• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

nib95

Banned
Any club I can be part of, while I go get all of the stars in the tour?
I think I have 80, so I got lots left.

Search GAF in clubs. I'm sure they'll be a few with open slots. They'd be lucky to have you if you're going through the different Tours. Lots of fame earning!

How do your brake/corner? Sounds like you're mashing the triggers.

Does everyone do that? I just go all-in.

I killed my R2 pretty quickly playing this game so have used L1 & R1 ever since. I don't do slight acceleration or braking but I do tap like crazy to achieve the same ends. I don't freewheel tho which is a real problem in certain cars.

I wait for your return to do the rally bud, when are you due back?

How do people feel about the rumble in the DS4 in Driveclub?

Personally I have found it a bit underwhelming that could do with a bit of improvement, primarily it not always being active I find it slightly strange when there is no feedback from the road until you are pushing/losing grip. Ideally I like it to be constantly light but smooth on good surface and stronger and imbalanced on stone and dirt then ramp up those setting when rubber is getting a workout, when the car loses grip should be the only time vibration should disappear so you can feel it cut back in again. I even just like a slight rumble when the car is static so there is some connection to the car, as well as slight kicks with heavy acceleration that balances off on steady or maintained speed.

It might be a subtle detail for some but it makes a big difference when done right.

Search GAF in clubs. I'm sure they'll be a few with open slots. They'd be lucky to have you if you're going through the different Tours. Lots of fame earning!

I just did this too, as the one I was a member of seemed dead. Joined one called GAFs Finest. Hope they are still active. Only level 3 though

DD

How do people feel about the rumble in the DS4 in Driveclub?

Personally I have found it a bit underwhelming that could do with a bit of improvement, primarily it not always being active I find it slightly strange when there is no feedback from the road until you are pushing/losing grip. Ideally I like it to be constantly light but smooth on good surface and stronger and imbalanced on stone and dirt then ramp up those setting when rubber is getting a workout, when the car loses grip should be the only time vibration should disappear so you can feel it cut back in again. I even just like a slight rumble when the car is static so there is some connection to the car, as well as slight kicks with heavy acceleration that balances off on steady or maintained speed.

It might be a subtle detail for some but it makes a big difference when done right.

I have no problem with it. I like the way it is. I'm not a huge fan of constant rumbling. But I guess it's because the ridiculous battery the DS4 has. :p

nib95

Banned
Finally hit level 69, but my word did I hate the Trotternish hot lap. Don't like tracks where to get the very best times, you can actually cut corners in several instances, and it's just a case of pot luck trial and error trying to figure out which can be abused and which can't. Glad that's over with!

Finally hit level 69, but my word did I hate the Trotternish hot lap. Don't like tracks where to get the very best times, you can actually cut corners in several instances, and it's just a case of pot luck trial and error trying to figure out which can be abused and which can't. Glad that's over with!
Congrats on 69.

That's the one I'm working on right now, and Trotternish has historically been my nemesis, with its blind crests and off-camber deathtraps. I'm picking it up though, and each run gets a little better and I can recognize plenty of places to improve. Still, I've got to find 5 seconds and that's always a sobering realization, at first.

farmerboy

Congrats on 69.

That's the one I'm working on right now, and Trotternish has historically been my nemesis, with its blind crests and off-camber deathtraps. I'm picking it up though, and each run gets a little better and I can recognize plenty of places to improve. Still, I've got to find 5 seconds and that's always a sobering realization, at first.

Dont fret boys I'm lvl 75 (after much swearing) and if i can do it then bloody well almost anyone can. :)

Shaneus

Dont fret boys I'm lvl 75 (after much swearing) and if i can do it then bloody well almost anyone can. :)
Jesus, where do you find the time? Although having said that, I'm maybe playing once or twice a week :( Getting to level 65 or whatever the next one is will take forever.

knavish

I killed my R2 pretty quickly playing this game so have used L1 & R1 ever since. I don't do slight acceleration or braking but I do tap like crazy to achieve the same ends. I don't freewheel tho which is a real problem in certain cars.

TRP Button has talked me into changing my break and accelerator to L1/R1 and it seems faster off the start line to me. I guess if your R2 is going you wont notice straight away. Switch it to R1 and you might notice a difference.

Suits my driving style too as I feather the throttle through most corners, tapping the r1 button like mad to reduce drifting and wheel spin.

desu

Jesus, where do you find the time? Although having said that, I'm maybe playing once or twice a week :( Getting to level 65 or whatever the next one is will take forever.

20-30 minute sessions a day on challanges with 1000-3000 people will give you tons of fame.

nib95

Banned
That Wombat track based time trial in the Evolution expansion is hilarious. Basically off road modern Motorstorm. Driving straight through the mud and fields like a mad man lol. Managed to get a pretty good time though.

Anyone else think the Evolution expansion is harder than some of the others? I love that it is a little more difficult, but I'm not a huge fan of some of the vehicles. The Wombat is fun but very twitchy and prone to spinning and flipping with sharp elevation or camber changes (at high speed), and the Rimac has the turning circle of a hippo, along with very poor braking distances.

Back on the 27th with some luck.

and the Rimac has the turning circle of a hippo, along with very poor braking distances.
Yeah what a horrendous turning cirlce :p

http://gfycat.com/AmazingLoneAsianwaterbuffalo

PDogg

Neo Member
Won an Evolution Studios drift challenge with over 2000 people in the other day.

12003270_10156023490585655_7446842944453136587_n.jpg

Challenges are where it's at for fame.

LostCanuck

Neo Member
Won an Evolution Studios drift challenge with over 2000 people in the other day.

Nice to know who won that challenge! Congrats! I finished ~120th place and received 300k fame. I ran through that challenge a lot since it was a double xp club car and helped me level up a bunch. I think the double xp was also why there were a lot of entrants. I could match you on all drifts/speeds except that left-to-right S curve drift I was consistently 1400-1500 behind. Nice run!

FYI, for those who were in the same situation as myself. I deleted DriveClub (disc version) from my PS4 and purchased the PS+/Season Pass combo last night and let it download over night. Logged on this morning and my progress was still there and all cars/tours looked to be available except the Ignition Car Pack. All I had to do was go to PS Store and click download and it unlocked in game. Not sure why that pack, but it worked! (haven't check livery packs yet).

Also noticed Double XP for Lambos when I logged on this morning. Not sure how long that has been going on.

PDogg

Neo Member
Nice, well done! I participated in that challenge, but didn't do too well, not my favorite car/track combo.

Cheers, I know the track well from another challenge I spent far too long on :)

Nice to know who won that challenge! Congrats! I finished ~120th place and received 300k fame. I ran through that challenge a lot since it was a double xp club car and helped me level up a bunch. I think the double xp was also why there were a lot of entrants. I could match you on all drifts/speeds except that left-to-right S curve drift I was consistently 1400-1500 behind. Nice run!

Thanks dude. The trick to that one is how you drift across the apex on the first corner of that slalom bit, you really need a 3k drift there with your nose as close to the barrier as possible, to hit 10k overall. I think I got 3900 over those 2 corners but it wasn't easy!

Can anyone explain to me the point of Sprint events?

Unless I'm missing something, they appear to be sub-30 second time trials. So far my experience has meant I've spent more time selecting car/track/environ/etc than doing the actual sprints.

I'm not sure I get them, right now.

nib95

Banned

Unless I'm missing something, they appear to be sub-30 second time trials. So far my experience has meant I've spent more time selecting car/track/environ/etc than doing the actual sprints.

Let's you practice individual sectors easier, and they make for more accessible and less time consuming challenges. If it weren't for them I probably wouldn't have even taken part in as many challenges.

Don't worry, I'm with you.

Plenty seem to like them but I don't get the point of them. Rather just play the full thing. Especially as it takes just as long to run the Sprint as it does to load it and go through the post-event screens.

Doesn't detract from my experience though, so each to their own.

5taquitos

Let's you practice individual sectors easier, and they make for more accessible and less time consuming challenges. If it weren't for them I probably wouldn't have even taken part in as many challenges.

It would be nice if they somehow flowed together better, you do spend a lot of time in menus when doing Sprints. Maybe like a "Shuffle" mode or something.

Shaneus

Oh damn, there are Evo challenges for drifts? I need to pay more attention (and actually play the game more). Shit.

20-30 minute sessions a day on challanges with 1000-3000 people will give you tons of fame.
Aaawesome. I've been working my way slowly through the tours (Torque is a pain in the arse) but I rarely go into the challenges.

farmerboy

Played A LOT from launch till around 3 months ago or so. So plenty of fame tucked away which has helped in attaining the new levels.

Have not played anywhere near enough since then. Basically just to get the new levels plus some challenges.

And now Destiny is trying her best to entice me over there.

Purchased Fame boosters ??

Is evolution preparing to sell xp boosters for a price ? because i saw the message twice during my time online today

ghibli99

After not feeling it when I rented it from GF earlier this year, I'm going to give it another chance. Picked up the PS+ bundle, so I'm looking forward to take two. :)

Plenty seem to like them but I don't get the point of them. Rather just play the full thing. Especially as it takes just as long to run the Sprint as it does to load it and go through the post-event screens.

I guess it's the challenge of trying to top the time sheet with your chosen car but without the frustration of getting to the end of a 4 minute P2P time trial then cocking up the last bend! I don't do many P2P time trials for this reason (I prefer circuits) but the sprints are great, quick to retry and improve your knowledge of the tracks.

Pachimari

Do I understand this right?
Drifting challenges is me drifting obviously, to get as many points in a corner as possible. And Cornering challenges are, where I turn as smooth as possible without any drifting and without loosing control of my car right?

nib95

Banned
Do I understand this right?
Drifting challenges is me drifting obviously, to get as many points in a corner as possible. And Cornering challenges are, where I turn as smooth as possible without any drifting and without loosing control of my car right?

Cornering face-offs are just you having to follow the blue race line. The closer you stay on it, the more points you rack up. Drift face-offs are indeed just the most drift points you can get between the markers, and average speed face-off the highest average speed you can muster between the two markers.

Pachimari

I suck at drifting. I currently need to get more than 6000 points through 3 corners I think, but the closest I have gotten is 5000-something. I find it very hard to collect points through the drifting face offs.

Shaneus

I like them because they can be redone VERY quickly and it's usually easy to see where you stuff up. With the advent of sprints, I can see my time doing drift challenges becoming smaller and smaller. Need that quick dopamine hit!

T_Exige

When I got the game at launch, there was this bonus that gave more fame after each event. Some tours had 300k.
Now I prefer doing tours and get the fastest total time, it gets you alot of fame and miles/km's for manufacturers to level. (Around 160k fame)
I also try to do 3-5 challenges a day, when possible (10-20min)

So after briefly trying the PS Plus edition when it first came out I bought the 20 dollar bundle! Here's what I posted in that thread:

You don't want to drift for the most part, unless it's a drift event. You'll get better times by braking before entering a turn and then accelerating out of it.

Did this in a fairly easy track and did pretty well. I figured it was the strategy I just needed some experimentation (and still do) about which brake to use and how hard.

Went ahead and bought the 20 dollar bundle. Was kind of scared that it's called the Playstation plus and season pass bundle. Should have included upgrade in the title.

I guess when you do that there's no fanfare or anything? You just open the game and the first non starting line tour opens up?

------------
In addition to that are there any tips or resources for a newcomer? I feel like I just dived into the deep end. Or some expression like that.

So after briefly trying the PS Plus edition when it first came out I bought the 20 dollar bundle! Here's what I posted in that thread:

Did this in a fairly easy track and did pretty well. I figured it was the strategy I just needed some experimentation (and still do) about which brake to use and how hard.

Went ahead and bought the 20 dollar bundle. Was kind of scared that it's called the Playstation plus and season pass bundle. Should have included upgrade in the title.

I guess when you do that there's no fanfare or anything? You just open the game and the first non starting line tour opens up?

------------
In addition to that are there any tips or resources for a newcomer? I feel like I just dived into the deep end. Or some expression like that.

Track knowledge is key to success in driveclub and the only way to get that is to put the time in. Often it's tricky to get that feel for a track in a race due to all the other cars around you so I'd really recommend putting some time into time trials with different cars on a few tracks and build up from there. Once your confident in your ability to quickly drive a track, the tours are much easier.

knavish

Track knowledge is key to success in driveclub and the only way to get that is to put the time in. Often it's tricky to get that feel for a track in a race due to all the other cars around you so I'd really recommend putting some time into time trials with different cars on a few tracks and build up from there. Once your confident in your ability to quickly drive a track, the tours are much easier.

also just to add my two pence worth of info in. Once you learn the tracks you'll start to figure out that you can use the dirt on some corners to slow you down rather than breaking and you can get a faster exit i.e. the hairpin at the end of the back straight on BHR, use the dirt on the right and you get a better line through the corner and a faster exit.

If anyone wants to join in our session sometime Button and I will see if we can show you how we take some of the corners. I'm no where near as good as him but I'm OK at this game.

DRIVESCHOOL

Top Bottom