• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Sliding should never be faster in any racing game in my view, arcade or not, Driveclub got it perfect, you can drive like a nutter and be ok but to be fast you need to have skills from simulation games, and understand that exit speed is more important than entry speed.

I agree with the wholeheartedly, drifting can be fun but it isn't a form of racing and should stick to the OTT arcade games like Mario Kart or the competition format like in real life. Want to fuck about drifting? go for it but don't expect it to win you anything, I always build drifting cars in sims because they are super fun but I don't use them for racing as they get battered and so they should.

drotahorror

Sliding should never be faster in any racing game in my view, arcade or not, Driveclub got it perfect, you can drive like a nutter and be ok but to be fast you need to have skills from simulation games, and understand that exit speed is more important than entry speed.

I should have clarified, it's not a problem with Driveclub, it's MY problem. It's too much fun and I can't help myself from doing it. Hitting some sick drifts in the Zonda while pouring rain and just redlining it in low gear while not gaining any sort of traction is some of my greatest moments in a racing game.

Just got this on my new Ps4 along with the season pass. So far it is an absolute thrill! The changing weather patterns are sublime.

Like Forza Gaf,is there a Driveclub Gaf club I should join up with?

nib95

Banned
Just saw this video and It makes me happy to know that people are giving Driveclub a second chance and realizing that the game is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZFBizFnMp4

You can tell the initial reaction this guy had with the game is the same one many reviewers did. It's a bit of a racing culture shock at first. Aggressive AI, hard races, steep learning curve, no hand holding, rewind, tuning, assist options, driving lines or anything, just the game ever insisting you practise and get good. Glad he gave it another go and stuck through the initial difficulty curve. Once you do (especially with the Super and Hyper cars), it really is super rewarding and satisfying.

Rivanov

Banned
Welp, I think it's time to pack up and call it a day, never going to get higher than this on a leaderboard:

xM7lrMr.png

The Kyle forward, Ferrari FXX K leaderboard.

Blurred because it's my real name, is there any way to make it show my PSN ID on my own screen instead?
I want to know as well. Other people do see my PSN ID though?

You can tell the initial reaction this guy had with the game is the same one many reviewers did. It's a bit of a racing culture shock at first. Aggressive AI, hard races, steep learning curve, no hand holding, rewind, tuning, assist options, driving lines or anything, just the game ever insisting you practise and get good. Glad he gave it another go and stuck through the initial difficulty curve. Once you do (especially with the Super and Hyper cars), it really is super rewarding and satisfying.

I too struggled at the beginning but kept playing because like he said, when you do that race in the tour mode 3-4 times and then you finally get all 3 stars, it's so satisfying.

Just saw this video and It makes me happy to know that people are giving Driveclub a second chance and realizing that the game is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZFBizFnMp4
DriveClub |OT3| Shut the Fuck Up and Drive

Ya know, the one part of that video that sticks out the most for me is "OK Devs, I'll play it your way", and I wish more people who play games and review them would hold fast to that idea, at least at first. Before comparing a game to its competition or even to your own expectations, try to play the game the way it seems intended and see how well *that* works. Many DriveClub reviews held it to a different game's standard and seemed unfair to me, whereas other reviewers nailed it for not living up to its own vision, which I find to be entirely justified. This is something I notice a lot these days and applies to far more than just DriveClub though.

Cut through about 7 of the DLC packs on the weekend. Have 990/1035 stars, just the 45 of Unite in Speed to go.

Really enjoying it, and still can't believe how much it has changed since launch/when I played last.

Would be nice to see the "changeable weather" vary a little more though. Seems like most of the time you're starting a race in the fine, sunny environment and within 5 corners it's spitting and the race turns wet for the remainder. Happens a LOT. Would be nice to see more sporadic showers, weather coming and going etc..

Evolution pack was a lot of fun, I liked the dev team integration. Lambo packs have been a favourite and the Horsepower tour was great fun as well, love those cars. Some clever race names in there too, I liked FAST AS FXXK haha

Game is so pretty.

Can see me spending/wasting so much time in photo mode going ahead post tours.

Fingers crossed we get a season pass 2.

Coming from racing games like Forza and Gran Turismo, I had a bit of a difficulty curve as well. Very rewarding once getting used to a particular car though.

I have a free spot - GAF NSW

Great! I just got the game so I'm still learning the ropes, but I'm having a blast so far. With such a small club limit, I may eventually make my own though with a couple close friends.

LostCanuck

Neo Member
Played for about 5 hours this past weekend. I'm still playing the original tour in order and knocked out some tour events and had a lot of fun. My new 'toughest event' so far is 'Ruf Ride', that car took some practice getting used to. I remember a few others mentioning throttle control being important in DC but I never really felt it that necessary until I drove the RUF. It was a challenge and seems like it was a precursor for what was to come in Hyper cars. I have found the original tour events so far have a nice flow to them that has helped me develop my skills and prepared me for the jumps in difficulty.

Knocked out the Pro Trophy with the 599 GTO fairly easily. Had a close call with the 1:42 laptime on BHR (had to restart that round once) but the rest wasn't so bad.

As for the Hyper Cars! These cars can fly! Definitely a step up in difficulty. As I mentioned earlier managing the throttle coming out of turns that I learned with the RUF really helped me out. I love Cayoosh Point time trial (Canadian Rally event). I thought I was never going to get the 2:28 or even 2:31 times after my first few runs, but after practice and a switch in cars (from Lambo Veneno to McLaren P1 GTR) I was able to get it, that P1 is a blast to drive.

Can't wait for the Venom Hot Lap!

I recently had so much to do for college that I hadn't played the game for months. I decided to try it yesterday and HOLY FUCK. The career mode has 990 events now, lol. Also, so many cars! Lambos! And the graphics seemed improved too, I noticed there was less aliasing.

I just read there's a big update coming next month, I can't wait!

EDIT

So I see that Evo actually made DRIVECLUB a platform... not just a game. I wonder how long will the updates keep coming. Love all the support they've been giving.

NewDust

Asking for someone on another forum.

The guy bought the ps+ upgrade for €40,- at launch of the game. He was able to play the game normally. Now his ps+ has lapsed and he is not longer able to play the game.

That's how his storepage looks...
nvm, blocked site, apparently. It shows no sign of ever having bought the game. Has anybody ever heard of this happening to other people?

The guy bought the ps+ upgrade for €40,- at launch of the game. He was able to play the game normally. Now his ps+ has lapsed and he is not longer able to play the game.

nvm, blocked site, apparently. It shows no sign of ever having bought the game. Has anybody ever heard of this happening to other people?

I believe it has happened to people and was an issue with licences, has he tried resetting them, failing that he needs to talk with Sony Support and they will re-enable them.

desu

I remember that the user Stacey here had the exact same problem, not sure what the outcome in his situation was, you might have to drop him a PM.

I've just lost access to the full digital version of the game because my PS+ expired.

The full game has been removed from my library and the store is trying to charge me £34.99 to play,

I've restored licenses and restarted my ps4 but nothing.......

What the fuck Evo/Sony?

Finally off the phone with Sony.

They've opened an investigation, asked the usual bullshit....."is your connection wired or wireless?" seriously?

Made me trawl through thousands of emails to find find my purchase email from Sony. (7/9/2014 pre-order)

Now I play the waiting game urgh ffs.

Sadly he has been banned so no idea how his outcome was.

NewDust

I believe it has happened to people and was an issue with licences, has he tried resetting them, failing that he needs to talk with Sony Support and they will re-enable them.

Well since there is no sign of it ever being bought, resetting the license file won't do anything, as there is no license file tu pull. Still have recommended that to him, as well as just searching for his confirmation mail and contacting Sony.

Sadly he has been banned so no idea how his outcome was.

Was just looking for this myself, saw a post from Stacey defending DC in the 2 million sales thread, so I guess the issue was eventually resolved.

drotahorror

1035 stars last night.

Last race was pretty crazy, especially with that FXXK running out front.

Glad I came back to this, really enjoying it now.

Grats!

I love Driveclub but I really need some motivation to go and work on the DLC tours. I usually just log on to bang out some evo challenges (terribly).

Auctopus

Software 3.0 tomorrow. Should I make the driveclub community for us or does someone else want to do it?

I don't mind doing it but I won't be able to do it until I'm home from work 6pm GMT.

Software 3.0 tomorrow. Should I make the driveclub community for us or does someone else want to do it?

I don't mind doing it but I won't be able to do it until I'm home from work 6pm GMT.

There's quite a few out there already but I think theyre getting wiped when the official 3.0 lands.

NewDust

Well since there is no sign of it ever being bought, resetting the license file won't do anything, as there is no license file tu pull. Still have recommended that to him, as well as just searching for his confirmation mail and contacting Sony.

Was just looking for this myself, saw a post from Stacey defending DC in the 2 million sales thread, so I guess the issue was eventually resolved.

OOPS EDIT: Got contacted by Stacey's friend... Apparently the issue was NOT resolved and Sony just said to pony up the cash to buy the game again. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Have no hope that the issue in this case will get rectified in a decent manner.

Real edit: was meant to edit but, hey now it's here anyway.

drotahorror

OOPS EDIT: Got contacted by Stacey's friend... Apparently the issue was NOT resolved and Sony just said to pony up the cash to buy the game again. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Have no hope that the issue in this case will get rectified in a decent manner.

Real edit: was meant to edit but, hey now it's here anyway.

Didn't you even have the receipt? How could they deny you it? This makes me wish I had kept all my receipts since most of my library is digital.

NewDust

Didn't you even have the receipt? How could they deny you it? This makes me wish I had kept all my receipts since most of my library is digital.

Well It's not me, but someone from another forum. I don't really know the guy, but just wanted to try and help him out. But it seems this is not easily fixed by something like resyncing the licence or redownloading. His case is now with Sony, but even than you have to meet the right support people. Some are just unwilling or unknowing. I don't know if he keeps receipt, atleast I do.

But I will return to this when his case has a result, now let's go back and talk about this wonderfull game.

Shaneus

There should be something in their purchase history, too. I was having a poke around there the other day and things dated right back to 2012.

But having said that, Sony support can be absolute assholes when dealing with financial matters. I had my account hacked somehow (still don't know how they did it) and about $60 or so (from memory) of wallet spent on fucking FIFA points (didn't even own the game). Didn't take responsibility and of course didn't refund my money. I've heard other people have had better experience with it (this is the Australian/European service desk BTW) but persistence might be key in this case.

I love Driveclub but I really need some motivation to go and work on the DLC tours. I usually just log on to bang out some evo challenges (terribly).
Same. I'm now just going through and cherry-picking the tour events I can get quickly/easily. Only just finished some epic race a few tours back ("Venomous" or poison or something it was called... had the Lambo Veneno and Hennessey in it) which took me many retries, so that's how far behind I am.

Still having a blast though, obviously.

Hit 60 last night, so I was finally able to give the elite challenges a go. I thought I read you got a heap of Fame for doing the lap time, so I was a little let down to find that wasn't right last night haha. Got a good chunk of Fame to earn for the next level now..

Grats!

Ta!

I finished the tour back on launch (mainly because that was all there was to do at the time), but hadn't played it again until a couple weeks ago when the Season Pass went on sale. Probably never would have played it again if it hadn't have been for the sale.

Now I don't feel like putting it down!

Top Bottom