere. Still managed to come third despite a full grid, with me starting near the back. Still lost control and got rammed, or accidently rammed in to others loads. Phew.

farmerboy

We all like clean racing but a bit of biffo can sometimes be a "palate cleanser". Just as exhilirating for different reasons.

But only sparingly.

Oh God, now you got me thinking of a next gen Motorstorm.

Shaneus

Well any new modes of play need to be encouraged, particularly anything club related. I think the club side of it has been left wanting. Another good suggestion.
I just realised that involves only half of a team for that round. I'm sure it could be adjusted to use one car from each class and, say, a special car like the Motorstorm Buggy: Hatch, Sports, Performance, Super, Hyper and Buggy. And bonus points if you finish ahead of a car in the next class. There we go, two full clubs racing against each other!

Good to hear you succeeded in the drift challenge. It takes a while to get t, but once you do, you'll be able to beat most drift challenges in a couple of tries.

In case you're talking about The Ferrari LaFerrari and the Renault R.S. 01, those can be obtained like NewDust said. The purchase option is there as a shortcut for people who don't want to bother with the unlocking, but at least the LaFerrari shouldn't be too hard to unlock if you like driving them. All other cars are either part of the tour packs included in the season pass and should be already downloaded if you added all of those, or free cars given away to all players. In any case, don't spend any extra money on cars.

Pachimari

The two cars are just early unlocks, you can get them by playing the game normally. For the ferrari you have to max out the Ferrari accolade (drive x amount of miles with Ferrari's). For the other one you have to get to level 66.

Good to hear you succeeded in the drift challenge. It takes a while to get t, but once you do, you'll be able to beat most drift challenges in a couple of tries.

In case you're talking about The Ferrari LaFerrari and the Renault R.S. 01, those can be obtained like NewDust said. The purchase option is there as a shortcut for people who don't want to bother with the unlocking, but at least the LaFerrari shouldn't be too hard to unlock if you like driving them. All other cars are either part of the tour packs included in the season pass and should be already downloaded if you added all of those, or free cars given away to all players. In any case, don't spend any extra money on cars.
Very good to know!
I won't spend a dime on the cars, if I can unlock them in-game.
Thank you so much for your help, and I am looking forward to progressing through the tour.

Also, are you guys ever racing together on your own GAF private server?

Very good to know!
Thank you so much for your help, and I am looking forward to progressing through the tour.

You're welcome!
Sadly, we are still waiting for private lobbies, but it looks like they're finally coming. The game director Rushy said they'll come very soon after next month's big update.

Very good to know!

Do a few challenges as often as possible, I wish I had done it earlier as when you get to a few million between levels it can be a bit of a pain in the backside and the challenges that dish out the large amounts of fame are pretty much every 24 hrs, but if you do a few at the start of a session you will be getting a constant stream of fame every time you start the game up that will net you a crap load more than what you would normally get. It doesn't matter where you end up the more people contributing the more points everyone gets, so even if there are only a few hundred people do it anyway as you will be contributing to adding more fame to the pot.

Steroyd

Whew! The PS store is in some dire need of an add to download queue button, jeez not even doing it on my phone made downloading each individual bit of content any less painful.

Struggled when I first started this but now that I see the tells for cornering I'm really digging it, so er... Anyone got a dead club I can latch onto, only planning on playing this occasionally between other games.

miserable

Hello guys, cross-posting this from the Driveclub PSN sale thread, maybe someone can help me:

i have this problem with Driveclub: i had the game on disc last year, and after playing a bit, i sold it. now i bought the upgrade pack (i had the PS+ version downloaded, but i never even started it), and started the game hoping i can pick up from where i left , the problem is that the game doesn't recognize the progress i made in single player mode from when i played the game last year. what's strange is that it recognizes the stats that are tied to my user (driver level, points etc)
anything i could do about this? i really don't want to start the tour mode all over again

Hello guys, cross-posting this from the Driveclub PSN sale thread, maybe someone can help me:

i have this problem with Driveclub: i had the game on disc last year, and after playing a bit, i sold it. now i bought the upgrade pack (i had the PS+ version downloaded, but i never even started it), and started the game hoping i can pick up from where i left , the problem is that the game doesn't recognize the progress i made in single player mode from when i played the game last year. what's strange is that it recognizes the stats that are tied to my user (driver level, points etc)
anything i could do about this? i really don't want to start the tour mode all over again

I noticed your post in the other thread, the problem will be that the save file you had originally was on an EU copy and you downloaded the US version, even though the consoles are region free cross region game saves don't talk with each other, same goes for DLC they have to be of the same region to work.

miserable

I noticed your post in the other thread, the problem will be that the save file you had originally was on an EU copy and you downloaded the US version, even though the consoles are region free cross region game saves don't talk with each other, same goes for DLC they have to be of the same region to work.

i see, that's a shame
thanks for the explanation

KaidoRacer7

Please? :D

60394_HONDA_PROJECT_2_4_POWERED_BY_RC213V_TO_DEBUT_AT_FRANKFURT_A_COMBINATION_OF.jpg

Whew! The PS store is in some dire need of an add to download queue button, jeez not even doing it on my phone made downloading each individual bit of content any less painful.

Struggled when I first started this but now that I see the tells for cornering I'm really digging it, so er... Anyone got a dead club I can latch onto, only planning on playing this occasionally between other games.

Yeah its going to be a pain to download it all. It seems like some of it automatically unlocked too. But I'm going to give it some time so I can start with something close to the base game.

ghibli99

After it not clicking with me earlier this year, I picked up the PS+ bundle and played it for about an hour or so tonight, and I gotta say... I'm really starting to like it. All the FM6 vs. DC stuff seems moot to me, since IMO these games complement one another so beautifully. There's no reason it has to be one or the other. What amazing times we live in.

Rushy tweeted that there's more visual improvements coming.
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/644809840674648064
I wonder what they are

60fps? But that's not really a visual improvement, more performance. Maybe increased IQ.

I'd say that 60fps would also be an visual improvement, not just in performance, but i don't know if that's possible at this point. As far as image quality goes, improved AA and some AF would be nice. The game is beautiful and in the right conditions often looks breathtaking, but these two can hurt the overall impression a bit. Or he could be talking about some new weather effects, like when they added rainbows, fog maybe? Someone in this thread used to point out the lack of motion blur on the wheels in photo mode, it could be related to that.

This isn't as relevant since it's a racing games, but i also wouldn't mind some improved character models for the drivers and maybe even crowd, but that's low on my wish list.

Pallaris

Yeah but its British. How much of the car will still be in one piece after the first lap?

PS4 connected HDMI to receiver. I get drop outs all the time. Mainly the rear surrounds but sometimes the centre goes missing as well. But I've had the centre go missing as well with movies. I ended up doing a warranty on the ps4 and still having problems particularly with Driveclub. Seeing as I also get intermittent problems with movies what's my next step, check all the wiring or do a warranty on the amp?

Not sure about your specific setup. Now i'm wondering if something is amiss with my audio settings.

I've found a clip with the exact issue i'm getting. Similar to this I've had it happen just before or after crashing into a barrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QZZfWeej0g

Other times it will glitch in and out for a couple seconds and then stabilise. sometimes it doesn't recover and i have to restart the game.

Tommi84

I'd say that 60fps would also be an visual improvement

I can't believe Evo would sacrifice the visuals by introducing 60fps. More likely it's fog, wheel blur for replays as well. I'd appreciate some snow lying on the tracks, when it's snowing ;)

Rushy:
How come after returning to the menu after the race I still see the exact same picture from inside a car on Japan track? I know it's great, but I'm getting SICK AND TIRED of it.

Top Bottom