• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I've been having a few ideas for events once the private servers arrive, but I need to try to figure out all the details. Some of the ideas are a bit extreme and will probably never happen but I think they'd be fun :)

1. DC League - Hypers are the top division and hatches the bottom. Promotion & relegation up and down the leagues. Season lasts for weeks, 10-12 players per division.

2. 24 hours of Driveclub. 3 or 4 man teams, passing the controller, full 24 hour endurance event!

3. Team v Team knockout competition.

4. Team based pairs knockout competition.

We'd have to come up with rules about collisions unfortunately as we can't rely on the game to punish fairly or accurately at the moment. This would probably mean someone submitting video evidence and having a panel of judges make a decision - I'd hope the spirit of fair play would mean we never had to resort to it but when the stakes are raised it can be an issue.

I would be in full support of the DC league idea.

Ainsz

I've been having a few ideas for events once the private servers arrive, but I need to try to figure out all the details. Some of the ideas are a bit extreme and will probably never happen but I think they'd be fun :)

1. DC League - Hypers are the top division and hatches the bottom. Promotion & relegation up and down the leagues. Season lasts for weeks, 10-12 players per division.

2. 24 hours of Driveclub. 3 or 4 man teams, passing the controller, full 24 hour endurance event!

3. Team v Team knockout competition.

4. Team based pairs knockout competition.

We'd have to come up with rules about collisions unfortunately as we can't rely on the game to punish fairly or accurately at the moment. This would probably mean someone submitting video evidence and having a panel of judges make a decision - I'd hope the spirit of fair play would mean we never had to resort to it but when the stakes are raised it can be an issue.

+1 on the DC league idea. With a bit of expansion that could be really competitive. Also the obligatory club v club tournaments need to happen. I'd add that an initial qualifying round for each race in a tournament would be good. And probably a knock-out style qualifying tournament to sort out the DC league rankings at the beginning?

Club v club racing might actually make the club aspect relevant.

Might have to take up that offer if it still exists Shaneus. :)

I believe the original idea was that clubs would gamble fame against each other, I guess that fell by the wayside and by now unless they made fame worth something to clubs with even more unlocks then that part would be pointless. I wonder if there is any more news on the mobile app or if that will never happen? Rushy?

Marlenus

I like the league idea. Not sure if I have the free time for it though unfortunately but if it does come about it would be interested.

Issues to resolve with the league idea :-

Time zones! Live events are always going to be at stupid times for someone, somewhere (Farmerboy / Shaneus)

No shows! People have real lives too which will take precedence at times. How do we handle this (no points? Only use the best 5 results?)

Collisions / Disputes! One idea I had was that we limit the number of drivers to ten per league and we have a referee drive at the back of each event. They save the replay and can review the footage from all angles and make a judgement on any disputes before the next race begins. Of course this requires people to put time aside to referee which can be a pretty thankless task...

Interest / Numbers! We're looking for between 50 & 60 drivers who are going to be reliable and show up to compete every week. The most we ever managed for a rally that could be played at any time to suit themselves was about 29...

+1 on the DC league idea. With a bit of expansion that could be really competitive. Also the obligatory club v club tournaments need to happen. I'd add that an initial qualifying round for each race in a tournament would be good. And probably a knock-out style qualifying tournament to sort out the DC league rankings at the beginning?

We'll see what options are available with the private servers. I should imagine there will be a qualifying mode (at least I hope so!) and yeah a qualifying tournament for the league would be cool to put everyone in their respective divisions :)

Shaneus

Club v club racing might actually make the club aspect relevant.

Might have to take up that offer if it still exists Shaneus. :)
No room anymore, tiger! That, and Kings isn't exclusively Australian (and never was, really). Just a bunch of dudes! So the only way leagues of any kind would work is if they were asynchronous.

I believe the original idea was that clubs would gamble fame against each other, I guess that fell by the wayside and by now unless they made fame worth something to clubs with even more unlocks then that part would be pointless. I wonder if there is any more news on the mobile app or if that will never happen? Rushy?
I think the clubs are going to tie in pretty intrinsically with the app itself, so I'd be surprised at this point if we don't see it. Picturing organising clubs/races/challenges on my phone and getting realtime updates about whether they've been beaten or not. Maybe a 24hr challenge that has live notifications/replays?

It's still coming, I'm sure :)

rawd

Haven't stopped playing the tour events since I bought it for $20. Love this game. Getting the Elements gold was a straight up bitch and I love/hated every minute of it.

ZalXII

I hope they revive old mechanics as an option for private lobbys instead of just giving us the same Multiplayer with a little more feel-good factor.
Namely no ghosting of any kind (collission, lapping), the tail happy collision mechanics where you spinned out very fast and had to develope defence methods, walls and grass slowdown increased like back then, the strict penaltys from the beginning.
Like an option for classic Driveclub gameplay, because it was altered a little too much for my taste with patches. Give us classic Driveclub options or sliders for every altered mechanic.

The current implementation is good and all for random races, but private lobbys have a completely different feeling and the now "good" mechanics may and i'm sure will feel out of place there, too casual.

One very dissapointing moment for me was to realise lapping cars is no thrilling experience anymore, instead they just ghosted these players a few patches ago and you can drive through them, very not entertaining. Before that, you had to make sure to drive by fast and safe, you never knew wether this player wants to fuck you up or lets you pass fairly. Some drivers even made room for an easy lap which was always a good fair moment for me, as well for him. Sensable respect on both sides is always good thing.
I can understand why some or better many poeple didn't liked this, but it's just same same now with every lapped car in endurance races.

And it's not like the skill ceiling here on Gaf is any different than in random MP races, you have slow drivers here, fast drivers, very fast drivers, insanely fast drivers, some inbetween. So even in GAF only endurance races (and sometimes even normal races) lapping will occure. Imagine how unfun and disconnected from the experience they feel when the lapped driver sees someone driving through them and the lapping driver doesn't have to make any difference in his driving behavoire while lapping. And both are friends talking to each other over voicechat while this happens. Thrilling, NO, Boring!

The same with other altered mechanics. There is absolutely no real harm from crashing anymore, hard crahes transforms the crashing car in a ghost (meh), touching a tale of someone does so much nothing that nobody noticed it happend. I really liked it too counteract a try to spin me or to stabilize an unintentional touch. Now, they are the same nothingness = Boring!

Touching the wall, forced or just normally unintentional does almost nothing now, sometimes it even helps you. The same with grass contact, some of the best times or more like all of the best times are abusing the small impact grass and dirt has as better brakes. Hell, even i use it very often on almost all tracks. I find that ridicoulus sometimes, like the first two corners on Tamil Nadu (but not only them), drive through dirt and you get a better time.

I hope they think about this, if not in the upcoming patch which would be understandable, then maby in future patches.

Leagues shouldn't be set to just one class per league, tbh I'd think it'd get a little monotonous, should mix it up so the fastest are the fastest in all classes as I'm sure there's some who excel in hot hatches/sports who ain't as speedy in hypers. :)

I had an amazing endurance race the other night that I hope will become the norm once the private servers arrive. Skillet, Maki and I were within a couple of seconds of each other for the entire race, with several mini battles, lead changes and mishaps, with the win after ten laps and over 15 minutes coming by a tenth!

Probably way too long a vid to get many hits but I find it compelling - I ran out of replay mode (as you can see in the vid) and only had 10 mins set on the share button but I've pieced it together and shown the battles from different players perspectives so you can see how it all pans out. I think it's easily the best race I've been involved in and has some funny moments too if just for how panicky I was on the last lap. Anyway, grab a brew and I hope it entertains you all the way to the end like it did me....

https://youtu.be/_2iR33nU4dA

farmerboy

I'm at work so couldn't watch the whole vid but here are 3 quick things i took from this vid shannow,

1. Zal is right. Lapped cars should not be ghosts.

2. Maki, that has got to be the worst livery I've laid eyes on. Ever. :)

3. Shannow, mate, I'm in fits here listening to your throttle inputs. I do something similar but you take it to another level! Props though, cos you're faster than me.

Great race.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I had an amazing endurance race the other night that I hope will become the norm once the private servers arrive. Skillet, Maki and I were within a couple of seconds of each other for the entire race, with several mini battles, lead changes and mishaps, with the win after ten laps and over 15 minutes coming by a tenth!

Probably way too long a vid to get many hits but I find it compelling - I ran out of replay mode (as you can see in the vid) and only had 10 mins set on the share button but I've pieced it together and shown the battles from different players perspectives so you can see how it all pans out. I think it's easily the best race I've been involved in and has some funny moments too if just for how panicky I was on the last lap. Anyway, grab a brew and I hope it entertains you all the way to the end like it did me....

Great race! How do you keep switching between each player though?

Great race! How do you keep switching between each player though?

Pressing left and right on the D pad let's you cycle through the player you watch. The video skips in a couple of places, those are where I pressed the wrong way and looked at the wrong car, I snipped those bits out in share factory...

I'm at work so couldn't watch the whole vid but here are 3 quick things i took from this vid shannow,

3. Shannow, mate, I'm in fits here listening to your throttle inputs. I do something similar but you take it to another level! Props though, cos you're faster than me.

Great race.

Trust me, I was bloody glad those 2 lapped cars weren't solid! Would've been gutted to have my race screwed up on the last lap!

As for the throttle, yeah I think I'd be knackered if I'm ever forced to use proportional control!

Leagues shouldn't be set to just one class per league, tbh I'd think it'd get a little monotonous, should mix it up so the fastest are the fastest in all classes as I'm sure there's some who excel in hot hatches/sports who ain't as speedy in hypers. :)

I'm thinking the promotion / relegation could happen each week. So everyone does 6 or so races and the top & bottom 2 are promoted or relegated for the next event.

Edit: Wow 5 negs on the vid in 6 hours from 22 views, impressive :)

Can't help but wonder if these kids even watch your videos or are merely pissed at you for taking sides in the Button/Kie affair. Or have you created your very own "fan club"?

I doubt they watch them, and I think it's most likely an anti-GAF thing. Vids I don't 'advertise' on here don't get many hits and get no negs (I only have 10 subscribers!) so I think the likelihood is that Kie and myself get this as we post the most vids on here.

kie25

I doubt they watch them, and I think it's most likely an anti-GAF thing. Vids I don't 'advertise' on here don't get many hits and get no negs (I only have 10 subscribers!) so I think the likelihood is that Kie and myself get this as we post the most vids on here.

Yes this is just a neo gaf thing guys, it's same on project cars forum, and I'm sure it's the same group, it's not even People who play Driveclub I don't think. I put 3 vids on project forum helping people out with setups got hammered with downvotes, neogaf clearly has a hate group or my other theory is it could be some daft PS4 vs Xbone rubbish, which is stupid as I have a xbone ha.

kie25

Great race.

Lapped cars should be ghost, if you want your race ruined by people parking on corners then making these cars not ghost will mean you will get these idiots every race, it happens on Project cars, and project cars online races are much cleaner than Driveclubs in general, ghosting cars that are lapped is the correct thing to do. Loosing a race because a lapped idiot decides to take you out would be a joke.

nib95

Banned
Yes this is just a neo gaf thing guys, it's same on project cars forum, and I'm sure it's the same group, it's not even People who play Driveclub I don't think. I put 3 vids on project forum helping people out with setups got hammered with downvotes, neogaf clearly has a hate group or my other theory is it could be some daft PS4 vs Xbone rubbish, which is stupid as I have a xbone ha.

Based on some of the Twitter posts I've read from certain folk, I'm going to guess it mostly is the latter. Pretty hilarious when you think about it.

Denur

Based on some of the Twitter posts I've read from certain folk, I'm going to guess it mostly is the latter. Pretty hilarious when you think about it.
XBox vs PS4? Wow, that would be pathetic. Especially if they are paid to do this and not from merely a fan-boy point of view.

Tbh i don't give a rats arse about downvoters ect, i just play the game, enjoy it and stick my 2 fingers (British remember....no yank one finger shenanigans here) up to em. I think i have one or two people who seem *miffed* at me, but i'm too old to be bothered. ^^

LOL that is pretty sad if true, 'stop posting videos of a good looking ps4 game!'

Still you look at the comments section on a lot of gaming websites and the console war drivel that's spouted is just incredible so yeah I can believe that is the reason behind the downvotes.

farmerboy

Lapped cars should be ghost, if you want your race ruined by people parking on corners then making these cars not ghost will mean you will get these idiots every race, it happens on Project cars, and project cars online races are much cleaner than Driveclubs in general, ghosting cars that are lapped is the correct thing to do. Loosing a race because a lapped idiot decides to take you out would be a joke.

Maybe not public but private lobbies why not?

kie25

LOL that is pretty sad if true, 'stop posting videos of a good looking ps4 game!'

Still you look at the comments section on a lot of gaming websites and the console war drivel that's spouted is just incredible so yeah I can believe that is the reason behind the downvotes.

Yes this is my view and i don't get it, I own both consoles, hardly use my xbox but still own it for odd exclusives etc.

Yes this is my view and i don't get it, I own both consoles, hardly use my xbox but still own it for odd exclusives etc.

Looks like my downvoters are based in Austria - 10 views of the hyper battle vid, 7 dislikes and with an average watch time of..... 3 seconds!

I agree - also, pretty sure they weren't ghosts out of the box, and that they added it like 3 months back or so because I remember people being idiots as you rightly say using a track as a playground.

Hey looks I was there in front for all of twenty seconds :p

Makikou

I try my best. Berlinetta sucks so it gets the appropriate livery. Fucking no power against 650S. Right behind Shannow on Start/Finish line, probably a bit better exit off the last corner of last lap into the uphill and the moment i leave draft i get left behind. *Shrug* Still fun though.

Also, oh hell no i don't want lapped cars to be solid in Driveclub. Even in premier events @ iRacing, people don't understand what they should do while being lapped. If sim-racers with much more sim-racing experience than people in Driveclub can't realize that letting cars on the lead lap by on the straight is more efficient than in corners, imagine what would happen in Driveclub.

farmerboy

2 weekends ago i watched Australias premiere endurance race. 1000km on Mt Panorama.

6.5 odd hours, 161 laps, driver changes, accidents, a heap of DNFs, 1.3 sec gap to 2nd.

And sooo many cars got lapped, some multiple times. Funny thing though, none of them were ghosts ;-)

Maybe we need a toggle to flash our lights.

Makikou

2 weekends ago i watched Australias premiere endurance race. 1000km on Mt Bathurst.

6.5 odd hours, 161 laps, driver changes, accidents, a heap of DNFs, 1.3 sec gap to 2nd.

And sooo many cars got lapped, some multiple times. Funny thing though, none of them were ghosts ;-)

Maybe we need a toggle to flash our lights.

You do realize that is still a 100000% completely different thing? These people risk their own lives there.

Ame

A week and a half left in October. Update me Rushy!

pfrTmdd.gif

Yeah, of course I do! Just having a bit of fun. But I still think you should be going around people, not through them.
https://youtu.be/Qds0Odeu5ok
They say the impact was about 40g.

https://youtu.be/fZhycna5j28
Different class.

Jesus I can't believe he got out of that second one!

I remember (cos I'm an old twat) the old days of F1 where it often settled down to be a procession to the line apart from when the chaos of passing backmarkers threw a spanner in the works and messed thing up. Back then it improved the show and gave you hope that the guy you were supporting would take advantage of the situation better than his rivals. I'm not completely against the idea of solid backmarkers on private servers but I don't really think they would be necessary (whose gonna want to hang around and get lapped?) but they were incorporated for a reason on the public ones - on more than one occasion I had someone park up at the side of the track so he could get me on the next lap!

As for the other points raised, I pretty much disagree completely. The spate of close race videos I've posted recently are due to the less sensitive collision between cars and the fact that the dirt doesn't stop you dead - bringing those features back would be a backwards step imo.

Hey looks I was there in front for all of twenty seconds :p

We had some good races and a good laugh that night, looking forward to the next time we all get on at the same time.

I try my best. Berlinetta sucks so it gets the appropriate livery. Fucking no power against 650S. Right behind Shannow on Start/Finish line, probably a bit better exit off the last corner of last lap into the uphill and the moment i leave draft i get left behind. *Shrug* Still fun though.

Yep we both know when you had an equal or better car you won every time, that's what was so special about that race - the berlinetta levelled you with us :) The faster driver will usually win the longer events as luck counts for less in them, that's why you should always pick the slower car ;-)

Auctopus

Just read two comments on a Reddit thread that said they'd jump back in to driveclub once there was an easy campaign and auto-braking.

Ew. Why even bother playing?

Rushy

Just read two comments on a Reddit thread that said they'd jump back in to driveclub once there was an easy campaign and auto-braking.

Because, as we've found, there are hundreds of thousands of players whose skills simply aren't up the challenge and they need a helping hand. And not just to progress, but to have fun too.

We always wanted to be as inclusive a game as possible, and these options open up to the game to more people, and ultimately for more to enjoy it.

I don't plan to play on easy, or use the braking assist (as its slower), but I can appreciate that other players struggle when playing DRIVECLUB. And that this might encourage those players to invest more time into the game, because they're now having more fun, and in the long run might improve enough to play on normal or reduce the braking assist.

kie25

You need to realise not every one is good at racing games some people enjoy playing them but ain't very good, so if this gives them that enjoyment I don't see it causing any harm, remember these guys will still be way off the pace with brake assist, and if they can use it online which I'm guesing they will be able to, it will only help smoother cleaner racing in my view. 1 the big reasons I stay away from Driveclub online is that there are so many poor drivers, project cars attracts better racers in general, if this helps 1st bend carnage it's great, Evo are trying to cater the game to a broad range, it won't effect the fast drivers as there will be no benefit or advantage in brake assist.

Vaga

Because, as we've found, there are hundreds of thousands of players whose skills simply aren't up the challenge and they need a helping hand. And not just to progress, but to have fun too.

We always wanted to be as inclusive a game as possible, and these options open up to the game to more people, and ultimately for more to enjoy it.

I don't plan to play on easy, or use the braking assist (as its slower), but I can appreciate that other players struggle when playing DRIVECLUB. And that this might encourage those players to invest more time into the game, because they're now having more fun, and in the long run might improve enough to play on normal or reduce the braking assist.

Hopefully these changes aren't the 'big' announcement :)

And I'd better not see a rewind feature in Driveclub or I swear I'll snap the disc in half.

Nyx

You need to realise not every one is good at racing games some people enjoy playing them but ain't very good, so if this gives them that enjoyment I don't see it causing any harm, remember these guys will still be way off the pace with brake assist, and if they can use it online which I'm guesing they will be able to, it will only help smoother cleaner racing in my view. 1 the big reasons I stay away from Driveclub online is that there are so many poor drivers, project cars attracts better racers in general, if this helps 1st bend carnage it's great, Evo are trying to cater the game to a broad range, it won't effect the fast drivers as there will be no benefit or advantage in brake assist.

Me and 3 friends bought the game on release but only me and 1 other friend have gotten (fairly) good in it, the other two, who have played racing games before, just can't ''get'' it in this game. They also both do not play anymore due to it and that's a shame.

So yeah I'd think that there's quite some people who need a bit of extra help.

Top Bottom