• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I can't believe Evo would sacrifice the visuals by introducing 60fps. More likely it's fog, wheel blur for replays as well. I'd appreciate some snow lying on the tracks, when it's snowing ;)

Rushy:
How come after returning to the menu after the race I still see the exact same picture from inside a car on Japan track? I know it's great, but I'm getting SICK AND TIRED of it.

I didn't mean that they will or should, i'm just saying that there are also visual benefits to 60fps, not just in performance.

As for that loading screen, didn't they add that with the latest update? Maybe we'll get a new one this month. It does look really nice, but i wouldn't mind if there were a few in rotation instead of just the one. I have to admit though, i don't even remember how the previous one looked like.

nib95

Banned
Rushy tweeted that there's more visual improvements coming.
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/644809840674648064
I wonder what they are

Damn this excites me. Hope they improve the anti-aliasing solution.

Please? :D

60394_HONDA_PROJECT_2_4_POWERED_BY_RC213V_TO_DEBUT_AT_FRANKFURT_A_COMBINATION_OF.jpg

Looks awesome. Yes please.

My money is on fog. Mainly because I want it but also because a lot of people have asked for it.

Maybe rock texture improvements with a bit of displacement mapping, that would be the first thing I would focus on improving and then the rain. I'm pretty damn happy in terms of a consumer as there isn't anything on the market that can look as good but that they are improving the visuals again is very impressive and props to the team for pushing what is already brilliant.

My money is on fog. Mainly because I want it but also because a lot of people have asked for it.

Maybe rock texture improvements with a bit of displacement mapping, that would be the first thing I would focus on improving and then the rain. I'm pretty damn happy in terms of a consumer as there isn't anything on the market that can look as good but that they are improving the visuals again is very impressive and props to the team for pushing what is already brilliant.
It'll be fog.

It probably won't be a technical, well the one he says you'll love, won't be a techy improvement because they'll just be kinda marginal improvements. An AF bump or another AA pass isn't going to get people jumping in their seats.

So it'll be something like fog, something you actually see I reckon.

airjoca

Rushy:
How come after returning to the menu after the race I still see the exact same picture from inside a car on Japan track? I know it's great, but I'm getting SICK AND TIRED of it.

Suggestion for Rushy:

Make the game have a pool of images to randomly choose from for the loading screens.

The way I read that tweet, It seems like it'll be more than just one improvement. I hope they add the motion blur to the wheels and also would like to see a lot the suggestions on here as well.

eFKac

One thing I'd like them to improve is AA, first thing that sticks out as a flaw, probably because aliasing is visible on the car, the first thing that catches the eye.

djjinx2

Been playing this again after a break and I forgot how sexy it looks, now you tell me there is more coming. My word.

Fog would be great and I can't wait for the season 2 announcement
rushy plz

The way I read that tweet, It seems like it'll be more than just one improvement. I hope they add the motion blur to the wheels and also would like to see a lot the suggestions on here as well.

I've mentioned the lack of motion blur on the wheels since forever, I'm glad you and others have taken notice now.

Things like that stick out too easily when the rest of the game looks so incredible imho

Shaneus

Rushy tweeted that there's more visual improvements coming.
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/644809840674648064
I wonder what they are
Hm. I'm hoping for better AF, but like someone else said, it could be fog. Or better AA.

Oh god yes. And maybe an improvement to motion blur overall. Despite being older, PGR4, with whatever technique it uses, does it better than any other game I've seen.

It'll be fog.

It probably won't be a technical, well the one he says you'll love, won't be a techy improvement because they'll just be kinda marginal improvements. An AF bump or another AA pass isn't going to get people jumping in their seats.

So it'll be something like fog, something you actually see I reckon.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are technical improvements. When it comes to visuals a big factor in the end product is the ability to be able to test and experiment, which takes a lot of time especially when dealing with code and format limitations. The more time spent the better areas can be tweaked, a designer/programmer will usually always want to improve something they have been working on and try get that extra bit out. Even when a focus is just on implementing the new often that can mean being forced to have a look at how things were done and reimplement them in new ways to work better with the new additions.

T_Exige

Got 2 open spots in my club, "Le Mans Racing" lv50.
Looking for active members, doesn't matter if you are new to the game or since release.
Give me a shout when interested. :)

Some better headlights shadowing would be great too. The current trick not always works well IMHO.

Really? I never see the stuff that people talk about with the AA or motion blur on the wheels and now headlight shadows! The only things I noticed is during the intro's - Yedapalli is probably worst for LOD switching for the shadows and some blurry rock textures on Lytton.

Really? I never see the stuff that people talk about with the AA or motion blur on the wheels and now headlight shadows! The only things I noticed is during the intro's - Yedapalli is probably worst for LOD switching for the shadows and some blurry rock textures on Lytton.

When you're racing at high speeds, use the right stick to look at the side of your car and you'll notice due to the lack of motion blur on the wheels, it seems like car isn't going as fast. It is also very apparent in the replays. The AA doesn't bother me too much and I also don't see the headlight shadows as well but. The motion blur on the wheels is in games like Grab Turismo and Forza. Don't know about Project Cars.

Edit: Even in this PGR video Shaneus posted the motion blur is there on the wheels.
https://youtu.be/DcAvIEd0Ee8?t=5m44s

DD

Look, I won't pretend that I understand the tech in use here, but there are some inconsistencies. For example, here there's no shadow projection anywhere (cars or even that small pole there on the track.

driveclub_201509201344hukw.jpg

driveclub_201509201359tu74.jpg

And when we have the actual shadow projections, they look like something projected by and from a 2D object and not exactly from the 3D geometry of the cars, like this:

driveclub_20150920141veu2k.jpg

driveclub_20150920141jouav.jpg

I'm not trying to shit on the game (which I love) and I know that these pics are awful, but I had to take 'em to exemplify. I also understand that lightning and shadows are big performance consumers in any game at any system, so I don't even know if there's the tech to improve over what Driveclub is doing currently. I do find DC an amazing looking game, still unmatched in it's category. I'm just pointing a few situations where it sometimes look weird to me, and I think that it would be nice to see an improvement over it. But the question is: is it possible? I don't know, but that would make this game look even more awesome.

DD

When you're racing at high speeds, use the right stick to look at the side of your car and you'll notice due to the lack of motion blur on the wheels, it seems like car isn't going as fast. It is also very apparent in the replays. The AA doesn't bother me too much and I also don't see the headlight shadows as well but. The motion blur on the wheels is in games like Grab Turismo and Forza. Don't know about Project Cars.

Edit: Even in this PGR video Shaneus posted the motion blur is there on the wheels.
https://youtu.be/DcAvIEd0Ee8?t=5m44s

I believe that what these games are doing is not actually blurring the wheels movement, but actually changing the whole geometry of it to a fake blurry mesh/texture + transparency.

Shaneus

Look, I won't pretend that I understand the tech in use here, but there are some inconsistencies. For example, here there's no shadow projection anywhere (cars or even that small pole there on the track.

http://abload.de/img/driveclub_201509201344hukw.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/driveclub_201509201359tu74.jpg[IMG]

And when we have the actual shadow projections, they look like something projected by and from a 2D object and not exactly from the 3D geometry of the cars, like this:

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/driveclub_20150920141veu2k.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/driveclub_20150920141jouav.jpg[IMG]

I'm not trying to shit on the game (which I love) and I know that these pics are awful, but I had to take 'em to exemplify. I also understand that lightning and shadows are big performance consumers in any game at any system, so I don't even know if there's the tech to improve over what Driveclub is doing currently. I do find DC an amazing looking game, still unmatched in it's category. I'm just pointing a few situations where it sometimes look weird to me, and I think that it would be nice to see an improvement over it. But the question is: is it possible? I don't know, but that would make this game look even more awesome.[/QUOTE]
I think the difference is the headlights on the road there aren't shadows, they're reflections. Shadows are done fine (for the most part, certainly well enough) but those reflections are kinda gnarly. But I really only notice them in the rear-view when it's wet and there's multiple cars behind me (hopefully).

It's more those reflections are drowning out any shadows that might be cast as they're from the same light source as well.

[quote="DD, post: 179435017"]I believe that what these games are doing is not actually blurring the wheels movement, but actually changing the whole geometry of it to a fake blurry mesh/texture + transparency.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you can tell once they hit a point it changes from a 3D rim to a 2D texture to simulate motion blur. And for the most part, it's done quite well and works fine. I'm expecting something a little better for DC given there's motion blur across the rest of the screen, but you can tell even in the trailers for DC (at least, the E3 one) motion blur on the wheels is done "properly":
[url=https://vimeo.com/68526865][img]http://i.imgur.com/E17XICBm.png[/url]

The high scoring drifting nonsense has reached new heights:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPYNb5pW8AArsY7.png:large[IMG]

Rushy please![/QUOTE]
Yeah, just a little bit ridic. I have a feeling it will get fixed quite soon.

Having said that, maybe we could just hold off until I've earned some more points? I managed to get to 65 when I took the FXX (for double fame) out on SBR in the rain. So many points!

mace999

Neo Member
The Devs are sometimes in here right?!?
I see the season pass is on discount in the U.S. & Europe but not in my region Asia?!? Can the Asian community get some love please :)

Drifters

I'm going to guess fog is in the next release... along with "dynamic" cloud cover. The "random" bit just seems like weird wording of a specific type. Also... I really hope the dynamic weather gets touched up a bit since it seems like I always start off dry but then rain starts falling right after I hit the gas. Stupid nit pick but seems like it happens all the time.

PDogg

Neo Member
The high scoring drifting nonsense has reached new heights:

CPYNb5pW8AArsY7.png:large

Rushy please!

Yeah, just a little bit ridic. I have a feeling it will get fixed quite soon.

Not too sure what they need to be fixing here chaps, I'm fairly certain those scores are legitimate. I've had 44k on that track with those conditions in the Agera R and I could have done much better. That score puts me 29th in the world (in the Agera). If you think that drifting before the drift zone is a genuine game mechanism then they're not doing anything untoward.

Anyone only scoring 12k on any variation of this track really needs to rethink how they are approaching it. The final corner has huge points available, legitimately, if you ignore the second to last drift zone and just go full throttle down the final straight (140mph+ is what you need) and then you start your drift at the first corner of the long final bend and drift all the way round and over the line.. I see so many people calling these guys out for their high scores when in reality they are just very very very good and hitting the drift from much further back than you are and going a lot faster. I've played nothing but the drit since October last year so I feel I know it well enough.

The only cheats I see are people over-rotating drifts (which lowers your speed score for the next zone and often isn't worth it) and smashing in to walls which everyone does so it evens it out. I would like a wall penalty of some sort but it isn't a major problem.

There is the issue of multiple corners in a single drift zone and people doing more drift's than than there are corners but that's only on a small number of tracks and I try to steer clear of those.

airjoca

Oh I'm not saying they're cheating. I'm saying I don't agree with this "points system".

In other tracks on a similar situation (car / distance / speed) you can only do a fraction of those points. It's not consistent. There's some sort of crazy multiplier that kicks in in certain specific situations.

NEW SPRINT TRACKS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7WUYVjBVL0

PDogg

Neo Member
Right, sorry, I did try and edit out the word cheat as much as possible, I appreciate nobody said that.

I honestly can't say I've noticed much in the way of crazy multipliers but even now, 11 months on, I'm still learning more about how much control of the drift you actually have and how much you can push certain cars in certain situation for massive scores vs what most people get.

Right, sorry, I did try and edit out the word cheat as much as possible, I appreciate nobody said that.

I honestly can't say I've noticed much in the way of crazy multipliers but even now, 11 months on, I'm still learning more about how much control of the drift you actually have and how much you can push certain cars in certain situation for massive scores vs what most people get.

About that specific phenomenon, i'm not even mad, it clearly still takes skill to do that. I just want to understand how exactly the drift mechanics work to allow such huge point discrepancies and as airjoca has said, some consistency about it.

You have to admit though that the drift scoring system isn't flawless as it is right now. I've noticed you on the current drift challenge in Oliver's Landing, you were 6th for a while, so i'm sure you know what i'm talking about. I tried my best to do a clean run there and would get to around 4k after numerous tries, with the first place being over 5k. While i'm sure someone better could still make a better clean run, the guy in the first place was clearly having a laugh. I stopped at every drift zone to see what his ghost was doing and he was drifting off into the dirt in every corner, then as he was reset to the road, he'd set his car a bit back, so he could pick up more speed before the next corner and do the same thing again. I tried to emulate that and was immediately scoring better, though i quit trying at around 4.4k, which got me to place 16 at the time. Surely you'll agree that something isn't right when it's more lucrative to drift off the road in every turn, than to do a nice clean run.

Edit: I see you addressed that further down in your first post. The thing is, sure everyone does that, but you're sort of forced to, if you want to keep up. They should just discourage that type of behavior in general by subtracting score if your whole car leaves the road and invalidate the entire score for that corner if you hit a wall.

PDogg

Neo Member
There are problems and a definite lack of visibility of how it all works, absolutely, cant deny it. That Oliver's Landing challenge is horrible, it's one of the few drift circuits that's really open to massive score abuse from over-rotation and multiple drifts per zone. In fact I find most of Evolution's drift challenges tend to use a terrible choice of car and they often chose the tracks that are most open to abuse, it's odd and it leads me to believe they don't quite understand it either.

In all honesty I would implement -

- Score deduction/penalty for slowing down below x speed, to try and stop people over-rotating and to keep speed up.

- Score deduction/penalty for smashing into a wall at over x speed. A tap of a wall is excusable but the blatant drifting fast over the apex and slamming into the wall tactic is not.

- I'd make the drift zones smaller and speed zones larger and I'd also limit drift zones to 1 corner rather than sections with multiple corners.

- I'd also add some form of training video to enable more people to improve and understand what they're meant to do. It's very daunting at first, especially with the scores people get these days but it's oh so rewarding, best game mode ever for me, and I've always hated drifting!

Overall, on the majority of tracks, I find that clean fast runs are equally as successful as doing all the other rubbish, so it doesn't stop me enjoying it and I can drift as clean as possible and still be reasonably competitive.

With the double points for Ferrari event last weekend I set myself a little challenge to get to the top of the scoreboards for every Ferrari on the first Nilgiri Hills Sprint event - I think I got first on all but 2 (damn you Jbrookes!)

Seeing as we've got 2 new Sprint tracks today, does anyone fancy taking me on for who can get the most top 3 places using a Ferrari on those 2 tracks? Competition is bound to be way higher now I've mentioned it on here, but maybe it'll get some more of you as addicted to the sprints as I am :)

I wouldn't be surprised if there are technical improvements. When it comes to visuals a big factor in the end product is the ability to be able to test and experiment, which takes a lot of time especially when dealing with code and format limitations. The more time spent the better areas can be tweaked, a designer/programmer will usually always want to improve something they have been working on and try get that extra bit out. Even when a focus is just on implementing the new often that can mean being forced to have a look at how things were done and reimplement them in new ways to work better with the new additions.
Yeah I don't mean there won't be any technical things, but rather that what Rushy is saying to the person they'll love is unlikely to be technical as that's not generally something to go nuts over when we have a fairly high bar already.

That suggests something either substantial, or new. Ergo, fog.

Less blurry texture isn't something to go selling in my opinion :p

nib95

Banned
How many people do you guys think downloaded the PS+ free and full editions? Because I just saw a cousin of mine who recently bought the game is 4.8 millionth position on the leader boards. Rushy did say the 2 million sales figure was before the release of the PS+ version, and before any official sales. I wonder if the new push the game received improved sales in any tangible way.

How many people do you guys think downloaded the PS+ free and full editions? Because I just saw a cousin of mine who recently bought the game is 4.8 millionth position on the leader boards. Rushy did say the 2 million sales figure was before the release of the PS+ version, and before any official sales. I wonder if the new push the game received improved sales in any tangible way.

I've just booted up missus account which I used to set the first rally - she has 79,000 points and is a level 3 and her rank is 2.3 million. Going by that I'd say most ranks lower than hers will be PS+ players who've not bought the game, though I'm sure there will be some who've picked it up in the recent sale and haven't yet put an hour in.

Firetrappe

Neo Member
Have any of you had the game crash on you when you go to view a saved replay?

I've had it a couple of times in the last few weeks now. The replay appears to save ok, but when you select it from the replay menu it starts to load, then the game crashes just before the 'view replay' message appears on the screen.

It only happens on certain saved files which appears to indicate there is some corruption happening to the file during saving. The error code is 'ce-34878-0'.

I've sent details and video evidence to Sony as instructed after the error screen. I was just wondering if this is a common issue people are having?

Just had a couple of ideas occur to me that I think would improve the online multiplayer time trials...

1. Let them count towards the actual records for that track. At the moment you purely compete against the guys on the server but often these arent very balanced and people get hacked off and leave. If you could see where your best time ranked in the world it would give peeps the incentive to stay and try to improve.

2. Online Sprint events. Again keep the records and rank in the world but the events could be shorter than the 10 mins for the circuits so quicker rotation to keep them fresh.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Just bought the full game + DLC and I have some questions:

I'm assuming the Driveclub tour is the base game because any of the other events I tried were far, far more difficult. Should I finish the Driveclub tour before trying the DLC events?

Were weather effects added into the Driveclub tour or will I have to wait until the DLC events? I haven't encountered any rain/snow yet.

How do I equip liveries? I downloaded a bunch but when I select a car I can only choose from the basic paint jobs.

Finally, does anyone have a club with a free spot for me? I doubt I'll be playing a huge amount but I always like to have a racing game in my rotation.

le-seb

I'm assuming the Driveclub tour is the base game because any of the other events I tried were far, far more difficult. Should I finish the Driveclub tour before trying the DLC events?
Not necessarily. But the DLC events would be a bit easier that way.

Were weather effects added into the Driveclub tour or will I have to wait until the DLC events? I haven't encountered any rain/snow yet.
Nope, the tour events lack weather effects.

How do I equip liveries? I downloaded a bunch but when I select a car I can only choose from the basic paint jobs.
Liveries are tied to custom paint jobs, which you can customize from the garage.

Finally, does anyone have a club with a free spot for me? I doubt I'll be playing a huge amount but I always like to have a racing game in my rotation.
SansFrontieres has a free spot, if you wish. Just send a request and I'll add you.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Not necessarily. But the DLC events would be a bit easier that way.

Nope, the tour events lack weather effects.

Liveries are tied to custom paint jobs, which you can customize from the garage.

SansFrontieres has a free spot, if you wish. Just send a request and I'll add you.
Thank you for answering! I'll send a request later tonight.

Just bought the full game + DLC and I have some questions:

Yes, the Driveclub tour is the base game and is generally a bit easier than the season pass tours, although those can also vary in difficulty and some of the latter ones are easier than the first few. Precipitation hasn't been retroactively added to the original tour, presumably because a lot of people would have already finished the tour before the weather update happened and all the newcomers would be handicapped, which in turn would have made a mess of the leaderboards, not to mention all the race objectives would have to be adjusted.

The first tour with weather effects is the Elemental tour, which is commonly considered one of the harder tours, if not the hardest. Following that every tour incorporated the new weather effects.

The Driveclub tour is a bit more friendly to newcomers with its more gradual difficulty curve, but if you want to experience rain and snow without worrying about difficulty for now, you could just set up single events, which let you fully customize weather, time of day, passage of time and AI difficulty. Or you could just try out some random dlc tours, it doesn't hurt to try. :)

Liveries can be customized in your garage (upper right hand corner in the main menu), choose any car and on the next screen you can make 4 custom presets (5 if you're a club owner), which you'll be able to choose from before races. You can also switch manufacturer paint jobs by pressing square while on the first slot, although some cars have more variations than others, and a few only have a single one.

nib95

Banned
Woo! Finally level 75. But damn man, that was one of the hardest challenges yet! Not sure how some of you pulled off 1:14's. I literally only skimmed the 1:16 target by the skin of my teeth, and only after several attempts. Weird because I found some of the earlier ones dead easy. I guess it's all about just knowing the tracks. Doesn't help that the Gumpert Apollo is a maniac that freaks out if you so much as touch dirt, or floor the throttle.

Top Bottom